PDA

View Full Version : When we were young.....

Vistravi
13-Jun-09, 15:48
As a kid what books/tv program do you recall watching or enjoying the most?

I saw Rupert the bear yesterday and i was like "Haven't seen that in years!" lol. I enjoyed reading the books and watching the cartoon when it was on.

Also still like to see my other faviourite anime Sailor moon (have all the series that where ever made on dvd) when the mood strikes me.

nicnic74
13-Jun-09, 16:08
Loved reading Enid Blyton books famous five, secret seven, mallory towers, st claires they were the best kids books ever, still have them all from when i was little & my own girls who are 9 & 10 are reading them now. Had many hours enjoyment from them.

Lavenderblue2
13-Jun-09, 16:24
When I was quite young I loved a TV programme called 'Whirlygig' - in it there was a character called Mr Turnip whom I adored - also in the prog was Hank and Mexican Pete - these characters were all puppets with strings which could be seen but to us children they were sheer magic.

We got our TV in time for the Coronation of HM Queen so that will give you an idea of the time scale.

There is a great link here (http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/index.htm) for programmes from times gone by.

LB2 :roll:

poppett
13-Jun-09, 16:26
Paddington Bear books by Michael Bond was my favourite book and a tv series followed.

Enid Blyton books also were enjoyed, but Paddington still my all time favourite.

Vistravi
13-Jun-09, 16:30
When I was quite young I loved a TV programme called 'Whirlygig' - in it there was a character called Mr Turnip whom I adored - also in the prog was Hank and Mexican Pete - these characters were all puppets with strings which could be seen but to us children they were sheer magic.

We got our TV in time for the Coronation of HM Queen so that will give you an idea of the time scale.

There is a great link here (http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/index.htm) for programmes from times gone by.

LB2 :roll:

I'm showing my age too LB2 i haven't heard of that one ;)

joxville
13-Jun-09, 16:31
I used to read Commando. These days I prefer to go........[lol]

Vistravi
13-Jun-09, 16:59
I used to read Commando. These days I prefer to go........[lol]

It's much more comfortable going commando;)

unicorn
13-Jun-09, 17:16
I loved the flumps and my favourite book was an old Grimms fairytales book which I sadly have lost :~(

Ricco
13-Jun-09, 17:43
I used to be a regular down Thurso library borrowing anything sci-fi by AC Clarke, Michael Moorcroft, Patrick Moore, Isaac Asimov, etc

Liz
13-Jun-09, 18:09
Loved reading Enid Blyton books famous five, secret seven, mallory towers, st claires they were the best kids books ever, still have them all from when i was little & my own girls who are 9 & 10 are reading them now. Had many hours enjoyment from them.

Like you I loved reading all Enid Blyton books. Oh wish I'd kept mine!:confused

Lots of TV progs as well including 'The Woodentops','Trumpton' and 'Camberwick Green'. Ah those were the days!:lol:

Does anyone remember 'H R Puff 'n' Stuff'? If memory serves me well the young Jack Wilde was in it.

Liz
13-Jun-09, 18:15
Found this.:D

http://bit.ly/BEy3j

Oh I loved this programme! Thanks for bringing back happy memories Vistravi.

Bobinovich
13-Jun-09, 18:54
I used to be a regular down Thurso library borrowing anything sci-fi by AC Clarke, Michael Moorcroft, Patrick Moore, Isaac Asimov, etc

In the 90's & early 00's I had the pleasure in doing some work for sci-fi author the late Robert L Forward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Forward) who had a holiday home out at Reay - His book Dragons Egg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_Egg) and subsequent ones might interest you if that's still your thing.

teddybear76
13-Jun-09, 19:09
i used till luv the enid blyton books as well,famous five,secret seven,used till watch button moon,superted,mind when we used till have an acorn electron computer,thought it was great!!:)

Fluff
13-Jun-09, 19:12
Thundercats, Carebears, Trap Door! He-man and god who remembers Round The Twist?!

I also loved My Little Pony!!
Book wise, Little Dracula (?) and Funny Bones. Can't think of any others for the moment.

badger
13-Jun-09, 19:27
We didn't have tv for the Coronation but knew someone who did. My favourites were the Swallows & Amazons series, Little Women (plus Good Wives, Little Men and Jo's Boys) What Katy Did, plus WKD at School and Next. Wonder if anyone reads them these days. Completely different world.

Kevin Milkins
13-Jun-09, 20:49
I have just began to realise what company I am in.

Andy Pandy and Bill and Ben did it for me.

dirdyweeker
13-Jun-09, 21:34

A man from my generation, I loved the Woodentops. Mind you I was young when I watched those. :lol:
Grew up to watch Lassie, Railway Children, loved the laughs with Steptoe. Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo........and so many more.
Read Little Women, Enid Blyton (favourite being Famous Five)

Kevin Milkins
13-Jun-09, 21:40
Lets not forget Muffin the mule.

