PDA

View Full Version : Delivery of heavy goods by Nightfreight

crayola
17-Jun-09, 10:29
I've just had a delivery of a package weighing almost 100kg from a company called Nightfreight. The driver was on his own and insisted he needed my help to carry the package into the house. He said he wasn't allowed to carry any package weighing more than 25kg on his own and he would have taken it away again if I didn't help him.

Is this common practice with delivery companies? :confused

Stefan
17-Jun-09, 10:34
Yes, they are not insured to carry really heavy stuff.
In most cases it's 25kg or 30kg. Some drivers don't mind but some insist....

ShelleyCowie
17-Jun-09, 10:46
If the company knew it was a heavy item, then they should have 2 people delivering the item.

When i got my new livingroom furniture it was extremelly heavy because of the type of wood it was, the guy lifted it in on his own. I could not help him but he did not mind.

The Angel Of Death
17-Jun-09, 10:56
Same thing happened with me getting a kitchen delivered the bod that was there was on his own other guy was sick yet no replacement on the van for him though and it was a good job i took the day off because them slabs of worktop are not for lifting on your own either

forevera123
17-Jun-09, 15:09
i got a few packages delivered, and the driver just loaded them from the van and left right outside of my house, even it was heavy rain. the driver said his job only respondsible for delivering package to the address,then go:D

Tugmistress
17-Jun-09, 15:34
I used to do multidrop delivery with 7.5t lorries many moons ago, strictly speaking the delivery company are only obligated to deliver to the address, obtain a signature and then that's their responsibility over with. Some drivers will adhere to this unfortunately.
Drivers mates seem to no longer be common practice, so help is often required from the recipient of the package/pallet/parcel if over a certain weight, i know when i was doing it the limit per person was 25kg, that may have changed though since then.
Most delivery companies will usually have a pallet truck (pump truck) or some sort of barrow but again unfortunately some don't.

Sparrow
17-Jun-09, 15:48
Its hard work for the drivers to make their delivery times and I can understand why they can get ratty about lifting stuff. Money is really tight for any sort of haulage business so first to go are drivers mates so give the drivers a break and help them out. You know when the parcel is coming & if its going to be heavy so you could always arrange some help for yourself. I've found most drivers really helpful. :)

Boozeburglar
17-Jun-09, 16:07
Well Crayola, did your mail order brides arrive intact? I will be round for my one later on.

Mik.M.
17-Jun-09, 16:43
When I worked for Palletline in London,our paperwork said delivery to nearest access point.We were not supposed to go into properties incase we damaged something or injured ourselves. It`s all to do with insurance claims. When you order goods the seller will tell you what you want to hear because they want the sale,once they have this delivery is not thier problem.

crayola
17-Jun-09, 21:46
Thanks for your comments everyone. They were supposed to phone before they delivered and let me know the exact arrangements but they didn't. :(

Funnily enough, the box was the right shape for a mail order bride. I haven't opened it yet but I'm prepared for a shock. :eek:

EDDIE
17-Jun-09, 22:03
I've just had a delivery of a package weighing almost 100kg from a company called Nightfreight. The driver was on his own and insisted he needed my help to carry the package into the house. He said he wasn't allowed to carry any package weighing more than 25kg on his own and he would have taken it away again if I didn't help him.

Is this common practice with delivery companies? :confused

Yes anything over 25kg needs a material handling equipment to lift it but for me what was he doing with a package in his van weighing over 25kg to start with if he is into following rules how did he load his van up

Dadie
17-Jun-09, 22:09
Yes it would help if the delivery company phoned to let you know when the package was arriving!
When I sent back and reordered a 1000mm base unit from homebase (6 times in total) until it arrived in one piece instead of pieces it would just turn up unannounced without any warning and the delivery guy would be itching to go but I wouldnt sign anything until the package was checked!

crayola
20-Jun-09, 02:15
Mine arrived in one piece but boy it was heavy!

I considered complaining but the delivery boy was cute. ;)