PDA

View Full Version : J.D. Wetherspoon

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 17:48
Well I have to say, I always have unpleasant experiences with the food here but today was a different matter and before I submit a formal complaint to them, I'd like to know people's opinions on what happened-

Today, I purchased three alcoholic drinks at a total cost of £6.20 for three friends I was with. I had identification to prove I was at the legal age for purchasing alcohol. My friends did not, although they are both eighteen years of age. The bar staff did not ask me for proof of identification, therefore I happily took the drinks and sat down with a meal. It wasn’t until we had started consuming the drinks that a waitress approached our table and asked if we had ID. Now, I am sure I am correct in saying that, if they had doubts about our age, the bar staff should have asked us for this in the first place before allowing us to purchase the drinks. Yes, it was our fault that we did not all have identification but it is at the fault of the bar staff for selling us the alcohol in the first place and then, after purchasing it, asking for ID and when the two of my friends did not have ID, their drinks were taken away. I had asked for a refund as they had barely even touched the drink but the waitress refused and said “You are the ones who risked buying it without ID in the first place, you shouldn’t have done that”. It was a total disgrace the way we were treated. I am aware that we are teenagers but this does not give the staff the right to speak to us like this (or maybe they speak to adults like this too?). I asked to speak to the manager who, after about 10 minutes, eventually came over with a smug grin on his face and basically said the exact same as the waitress said to us, as well as “You shouldn’t be buying alcohol for under agers”. All my friends were at the legal age for purchasing alcohol, we told him. We received little response as he walked away from us. Again, I was disgusted with his attitude towards us and he evidently did not care one little bit and did not apologise.

Maybe it was our fault completely. Maybe we have no right to get our money back and maybe I have no right to complain? What do you think?

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Jun-09, 17:54
Start spending your money elsewhere. Perhaps Weatherspoons don't need your cash.

changilass
16-Jun-09, 18:03
It was remiss of the bar staff not to ask for the proof of age, but you all knew the score before going into a pub in the first place. You may have a valid complaint about their attitude being bad but you don't have a leg to stand on with regards the alcohol. You may have been with your 2 friends but how were the bar staff to know that you were not planning on consuming all 3 drinks yourself?

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 18:18
It was remiss of the bar staff not to ask for the proof of age, but you all knew the score before going into a pub in the first place. You may have a valid complaint about their attitude being bad but you don't have a leg to stand on with regards the alcohol. You may have been with your 2 friends but how were the bar staff to know that you were not planning on consuming all 3 drinks yourself?

Yes we were fully aware that we may need ID. If they refused to sell us the alcohol at the bar, I wouldn't have any problem with it and I would easily purchase something else. I would guess they are trying to save themselves incase anyone saw us drinking it and thought we were under 18. They know the guidelines more than we do so it is their responsibility to either refuse the sale or allow us to purchase and consume it. I was carrying ID myself but I was not asked for it. Surley it is the same for a supermarket, I could attempt to purchase alcohol on my own (I could be purchasing it for someone else) but if they did not believe I was 18, they would need to ask for ID just like in Wetherspoons. If I was to consume all three drinks myself, this would still mean they should have asked for proof of age from me. Now there is absolutely no way I look under 21 and therefore they should have asked for it. Obviously the bar staff trusted that I was 18 and didn't ask for it. I thought it was rather odd and irresponsible of them to ask for the ID once we had started consuming it.

bothyman
16-Jun-09, 18:24
Why did you buy Drinks for your Friends if you knew they had no ID, and you knew they could be asked for it??
Did your Friends go with you to the Bar ??
If not they probably thought you were trying to pull a fast one.
You could have drunk all 3 drinks yourself as you had ID and your friends did not ??

Just seen this part maybe this is why you were not asked as you say you do not look under 21 ??

> Now there is absolutely no way I look under 21 and therefore they should have asked for it

Invisible
16-Jun-09, 18:24
I think you have good grounds to make a complaint, this happened to me when i was 18 and my mates didnt have ID.

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 18:29
Why did you buy Drinks for your Friends if you knew they had no ID, and you knew they could be asked for it??
Did your Friends go with you to the Bar ??
If not they probably thought you were trying to pull a fast one.
You could have drunk all 3 drinks yourself as you had ID and your friends did not ??

In that case, they should have asked me for ID but they did not even do that. I had to provide ID as well once I had purchased the drink. It is more the service I am annoyed with rather that just the fact that they had to take the drinks away from us. The manner of the waitress was bad enough, I though the manager would be a little more considerate rather than walking away from us when I was trying to speak to him and question why I was not asked for ID before purchasing the drink. The manager was worse than the waitress. He basically just smiled at us as he came over and though it was a complete joke. Maybe he doesn't take people our age seriously.

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 18:31
Just seen this part maybe this is why you were not asked as you say you do not look under 21 ??

> Now there is absolutely no way I look under 21 and therefore they should have asked for it

Sorry, meant to say there is no way I look over 21.

Can I also add, it should also be the responsibility of the bar staff to ask me if the drinks I was purchasing was for myself or other people before selling it. Fair enough if it was the one drink but when I purchase three at the one time should have them asking to make sure.

