PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else "Car Dance" at the Traffic Lights ??

Gene Hunt
14-Jun-09, 10:28
I was caught doing this very thing at a set of traffic lights earlier this morning. I had gone down to the 24 hour Tesco for the sunday morning bacon rolls and was greeted by a forgotten dance classic kicking in on the radio. Those of us who remember the late 80's and early 90's might remember "Open Your Mind" by Usura .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAay1_YKdx0 .. this was time when I was already a Dad and had more on the way but was desperatly trying to hold onto being trendy. It was a time of Joe Bloggs jeans, baggy long sleeve "James" t-shirts, Reeebok "Pump" trainers and using Grolsch bottle tops as keyrings. Floppy haircuts were de rigeur. A time when "Hitman and Her" was watched after getting back from the club and we ALWAYS commented on how big of a show off the dancer with the white wig was. And all the lads fancied Michaela Strachan. Still do a bit, she has aged well.

As I was driving along I started getting caught up in the tune and started doing the "pecking chicken" by moving the head back and forth rapidly. This then evolved into also looking left and right and generally dancing from the head up a little bit, always keeping aware of the road of course. When I stopped at the traffic lights for some reason and the tune moved up a gear the hands kicked in in a "house stylee" and I revisted such movements as "The typewriter", "Screwing in the lightbulb" and "Jesus catching marbles", life is good, its a beautiful morning and I was having a great time !!, it was just before 7 o clock and hey .. no one is around.

Wrong .. :eek:

As I did that head move where you tilt your head to the left until its almost horizontal and then pull it back into the vertical I noticed the car that had pulled up to my left. He must have been there a bit as he already had the window down and was chuckling away, I opened the passenger window and was greeted by "Go Grandpa .. Go Grandpa" by the still laughing teenage driver as he did that two handed "stirring the pot" circular hand dance move. I quickly adopted the "that never happened" attitude and sat squirming until the lights went green and he drove on. I also switched to Radio 2 to prevent another occurence. Just my luck to see the lad getting out of his car in the car park, he was going to Tesco's too. Nice.

I cannot be the only one that does this .. so what do you car dance to ??

wifie
14-Jun-09, 10:31
Oh heck everything - and I sing too! [lol]

shazzy
14-Jun-09, 10:36
been caught out loads of times singing away (usually to Queen),very loud and tone deaf,to realise when I've stopped in traffic that my passenger window is open.The shame!!!:lol:

joxville
14-Jun-09, 12:08
Thanks for the heads up Gene......now I know what I have to look forward to when I hit my forties. ;) :cool:

Gene Hunt
14-Jun-09, 12:28
Thanks for the heads up Gene......now I know what I have to look forward to when I hit my forties. ;) :cool:

I am not quite there ....... yet. The next one is the big four zero .. :(

The wife says I might have grown older but I havent grown up, and to celebrate not quite being there yet I think I will go and buy an Usura album, a really bright shell suit, a whistle, some sweatbands and have a rave in the dining room. I'll just get one of my kids to stand and turn the light on and off really quickly to produce that strobe effect.

Hardcore .. Hardcore .. You know the score !!

starry
14-Jun-09, 13:23
Oh this happened to me in Thurso once.

Meatloaf, Paradise came on the radio.

I happened to turn right to see the guy in the car beside me singing and shaking his stuff as well.
We shared an embarrassed wee nod and drove off in our different directions.

TRUCKER
14-Jun-09, 13:37
Yes i do all the above too great fun

Tugmistress
14-Jun-09, 13:39
There's absolutely nothing wrong or embarrassing about enjoying yourself ;)
grow old disgracefully and enjoy every minute of it :)
that's what i'm doing and yes i regularly 'car dance' lmao

northener
14-Jun-09, 13:56
I do it all the time when I'm waiting at the lights.

Good old headbanging and air guitars followed by a thunderous drum solo.

Usually, by this time, people start blowing their horns at me and shout rude things.

So I have to get back in the car and drive off quickly.:(

_Ju_
14-Jun-09, 14:03
What is it about Queen and driving that make simultaneos experience of both a joy? Try bopping to bohemian rhapsody on a slow seaside drive on a warm day with windows completely open............ Queen or Lighthouse family!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZWp1aGtCpA

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jun-09, 14:33
I will go and buy an Usura album, a really bright shell suit, a whistle, some sweatbands and have a rave in the dining room. I'll just get one of my kids to stand and turn the light on and off really quickly to produce that strobe effect.

Oh the embarassment for your poor kids. I reckon you will get them to turn off the lights no problem ...............its putting them back on they might not want to do. :lol: :lol: