PDA

View Full Version : Dead PC

ShelleyCowie
16-Jun-09, 23:11
Today when i put my pc on, it was loading up and just died. I checked all connections and everything.

Changed the fuse and i think i might have blown the PSU. But there is still an orange light on showing power to somewhere.

Pulled the whole thing apart (it was rather dusty in there) and can see all connections inside ok.

So firstly i think i blew a fuse, but now because of changing the fuse my PSU might have blown.

How can i confirm that its just the PSU?? I have ordered a new PSU already.

Its also a rather old PC, just built it up. 4 years old.

HELP! I need my PC cos am stuck on the laptop and i hate it. And my OH has to take it to work with him so im gonna be left with nowt!

Bobinovich can u help? Or anyone? :~(

blueivy
16-Jun-09, 23:30
Where is the orange light coming on? What fuse did you change?

ShelleyCowie
17-Jun-09, 10:33
I have an orange light at the back of my tower. Its an on off button basically. If i switch it on, the orange light is coming on so there is power getting to the PSU.

I changed the fuse of the plug. It had a 5amp fuse in it, tested it in my toastie machine and did not work, put a new 5amp fuse in and the whole thing blew. Lots of lovely blue sparks.

Then tried a 13amp fuse. Thats when the power to the PSU was ok, but now my computer still wont turn on.

Checked the connection to the power button and it seems ok. :confused

I miss my PC. Im stuck dual screening with a laptop just now!

blueivy
17-Jun-09, 15:24
When you say it blew and lovely blue sparks - I assume that's from your PSU?

The orange light will be indicatin that power is getting to the PSU rather than power getting from it to the computer.

I would guess your PSU is dead but your question will be what else has it taken down with it? It shouldn't have taken anything as the PSU is designed to blow and protect the rest of the components however you will only know if it's done it's job when you get a replacement.

When you replaced the 5amp fuse (that was dead) with another 5amp fuse and nothing happened - did you test this new 5amp fuse before after you put it in? I'm curious why this 5amp fuse didn't work and I'm thinking maybe it actually blew when you plugged it into the PC. Then you put a 13amp in and it allowed more than 5amps of power threw which blew the PSU? Just a thought. Maybe you have a power problem (PSU / lead / socket)?

ShelleyCowie
17-Jun-09, 15:54
When you say it blew and lovely blue sparks - I assume that's from your PSU?

The orange light will be indicatin that power is getting to the PSU rather than power getting from it to the computer.

I would guess your PSU is dead but your question will be what else has it taken down with it? It shouldn't have taken anything as the PSU is designed to blow and protect the rest of the components however you will only know if it's done it's job when you get a replacement.

When you replaced the 5amp fuse (that was dead) with another 5amp fuse and nothing happened - did you test this new 5amp fuse before after you put it in? I'm curious why this 5amp fuse didn't work and I'm thinking maybe it actually blew when you plugged it into the PC. Then you put a 13amp in and it allowed more than 5amps of power threw which blew the PSU? Just a thought. Maybe you have a power problem (PSU / lead / socket)?

Yes the sparks came from the psu. And the back of my tv screen. But the tv is ok cos im using it now.

Yes i tested the working 5 amp fuse, and its still working now. The PSU blew before i put the 13amp fuse in it. The 13 amp fuse is still working too. Alot of pulling apart and putting together sockets.

My oh is nearly tearing his hair out with it too! Its doing my head in because we are both trained engineers haha!

But fuses are not our speciality!!

EDDIE
17-Jun-09, 18:38
If u suspect a faulty psu they are easy to swap but whatever you do DO NOT take the PSU apart for investigation to so see if u can fix it there is still current in the psu even when there is no power supplied u might get a shock.Psu is a throw away part u can not fix it.
Its really a case of u will have to get another psu and try it to see if it cures the problem and hope it hasnt done further damage.U can get a psu and do it yourself its a prity straight forward job replacing a psu

Aaldtimer
18-Jun-09, 03:45
..."But fuses are not our speciality!! "...
If you are both trained engineers then you should know that fuses are safety devices.
It's not a good idea to replace a fuse with more than double the safe working current...you're only going to cause more damage if it actually works! :confused

ShelleyCowie
18-Jun-09, 11:03
If u suspect a faulty psu they are easy to swap but whatever you do DO NOT take the PSU apart for investigation to so see if u can fix it there is still current in the psu even when there is no power supplied u might get a shock.Psu is a throw away part u can not fix it.
Its really a case of u will have to get another psu and try it to see if it cures the problem and hope it hasnt done further damage.U can get a psu and do it yourself its a prity straight forward job replacing a psu

Yeah i dont intend on pulling apart the PSU. No point. And yeah its a simple job to change a psu. Im just planning on building a new computer now.

