PDA

View Full Version : Should Holyrood have more power?

crayola
15-Jun-09, 00:26
Devolution is 10 years old and the Calman commission devolution review is about to report. What is your opinion?

Should Holyrood have more power?

BBC News Holyrood 'could gain' more power (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8099307.stm)

Oddquine
15-Jun-09, 10:24
Devolution is 10 years old and the Calman commission devolution review is about to report. What is your opinion?

Should Holyrood have more power?

BBC News Holyrood 'could gain' more power (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8099307.stm)

I voted Holyrood should have absolute power....as you might have expected.

I'll wait and see the report before giving an opinion about it.......the power question is unconnected to that imo.

From all I've heard on the radio this morning, it isn't giving us more power to do anything economically we can't already do...which is raise taxes.............but what it appears to do is force us to use that power by cutting Barnett. It will depend how they intend to compensate for the Barnett reduction and how much more the "extra" responsibilities will cost before any opinions can be formed.

All the rest is window dressing..it is the economic part of it which is important, and we need to see detail......not media articles ahead of time ...........and btw I'll bet any money we lose some of the devolved responsibilities we already possess.

joxville
15-Jun-09, 20:08
You missed out an option: Do you care anyway?

crayola
16-Jun-09, 10:25
I voted Holyrood should have absolute power....as you might have expected.

I'll wait and see the report before giving an opinion about it.......the power question is unconnected to that imo.

From all I've heard on the radio this morning, it isn't giving us more power to do anything economically we can't already do...which is raise taxes.............but what it appears to do is force us to use that power by cutting Barnett. It will depend how they intend to compensate for the Barnett reduction and how much more the "extra" responsibilities will cost before any opinions can be formed.

All the rest is window dressing..it is the economic part of it which is important, and we need to see detail......not media articles ahead of time ...........and btw I'll bet any money we lose some of the devolved responsibilities we already possess.You're right, we shouldn't shouldn't make sweeping statements before we know all the details in the proposal but I accept your points about raising taxes and cutting Barnett. Fiscal responsibility isn't good for Scotland if we don't have control of taxes from oil and gas.

You missed out an option: Do you care anyway?
I used to include 'don't care' and 'don't know' options but I stopped doing that recently because they are a cop out.

It's interesting that the absolute power and no power options are equally popular and way ahead of all the others.

Kodiak
16-Jun-09, 12:04
I think that most people just do not care in any form the reason I say this is this. :-

So far Only 23 Votes have been cast on this Poll and this Thread has been viewed 156 times. To me that tells you that most people are just not interested.

Fly
16-Jun-09, 23:25
I voted for it but would not now if given the chance. I think it is the biggest waste of time and money ever.http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon13.gif[disgust]

alex
16-Jun-09, 23:36
I voted wisely :eek:

crayola
16-Jun-09, 23:48
Should we assume that those who wish to abolish Holyrood would prefer to be governed directly by the upholders of moral turpitude in Westminster or the unelected elite of EU commissioners in Brussels?

Coggy
17-Jun-09, 01:58
Yes, so long as us in England don't have to subsidise you through our taxes.

crayola
17-Jun-09, 09:28
No problem. We'll keep the taxes from our share of the oil and gas revenue, we won't send it to you and you won't send it back to us and we'll all benefit from a more efficient system. :D