PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Population!

Angel
13-Jun-09, 22:45
Last week I have had conversations on the population of Caithness...
One person said we want/need more people here and the other said we don't want/need more people here...
One said there arn't enough jobs/houses for those that are here and the other said more people will create jobs/houses...

So now I am completly confused as to wether more people would be good for the county or not...

What are your thoughts on this?

Angel...

joxville
13-Jun-09, 23:35
What would the Caithness population be without Dounreay arriving in the fifties, ditto where I live at present-Tadley was a village until the Atomic Weapons Establishment opened and brought an influx of people, which then required more services etc., the simple answer is jobs bring people.

Kenn
13-Jun-09, 23:37
Quite agree it does n't need a vast influx but new folk often bring new ideas and with an eye to the decomissioning of Dounreay, the county will need some sort of investment if it is to stay viable.
Caithness needs to sell itself with a little more agression as it has so much to offer but too much would lead to the destruction of the very things that make it so special.

teenybash
14-Jun-09, 00:15
Would love Caithness to stay pretty much as it has been without a great rush of people moving in....................Would like to see the county better promoted towards encouraging tourists and when they have come and seen they can all go back to wherever and take the memories of a very special place with them..............leaving everything as it should be...peaceful, no hassle and the wee winding roads where we can lazily walk.:)

forevera123
14-Jun-09, 02:43
Last week I have had conversations on the population of Caithness...
One person said we want/need more people here and the other said we don't want/need more people here...
One said there arn't enough jobs/houses for those that are here and the other said more people will create jobs/houses...

So now I am completly confused as to wether more people would be good for the county or not...

What are your thoughts on this?

Angel...
driving around the towns,we can see many empty residential or commercial properties, i wonder what will happen to the county if there are more and more empty properties. i would rather more population.

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 08:13
i think there is enough white settlers up here and would gladly send them all back home to south of the border, even the ones i`m friends with, ship the lot of them back, as for johnny foreigner they should be sent back to where ever they come from, now before you lot start on me

1, i don`t care about takeaways

2, i like proper food when i go out for a meal

3, there would be less of a housing problem for our own folks

4, tesco would be full of folks from caithness ( less folks on the bru)

5, there would be less fat folks and i would be 1 of them lol

Rheghead
14-Jun-09, 09:10
i think there is enough white settlers up here and would gladly send them all back home to south of the border, even the ones i`m friends with, ship the lot of them back, as for johnny foreigner they should be sent back to where ever they come from, now before you lot start on me

Yep, fully agree with you.:)

joxville
14-Jun-09, 12:15

What about those 'white settlers' that have set up in business and employ locals? What about Doctors and nurses from another area? Are you going to do a Mugabe and take their business from them then kick them out?

Ha, that's taken the wind from yer sails. ;) [lol]

joxville
14-Jun-09, 12:18
.......And another thing, if it wasn't for 'white settlers' most of the Caithness population would either be illiterate and/or dying of scurvy. ;) [lol]

joxville
14-Jun-09, 12:21
...And 'white settlers' made Caithness civilised!

Before we arrived you were still wearing loin cloths and hunting with spears-as late as the 1950's!!! [lol]

joxville
14-Jun-09, 12:22

Before we arrived you were still wearing loin cloths and hunting with spears-as late as the 1950's!!! [lol]

Just remembered, this is still a local mating ritual of a Saturday night at Skins. [lol]

Vistravi
14-Jun-09, 14:21
Now don't pounce on me for my opinion but i think that if there were more jobs in caithness and ones that everyone who goes to college and trained for can get as a career then more young folk like myself would stay in caithness. there would be no need for them after university or college to move away to do what they want to do.
As an example out of two of my friends and myself all of the same age i have moved to get a job what i want to do, one of my other mates will move away to get a full time beuaty job and to get away from over protective mum. My other friend is a supervisor in the coop and doubtful that she'll move from the area as her bf has bought them a house now. So only 1 out of 3 staying and 2 leaving, this is caithness's problem.
So with more trained skilled jobs more people will move to the area and more young folk will stay.
If everything goes as it should there will be a population issue on years to come and there won't be enough of the next generation to fill caithness. It will become a ghost county.

