PDA

View Full Version : Cycle path

squareman
17-Jun-09, 12:07
Does the county need a safe system of cycle paths, I say yes. This would be a path away from the main roads. This would encourage families to take their children out on a route knowing that the result of a serious accident would be very unlikely. Perhaps lottery funding could be made available to finance the project ? What do the people of Caithness think ? :)

ShelleyCowie
17-Jun-09, 12:23
i think its a definate need.

When i was going to alness last saturday there were alot of cyclists on the road. Cars going fast past them with cars coming the other way was dangerous.

Tighsonas4
17-Jun-09, 12:35

When i was going to alness last saturday there were alot of cyclists on the road. Cars going fast past them with cars coming the other way was dangerous.
it makes itfar more dangerous when the on coming traffic have no respect for the cyclists whatsoever tony

The Angel Of Death
17-Jun-09, 13:18

Wasnt that more to do we your driver aiming for them ;) proper mental she is !!!

squareman
17-Jun-09, 13:51
Early indications from the poll are very encouraging. Together as a community we can make this happen ! Are the local councillors willing to take this on board ? Are John Thurso and Jamie Stone paying attention ? :)

riggerboy
17-Jun-09, 22:55
i think the county has enough psychopaths o sorry miss read the thread

i

greenasiamcabbagelooking
18-Jun-09, 00:46
a superb idea :)

does Caithness still have old railtracks that could be converted ?

the council would be loathe to take on such a project, but as a Caithness community project, you'd get a lot of support (EU included), count me in :D

bish667
18-Jun-09, 10:12
Not against the general idea of a cycle path as I cycle daily myself. But how many people would use it? Do a lot of people not cycle 'only' because there is not an off road cycle route?

Again sorry if this sounds negative but its not meant to be just trying to get some more information, as a cyclist myself I have to say I wouldnt use a cycle path but I'm not against the idea if it would be a benefit to others.

Stefan
18-Jun-09, 11:10
There are always tourist cyclists about in the summer and I think that having safe cycle paths along the main roads to and from John o'Groats would sell well with such tourists.

Indeed there should be a dedicated cycle path from John o'Groats to Lands End...

tonkatojo
18-Jun-09, 11:18
There are always tourist cyclists about in the summer and I think that having safe cycle paths along the main roads to and from John o'Groats would sell well with such tourists.

Indeed there should be a dedicated cycle path from John o'Groats to Lands End...

I totally agree it would sell well, with a tax on bicycles to fund it along with lottery funding as well as any other it would attract.

Rheghead
18-Jun-09, 13:43
A bicycle network in Caithness would be nice to have but there isn't a real need for one. I'd rather that other areas in the UK have more cycle paths where traffic is more intense.

I cycle a lot these days and Caithness roads are a dream to ride along, especially the roads between Thurso and Reay where I do most of my cycling. I've cycled a lot down in England and it can be really scary sometimes with the traffic.

lelebo
18-Jun-09, 15:08
I know I would definitely use cycle paths - I hate cycling on the road and there's no way I'd take my little girl out on the road on her bike but if there were cycle paths, we as a whole family would definitely use them :)

daviddd
18-Jun-09, 16:20
I think many regular cyclists (like myself) would not use cycle paths very much - they tend to be kind of ragged in construction - in more urban areas at least - where you have to keep crossing side roads and ride up and down pavements. My daily bicycle commute would probably take quite a bit longer; also, these things often get built with no programme for post-maintenance so they can deteriorate into bumpy, pot-holed, litter-strewn hazards. There are some a few good ones around though, which have probably been built after informed discussion with local people and cyclists.

I also feel that once you provide cycle paths all cyclists will be expected to use them by bad-tempered motorists. Most motorists I have encountered after thousands of journeys to and from work for the past 13 years are very considerate, and I usually make a point of waving as they pass if they have had to wait to pass me. As usual it's just the few bad / blind / inconsiderate motorists that spoil it for everyone. Regular cyclists learn to have very high awareness to stay safe, built up after a number of near-misses.

Having said all this, as Lelebo says, there is certainly a potential 'market' out there for familes and kids to use cycle paths - God knows we need to encourage everyone, young and old to get out and exercise more - but just don't expect regular riders / commuters to necessarily use them. I like the way they provide for cyclists in some European cities - where on certain streets and areas cyclists have priority over cars - that would certainly encourage more folk to get on their bikes.

