PDA

View Full Version : When to move from cot to bed?

Julia
14-Jun-09, 19:09
I'm thinking of moving my son from his cot to a bed but when is the best time to do this?, he doesn't attempt to climb out of cot but now he is 2 and a half I think he may be a bit old for his cot. :confused

skinnydog
14-Jun-09, 20:13
I suppose it just depends on the kid. Mine never, ever wandered or fell out of bed when making the transition from the cot and she moved just after she was 2. I bought her a proper single bed, not a little kids bed and it worked a treat.

balto
14-Jun-09, 20:27
my 3 have always been in their big beds by the time they are 1, as they slept better in a bed, jayden the yougest is 7months and by all accounts he will be the same. but it all depends on the child.

ett23
14-Jun-09, 20:42
My girls were both 2 when they went into their big beds and we put a bed guard up to make sure they didn't fall out - that stayed on for about a year. They were happy in their beds but I do remember having trouble convincing them to stay in them once the novelty wore off! And they never used to climb out of their cot before being moved on to a big bed. It took patience and consistency to make them stay in bed and sleep there, but thankfully that's all behind us now! :lol:

ShelleyCowie
14-Jun-09, 20:42
Athrun is just over 8 months and he rolls around alot. :eek:

But my OH's 2 kids were in beds by 2 years old.

As the rest have said, it depends on the child. Maybe try it to see. Get one of the barriers for the side of the bed if you are worried. Thats what i will be doing when it comes to the transition for Athrun. :D Im a worrier!!

And im sure they dont cost too much!

miller30
14-Jun-09, 20:50
I have just moved my son who is 16 months and he never batted a eye, he only came out it once, and we havent looked back.

good luck when u do it.

router
14-Jun-09, 21:30
all ours have been in the big bed before 1. You can buy decent bed gaurds that are safe so maybe now would be a good time to do it.:)

Dadie
14-Jun-09, 21:47
Lauren moved into her big bed (I just bought an ordinary single not a specific kids 1st bed) at 18mths as she got her big bed from santa and I needed her moved out the cot in plenty time so she didnt think it was still her bed for when Iona came along in May!
Iona will be in a big bed when she is walking and able to toddle confidently or september/october (16/17 months) time at the latest as I will need her to think the cot isnt her bed before im due with my 3rd!

riggerboy
15-Jun-09, 17:07
I'm thinking of moving my son from his cot to a bed but when is the best time to do this?, he doesn't attempt to climb out of cot but now he is 2 and a half I think he may be a bit old for his cot. :confused

i would have thought it would be best to move said kid when asleep, this way he wont know about it until he wakes up,

failing that you could of course wait until his feet are sticking out of the cot and let him decide its time to move to the big bed, possible at the age of about 23

sorry i am really bored and could not help myself

percy toboggan
15-Jun-09, 17:19
In common with others of my age and even older, I'm more concerned about the move from bed - back to cot...:-(

I hope your question is answered more sensibly but from the limited knowledge I have then he does seem to be a bit old for a cot at two and a half years. Each child is different of course, and I'm far from qualified.

marlyn
15-Jun-09, 18:25
I'm the bad one here! I kept my kids in the cot until I had to - think the first was about 2.5 and the youngest was definitely over 3, but they both loved their cots and were never unhappy about going to bed, at least I knew where they were, and they both definitely slept a lot better in the cot, and much longer in the morning! Now we have to have 3 in a bed with the youngest, because she rarely sleeps in her own bed all night!

Tom Cornwall
15-Jun-09, 19:22
I'm thinking of moving my son from his cot to a bed but when is the best time to do this?, I think he may be a bit old for his cot. :confused

I'd probably move him over when he starts the High School..his feet'll be sticking through the bars by then and he'll be getting 'stir crazy' :)

NLP
15-Jun-09, 22:54
My daughter was in the cot until she was 3 then moved into a bigger bedroom with a big bed, she was happy in the cot so I left her until she moved rooms.

marlyn
16-Jun-09, 07:39
My daughter was in the cot until she was 3 then moved into a bigger bedroom with a big bed, she was happy in the cot so I left her until she moved rooms.

phew - thanks for that, nice to know I am not alone.

SunnyChick
16-Jun-09, 08:51
My two were both about 2 and half years old when we moved them to cot.

It took a bit of getting used to, but it helps if you choose a duvet set with their favourite character on it.

To avoid confusion at bedtime, I would strongly advise that you remove the cot from the room if you expect them to sleep in the bed. I had the experience of my daughter waking at 3am and demanding the secure confines of her cot. It was a tricky situation, but resolved itself within a few nights.

Good luck, it's a big step, but one of many which lie ahead....

honey
16-Jun-09, 11:33
im just waiting on bunk beds to arrive, and will move my 2 1/2 year out of his cot then. My eldest son was in a bed a lot earlier though.