But this is a very cynical 20 year old speaking;)

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 15:34
What about those 'white settlers' that have set up in business and employ locals? What about Doctors and nurses from another area? Are you going to do a Mugabe and take their business from them then kick them out?

Ha, that's taken the wind from yer sails. ;) [lol]

as long as they do good we could let them stay until we train a local to do the work then we could either throw them south or hang em hang em hang em

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 15:35
.......And another thing, if it wasn't for 'white settlers' most of the Caithness population would either be illiterate and/or dying of scurvy. ;) [lol]

and your point here is what ????

i like scurly with my chicken or my mince and tatties

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 15:37

and a very good job you made of it, now if you dont mind you can all go back doon sooth and stay there,

thanks for all you have done now please go away and shut the gate behind you

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 15:38
Just remembered, this is still a local mating ritual of a Saturday night at Skins. [lol]

you got me there lol

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 15:40
Now don't pounce on me for my opinion but i think that if there were more jobs in caithness and ones that everyone who goes to college and trained for can get as a career then more young folk like myself would stay in caithness. there would be no need for them after university or college to move away to do what they want to do.
As an example out of two of my friends and myself all of the same age i have moved to get a job what i want to do, one of my other mates will move away to get a full time beuaty job and to get away from over protective mum. My other friend is a supervisor in the coop and doubtful that she'll move from the area as her bf has bought them a house now. So only 1 out of 3 staying and 2 leaving, this is caithness's problem.
So with more trained skilled jobs more people will move to the area and more young folk will stay.
If everything goes as it should there will be a population issue on years to come and there won't be enough of the next generation to fill caithness. It will become a ghost county.

But this is a very cynical 20 year old speaking;)

yes i think you`re right, but all the folks that go away will come back even if its to retire o what a wonderful thought

a place to retire without any sooth mooths lol

Stefan
14-Jun-09, 16:04
Don't worry, I'll make up for you moving away by bringing kids up to Caithness ;-)

No, seriously, I don't think Caithness is all that differently from other places, people come and go for various reasons.
The only difference is that Caithness has a strong community and people talk about stuff. Caithness has the ORG, which other county has such an active online community?

I think people in Caithness have a strong sense of belonging which other places don't have. Caithness is also geographically challenged. You don't just move a few towns away. It's either Thurso or Wick or a different county altogether.

bekisman
14-Jun-09, 16:34
Hi Riggerboy -you'd better not go down to England, you'd better stay up here!;):

Summary Beginning from the observation that Scots living in England have much higher rates of mental hospital admission than do the English, several hypotheses are proposed to account for this. Much of the excess in rates of mental illness is accounted for by those diagnosed as having alcohol-related disorders and behaviour and personality problems. The results of an examination of official statistics in the two countries enabled some explanations to be offered. It was found that rates of admissions to mental hospitals are higher in Scotland than in England but not as high as those found among Scots migrants who have a much higher rate of readmission to hospitals than either of the other groups. In fact, if first admissions only are considered the rates of admission in Scotland are not only higher than rates for English natives but also higher than for Scottish migrants. It seems that Scots living in England are somewhat less likely to become mental patients than Scots in Scotland but that once they do achieve this status they are very much more likely to be readmitted on subsequent occasions. It was concluded that there might be two fairly distinct groups of migrants from Scotland to England who have different backgrounds, different reasons for migrating and different psychological characteristics. On the one hand there are stable, economically motivated migrants who move south for definite employment related reasons and who show few psychological symptoms. While on the other hand there is a group of migrants who perhaps have psychological problems and who move more in hope than expectation without definite prospects and who account for the high rates of mental hospital admission found in Scottish migrants.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l3454g7j271r2672/ (http://www.springerlink.com/content/l3454g7j271r2672/)

