PDA

View Full Version : 3rd world clothing collection - SHC Collections

dragonfly
15-Jun-09, 19:30
what do others think of this company putting leaflets through letterboxes asking for donations of clothing for 3rd world countries?

sounds a good idea until you read that the clothes are provided to people in 3rd world countries at "prices they can afford"

Can't help but think that this is a bit of a scam - think I'll stick to providing to cancer research, highland hospice, blythswood. They too might charge but at least I know for definate that they are legitimate companies

christina
15-Jun-09, 19:41
Yip got a leaflet aswell and even saw the guy delivering them through the letter boxes felt like giving him a few choice words[evil]. I give to the local charity shops as I know its going to a good cause.

*Martin*
15-Jun-09, 20:36
Take a bag full of clothes and empty your nearest dog crap bin inside! They'll get the message when they're sorting through!

dragonfly
15-Jun-09, 21:11
owning 3 large dogs, I have plenty of that to spare [lol]

Kevin Milkins
15-Jun-09, 21:15
It is somthing that has been discussed at length and yes it is a scam.
Is this yet another scam? / Third World clothing scam (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=71338)

The trouble is, there must be enough people out there that will get done at least once.:confused

poppett
15-Jun-09, 21:47
Got our third such leaflet through the door today. Last time there were a few bags put out in our street and they were never picked up and ended up in the dustbins. I donate to the Hospice shop mostly, or to anyone having a boot sale stall to benefit Crossroads.

balto
15-Jun-09, 22:00
last time these leaflets were on the go, one house in our street put the bags out when asked, and they were never collected, i got one of these leaflets in the bin it went.

ShelleyCowie
16-Jun-09, 15:49
I got my leaflet today. Ripped up and straight in the bin! :)

Just wish they would stop posting them! What a waste of paper!! [evil]

Tom Cornwall
16-Jun-09, 16:16
we very regularly get one's for Breast Cancer, thinking it's UK orientated, then reading the small print, we find it's a charity registered in Lithuania and only pledges £3000 a month to the charity..we tend to forget about it..do you think that's being a bitty mean or not?

Liz
16-Jun-09, 17:45
I got my leaflet today. Ripped up and straight in the bin! :)

Just wish they would stop posting them! What a waste of paper!! [evil]

Hope you put it in the recycling bin?!:D

Tighsonas4
16-Jun-09, 21:01
Got our third such leaflet through the door today. Last time there were a few bags put out in our street and they were never picked up and ended up in the dustbins. I donate to the Hospice shop mostly, or to anyone having a boot sale stall to benefit Crossroads.
got our third one today too and as you have seen bags out in our street as well and never picked up, maybe a racket tony

ShelleyCowie
16-Jun-09, 21:50
Hope you put it in the recycling bin?!:D

Ov course! :Razz

alex
16-Jun-09, 22:37
Got my first one today. THIS IS A SCAM folks! Please, if you have old clothing and stuff - make the effort to give them to your local charity shop.

Sangwapo, as it is known in Africa, is the trade in second hand clothes and goods from the developed world. In Zambia it is run by Indian businessmen who use family contacts to bulk import clothes and supplies from Europe and the US. This has been investigated by "You an Yours" on the BBC and found to be very dodgy.

There is nothing illegal, as far as I can tell in what they do. But be aware that if you contribute to these people you are contributing to a business that is actually is, in the end, profiting from the poor Africans and other third world people you were aiming to benefit. After all, they are the ones who are finally handing their hard earned cash for your useless items.

It's business not charity.

Liz
16-Jun-09, 22:38
Ov course! :Razz

I knew you would!:lol:

Kevin Milkins
16-Jun-09, 23:05
Got my first one today. THIS IS A SCAM folks! Please, if you have old clothing and stuff - make the effort to give them to your local charity shop.

Sangwapo, as it is known in Africa, is the trade in second hand clothes and goods from the developed world. In Zambia it is run by Indian businessmen who use family contacts to bulk import clothes and supplies from Europe and the US. This has been investigated by "You an Yours" on the BBC and found to be very dodgy.

There is nothing illegal, as far as I can tell in what they do. But be aware that if you contribute to these people you are contributing to a business that is actually is, in the end, profiting from the poor Africans and other third world people you were aiming to benefit. After all, they are the ones who are finally handing their hard earned cash for your useless items.

It's business not charity.

We have had one through this afternoon and the collection is on Thursday morning at 8-o-clock.

The first time that they came around they sent a gang of lads to collect all the bags and put them at the end of the steet for a quick pick up when the van came to collect.
I would love to (scam a scammer) by putting my trailer on and waiting for them to carry the bags to the ends of the street and then collect them all and have a share out with the local charity shops.
If anyone is up for it ,contact me. I am in Wick

Corrigall51
16-Jun-09, 23:11
This is a scam. [mad]

They tried it a couple of months back and the police issued a notice on the radio not to put your stuff out then.

alex
17-Jun-09, 01:14
Please note, they are not doing anything illegal. It is for you to make a judgement as to whether you would give your things that could benefit good causes to profiteers who exploit every sector they can from the source of their goods to the market where they are sold.

You Decide!