PDA

View Full Version : Input please

majic
14-Jun-09, 19:01
Hi I'm trying to think of some way to make an income from my land, my first thought was a mushroom farm (my OH worked at one back south) and yes i could call it Majic's Mushroom's, then i have noticed that there are not a lot of farm shops here (which i miss).
My idea is to sell produce for people for a percentage but it must only have been grown/made/produced in caithness, what do you think thanks.
Please be kind i have a cold for the first time in years:(

skinnydog
14-Jun-09, 20:22
Mushroom farm, there is one near Roseisle (Elgin) and they sell the used earth for compost so you would get double income. How about a wormery? There is a chap that has one in Nairn and it does great trade for the fishermen. It's no cheap either I think it is £2 for 10 large worms the last time I bought some for my dad.

Local veg would always be a great seller, doesn't need to be anything fancy as long as it is good...

Best of luck whatever you turn your hand too.

achingale
16-Jun-09, 11:06
What about garlic farming? It is very easy to grow. Just break the bulbs into cloves and stick the cloves in the ground. The following year you have a large crop of fresh garlic. Good luck whatever you do - but keep us up-to-date!:)

David Banks
16-Jun-09, 11:34
Hi I'm trying to think of some way to make an income from my land, my first thought was a mushroom farm (my OH worked at one back south) and yes i could call it Majic's Mushroom's, then i have noticed that there are not a lot of farm shops here (which i miss).
My idea is to sell produce for people for a percentage but it must only have been grown/made/produced in caithness, what do you think thanks.
Please be kind i have a cold for the first time in years:(

. . . but I'm a strong supporter of anything grown locally, wherever 'home' may be.
And I like your humourous idea for a name, but watch out for some prudishness - I hate to say it - sorry for tellin' on ma ain fowk.