Mrs Bucket
16-Jun-09, 19:17
Simples you should all have been adult enough to have ID on you.

golach
16-Jun-09, 19:19
I would change the law on Licensed Premises to over 21's only, that would solve many problems.

katarina
16-Jun-09, 19:22
perhaps the bar staff did not realise who the other drinks were for until she saw you sit down with your friends? could this be why they were not asked for proof of their age before they started to drink?

Fluff
16-Jun-09, 19:23
I can completely understand them taking the drinks off you. they have to protect their license etc..
However I do think it was wrong for them not to give your mates a soft drink in exchange or a refund. I do not know much about the laws for pubs, but even if they had said 'it's not our policy to give refund etc..'
I think you should complain but don't expect to get very far as I get the feeling the managers stick together. Good luck though.

j_1971son
16-Jun-09, 19:31
this is how it works, if you go into a bar and you look under 21, you should be asked for id, secoundly if the member of staff behind the bar did not think this and they did not see your freinds then they won't ask you, thirdly another member of staff can ask you for id if they are waitrasing as you call it as it is there duty to do so, the bar staff cannot see everyone who comes through the door, and finally yes you are perfectly right about complaining about how you are dealt with. you should of got a refund for the drinks and the policy explained to you in full. From what you have read so far, you were treated very roughly. if you go onto the jd website i believe there is a section where you can complain. This complaint is then forwarded onto the area manager and then sent to the pubs to be dealt with. If you had names as well it would help.

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 19:39
I can completely understand them taking the drinks off you. they have to protect their license etc..
However I do think it was wrong for them not to give your mates a soft drink in exchange or a refund. I do not know much about the laws for pubs, but even if they had said 'it's not our policy to give refund etc..'
I think you should complain but don't expect to get very far as I get the feeling the managers stick together. Good luck though.

I do agree with you. I realise they have to protect themselves and this is why they did this. It is more the staff service I am annoyed with. I also agree with what you have stated about offering a soft drink as an alternative. I don't think the manager was interested at all. He didn't come over the first time as the waitress came back but I said I wanted to speak to the manager. If he hadn't come over smiling and treating it like a joke and then walking away from us without any form of apology, I probably would be as annoyed as I am.

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 19:42
this is how it works, if you go into a bar and you look under 21, you should be asked for id, secoundly if the member of staff behind the bar did not think this and they did not see your freinds then they won't ask you, thirdly another member of staff can ask you for id if they are waitrasing as you call it as it is there duty to do so, the bar staff cannot see everyone who comes through the door, and finally yes you are perfectly right about complaining about how you are dealt with. you should of got a refund for the drinks and the policy explained to you in full. From what you have read so far, you were treated very roughly. if you go onto the jd website i believe there is a section where you can complain. This complaint is then forwarded onto the area manager and then sent to the pubs to be dealt with. If you had names as well it would help.

Thank you. Yes, there is a section on their website. I will send the message through the form here and if I don't receive an acceptable response, I'll get in touch with the Highland Council - Trading Standards as I believe they deal with this sort of issue.

Murdina Bug
16-Jun-09, 19:42
Well, I would write a stiff letter of complaint to the area manager and say how unprofessional the staff were. I can't abide this 'over 21' nonsense - the legal age is 18 and RFR could prove that so he at least should have been able to keep his drink.

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 19:45

We did not plan on going to Wetherspoons to begin with. If we did, all of us would have had ID with us. It is not our fault that we were sold the drinks without being asked in for ID.

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 19:49
Oh, I have another complaint - why is their food sometimes so terrible and taste like it has been microwaved? :Razz I really don't know why I keep going back - think that will have been the last time!

j_1971son
16-Jun-09, 19:55
They cannot offer you soft drinks in return, and if they had asked for id at the start then everything would of been fine. The rules about serving someone without id are as follows, if the police come in and check for people with id and you do not have any, then you will be asked to point out who served you. The person who served you can get up to a £5000 fine and will most likely lose there job, the pub will be dealt with by the appropriate licensing board and if they have several cases of people being served with no id against them they could lose the licence. Still you were treated very roughly and should complain.

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 20:07
I probably wouldn't have complained if we were treated with respect rather than having someone come over and ask "Have yez go' ID?" rather than "Excuse me, are you all aged 18... could I see your ID please? .. sorry I'm afraid I'll have to take your drinks away. The bar staff should have asked you for ID before you purchased the drinks". If they had said that, we would probably have accepted it and end of. When I questioned the manager about why the bar staff didn't ask for ID from me - he said "they should have" and this is when we walked off.. I bet he didn't even mention it to the staff behind the bar. They made us feel like we were troublemakers.

Vistravi
16-Jun-09, 20:08
Oh, I have another complaint - why is their food sometimes so terrible and taste like it has been microwaved? :Razz I really don't know why I keep going back - think that will have been the last time!

I only ever went in there once and never again since. Make a decision not to go back in there for nothing and stick with it. ;)

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 20:10
I only ever went in there once and never again since. Make a decision not to go back in there for nothing and stick with it. ;)

I'll try to this time!! :Razz

Droopy
16-Jun-09, 20:20
rfr10

I think I know the reason you were approached by the bar staff after you bought your drinks.....

