PDA

View Full Version : Wick Bottle Banks

Whitewater
14-Mar-06, 12:09
What on earth is happening around the bottle banks located at the Co-op and Sommerfields ???

Are people pretending to do their piece for the environment by taking their empty bottles along, but are too lazy to put them into the containers or are they hoping the good fairy is going to finish the job for them. If they make the effort to get them there, surely it's not to much to ask to finish the job off properly. Who do they think is going to do it for them??

I had difficulty getting near the containers yesterday to deposit my lot, and this sort of thing makes me angry.

Leaving them lying around is just as bad as doing nothing.

willowbankbear
14-Mar-06, 13:02
Could do with a bin beside Somerfields for those who suffer with Lazyitis & cant be bothered to cross the road , dont you think?:mad:

Julia
14-Mar-06, 17:24
I agree Whitewater, I could not believe the state of the bottle bank at the Co-op on Saturday, both sides of it were lined with bags full of bottles, the bank itself did not look full although I did not check.

Somerfields was the same the other week but only because it was full to the brim.

Quite often however folks do just hang their bags on the bottle banks, how much more effort would it really take just to shove the bottles in.

I keep a plastic storage box outside for all my glass and just pop it in the car whenever it needs emptying, it's not as messy and saves on carrier bags.

Personally I look forward to my trips to the bottle bank, it's a great stress buster!

badger
14-Mar-06, 18:26
I do so agree. Bottle banks are comparatively new up here and I was delighted when all these recycling bins appeared as we had had them for years where I come from, but the practice of just hanging bags on the bin without bothering to empty them was not something I had ever come across before. It's very strange. If people can take the trouble to bag up their bottles and get them to the bin, why not go the extra inch and put them in? Maybe if anyone who does this is reading this thread they could explain.

The new recycling centres in Wick and Thurso are excellent, at least I've only used the Wick one but it's far better than anything I'd come across before. Polite friendly people helping and so tidy and clean :grin: . The ones in the south were a nightmare of smell, mess and muddle.

Ojibwa
14-Mar-06, 19:10
I was also at the Co-op in Wick today and noticed about 20 bags of bottles/jars etc just lying beside the recycling skip. It looks awful, I really can't understand why people would not put them in properly. The only reasonable explanation I could think of was if the person was very small and could not reach or because of disability. But probably just laziness as there are so many piled up.

Marty McFly
14-Mar-06, 21:56
I noticed all the mess beside the recycling skip in the Wick Co-op car park tonight too...could hardly miss it...absolutely disgusting, and not a good advert for the Co-op.

angela5
14-Mar-06, 22:13
I noticed all the mess beside the recycling skip in the Wick Co-op car park tonight too...could hardly miss it...absolutely disgusting, and not a good advert for the Co-op.

Yes i agree i was there a little while ago...i thought the skips were just too full for them to put their bottles in...that's just disgusting if that mess is caused by folk being lazy:eyes ..
why are the skips at the front of the co-op like that:confused: ..there is ample room down beside the part they recieve their deliveries..

2little2late
14-Mar-06, 22:22
why are the skips at the front of the co-op like that:confused: ..there is ample room down beside the part they recieve their deliveries..

It's maybe a good thing the skips are where they are. If people can't be bothered to empty the bags when they get to the skip, I very much doubt they are going to walk an extra few yards to the skip. Also, I think the reasoning behind the placing of the skip is that it is easily noticed. If it were to the rear of the store the public probably would not know it is there.

angela5
14-Mar-06, 22:30
It's maybe a good thing the skips are where they are. If people can't be bothered to empty the bags when they get to the skip, I very much doubt they are going to walk an extra few yards to the skip. Also, I think the reasoning behind the placing of the skip is that it is easily noticed. If it were to the rear of the store the public probably would not know it is there.

In a way true..[lol]

they pull their cars up along side the bottle bank anyway and lean out the window..bit like when you collect your ticket from the dispenser in the multi-storey in the eastgate..

katarina
15-Mar-06, 10:07

I'm surprised they're left there intact. A paradise for the wee vandals to get their hands on i would have thought.

Liz
15-Mar-06, 14:52
It is really weird that someone would go to the bother of taking bottles to a bottle bank and then not put them in!

Mind you re the disposal of rubbish nothing surprises me!

I am disgusted by the amount of rubbish that is dumped in the countryside![mad]

Down towards the Strath at Sibster a whole load of junk has been dumped, including a loo seat, over a fence.

We also found a big box in a field. It was beside a layby so someone had driven to the country and then dumped this box over the fence!
It was a big box after a DVD recorder and included all the bubble wrap and even a TV stand!
The person's name and address was on the box so it was deposited on their doorstep with a note advising them not to dump in the countryside!

Not only is it really unsightly but a real threat to wildlife and farm animals!

2little2late
15-Mar-06, 15:00
It is really weird that someone would go to the bother of taking bottles to a bottle bank and then not put them in!

Mind you re the disposal of rubbish nothing surprises me!

I am disgusted by the amount of rubbish that is dumped in the countryside![mad]

Down towards the Strath at Sibster a whole load of junk has been dumped, including a loo seat, over a fence.

We also found a big box in a field. It was beside a layby so someone had driven to the country and then dumped this box over the fence!
It was a big box after a DVD recorder and included all the bubble wrap and even a TV stand!
The person's name and address was on the box so it was deposited on their doorstep with a note advising them not to dump in the countryside!

Not only is it really unsightly but a real threat to wildlife and farm animals!

Well done! I would have done exactly the same. Whether they think twice about doing it again is another matter. It really riles me when I see rubbish dumped in the country. The amount of times I have been driving behind a car and rubbish gets thrown from the window. I must make a habit of taking the vehicle's reg. number.

krieve
15-Mar-06, 15:08
liz do you remember the advert on the tv about dumping rubbish and dumb dumpers you should have reported it they get fined and they won't go and do the same thing again :evil :evil

Liz
15-Mar-06, 15:10
liz do you remember the advert on the tv about dumping rubbish and dumb dumpers you should have reported it they get fined and they won't go and do the same thing again :evil :evil
I forgot about that!:roll:

Must get the phone no and keep it handy.

krieve
15-Mar-06, 15:19
http://www.dumbdumpers.org/images/50351_number.jpg http://www.dumbdumpers.org/

Liz
15-Mar-06, 15:22
Thanks for that Krieve.

I'll keep a note of the no. The only problem is catching people 'in the act'.
They're not all considerate enough to give their name and address!

krieve
15-Mar-06, 15:35
no problem Liz no they don't usually do they

angela5
15-Mar-06, 15:42
The amount of times I have been driving behind a car and rubbish gets thrown from the window.

I was behind a car coming back from thurso last week..i could not believe the rubbish that was getting fired out the window..[mad]

ice box
15-Mar-06, 19:03
Some people don't appreciate the country side they think they can leave things at there behind and someone else has to pick it up well done liz more people should do what you did and they wil think twice next time.