Vistravi
14-Jun-09, 16:37
yes i think you`re right, but all the folks that go away will come back even if its to retire o what a wonderful thought

a place to retire without any sooth mooths lol

I'll contricdicate(sp) that riggerboy as i severely doubt that i'll ever live in caithness again. I'm not putting roots anywhere even when i'm old. I'll live where i live ;) I'm a nomad at heart lol

kmahon2001
14-Jun-09, 16:38
i think there is enough white settlers up here and would gladly send them all back home to south of the border, even the ones i`m friends with, ship the lot of them back,

Which border did you have in mind, the one with Sutherland or the one with England? As far as I can see there's as many Scots here who are not native Caithnessians as there are English and/or Welsh.

as for johnny foreigner they should be sent back to where ever they come from, now before you lot start on me

I know you may have difficulty with this concept, but not all foreigners own or work in takeaway establishments. Incredibly enough, some are actually dentists, doctors, teachers, business people etc - or didn't you realise that many foreign countries actually have decent education systems and manage to produce good talented professional people. :roll:

There's a vast number of houses owned by the "native" population that are being left to decay and fall down. Everywhere you go you see derelict cottages left to rot. If the houses that already exist were properly maintained by their owners, there wouldn't be a housing shortage.:p

If it wasn't for all the incomers, Tesco wouldn't have come up here in the first place. The size of the population simply wouldn't make it cost effective for them.

, there would be less fat folks and i would be 1 of them lol
This is probably true because with such a small population left, there wouldn't be enough people to do all that needs doing so everyone would have to do 3 people's work for a pittance of pay. As a result very few would be able to afford cars so you'd have to walk everywhere - that would certainly get you all back into shape. [lol]

riggerboy
14-Jun-09, 16:40
please return the hook when your finished

kmahon2001
14-Jun-09, 16:59
please return the hook when your finished

Oh, I didn't realise you were just baiting us - I've already packed my bags and was just heading out the door when I saw your post - Phew!!:Razz

Relax everyone, he's only kidding. We can stay after all. :roll:

wifie
14-Jun-09, 17:09
I'll contricdicate(sp) that riggerboy as i severely doubt that i'll ever live in caithness again. I'm not putting roots anywhere even when i'm old. I'll live where i live ;) I'm a nomad at heart lol

I have done a fair bit of nomadic stuff in the past but the older I get the more I hanker for Caithness even tho I live in a lovely place and am more able to enjoy visits or events than I have ever been due to my location. :) :(

Vistravi
14-Jun-09, 17:24
I have done a fair bit of nomadic stuff in the past but the older I get the more I hanker for Caithness even tho I live in a lovely place and am more able to enjoy visits or events than I have ever been due to my location. :) :(

Maybe i'm just being cynical but when my mum and brothers move away from caithness there won't be anyone for me to visit and to make me want to stay there. my friends and myself take turns to visit each other and more often or not they come to ness for shopping. In fact one of my older and closest friends is coming down next month to mark our 21st birthdays with a tattoo with me. It doesn't help that i work so many hours at my two jobs so visiting is hard now.

Rheghead
14-Jun-09, 18:39
I don't mind white settlers so long as they keep their heads down and stop running the place. I'm all for them coming here and creating jobs and variation in the gene pool.

Mik.M.
14-Jun-09, 18:42
I don't mind white sttlers so long as they keep their heads down and stop running the place. I'm all for them coming here and creating jobs and variation in the gene pool.
Surely you mean gene puddle.:lol::lol:

Angel
14-Jun-09, 22:09
I heard a conversation in Wick council offices and a similar one in the local amdram society recently... a statement which they both used was "we need the English here as they make things happen" were admitting to something!

Angel...

forevera123
15-Jun-09, 15:42
[quote=riggerboy;560991]i think there is enough white settlers up here and would gladly send them all back home to south of the border, even the ones i`m friends with, ship the lot of them back.
:Dcan't imagine how hurt friend would be if they know you like them away? What is friend mean to you?
as for johnny foreigner they should be sent back to where ever they come from, now before you lot start on me

<<yeah, if there is no french, indian, chinese, italian food here, what can we eat if we get fed up with local food just bcause we had too much?
if there are only a few local food business left, without the competition,will these business keep the price as low as now? >>

:Dthere are plenty houses for sale in caithness, if you can buy them off just like alot of incomers do, it will help to push the housing market in caithness.i guess local housing agency would be very grateful.