They probably thought, oh no theres the guy who puts every single thought he has on the message board on Caithness .org. Next thing we'll know, he'll be starting some campaign that he was servred drink and passed it on to underagers in the full view of the bar staff....

Thousands read the message board it but only 30 odd are daft or consider themselves important enough to think that other people may care what they thought for that 20 secs of their life.( most of us are too busy working)

Funny how every org night that is planned everyone makes thier excuse as to why they cant turn up.....we all know the reason why....to embarrassed........

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 20:25
rfr10

I think I know the reason you were approached by the bar staff after you bought your drinks.....

They probably thought, oh no theres the guy who puts every single thought he has on the message board on Caithness .org. Next thing we'll know, he'll be starting some campaign that he was servred drink and passed it on to underagers in the full view of the bar staff....

Thousands read the message board it but only 30 odd are daft or consider themselves important enough to think that other people may care what they thought for that 20 secs of their life.( most of us are too busy working)

Funny how every org night that is planned everyone makes thier excuse as to why they cant turn up.....we all know the reason why....to embarrassed........

Clearly the message board also has people who are very hypocritical. If you don't care then don't post. Simple.

Invisible
16-Jun-09, 20:27

think it is microwaved

Vistravi
16-Jun-09, 20:28
rfr10Funny how every org night that is planned everyone makes thier excuse as to why they cant turn up.....we all know the reason why....to embarrassed........

Some of us orgers don't live in caithness to attend;)

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 20:28
think it is microwaved

Oh well that explains why it tastes like it is cooked in a microwave! :lol:

teddybear1873
16-Jun-09, 20:35
Here in Charleston, South Carolina you get asked for ID if you look under the age of 40. Once I forgot my ID and I was refused alcohol. The same goes for purchasing cigs.

catran
16-Jun-09, 20:39
[quote=Droopy;562003]rfr10

Do all the local Orgers go to the ORGER nights out??? couldn't imagine anything so awful after putting in a hard day's work. Where do the Orgers normally go? Is it Weatherspoons?

Vistravi
16-Jun-09, 20:40
Oh well that explains why it tastes like it is cooked in a microwave! :lol:

Ach no surprise there.

Tighsonas4
16-Jun-09, 20:53
must have been an under manager as in wick its a manageress whos in charge tony

NLP
16-Jun-09, 22:19

Didn't know people had to carry ID, I'm an adult and I don't carry any. If in doubt the bar staff should have checked before serving

squidge
16-Jun-09, 22:29
I think there is a serious point in this apart from the id issue. I find that the way people treat teenagers and young adults is pretty poor. I saw a similar thing in Tesco at Christmas where a supervisor was rude and aggressive with four teenagers of whom only two had id. The customers explained that they were not together and had simply bumped into each other at the checkout so surely all four of them didnt need id. The supervisor openly scoffed at this and then turned to me and made an awfully disparaging remark about the young people who I had thought were very rational and certainly not unpleasant and actually accepted her decision not to sell them alcohol.

Simply because people are young does not give other carte blance to treat them like they are rubbish. If you cant be professional in your work you should do something else.

Make a complaint.

dashagui
16-Jun-09, 22:34
I would change the law on Licensed Premises to over 21's only, that would solve many problems.
what a good suggestion! then the group of young people under 21yrs can stay in sober all the time

weestraw
16-Jun-09, 22:35
From a barman's point of view, if you have gone to the bar ordered drinks and he thinks you seem to pass as old enough then you would be served. If then you were seen to go to a table were people who look younger than you were then I can see why they came across to check your IDs. If then your friends didn't have ID the bar was correct to remove your drinks - no refund. The only thing that seems to be out of order was the staff's manner, not the ID/no refund.
And the lack of manner and quality in there is the reason i wont darken Weatherspoons door.

dashagui
16-Jun-09, 22:36
Ach no surprise there.
yeah, if the business owner there served all the customers, then would be very supprised

catran
16-Jun-09, 22:36
Yes, I agree, Squidge too much of this malarky going on. Fair enough youngsters under age should not be served drink but come on now there is such a thing as civility and good manners.:lol:

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 22:41
From a barman's point of view, if you have gone to the bar ordered drinks and he thinks you seem to pass as old enough then you would be served. If then you were seen to go to a table were people who look younger than you were then I can see why they came across to check your IDs. If then your friends didn't have ID the bar was correct to remove your drinks - no refund. The only thing that seems to be out of order was the staff's manner, not the ID/no refund.
And the lack of manner and quality in there is the reason i wont darken Weatherspoons door.

Yes, I quite accept what you have said here but I do think they should really have made sure I wasn't purchasing the drinks for anyone who was under the age of 18 before selling them to me. My friends look no younger than I do and the waitress who asked us for ID knew exactly who we were and should know how old we are. It wouldn't be her that would get in trouble anyway if we WERE under 18 so why did she have to cause such a hassle - it's not as though we were falling about drunk. Yes like you have said, it is more tha attitude of the staff that annoyed me. I hope they do take my complaint seriously and do something about it but if the head office staff are the same as their managers, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

pops
16-Jun-09, 22:43
I can see where your coming from as you should of been asked for ID when at the bar, especially as it is now if you look to be under 25 your to be asked for ID. But just make sure for next time yous all have your ID. I know that i carry some sort of ID with me all the time.

