PDA

View Full Version : Interviews!

Tweety
13-Mar-06, 22:34
Can anyone help me with questions i may be asked in an interview?

For example if i were asked;

Why have you applied to work for 'company name'?

What should i answer?

Please help!

pultneytooner
13-Mar-06, 22:39
Try this link tweety:
http://interview.monster.com/

weefee
13-Mar-06, 22:45
probably best having a look at the company website, if they have one,

janette
13-Mar-06, 22:52
Tell me a little about yourself

Hobbies and pastimes, be truthful, If you say that you read Dickens !!! someone may ask you which book and then your stuck.

Read the newspapers the few days before the interview, you may be asked your opinion about something in the news. Remember its your opinion that the want, its usually just to see if you do watch the news or read the papers.

Find out about the company you are appling to. Again, look to see how the shares in the co are doing, or go online and read up about the co.

A little research goes a long way.

Remember the people who are interviewing you are trying to pass the time too, so try to give them something to latch on to

Good Luck

Katy
13-Mar-06, 23:11
at an interview I went too I was taken a back when they asked me what i would do to improve different things....just something to keep in mind! Put me on the spot for sure!

Kx

Tweety
13-Mar-06, 23:13
Thanks everyone!

So when asked, 'why 'company name'?

or 'how would i improve things'?

What should i answer?

connieb19
13-Mar-06, 23:13
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/art/Business/CollegeInterview.gif

connieb19
13-Mar-06, 23:22
http://www.work911.com/articles/humorinterviews.htm

The Enigma
13-Mar-06, 23:59
Thanks everyone!

What should i answer?

Ummm... if you are asked why you want to work for them, say something like you think they would be a good company to work for, or that it is an area of work you are interested in and want to do.

As for the "how would I improve things" question, I really dont know... you don't want to say something that gives the impression you think how they currently do things is ineffective, but on the other hand if you say you wouldn't change a thing, they'll think you are just trying to please them... thats a tough one!

Another thing they might ask is what do you consider to be your negative qualities. Rather than giving them a real negative point (e.g. like saying your time keepings not always particulary great) say something like you are a bit too much of a perfectionist... a bad point thats really a good point, if you get my meaning!

Bingobabe
14-Mar-06, 01:08
At an interview my line is always

1)I belive i would be an asset to the company
And they would say and why would you be an asset

2)As i am an excellant time keeper
3)I work well in a team
4)I communicate and interact with people extremely well and belive it to be one of my skills
5) Tell as many LIES LIES LIES LIES to make sure you get the job lol hehehehehehhehehehehehe:lol:

Fran
14-Mar-06, 01:11
Just be yourself and show interest in the firm.

squidge
14-Mar-06, 10:06
Bear in mind that some interviews mayb ask for examples - Can you give me an example where you had to deal with a difficult customer.

Can you give me an example of a time when you had to work as part of a team to get things done.

Can you give me an example of when you instigated a process to improve productivity.

YOu may need to have some examples ready.

dragonfly
14-Mar-06, 10:17
Tweety, if you are going for an interview at BT, try and find out a bit about the department that is interviewing you (I sat through manys an interview there and we always asked them to tell us what they knew about the department and they invaribly said they knew nothing apart from we answered calls. Phone Manpower and ask for some background on the department. Also for any employer if asked about your computer skills don't say emailing, MSN or Chat. If asked about your weaknesses, take an example that you can turn into a positive, ie really bad memory but I have learned to write everything down in diary and refer to it regularly

good luck with the interview :grin:

beetlecrusher
14-Mar-06, 11:01
Sometimes you will be asked for your strengths and weaknesses. Strengths are quite easy to come up with, its the weaknesses you may have difficulty with but you have to turn the negatives into positives by saying that you are working on improving your weakness. Hope you get the job.

cuddlepop
14-Mar-06, 11:30
Interviews are never what you expect.The last one i was at they asked me to tell them what i'd been doing since leaving college,that was 20 years ago.
That was difficult as i had to try and condense it into 5minutes.
With hindsight i realise that because i wasnt local no one new me,so needed background.
I missed out more relevent stuff,better prepared for next time though.
Good luck :o)

DrSzin
14-Mar-06, 11:40
Just be yourself and show interest in the firm.Absolutely. An experienced interviewer will see straight through you if you try to pull a fast one (unless you're Oscar material). Make sure you know what the job involves and do your homework on the employer. Try to be as enthusiastic as possible without sounding desperate.

I'll be interviewing most of the day on Friday - groan...

Whitewater
14-Mar-06, 11:44
Thanks everyone!

What should i answer?

When asked why, tell them that from what you have found out about them, they appear to be be a proactive and forward thinking company, just the type of company you would like to work for. You can build a bit on that by quoting examples etc. (This also shows them that you have done some research into the company)

"How would you improve things?" You tell them that they seem to be going OK and you can't really advise on any areas for improvement as you have not got an insight into the methods or systems used, but from past experience you know that all methods and systems etc can be tweeked to improve some minor areas, which always will improve and yield better results etc. etc., but you wouldn't know how until after you began using them and were in a position to carry out an analysis from the day to day running of the methods, procedures etc., bearing in mind that safety must not be comprimised by any improvements

Go smartly dressed and make sure your shoes are clean/brushed. An employer takes the attitude that if you are not interested in your own appearance, how can you be interested in the job.

Also make sure you are up to date on current affairs, both local and national. also anything in the news which may have an effect on the company. They may ask a bit about that to see if you are interested in the world generally.

Do your best and good luck.

Saveman
14-Mar-06, 15:00
Whatever you do Tweety stay positive. There is nothing that's going to turn a prospective employer off more than a negative attitude.

badger
14-Mar-06, 18:37
Find out as much about the company as you can beforehand and then think in advance of all the reasons you do want to work for this particular company. Showing knowledge of who they are and what they do will always impress. Your employment history should be in your c.v. so they should already know that. Be punctual - that is so important. Write down a list of answers to all the questions you think you may get - not to read but just having prepared them will make it easier to reply. The job description should give you some clues as they will want to know you have experience in at least most aspects of the job, unless they specifically state otherwise (some jobs say no experience necessary as training will be given). Be smart - it will impress them and give you confidence. Good luck. The fact that you have taken the trouble to think this much about it shows you probably have what it takes.

rockchick
14-Mar-06, 20:43
Remember to thank the interviewer (also shaking their hand) for the opportunity to apply for the positionat the end of the interview - and make eye contact! very important. Sometimes I've even sent a thank-you note a couple of days after the interview, as this makes you stand out (especially if you are applying for a service-sector job).

If you get stuck on a question, stall for time by repeating the question back to them, as if you are confirming what it is they are asking - but don't overdo this technique, or it will backfire.