<<it is up to tesco management's decision to employ people working there. that is not incomers' fault just because tesco hire them to work. i guess there are many business that alot of caithness people working for, are owned by so you called "incomers". Do you want these buniness owners(incomers) to end their busniess and moving out of caithness,ending up more local people unemployed?>>

:Razz people usually don't blame their mum for their own fat/fault just because their mum cooks and feeds them everyday. don't be lazy, do sum gym,drink less, less junk food, you will be less fat anyway

forevera123
15-Jun-09, 15:53
as long as they do good we could let them stay until we train a local to do the work then we could either throw them south or hang em hang em hang em
wow, you do need someone from down south to train local people, i thought you meant you never need people from outside caithness

riggerboy
15-Jun-09, 17:01
[quote=riggerboy;560991]i think there is enough white settlers up here and would gladly send them all back home to south of the border, even the ones i`m friends with, ship the lot of them back.
:Dcan't imagine how hurt friend would be if they know you like them away? What is friend mean to you?

<<yeah, if there is no french, indian, chinese, italian food here, what can we eat if we get fed up with local food just bcause we had too much?
if there are only a few local food business left, without the competition,will these business keep the price as low as now? >>

:Dthere are plenty houses for sale in caithness, if you can buy them off just like alot of incomers do, it will help to push the housing market in caithness.i guess local housing agency would be very grateful.

<<it is up to tesco management's decision to employ people working there. that is not incomers' fault just because tesco hire them to work. i guess there are many business that alot of caithness people working for, are owned by so you called "incomers". Do you want these buniness owners(incomers) to end their busniess and moving out of caithness,ending up more local people unemployed?>>

:Razz people usually don't blame their mum for their own fat/fault just because their mum cooks and feeds them everyday. don't be lazy, do sum gym,drink less, less junk food, you will be less fat anyway

please refer to quote 22 cheers

riggerboy
15-Jun-09, 17:02
wow, you do need someone from down south to train local people, i thought you meant you never need people from outside caithness

please see quote 31 once again cheers

Venture
15-Jun-09, 17:52
Obviously a lot of the newbies don't know riggerboy very well. Take everything he posts with a pinch of salt. It's all that time on his own in that box that does it to him. He loves a good stirring or baiting. Problem for you lot is you can't see the big wooden spoon he's sitting on, oh and watch your legs, he's good at pulling them. Mind you he's a lovely boy really and we all love his posts, honest.;) :lol:

Stefan
15-Jun-09, 18:47
I thought his avatar said it all...;)

oldmarine
16-Jun-09, 01:10
I liked the Caithness the way it was during the 1980's when I was stationed at the Naval station. But, perhaps I am not qualified to respond to this post since I don't reside there.

forevera123
16-Jun-09, 02:08
Obviously a lot of the newbies don't know riggerboy very well. Take everything he posts with a pinch of salt. It's all that time on his own in that box that does it to him. He loves a good stirring or baiting. Problem for you lot is you can't see the big wooden spoon he's sitting on, oh and watch your legs, he's good at pulling them. Mind you he's a lovely boy really and we all love his posts, honest.;) :lol:
sorry, i didn't mean to be nasty and offend anyone, just feel like to speak from my heart.

riggerboy
16-Jun-09, 07:40

i thank you ,i thank you, i thank you, never before has riggerboy felt so good, not because of what you said, more to do with i`m getting outta the box today,

but thanks all the same,

riggerboy
16-Jun-09, 07:41
sorry, i didn't mean to be nasty and offend anyone, just feel like to speak from my heart.

