PDA

View Full Version : Rex Watt

Coggy
17-Jun-09, 01:56
Did anyone know my uncle Rex Watt ? He died on Sunday,
he was a regular at the Back of Bridge Street,
http://familyannouncements.ajl.co.uk/Results.aspx?d1=4,&k=&s=watt&fd=2009-6-10&td=2009-6-17&type=&page=1&sp=1

Lavenderblue2
17-Jun-09, 11:36
I knew your uncle Coggy, although I hadn't seen him for many years. A finer man you could never wish to meet; Rex had a long time association with my maternal family as they all lived at one time in the Stirkoke area.

I am sure many folk will remember him as the friendly AA man who always gave a wave to all. One funny anecdote from his AA days came when he was giving a weather report to the head office from the Ord AA box, he was supposed to have said something like, ‘Hid’s ‘at foggy here even ‘e scorries are walking’. Or words to that effect – I am sure that there are folk who’ll remember far better than me.

Rex had many funny sayings – for instance he would refer to someone as being ‘as drunk as a cat’ … :confused

I was very sad to read of his death, please accept my deepest sympathy.

Another worthy up there joining in the Celidh in heaven, bless him.

Liz
17-Jun-09, 13:22
Yes I remember your Uncle Rex and he was a lovely man.

So sorry for your loss.

weeksider
17-Jun-09, 13:57
My Deepest Sympathy to all his Family
He was a very hard working ,knowledgeable ,witty ,quiet man
who will be sadly missed by many
Over the years he helped many folk broken down on the road as he was the AA man for the north
Heard many times this saying , Will you come in for a cuppa T REX

sjr014
17-Jun-09, 14:01
So sorry for your loss didn't realise he had been the AA man!

Tighsonas4
17-Jun-09, 20:46
canna mind rex doing anything else apart from serving his time
theres a photo of him in the photos section when he was at the school
will be missed by family and many friends rip tony

bingo1
17-Jun-09, 22:41
I remember rex very well on many occasion he helped my grandfather fix his cars. Sorry for your loss.

Rainmaker2
18-Jun-09, 12:37
We used to live in Hill Avenue, not far from Rex and he would always give us a wave as he went past.

scorrie
19-Jun-09, 13:19
About 20 years ago I was in the Back Bridge Street Club just before Christmas. I had arrived on my racing bike and parked it inside the club, just beyond the front door. A while later, a couple of mates and I were sitting in the Stag Bar when the door flew open and Rex Watt came whooshing into the bar riding my racing bike!!

A huge cheer went up from the crowded bar as Rex sped towards the toilets. Realising he was running out of room Rex took a sharp right-hand turn at the snooker table, doing a speed that Lance Armstrong would have been proud of. Unluckily for Rex, a snooker table is only about half as wide as it is long and a similar turn to the right came too quickly to be feasible. Rex had to go straight on, and discovered that the road ended only six feet ahead!!

A sound of bicycle meeting snooker storage area echoed through the club and Rex was left sprawled amongst about thirty snooker cues!!

After he had got his composure back he enquired as to whose bike it was and approached me to apologise for crashing my bike and buy me a dram.

A classic moment from a nice man. I dedicate this tale to his memory and family.

sadam
19-Jun-09, 13:44
I remember him comming to visit at Westfield. I mind seeing the AA van

Tighsonas4
19-Jun-09, 20:46
I remember him comming to visit at Westfield. I mind seeing the AA van
am nearly sure that when rex started that job first it was with a motorbike tony

wndyndy
19-Jun-09, 20:55
sorry for your loss,coggy

celtic lass
20-Jun-09, 07:51
[quote=Coggy;562174]Did anyone know my uncle Rex Watt ? He died on Sunday,
he was a regular at the Back of Bridge Street,
http://familyannouncements.ajl.co.uk/Results.aspx?d1=4,&k=&s=watt&fd=2009-6-10&td=2009-6-17&type=&page=1&sp=1
I grew up in ackergill cresent just round the corner from Rex.When we were kids he was the AA man and all us kids thought he was in charge of the army because he was tall,had a uniform with a hat and of course he had the jeep so if we were up to anything that we should'nt have been when Rex was passing we soon stopped.He was a lovely man and will be sadly missed by many.My mum who is sadly no longer with us was best pals with Rex's daughter Jean.She was very good to my mum when she was ill and at times i don't know what my mum would have done without her.So sorry for your loss.