..."But fuses are not our speciality!! "...
If you are both trained engineers then you should know that fuses are safety devices.
It's not a good idea to replace a fuse with more than double the safe working current...you're only going to cause more damage if it actually works! :confused

We are not that kind of engineers lol. That might sound weird.

We thought that the PC might have needed an extra boost of power, hence trying the 13amp. Also i have switches on my PSU that i can turn down the wattage (sp)

EDDIE
18-Jun-09, 19:58
Shelly if u are using your pc for internet and word and little things in general its not really cost effective to build a pc really ure just as well buying a cheap laptop.
I used to build my own pc but i dont bother anymore its only if u are a gamer were its cheaper to build than to buy a top end pc unit.
I went from pc to laptop i prefer the laptop less wires and can move it about in different places

ShelleyCowie
19-Jun-09, 09:19
Shelly if u are using your pc for internet and word and little things in general its not really cost effective to build a pc really ure just as well buying a cheap laptop.
I used to build my own pc but i dont bother anymore its only if u are a gamer were its cheaper to build than to buy a top end pc unit.
I went from pc to laptop i prefer the laptop less wires and can move it about in different places

I use my PC for gaming too. Enjoy some Command and conquer etc etc, so i need it to be kinda high spec. If not it can take alot longer to play part of the game than it should.

We have a laptop and a desktop already. But we are wanting to build a PC that is extremelly high spec, get a wireless keyboard and mouse then hook it up to our tv! :Razz

Will eventually get my HD graphics card.

Hopefully my new PSU will be here today or tomorrow. I only have a computer thru the day because my OH takes his laptop to work at nights :~(

EDDIE
19-Jun-09, 18:33
I use my PC for gaming too. Enjoy some Command and conquer etc etc, so i need it to be kinda high spec. If not it can take alot longer to play part of the game than it should.

We have a laptop and a desktop already. But we are wanting to build a PC that is extremelly high spec, get a wireless keyboard and mouse then hook it up to our tv! :Razz

Will eventually get my HD graphics card.

Hopefully my new PSU will be here today or tomorrow. I only have a computer thru the day because my OH takes his laptop to work at nights :~(

Well i like gaming to i used to have a pc gaming pc its expensive to keep it up to date so i decided to have a laptop and playstation 3 for gaming.
But for what its worth its a good experience building a pc up from scratch and i dont care what anyone says anyone can build one up if they have the patience and read the leaflets that come with the kit and i would engourage anyone to have a go thats only way u will learn.I used to buy a lot of parts of ebuyer

ShelleyCowie
20-Jun-09, 11:20
Well i like gaming to i used to have a pc gaming pc its expensive to keep it up to date so i decided to have a laptop and playstation 3 for gaming.
But for what its worth its a good experience building a pc up from scratch and i dont care what anyone says anyone can build one up if they have the patience and read the leaflets that come with the kit and i would engourage anyone to have a go thats only way u will learn.I used to buy a lot of parts of ebuyer

Yea we have a ps3 and 2 xbox's (me and the oh cant learn to share)

Ebuyer is where we get our parts too. But for the PSU i needed had to go to play.com

Building PC's is relaxing i think. And once you learn all the parts its simple. I think people look at the internal of the pc and wonder what all the parts are.

I know i did when i started. :D

M R
21-Jun-09, 21:12
I will recomend you use ARIA.CO.UK for building........Great forums on there where the guys will tell you your best options on a budget.....Always doing deals and next day delivery here (before 3.30) for £7 postage.

PS dont mess about with electrical stuff lassie, would hate to hear about you frying yourself, your OH or Cat because you thought you should use a higher amp fuse. :)

ShelleyCowie
22-Jun-09, 13:32
My PC is now back up and running! YAY!

The PSU doesnt seem to be powerful enough to power up the lights on the side of my computer. But that is ok! :D

As long as i have my PC back!