PDA

View Full Version : question

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 09:18
question regarding the pics on the home page kids fancydress

i understand that you/we need permission from the parents to take photos of kids in the school play and such like and that we are not supposed to use them for advertising, can anyone tell me if your allowed or not allowed to take photos of the kids at the fancy dress and advertise them on here with/ without the permission of the parents ???

i know its a fun thing but if we need permission then did the powers that be gain the permission of every parent of every child to have the pics on the front page ??????

_Ju_
14-Jun-09, 09:23
Kids were in a public space. They are not advertising anything. The parents/resposible adult gave them permission to participate. Get a grip

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 09:26
Kids were in a public space. They are not advertising anything. The parents/resposible adult gave them permission to participate. Get a grip

get a grip of what ????
i take you know for fact that every parent gave the permission of are you saying that they dont need permission ????

_Ju_
14-Jun-09, 09:29
it was a PUBLIC event in a PUBLIC space. You do n't need permission, even though the parents DID give permission by alllowing the children to participate. Doh.

Invisible
14-Jun-09, 10:06
Just think about the 100's of photos that go on the org from the gala and the county show etc. Do you think the photographer(s) ask everyone for permisson? I wouldnt think so

As regards to "advertising" kids on the org, what infact are they advertising? like Ju said they arent advertising anything and are in a public space.

Good point to raise however.

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 10:13
i wasnt getting at anybody i was wondering how the law stood that was all

we have some very silly laws and this is one of them

advertising maybe not the right word, but the question still applies

do we/you need the permission to take the pics ??????

is it lawful or unlawful ???? to take them without permission ????

its a couple of simple questions really,

_Ju_
14-Jun-09, 10:15
Many people assume parental consent must always be obtained when photographing children. But aside from specific provisions in the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (especially child protection orders arising from abuse, AVO's or custody proceedings), children are not afforded unique legislative protection when it comes to photographs, consent, privacy or defamation. As with adults you need a signed release for commercial use, but for non-commercial images — nothing.

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 10:30
there now thank you very much for that information

now there was no need to tell me get a grip in the first place

it was just information i was looking for not an insult

_Ju_
14-Jun-09, 12:46
nope. You were stirring, as so many do nowadays.

joxville
14-Jun-09, 13:07

Don't you believe in giving people the benefit of doubt? That just maybe riggerboy was making a genuine enquiry??? Personally, I would have responded by saying it's one of those grey areas of law, that because it's a public place with nothing untoward taking place, then it's okay to photograph and publish the pics.

Just my tuppenceworth.

webmannie
14-Jun-09, 13:13
What about posting pics of children climbing all over my car?

starry
14-Jun-09, 13:15
Many people assume parental consent must always be obtained when photographing children. But aside from specific provisions in the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (especially child protection orders arising from abuse, AVO's or custody proceedings), children are not afforded unique legislative protection when it comes to photographs, consent, privacy or defamation. As with adults you need a signed release for commercial use, but for non-commercial images — nothing.

Am almost scared to ask but could a parent challenge this ?

I am not stirring am just interested, like I think rigger was.
It is a confusing area.
I work within the area you described and wouldn't photograph a child without written permission, nor would I ever photograph them on my personnal camera but have often wondered why different rules apply to different groups.

If possible do you have the legit stuff to back it up, like I say this is something I am interested in reading more about.

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 13:43

well blow me away for trying to find out a simple thing,

maybe it was you that is stirring with your replies,

the next time i want an answer i will
remember to add at the end

no replies from ju.

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 13:46
Am almost scared to ask but could a parent challenge this ?

I am not stirring am just interested, like I think rigger was.
It is a confusing area.
I work within the area you described and wouldn't photograph a child without written permission, nor would I ever photograph them on my personnal camera but have often wondered why different rules apply to different groups.

If possible do you have the legit stuff to back it up, like I say this is something I am interested in reading more about.

be careful starry you may be stirring up trouble

infact how very dare you ask such a question

you`ll get hung hung hung hung

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jun-09, 13:50
you`ll get hung hung hung hung

Okay Im ready where do you want this ??

http://www.bankruptcylitigationblog.com/250px-Knot-hangmans-noose(1).jpg

:lol:

northener
14-Jun-09, 13:52
I could give you a definitive answer on this Riggerboy.

But, unfortunately, I'm a White Settler and you wouldn't any any help from them....would you?;)

_Ju_
14-Jun-09, 13:57
Come on. It was a loaded and directed question. You don't even need to understand english to get that. Again: get over it.

As for photos, the only laws that condition your right to photograph are if you are on private property or causing a nuisance, harassing or using an image comercially. If children playing football at the bignold park anyone can photograph them. If they are playing at the highschool then photography will be at the discretion of those incharge (acting in lieu of the owners of the premises- the highschool body).

starry
14-Jun-09, 14:50
Thanks
Do you have a link that I can use to read more.

I have had this discussion with a work collegue many times it would be good to lay it to rest for once and for all.
He won't however accept " I read it on caithness org as legal proof tho :lol:

I have googled but as usual it is a mass of one saying it is fine to photograph and another saying you need parental permission.

Am happy to take answers from anyone, even Northerner with his white settler keyboard ;)

(Joke Northerner, I have no idea where you are from :))

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 15:17
I could give you a definitive answer on this Riggerboy.

But, unfortunately, I'm a White Settler and you wouldn't any any help from them....would you?;)

well go on then for once i will take the word of a white settler given your user name lol

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 15:19
Okay Im ready where do you want this ??

http://www.bankruptcylitigationblog.com/250px-Knot-hangmans-noose(1).jpg

:lol:

oh kinky i`ve come over all funny lol
lets head to the barn

cazmanian_minx
15-Jun-09, 07:11
This is a comprehensive recent article, written post G20 summit. Not particularly a fan of Urban75, but they've got their facts straight:

http://www.urban75.org/photos/photographers-rights-and-the-law.html

riggerboy
15-Jun-09, 07:27
This is a comprehensive recent article, written post G20 summit. Not particularly a fan of Urban75, but they've got their facts straight:

http://www.urban75.org/photos/photographers-rights-and-the-law.html

thank you very much for the link, very interesting,

starry
15-Jun-09, 11:43
Thanks Caz that is really useful.

percy toboggan
15-Jun-09, 13:03
well blow me away for trying to find out a simple thing,

maybe it was you that is stirring with your replies,
the next time i want an answer i will
remember to add at the end

no replies from ju.

What a devilishly simple weeze Riggerboy!
Why didn't I think of that.:confused

How strangely intolerant are the tolerant and the pleaders for 'moderation'
'Get a grip' seems an unfair reaction to an honestly asked question.

Rather than face a Ju-nami of opprobrium in future I may well opt for your suggested suffix.

Not that he'll take much notice [lol]