PDA

View Full Version : Running in Caithness

porshiepoo
17-Jun-09, 14:14
I've been running on my treadmill for a while now and while I'm not physically fit enough for a marathon I would like to know of any runs that are local to Caithness during the year. Does anyone know of any?
I know that Treadmill running is very different to outdoor running and once I've gathered some more confidence and my dog is a tad older I shall start to venture outside.

Are there many runners in Caithness? Running clubs? What about 5k runs, half marathons etc? I believe there's to be one over on the Orkneys does anyone have info on it?

Also where do all the Caithness runners go for their running gear? I don't think buying running shoes or sports bras off the net would be a sensible option as we need to try before buying, so where does everyone go?

canuck
17-Jun-09, 15:09
Porshiepoo, good luck to you.

When I read the title of your thread I thought that you were standing for election. Good luck if you decide to do that too.

edayhouse
17-Jun-09, 15:35
Hello

Well being a new runner myself i recently started running with the Thurso group on the following nights

Monday meet at the Thurso Harbour at 6pm - run for 5 miles (to lighthouse and back)

Friday meet at the Thurso Squash Courts at 5.15pm and run for 5.2 miles around Thurso!

There are probably more runs happening but these are the only ones that i know about.

Also Brora 10k run coming up as is Golspie and the Thurso 10k over the gala week.

For my running gear i went to Run 4 it in Inverness, they were really good.

Anyway good luck and if you are in Thurso and need a running partner to start off with then give me a shout

porshiepoo
22-Jun-09, 18:42
Thanks for the replies guys.
eday house, I'm not brave enough to run outside yet plus I know it's going to be a rude awakening. Very different to the treadmill as I have no wind resistance for one thing. :eek:
Would you know where to findinfo out on the brora, Golspie and Orkney runs? I don't seem to be able to find them on Runners world.
Thanks for the info re thurso running club.

edayhouse
22-Jun-09, 19:24
hi there

go to this website http://www.born2run.co.uk/Pages/Events.aspx for details on up and coming runs.

You will be running outside in no time!

Good luck

Bazeye
22-Jun-09, 19:38
Hello

Well being a new runner myself i recently started running with the Thurso group on the following nights

Monday meet at the Thurso Harbour at 6pm - run for 5 miles (to lighthouse and back)

I can imagime running up the hill from Scrabster is fun. :eek:

Fran
23-Jun-09, 03:07
Isn't there a fun run during gala week/

Tristan
23-Jun-09, 06:45
If you go to http://www.mapmyrun.com/ you can plot your own runs, get a good idea of the distance and you can track your progress. It is used by a lot of people so you may be able to search your local area and find runs that people have already posted to get you started - good luck.

porshiepoo
23-Jun-09, 11:52
Thanks for the replies and links.

Bazeye, you made me giggle there. lol. I thought the exact same thing. My mum and I were at Scrabster a couple of monday nights ago - we were killing time as I'd arrived too late for the pictures and we had 2 hours to kill for the next showing - and we saw the runners. We both commented on how runners had to be either very nuts or committed to run up that harbour slope.

Tristan, thanks for that link. I'll certainly give it a go.

edayhouse, thanks again. The thought of running outside for all to see still gives me the heebie jeebies, but I'll get there. Gonna have to as it'll make any fun run, half marathon etc pretty darn impossible for me if I don't huh. lol

So how do you know when you're ready for these runs?
I'm self teaching at the mo and just gleening what I can off the net. The only prob is that opinions differ on training plans.
I basically started at the walk, jog method and I up the amount of minutes jogging every couple of session (I try to do about 4 a week). Plus, to stop the boredom I often throw in a minute or so each jogging session of running. So if I'm jogging at 5 mins, walking2, jogging 5, walking 2 (for about 40 minutes) then each jog will have a minutes run in it. Don't do it every time though as I haven't a clue if it's even the right thing to do.
Problem is that we've had visitors for a few weeks so I've only just started getting it in regular again - set me back a bit.

Viking Girl
23-Jun-09, 12:46
I have posted below a training programme to get you running continuously for 30 minutes. It's a tried and tested method that was used by many for the Castle of Mey 10k. And it sounds like you could start half way through it. Although the thought of running outside is not good for you, I would totally recommend getting off the treadmill and experiencing running outdoors, you won't want to go back to the treadmill!! Plus you'll see your progress way more, well I think so anyway. You can do it!!

With edayhouse totally recommend Run4it in Invermess, really helpful and friendly staff. Wiggle and sweatshop are good for online purchases.