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 22:45
I can see where your coming from as you should of been asked for ID when at the bar, especially as it is now if you look to be under 25 your to be asked for ID. But just make sure for next time yous all have your ID. I know that i carry some sort of ID with me all the time.

Next time, I think I'll be going elsewhere! :lol: Only reason we went to Wetherspoons' was because of the price.

miumiumiu000
16-Jun-09, 22:51
you should make complaint there and ask for a replacement of the horrible food you get. a lot people are same like you, not satisfied with the food or whatever,but they keep going back just because there are not many choices

catran
16-Jun-09, 22:53
Next time, I think I'll be going elsewhere! :lol: Only reason we went to Wetherspoons' was because of the price.

That is the attractive bit........price......not the managers ect and the rundown furniture all needing refurbished........Dont often go there but happened to be the other week and oh my goodness the place is needing an overhaul. Mind you the boys behind the bar were very mannerably and without fault but there was a woman trying to arrange flowers on a table... was that the new Manageresss per chance??????Has the Manager gone gone???? I am not up to date getting too old for frequenting the night life in town

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 22:53
...keep going back just because there are not many choices

Sounds exactly like the reason I keep going back!

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 22:56
That is the attractive bit........price......not the managers ect and the rundown furniture all needing refurbished........Dont often go there but happened to be the other week and oh my goodness the place is needing an overhaul. Mind you the boys behind the bar were very mannerably and without fault but there was a woman trying to arrange flowers on a table... was that the new Manageresss per chance??????Has the Manager gone gone???? I am not up to date getting too old for frequenting the night life in town

I found the staff behind the bar had a very pleasant attitude. It's the table staff who were terrible (not all of course, just some).

Oh goodness knows who the manager is but if it was the manager I spoke to today, little wonder the place is so bad some times! I don't think anyone knows who runs the place if you ask me.

catran
16-Jun-09, 22:57
Well then when one is on the subject is the Back Bridge Street club any better? Not a lot of choice in this town for a quiet drink without paying over the odds. someone did say the Backer but............?????????:roll: Mind you not been in there since years and years and years and it used to be OK.:roll:

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 23:02
Well, police are always trying to get young people off the streets with drink etc.. but then when they innocently go into a pub / restaurant, they are faced with bad mannered staff and put off going back again.. Don't think this is a step in the right direction. Seems like the only place to go if you look under 21/ 25 whetever it is, is your own house. Sad really.

rfr10
16-Jun-09, 23:04
Well then when one is on the subject is the Back Bridge Street club any better? Not a lot of choice in this town for a quiet drink without paying over the odds. someone did say the Backer but............?????????:roll: Mind you not been in there since years and years and years and it used to be OK.:roll:

Only time I have been there was when we played in door bowls in primary school. Can't remember much about it though. I hear the Harbour Lights I think it's called is supposed to be quite good. Can't say I've ever though about going there, can't see much from the outside as it's all wooden.

forevera123
17-Jun-09, 01:16
Well, I would write a stiff letter of complaint to the area manager and say how unprofessional the staff were. I can't abide this 'over 21' nonsense - the legal age is 18 and RFR could prove that so he at least should have been able to keep his drink.
this is so unfair for someone with babyface but over 21yrs? there is sometime they forgot bringing id with them!

forevera123
17-Jun-09, 01:19
Well, police are always trying to get young people off the streets with drink etc.. but then when they innocently go into a pub / restaurant, they are faced with bad mannered staff and put off going back again.. Don't think this is a step in the right direction. Seems like the only place to go if you look under 21/ 25 whetever it is, is your own house. Sad really.
it is sad, or we all need to change drinking soft drinks only then there would be more places for us to go

Mrs Bucket
17-Jun-09, 08:19
Here in Charleston, South Carolina you get asked for ID if you look under the age of 40. Once I forgot my ID and I was refused alcohol. The same goes for purchasing cigs.
It comes down to taking responsibilty for your actions. In Scotland if you drink alcohol you should always carry ID just in case.

Fluff
17-Jun-09, 09:02
RFR, can you clear one thing up I am confused about. When the waitress took your drinks away, did she take your drink too?
And if she did, surely they have no right to do that as you are old enough?

Gizmo
17-Jun-09, 09:13
Well I have to say, I always have unpleasant experiences with the food here but today was a different matter and before I submit a formal complaint to them, I'd like to know people's opinions on what happened-