I would still throw my weight behind any campaign for cycle paths and would help in any way I could.

wifie
18-Jun-09, 18:39
Well this is a very interesting thread given that it is bein mentioned in another poll thread! :roll: I am finding it interesting that the cyclists on here are the ones who wouldn't use it but can understand where they are coming from. I am surprised that there is nothing in place to mend cycle paths but given the state of roads these day it should not. Last time I was up in Caithness I used a cycle route for a training walk. It was in effect just an older not so used road and was very quiet and ideal for purpose I would have said. I have used a cycle path near St Andrews and it was very welcome as it got me away from the speedy cars and large lorries I encountered on the ordinary footpath which preceded it. Rheggers is right in that the traffic further south is more but anything which makes cyclists or walkers safer is surely a good thing.

squareman
19-Jun-09, 00:22
A lot of positive feedback from the orgers. I guess its time to progress the matter with the powers to be. I forsee a vast amount of red tape to come in the coming months ! :)

Aaldtimer
19-Jun-09, 02:40
I really don't think that this is an economically viable scheme.
I cycled the lanes of Caithness for years without ever feeling in danger, had my two girls with me on many occassions, and always felt that motorists gave children on the road consideration.
I really think Lelebo should give it a try with her kids, as long as you have them in front of you and you claim your roadspace motorists will usually have plenty consideration.
Don't hug the left hand verge, it only tempts cars to try to overtake.
You have as much right to the road as any car...especially as the Green Machine does not pollute the planet, or wear out the roads! :)

squareman
19-Jun-09, 09:29
Fair comment Aaldtimer. A feasability study would have to take place prior to any involvement. I know that the cost of this project would be staggering but with funding from the lottery, HIE, CASE, etc then it could be achievable. The lanes in Caithness are safe for experienced cyclists, the roads are not for the young ones. I am sorry to say it is only a matter of time before a fatality occurs involving a cyclist in the county. A safe system of cycle paths is the only safe option available regardless of the cost - What price a life ?

daviddd
01-Jul-09, 19:34
I really don't think that this is an economically viable scheme.
I cycled the lanes of Caithness for years without ever feeling in danger, had my two girls with me on many occassions, and always felt that motorists gave children on the road consideration.
I really think Lelebo should give it a try with her kids, as long as you have them in front of you and you claim your roadspace motorists will usually have plenty consideration.
Don't hug the left hand verge, it only tempts cars to try to overtake.
You have as much right to the road as any car...especially as the Green Machine does not pollute the planet, or wear out the roads! :)Yes, I agree, one has to be assertive and motorists generally accept that. If you ride as Aaldtimer says you should be safe. Another important habit is to carefully watch every side road on the left that you approach and directly eyeball any vehicle driver coming to the junction. Your gaze / stare will be seen by the driver; it's innate.

joxville
01-Jul-09, 19:44
*Edited

I would still throw my weight behind any campaign for cycle paths and would help in any way I could.

I've a spade I can lend you, would you like to make a start. :)

BINBOB
02-Jul-09, 05:24
i think the county has enough psychopaths o sorry miss read the thread

i

heeee heeeeee;)

tootler
02-Jul-09, 10:42
Squareman, are you serious about taking this forward?

I'm more of a bicycle-owner than a cyclist, but I do walk a lot. I have long thought that a recreational route between Thurso and Castletown is much needed and would be well used. For local walkers, family cycling, pushchairs, tourists etc... It's the route I'd most like to see made safe for non-car-users because I think it's the most dangerous road.

If you really are serious about applying for funds and making this a reality, then you can count me in.

bobbyrussell09
02-Jul-09, 11:32
Cycle paths are needed ,but they are no use to me as i dont have a bike at the moment:lol:

bish667
02-Jul-09, 13:17
I know the main road to Castletown is not the safest but I didnt think the back roads were that bad?

bobbyrussell09
02-Jul-09, 14:01
there should be more ones like what there is heading to tesco

Sun Circle
02-Jul-09, 21:11
I drive the Castletown-Thurso road every day and I have to say I HATE overtaking cyclists. Its just so dangerous - there are so many blind summits and you really can't see far enough ahead, but you have no choice but to keep your fingers crossed and go for it.

If there was a cycle path I would certainly use it, and I think it would give a lot of freedom to the older kids as well, since the buses to Thurso are poor at the weekend.

The back road to Thurso is very scenic, but is quite a lot more hilly than the coastal route, so I'd like to see a cycle path which joined up the farm tracks on the sea-ward side of the A836. The tracks nearly join up, but there are a few impasses at the moment, notably near Thurso East.

I really think there should be a path from Murkle to Thurso since Murkle is in the catchment area for Mountpleasant, so kids should be encouraged to walk or cycle to school. Its out of the question for kids to cycle to school at the moment with the blind summits and no-overtaking sections which make cycling very hazardous, especially for kids.

So how should we go about making this happen? Do you know what we need to do, Squareman? My wee boy is 3 and I'd love to have a cycle route into Thurso before he gets to 10 - is it a real possibility do you think?

Sun Circle
02-Jul-09, 21:17
I was just thinking that safer routes to school might be a good way forward - Murkle kids in the Mountpleasant catchment need to go east, but equally, Murkle kids in the Castletown catchment need a safe route to school west.

Does anyone know how the safe routes to school thing works? I noticed they extended the Watten path recently along the Thurso-Wick road.