Scrabster hill isn't that bad although it looks it.....Lover's Lane and then that first bit going up Castlegreen Road were always the worst bits for in on my running routes in Thurso.

Anyway - good luck!!

Beginners Run Programme – Get Started

Points to remember:

Always leave at least a day between sessions
SLOW RIGHT DOWN!! – Many people become disheartened because the “run” sections feel very uncomfortable and leave them breathless/sweating. This is simply because they run too quickly! Initially, slow right down – you should be able to comfortably hold a conversation whilst running. Over the programme as endurance is built it really does become easier!!
On the walk sections walk purposefully and be strict with your run/walk timings.
Don’t be afraid to repeat a week or drop back a week – every one is different.
Be patient – You WILL get there!
Enjoy! – When it gets tough remember the many benefits of your new-found fitness – weight loss, more energy, better health and higher self esteem.

WEEK ONE
Run 1 minute, walk 1 minute 30 seconds. Repeat 8 times. Do this 3 times a week.

WEEK TWO
Run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute. Repeat 7 times. Do this 3 times a week.

WEEK THREE
Run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute. Repeat 6 times. Do this 3 times a week.

WEEK FOUR
Run 5 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Repeat 4 times. Do this 3 times a week.

WEEK FIVE
Run 8 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Do this 3 times a week.

WEEK SIX
Run 12 minutes, walk one minute. Repeat 3 times. Do this 3 times a week.

WEEK SEVEN
Run 15 minutes, walk 1 minute, run 15 minutes. Do this 3 times a week.

WEEK EIGHT

Run 30 minutes continuously………Do this 3 times a week….

porshiepoo
23-Jun-09, 17:09
Many thanks Viking Girl, that's brilliant info
I've been doing the week 4 of your plan but I got there really really slowly as I've only been increasing by 1 minute at a time.
It's quite inspiring to know that I can jump right up to the 8 minutes. I definitely feel ready for it as I'm recovering very well between runs.

What would be the average run speed on a treadmill for a jog. I know everyone is different with a different pace etc but I've been walking at 5.5 and jogging at 6.5. I increased the jog from 6.2 as I didn't feel I was working enough. I feel great at the 6.5 (it's hard to jog slow on a treadmill) but I don't know if its a good pace or a tad slow. I only ask because I noticed that a half marathon run was saying it closed after 2 1/2hrs :eek: even at the 6.5kph I am doing now, I couldn't finish in that kind of time.

vaughan
23-Jun-09, 19:04
Hey porshiepoo, if you have just a little incline on the treadmill then outside won't be quite the shock you expect. I started running on a treadmill and being aware of the need for an incline to replicate the effort of running outside used to have it at 2%. When I eventually ran outside I found I had overestimated and ran twice as far as I could do on the treadmill. A happy running day inded ! I reckon 1% / 1.5% is about right.

I wouldn't worry about what is a "good" speed to jog. Just do what feels right at the moment. As you are able to increase your distance and fitness you will find a gradual increase in pace. Patience is definately a virtue with running.

Viking Girl
23-Jun-09, 19:31
Good advice on the incline :D

Run at what you feel comfortable, the best advice I got when I started running is run at a speed where you can comfortably hold a conversation, but obviously as you are running you will be putting in some exertion and so will be a bit out of breath.

Don't get hung up on your min pace per mile and we can all manage different paces, I'm quite a slow runner but it still is hard work for me running at my pace :lol:

Finding a training partner is another good piece of advice, for motivation, advice and learning!

porshiepoo
23-Jun-09, 21:07
Funny thing that about the incline Vaughn. When we first got the treadmill, every time I went on it my ruddy calf muscles were killing, really bad. I checked the incline - it's a manual incline - but nope it was level. At least the machine was lol. The floor? Not so much! lol Probably running on a 10% incline :lol: (OK slight exaggeration). But certainly not level.
Levelled the machine and hey presto! No hurty calf muscles. Hmmm, seems now I need to re-consider that incline. I'll put it at 1 and see how I go. Thanks for that.

Viking Girl, I'm trying to rope one of my 18 year old daughters in. lol. For some reason selling the promise of a chance at running a marathon next year doesn't seem too appealing to them. Go figure!
I've tones it down to a 3k fun run, progressing to a 5k run, then a 10k run, then a half marathon, then a marathon, then I fancy the idea of that 45 mile race, then I think we could take on the worlds best............. woah, getting a tad over excited and slightly un realistic there. But you get my drift.

I only worry about my pace cos of the stuff I've read on the net about times etc and I really don't want to look a complete numpty jogging at a snails pace compared to everyone else.
Guess I have to stop comparing myself and worrying so much.