And in Saturday morning pictures, Tin Tin, Zoro, The Lone Ranger, and Flash Gorden, and of course the live show with the Tetlee tea chimps.:Razz

Foxy
13-Jun-09, 23:52
I grew up watching Worzel gummidge, black beauty, lone ranger and the only books i read were the oor willie and the broons annuals. :cool: The highlight of my week was my mum getting the Sunday post newspaper for our weekly read of oor Willie.

teenybash
14-Jun-09, 00:08
I loved my Rupert the Bear, Grimms Fairytales, Alice through the looking glass.................Didn't have a TV when I was very young but, when we did get one it was limited viewing only and it was only ever on if it was something special. Loved to watch This Wonderful World though, which covered the natural world and some science......Muffin the Mule, Andy Pandy and Loobyloo I watched at a friends............if we remembered as usually outside raking about.:D

Vistravi
14-Jun-09, 14:29
I grew up watching Worzel gummidge, black beauty, lone ranger and the only books i read were the oor willie and the broons annuals. :cool: The highlight of my week was my mum getting the Sunday post newspaper for our weekly read of oor Willie.

I saw black beauty as a child and i cried buckets when his friend the mare ginger? died. I tried to hide it from my siblings and my parents but they all knew and know now that i'm just a big sap.

I love our wullie and the broons. My mum collects the books and whenever she gets a new one i borrow it for the night to read it. :)

Vistravi
14-Jun-09, 14:32
Thundercats, Carebears, Trap Door! He-man and god who remembers Round The Twist?!

I also loved My Little Pony!!
Book wise, Little Dracula (?) and Funny Bones. Can't think of any others for the moment.

Thundercats, care bears, he man and the trap door. i remember those. my partner loves the trap door. I loved care bears for a while myself.
My sister was obessed with my little pony:roll: Never liked it myself.

Vistravi
14-Jun-09, 14:45

Not old Kevin, matured;)
Did you not know that age makes everything better. You wouldn't like a young whiskey ;)

Angel
14-Jun-09, 22:20
Walking through the fallen leaves
Together in the Autumn you and I,
When we were young
Planning for the future
Without knowing what it held for us at all...

Angel...

Gene Hunt
14-Jun-09, 23:10
Ah Trap Door !! .. I dare you to watch this and not sing along at the end .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9dbAQJIu1o .. :D

I always liked Ivor the Engine, it was relevant to me being Welsh .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDWk0BCeblQ

Kevin Milkins
14-Jun-09, 23:22
Ah Trap Door !! .. I dare you to watch this and not sing along at the end .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9dbAQJIu1o .. :D

I always liked Ivor the Engine, it was relevant to me being Welsh .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDWk0BCeblQ

Ivor, mmmmmmmmm ,yes such a simple lifestyle.:Razz

Question Gene, where is the railway mans arms? Please don't say atached to his shoulders.lol

David Banks
15-Jun-09, 08:51
After we got electricity, I remember it was easier to play with meccano, jigsaw puzzles, and snakes and ladders when it was couled and weet.
After someone in the district got a TV, I remember The Lone Ranger, some other western where the opening credits had the wagon wheels which seemed to go backwards, some cartoons like Deputy Dawg. Later, there was Perry Mason.
Books included Robin Hood and Moby Dick. The latter must have been a Readers Digest abridged version, because I recently tried the original - NOT the same book that I remember.
Too much darned American influence if you ask me. Here I am in Halifax, NS, just spitting distance from the U S of A. I started out in Calgary in 1975 - with oil and cowboys. Dag nappit.
Seems like I bought the whole story, don't it ?

The Angel Of Death
15-Jun-09, 09:47
Has to be The A Team saturday night was sat infront of the tv glued waiting for it to come one

Heaven help anyone that changed the channel

Gene Hunt
15-Jun-09, 13:45
Ivor, mmmmmmmmm ,yes such a simple lifestyle.:Razz

Question Gene, where is the railway mans arms? Please don't say atached to his shoulders.lol

The Railway Arms is the pub in Life on Mars .. ;)

Kevin Milkins
15-Jun-09, 14:32

LOL, Arrr right, I thought you were refering to the Railway Inn at Abercynon.:confused

Bazeye
15-Jun-09, 20:27

Whats the atmosphere like in there?

Tilly Teckel
15-Jun-09, 21:59
Highlight of my week was getting my Beano and Dandy through the letterbox. Mother tried to make me read Bunty but it was just too girly for me. She bought me a Sindy ballerina doll once; I cut her hair into a mohican style, ripped her leotard and put safety pins through it and sat her in the sidecar of Action Man's motorbike- my kind of girl! (Action Man was the one with the moving eyes - remember him? Also had the one with the bristly hair!)

TV-wise I loved The Muppets (still do!) and later Count Duckula and Dangermouse (both with David Jason) - proper funny cartoons!

Liz
15-Jun-09, 22:39
Highlight of my week was getting my Beano and Dandy through the letterbox. Mother tried to make me read Bunty but it was just too girly for me.

Oh I loved Saturdays as it was comic day!

I got the Topper, Beano and Dandy as well as the 'girly' ones like Bunty and Diana.
Summer Specials were so exciting and Annuals were even better!:lol: