PDA

View Full Version : Gallaibh nan Gall agus nan Gàidheal

weeboyagee
16-Jun-09, 09:46
Caithness of the Gall and the Gael - celebrating centuries of a shared culture between Caithness Dialect and North Coast Gaelic - with a talk from Alasdair Mearns (University Lecturer), songs from Raymond Bremner (National Mod Gold Medallist) and Caithness Dialect Poetry from Joan Budge (Mama Ṃd!) Wednesday 17th June at 7.30pm in the Swanson Gallery, Thurso, Caithness.

This evening will provide an insight into the wonderful history of culture that has helped to form the modern county of Caithness. Alasdair Mearns has a wealth of knowledge on the subject, has lectured in Universities in Scotland and Canada. Everyone is invited to come and listen and gain a new or better understanding of the contribution made by the Gaels to the county of Caithness.

Organised by Ruth Falconer in the lead up to Ṃd Ghallaibh 2010! Free admission and refreshments provided.

Supported by Homecoming Scotland 2009, K P Technology, Science Council and Highland Council.

WBG :cool:

crayola
16-Jun-09, 10:55
Caithness of the Gall and the Gael
Interesting. Why didn't you translate Gall into English or do you like aliteration too much? :lol:

I'm trying to learn a bit more Gaelic. Why is 'Gall' in 'Gallaibh nan Gall' not the genitive or am I misunderstanding something? :confused

catran
16-Jun-09, 20:51
Sounds good weeboyagee, wish I could come but otherwise engaged on that date. Hope it goes well.

Skerries
17-Jun-09, 10:18
That sounds really interesting. I wish I could go.
Best of luck to the organisers :D

crayola
17-Jun-09, 10:38
Alasdair Mearns has a wealth of knowledge on the subject, lecturing in Celtic Studies at Glasgow University.I was really interested in this but obviously I'm not going to drive all the way to Thurso to go to a lecture, but because I live close to Glasgow University I thought I might try to go along there to talk with Alasdair Mearns.

Are you sure you have the right university because I can't find any trace of him on the Glasgow University website? The only researcher and teacher of Gaelic I could find with that name appears to be a crofter in Rogart. :confused

weeboyagee
17-Jun-09, 15:24
Sorry Crayola - not based in Glasgow University - my mistake. Dr Alasdair Mearns - was born in Canada. His mother was from a croft in Rogart where he now lives. PH.D in Scottish History - has taught at various Universities here and in Canada, and for nine years ran a Gaelic Learning Centre. Presently works at Sabhal Ṃr Ostaig in Skye. Main interests lie in cultural regeneration, and the relationship between cultural values, land and language.

Hope that makes it clearer - I've revised the initial post though his credits speak for themselves. Not just one University but several.

weeboyagee
17-Jun-09, 15:27
Interesting. Why didn't you translate Gall into English or do you like aliteration too much? :lol:
Didn't translate either - Gall is Gall in English spelling, Gaidheal is Gael in English spelling - neither are translated. :D

crayola
17-Jun-09, 21:41
Sorry Crayola - not based in Glasgow University - my mistake. Dr Alasdair Mearns - was born in Canada. His mother was from a croft in Rogart where he now lives. PH.D in Scottish History - has taught at various Universities here and in Canada, and for nine years ran a Gaelic Learning Centre. Presently works at Sabhal Ṃr Ostaig in Skye. Main interests lie in cultural regeneration, and the relationship between cultural values, land and language.

Hope that makes it clearer - I've revised the initial post though his credits speak for themselves. Not just one University but several.
Thanks. I had most of the pieces of the jigsaw but I couldn't fit them together. Unfortunately, Sabhal Ṃr Ostaig is a wee bit too far to go for a short chat. :(

Didn't translate either - Gall is Gall in English spelling, Gaidheal is Gael in English spelling - neither are translated. I've always thought of Gael as the English translation of Gaidheal but I suppose you're right. So what is the English translation of Gaidheal or isn't there one? :confused

I suppose there isn't a satisfactory one-word English translation of Gall.

I hope the event went well tonight. :D

weeboyagee
18-Jun-09, 14:12
How do Crayola!

Gaidheal - Highlander
Gall - Loads of meanings really - Outlander/Stranger/Foreigner and wait for it Alien!

The event was excellent - Alasdair had the Caithness words and the Gaelic words together with their spellings and meanings - and clearly showed the influence of the Gaelic language on the Caithness dialect - there were LOADS of words - and as they came up on the screen you could clearly hear Caithness Fowk say the words with an air of surprise both in their recognition and their link! Ian Sutherland was there and made frequent contribution - what a fine person he is. Reference was made where appropriate to what is called Norn and the Scandinavian influences. At last we heard the truth - but who came to hear it?

The history behind language development within our area was also clearly explained - the language tree showing the roots and branches of the developing languages was amazing. The indigenous and visiting peoples and where they came from.

It was a real eye-opener and a pity that more didn't go to hear it. The facts were there based on evidence and historic examination. I hope that we can have this repeated sometime soon and to a greater audience. The whole presentation should be published in the Groat!