dont worry i`ll get you again lol

Venture
16-Jun-09, 08:34

Don't worry about it forevera123 riggerboy has skin like a crocodile. You did make some good points there. Just look out for the red man waving at you as he zooms by on his devil machine when he's home. ;)

i thank you ,i thank you, i thank you, never before has riggerboy felt so good, not because of what you said, more to do with i`m getting outta the box today,

but thanks all the same,

Sheesh now riggerboy you know you've got to behave to get out. Won't be long now, freedom is on its way, till the next time.;)

riggerboy
16-Jun-09, 08:54
Don't worry about it forevera123 riggerboy has skin like a crocodile. You did make some good points there. Just look out for the red man waving at you as he zooms by on his devil machine when he's home. ;)

Sheesh now riggerboy you know you've got to behave to get out. Won't be long now, freedom is on its way, till the next time.;)

"skin like leather and the diamond hard luck of a cobra"

lyrics taken from my fav song, (can you work it out)
free riggerboy, free the wick 1, all those in favor of freeing riggerboy put yer hands up and geez yer money lol, i must behave in the box,i must behave in the box, while in the box i must do something ????

achingale
16-Jun-09, 11:00
New people do bring in ideas but we need new businesses to make their roots in the county and entice people up. That said, I like it just the way it is but would be willing to make room for a few others.

David Banks
16-Jun-09, 11:21

Don't y'all agree now ?

forevera123
16-Jun-09, 22:59
dont worry i`ll get you again lol
i will be right there waiting for you

forevera123
16-Jun-09, 23:04

you all make me laughing to die.. thank you

philupmaboug
17-Jun-09, 00:28
Riggerboy,

Please note, England is Scotland's biggest county they just haven't realised it yet so don't stress!! We are in control....

riggerboy
17-Jun-09, 16:19
Riggerboy,

Please note, England is Scotland's biggest county they just haven't realised it yet so don't stress!! We are in control....

yes i suppose your right, now then i did hear that seater was getting full, shoulod we use our biggest country and fill it with more trash

answers please on the back of a orange peel send to 10 drowning street

Faraway Angus
20-Jun-09, 10:09
I am dismayed at the tone of this thread concerning caithness populations, diversity in society is essential to share learnings from other cultures and good buisness practices. At one point I had to move to the Borders in the south of Scotland and I was equally concerned at the deriosry attitude that was aimed towards our Highland folk. It seems that the divisionary sentiments depicted in the film 'Braveheart' are alive and flourishing even in our own country never mind the rest of the globe.
I now live in Europe and work in medical researchas as a global director, but I started life in Wick, went to the Academy and stayed two years at the high school- but we had to move to England when my Dad's employer had to cease trading.
All I am trying to emphasise here is that peolpe need a haven, a place to be happy and enjoy life. It is mean spirited and xenophobic to harbour these intolerances voiced in this thread. It is far removed from the welcoming Caithness that I and my long line of forebearers have loved and cherished.
We have one chance in life to make a positive difference for ourselves and the legacy for our children; employers and professionals alike, will not invest in hostile cultures and in that light I would have to seriously review any potential investment against this backdrop.
This my view but I respect the freedoms of speech that this country enjoys, however others may wish to comment differently.
Home is where the heart is...not the heartless.

Angel
21-Jun-09, 22:51
I think, from the coments that the people of Caithness are happy with 'incomers' and feel dismayed over 'anyone' leaving the county.
I can also understand those that once lived here would wish to return hoping that little change has happened in their absence.
Maybe Caithness is chasing the south like the UK is chasing the USA... and as long as neither actually catches up. Caithness will always be in the same situation, quieter, safer, etc. relatively speaking...
The likelyhood is more incomers will come in a retirment scenario than anything else with some associated jobs being made...

So what is the population and how has it changed over time!

Angel...

TBH
21-Jun-09, 23:36
I heard a conversation in Wick council offices and a similar one in the local amdram society recently... a statement which they both used was "we need the English here as they make things happen" were admitting to something!

Angel...What do they, "Make Happen"?

kmahon2001
22-Jun-09, 08:52
What do they, "Make Happen"?

Debates about whether we're welcome or not, for a start. [lol]