Today, I purchased three alcoholic drinks at a total cost of £6.20 for three friends I was with. I had identification to prove I was at the legal age for purchasing alcohol. My friends did not, although they are both eighteen years of age. The bar staff did not ask me for proof of identification, therefore I happily took the drinks and sat down with a meal. It wasn’t until we had started consuming the drinks that a waitress approached our table and asked if we had ID. Now, I am sure I am correct in saying that, if they had doubts about our age, the bar staff should have asked us for this in the first place before allowing us to purchase the drinks. Yes, it was our fault that we did not all have identification but it is at the fault of the bar staff for selling us the alcohol in the first place and then, after purchasing it, asking for ID and when the two of my friends did not have ID, their drinks were taken away. I had asked for a refund as they had barely even touched the drink but the waitress refused and said “You are the ones who risked buying it without ID in the first place, you shouldn’t have done that”. It was a total disgrace the way we were treated. I am aware that we are teenagers but this does not give the staff the right to speak to us like this (or maybe they speak to adults like this too?). I asked to speak to the manager who, after about 10 minutes, eventually came over with a smug grin on his face and basically said the exact same as the waitress said to us, as well as “You shouldn’t be buying alcohol for under agers”. All my friends were at the legal age for purchasing alcohol, we told him. We received little response as he walked away from us. Again, I was disgusted with his attitude towards us and he evidently did not care one little bit and did not apologise.

Maybe it was our fault completely. Maybe we have no right to get our money back and maybe I have no right to complain? What do you think?

The only grounds you have for complaint is if you were indeed treated without good manners, regardless of the fact that you yourself had I.D but weren't asked for it, you bought drinks for friends who never had I.D. It doesnt matter who bought the drinks, bar staff can't be aware of everyone who might be in your party, and if any member of staff who sees your table suspects that someone might not be of legal drinking age then it is their responsibility to ask for I.D, and if customers can't prove their age because they don't have I.D with them then that's just tough, you lose your drinks...and you DON'T get a refund, if you're as clued up on 'Youth Issues' as you like to think you are then you should be fully aware that if you look under 21 then you will get asked for I.D, and that if you can't produce I.D then you will have your drinks confiscated.
It sounds like you were fully aware that your friends didn't have I.D on them, that's why you 'who had I.D' did the purchasing, you 'Chanced It' (like many do) and now your moaning because the 'possibly rude' staff did what is legally required of them.

The attitude of locals towards being asked for I.D never ceases to amaze me, i mean...they wouldn't think twice about being asked for I.D if they were in a City pub...they accept it as "The Way It Is", but in little old Wick they don't seem to think the same rules apply. Bar Staff take an incredible amount of flak and attitude from customers when asking for I.D, and the worst culprits are adults who seem to think that it's perfectly acceptable to "Vouch" for someone at their table who may not have I.D when challenged for it, i couldn't tell you the amount of times i have heard.."Oh it's ok, i know him/her, they are 18, only to be met with a barage of abuse or attitude when you tell them that it's "Not actually ok", local bars are not a free for all western saloon, there are licensing laws and individual company policy, learn them and deal with them.....or just stay at home

crayola
17-Jun-09, 09:35
The only grounds you have for complaint is if you were indeed treated without good mannersAbsolutely, but isn't that sufficient?

Additionally, the bar staff were lax in not asking for ID in the first instance and I expect Wetherspoons would like to know this.

Gizmo
17-Jun-09, 09:54
Absolutely, but isn't that sufficient?

Of course it is, but there was a lot more to his original complaint than just the way he was treated by the staff.

Additionally, the bar staff were lax in not asking for ID in the first instance and I expect Wetherspoons would like to know this.

Yeah, agreed, but that could be down to a few reasons, the person serving could be fully aware that the customer is over 18 by having I.D'd them previously, this is a small town and you get to know your regular customers.
But you all seem to be missing the point, even if he was asked to produce I.D the situation would be no different, 'He' bought alcohol and brought it to a table where people couldn't prove their age.

crayola
17-Jun-09, 10:06
Of course it is, but there was a lot more to his original complaint than just the way he was treated by the staff.Yes but I think we both know he doesn't have a leg to stand on regarding anything other than poor service from the 'manager' and his staff.

Yeah, agreed, but that could be down to a few reasons, the person serving could be fully aware that the customer is over 18 by having I.D'd them previously, this is a small town and you get to know your regular customers.
But you all seem to be missing the point, even if he was asked to produce I.D the situation would be no different, 'He' bought alcohol and brought it to a table where people couldn't prove their age.I didn't miss the point, I walked around it and crept up on it from a different angle. :)

Joking aside, I wouldn't be happy if any of my staff covered up their poor practice by blaming our customers and being rude to them.

bekisman
17-Jun-09, 10:22
rfr10 (Highland Youth Voice:)
Hi everyone and welcome to our section about the Badenoch and Strathspey Youth Forum.
We are up to loads just now but here are a few thing we are concentrating on:
Tackling underage drinking

We have met with the local Police to talk about the underage drinking issue and are going to make a leaflet for people who sell drink to let them know what to look out for and also what sort of trouble they would get into if they are caught selling to under 18's.
http://www.hyv.org.uk/badenoch--strathspey-youth-forum.htm?sksearchtext=underage (http://www.hyv.org.uk/badenoch--strathspey-youth-forum.htm?sksearchtext=underage) drinking

Skerries
17-Jun-09, 10:38
Why would you want to go there anyway?
It's a boring chain pub with rubbish food. There are plenty of other places to go. Don't give the rude staff a second thought, take your business elsewhere.

Venture
17-Jun-09, 11:37
It's a pity that the establishment in question are not as particular at applying the same procedure at weekends. Judging by the amount of under-age drinkers I saw throwing alcohol down their necks the last time I was in there, maybe the staff, manager included, should practice what they preach at weekends as well as at lunchtimes.:roll:

rfr10
17-Jun-09, 15:46
Of course it is, but there was a lot more to his original complaint than just the way he was treated by the staff.

But you all seem to be missing the point, even if he was asked to produce I.D the situation would be no different, 'He' bought alcohol and brought it to a table where people couldn't prove their age.

It is their responsibility in the first place to ask for ID and ensure that the drinks being purchased are for people aged 18 or over. For example, say I was seventeen (now there is little difference beteween the way I look now and the way I looked when I was 17), yes it would have been illegal for me to attempt to purchase the drinks initially but it would also have been illegal for the staff to sell me the drink in the first place, regardless to whether or not someone else then took the drink off me.

Anyway, as I said, it is their disgusting manners I was more annoyed with than anything else. I don't care how old I am, I expect to be treated with respect and like an adult if I am talking to them like an adult. My friends admit that it was their fault they had no ID and would not have objected so strongly if we were treated with respect. If we had been unsure of the law ( which I'm sure many people are), it is the staff responsibility to ensure that we are making a legal purchase and if they then have a problem with this AFTER us giving them our money, they have a responsibility to offer a refund or alternative otherwise, I'm sure it could be classed as theft. let me also make it clear that I have no problem providing ID, I even had my ID ready to provide at the bar and was surprised when they never asked for it as I could easily have been under 18.

rfr10
17-Jun-09, 15:53
It's a pity that the establishment in question are not as particular at applying the same procedure at weekends. Judging by the amount of under-age drinkers I saw throwing alcohol down their necks the last time I was in there, maybe the staff, manager included, should practice what they preach at weekends as well as at lunchtimes.:roll:

I'd really like to see someone from Trading Standards question people every now and then in pubs including Wetherspoons to make sure if they have purchased alcohol, they are 18 or over. I know of 16 year olds who have been sold alcohol and have ended up totally off their head drunk. Goodness knows why they are sold it when we were not. We were sitting with a meal and only had one drink each, it's not as though we were causing trouble. I'm sure I read somewhere that alcohol such as beer & wine can be sold with a meal to people aged 15 (???) as long as they were with an adult.

Gizmo
17-Jun-09, 16:13
It is their responsibility in the first place to ask for ID and ensure that the drinks being purchased are for people aged 18 or over. For example, say I was seventeen (now there is little difference beteween the way I look now and the way I looked when I was 17), yes it would have been illegal for me to attempt to purchase the drinks initially but it would also have been illegal for the staff to sell me the drink in the first place, regardless to whether or not someone else then took the drink off me.

So what your saying now is that bar staff should have to check that everyone in your party/at your table is over 18 before they sell you alcohol?, get a grip of yourself and give yourself a shake lad, you're talking absolute garbage, do you really expect a member of staff to leave the bar...find your table and ask everyone for I.D before they serve you?, the bar staff are not there to babysit your every move, you know the law and you are aware that you should have I.D if you look under 21...deal with it and stop yer greetin.

Gizmo
17-Jun-09, 16:16
Typical...met with some cold hard facts and you close the thread in a huff when you can't give a reasonable reply to the points made.

I'd just like to add for those who may be confused by this post rfr10 posted that he was closing this thread, i replied with the comment above, but then rfr10 removed his post...strange

rfr10
17-Jun-09, 16:20
So what your saying now is that bar staff should have to check that everyone in your party/at your table is over 18 before they sell you alcohol?.

My point is, if I was on my own and purchased the alcohol and they did not ask me for ID and then sold it to me then another member of staff came and asked me for ID and if I didn't have any, take the drink away from me, it would not be my fault at all. They sold me the drink so they have a responsibility to return the money if their staff failed to ask for ID in the first place. It's NO ID - NO SALE, not NO ID - GET YOUR DRINKS CONFISCATED AFTER PURCHASING THEM.

I think the general idea is that I should complain, more about the manners of the staff than anything else so this is what I will complain about, regardless of the alcohol part.

Oh and I think you will find that I didn't close the thread and edited my message instead in response to yours. Cold hard facts? What, from about one or two people out of how many? I simply want people to suggest whether or not I should make a complaint without people adding any extra comments like yourself but if it has to go this way then it will. If it turns into an argument, I will close it.

Gizmo
17-Jun-09, 16:37
My point is, if I was on my own and purchased the alcohol and they did not ask me for ID and then sold it to me then another member of staff came and asked me for ID and if I didn't have any, take the drink away from me, it would not be my fault at all. They sold me the drink so they have a responsibility to return the money if their staff failed to ask for ID in the first place. It's NO ID - NO SALE, not NO ID - GET YOUR DRINKS CONFISCATED AFTER PURCHASING THEM.

I think the general idea is that I should complain, more about the manners of the staff than anything else so this is what I will complain about, regardless of the alcohol part.

Oh and I think you will find that I didn't close the thread and edited my message instead in response to yours. Cold hard facts? What, from about one or two people out of how many?

That's a tricky one, the person who served you could say that they know you are 18 as they have previously I.D'd you, but with that you are back to the "Vouching" for someone, which just isn't acceptable, even by members of staff....i personally would have given you a refund with that, the only way around it is to ask you for I.D every single time you go to the bar, as there are normally several different members of staff tending the bar, how long would it be before you started moaning about that?

rfr10
17-Jun-09, 16:42
That's a tricky one, the person who served you could say that they know you are 18 as they have previously I.D'd you, but with that you are back to the "Vouching" for someone, which just isn't acceptable, even by members of staff....i personally would have given you a refund with that, the only way around it is to ask you for I.D every single time you go to the bar, as there are normally several different members of staff tending the bar, how long would it be before you started moaning about that?

Well I know that some people do not like getting asked for ID but I don't mind how many times or who they ask, as long as I am served and allowed to consume it. Anyway, I've got the general idea now and I'll make sure my friends have ID the next time I purchase anything but it's the general attitude of the staff that I will be complaining about. I'll also make it clear to anyone reading this that I don't have a problem with all the staff in Wetherspoons', many are very polite and friendly. Shame it wasn't one of them who spoke to me. I've no idea if it was actually the manager I spoke to but I doubt it going by his terrible attitude and customer service. Anyway, enough complaining on here and I'll see what the response from them is. Thanks for comments.

Mik.M.
17-Jun-09, 16:47
Stop whining about this and learn from it.Moaning about it won`t change it so accept it and move on. End of...............

Penelope Pitstop
17-Jun-09, 16:51
I think there is a serious point in this apart from the id issue. I find that the way people treat teenagers and young adults is pretty poor. I saw a similar thing in Tesco at Christmas where a supervisor was rude and aggressive with four teenagers of whom only two had id. The customers explained that they were not together and had simply bumped into each other at the checkout so surely all four of them didnt need id. The supervisor openly scoffed at this and then turned to me and made an awfully disparaging remark about the young people who I had thought were very rational and certainly not unpleasant and actually accepted her decision not to sell them alcohol.

Simply because people are young does not give other carte blance to treat them like they are rubbish. If you cant be professional in your work you should do something else.

Make a complaint.
I agree with you Squidge, some people don't treat / or talk to teenagers in a very good manner. Treat others how you'd like to be treated yourself...what ever their age. In this case they were customers...

Penelope Pitstop
17-Jun-09, 16:58

Just for info, in Scotland a 16 year old can buy and consume a cider, wine or beer in a pub when having a meal.

See the attached link
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/WorriedAbout/DG_10026210

bothyman
17-Jun-09, 17:08
Just for info, in Scotland a 16 year old can buy and consume a cider, wine or beer in a pub when having a meal.

But it all depends on where they are eating the Meal.

>> In Scotland, 16 and 17 year olds can buy beer, wine or cider so long as it's served with a meal and consumed in an area used solely for eating meals.

ClachanHope
17-Jun-09, 18:11
Hi RFR10, I don't reply to a lot of messages, I usually just keep my opinions to myself, but I understand how you feel.
Firstly, maybe the bartender who served you was new to the job or embaresed to ask for ID,(and perhaps asked the waitress to ask) but it is still part of their job and they should do this.
2nd, lets hope you and your pals learn from this and carry ID at all times. Truthfully I'd be delighted to be asked for ID but at pushing 40 I think I'm dreaming... ha ha :-)
3rd, I agree that the staff could have spoken to you in a more pleasant manner. Manners cost nothing and in this day and age where people of "my generation" are usually the first to complain about cheeky, bad mannered youngsters, every adult should set an example to the future adults and maybe they wouldn't be so cheeky.
I have worked in pubs and I always spoke to the youngsters with respect and I never had any trouble on my shifts. If you were polite, it is a big shame that you weren't treated better.
There are many more places that do nice food, or maybe try one of the other pubs in town for lunch, but remember your ID.
All the best to you in the future, and always remember this incident, as it'll make you remember to not speak to others like that.
:D

j_1971son
17-Jun-09, 18:17
Yes you are correct about the law in Scotland allowing drinks for peolpe under the age of 18 when having a meal, except for the fact that it is Wetherspoons policy not to serve anyone under 18 unless they have id even if they are having a meal. This you cannot do anything about.

Gizmo
17-Jun-09, 18:27

See the attached link
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/WorriedAbout/DG_10026210

I'm reliably informed that even though that may be the law, Wetherspoons company policy does not acknowledge it, it's their establishment and they make the rules as they see fit, customers can either accept their rules or go elsewhere.

rfr10
17-Jun-09, 19:02
There are many more places that do nice food, or maybe try one of the other pubs in town for lunch, but remember your ID.
:D

Could you recommend any places? Preferably good food and reasonable price? I may try there instead. I hear Nethercliffe Hotel is supposed to be reasonable, what do you think?

Thanks for your comment :)

After speaking with someone through PM, I'd like to make clear that it was not he manager I was having problems with as the manageress is the person who manages the place therefore, I'd like like to mention that it was not them but someone else - goodness knows who it was.

Bazeye
17-Jun-09, 19:29
Stop whining about this and learn from it.Moaning about it won`t change it so accept it and move on. End of...............

Here speaketh the voice of common sense.

golach
17-Jun-09, 19:33

Here Here Mik, teenagers today eh? We were never like that we had to earn respect first [lol]

Tighsonas4
17-Jun-09, 20:36
dont know if all this has helped to advertise the place or not but its full to the door tonight [lol] tony

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Jun-09, 20:59
rfr10 (Highland Youth Voice:)
Hi everyone and welcome to our section about the Badenoch and Strathspey Youth Forum.
We are up to loads just now but here are a few thing we are concentrating on:
Tackling underage drinking

We have met with the local Police to talk about the underage drinking issue and are going to make a leaflet for people who sell drink to let them know what to look out for and also what sort of trouble they would get into if they are caught selling to under 18's.
http://www.hyv.org.uk/badenoch--strathspey-youth-forum.htm?sksearchtext=underage (http://www.hyv.org.uk/badenoch--strathspey-youth-forum.htm?sksearchtext=underage) drinking

[lol][lol].......bekisman that was class.

Kevin Milkins
17-Jun-09, 23:44
[lol][lol].......bekisman that was class.

Give a young un enough rope.:confused.

Vistravi
18-Jun-09, 00:16
Well I know that some people do not like getting asked for ID but I don't mind how many times or who they ask, as long as I am served and allowed to consume it.

Well for those people that don't like it they can like it or lump it. The only reason bar staff ask for id is to ensure you are the right age. I myself as bar staff ask anyone who i think doesn't look 18 for id and if they don't have it then they get told to get out if its after 10 pm. I did have one woman clicking her tongue in annoyance at me when she asked for a blue wkd and i asked for id. She can click all she wanted she wasn't geting her drink untill i was sure she was legal.

Jeid
18-Jun-09, 00:19
Tbh, I worked in a bar for 6 years. Sometimes when it's busy you can't watch every single table that comes in and sits down. If one person comes to the bar and I had a doubt about their age, I'd ID them. If I saw that they had given drinks to people I had suspected were underage, I'd ID them too. I'd be quite within my rights to as well.

Stop whinging about it, you're acting like the only 18 year old who's had drink taken from them. It's £6.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 26 and I still get asked for ID for drinks.

Your mates should learn from this.

rfr10
18-Jun-09, 09:43
Tbh, I worked in a bar for 6 years. Sometimes when it's busy you can't watch every single table that comes in and sits down. If one person comes to the bar and I had a doubt about their age, I'd ID them. If I saw that they had given drinks to people I had suspected were underage, I'd ID them too. I'd be quite within my rights to as well.

Stop whinging about it, you're acting like the only 18 year old who's had drink taken from them. It's £6.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 26 and I still get asked for ID for drinks.

Your mates should learn from this.

How many times have I had to say already on here that they will learn and they accepted that it was their mistake for not taking ID but it was the general attitude of the staff we were appalled with, not the fact they had to take the drinks away. And why, when I asked twice to speak to the manager, did I have to wait 10 minutes before he came over .. and it turns out it wasn't the manager at all.

Attitude I am complaining about - not fact drinks were taken away

Just making that clear and I will now stop posting. I've got the responses I need so I don't need any more people telling me that we should learn from it and no I will not stop whining about it - I have every right to do so. If you don't like it, don't respond to my thread. Thank you.

weeboyagee
18-Jun-09, 10:07
rfr10 - keep your word. You got good advice. Deep breaths and give way gracefully. It is more honourable. I assure you.

WBG :cool:

golach
18-Jun-09, 10:13
ATTITUDE I AM COMPLAINING ABOUT - NOT FACT DRINKS WERE TAKEN

Just making that clear and I will now stop posting. I've got the responses I need so I don't need any more people telling me that we should learn from it and no I will not stop whining about it - I have every right to do so. If you don't like it, don't respond to my thread. Thank you.

I would suggest you read the Org rules and as this thread is yours, close it

SHOUTING!!!
When messages are posted in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, it is considered to be shouting. On the whole, the poster does not intend to shout, but has simply omitted to check the status of their caps-lock key before posting. This type of post is almost always taken as shouting and the intent of the post can be misread by other users causing arguments and disruption to come from a simple lack of care when posting.

Shouting carries 1 Infraction point, duration 1 month.

Gizmo
18-Jun-09, 10:19
I would suggest you read the Org rules and as this thread is yours, close it

SHOUTING!!!
When messages are posted in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, it is considered to be shouting. On the whole, the poster does not intend to shout, but has simply omitted to check the status of their caps-lock key before posting. This type of post is almost always taken as shouting and the intent of the post can be misread by other users causing arguments and disruption to come from a simple lack of care when posting.

Shouting carries 1 Infraction point, duration 1 month.

Good grief...talk about nit picking, and anyway that rule says "When messages are posted in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS", his message is NOT "ALL CAPITAL LETTERS", mearly one sentence is.

Tighsonas4
18-Jun-09, 10:32
what a hee haw about nothing at all , the easy answer is if your not happy dont go back, wdj will still survive without you
am there quite regularly and find the staff both polite and helpful
there paid to do a job and thats it tony

rfr10
18-Jun-09, 10:38
Time to close thread! Thank you for comments once again (to some!).;)