PDA

View Full Version : The public voice speaks.......

Humerous Vegetable
13-Jun-09, 11:18
.......and everybody ignores it. Did anybody else see this sad buck-passing excuse of a reply from Westminster to the petition about outrageous delivery charges to the Highlands? http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19603 I guess we all knew that nobody gives a monkey's about how much it costs to live anywhere further north than the central belt, what with food and fuel costing an arm and a leg up here, but now we have more solid proof that public petitions are a total waste of time. We already knew that in Caithness, following the ASDA fiasco.
Is it worth us compiling a list here on the Org of those companies who impose surcharges for the Highlands and Islands? It might save us internet shoppers a lot of fruitless searches for stuff and there must be a lot of personal experience out there to draw on. We could maybe do it under headings - for example I have recently been looking for a bit of garden kit and have come across some truely disgusting surcharges. One company wanted £30 on top of their "national carriage rate" for something which cost less than £60.

WeeBurd
13-Jun-09, 11:48
Great idea HV, I've been muttering to my hubby for a long time that it would be a great idea if the Org had a couple of sticky threads in the Recommendations section, where you could add companies who charge nothing extra to deliver to the Highlands, and those to avoid due to their high charges, or (and this is becoming more and more common) companies who simply refuse to deliver to the Highlands.

If any companies are offended by it, well I suppose they could consider reviewing their delivery options, and their improved service may see them being removed from the naughty list and added to the nice one ;).

tonkatojo
13-Jun-09, 12:21
.......and everybody ignores it. Did anybody else see this sad buck-passing excuse of a reply from Westminster to the petition about outrageous delivery charges to the Highlands? http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19603 I guess we all knew that nobody gives a monkey's about how much it costs to live anywhere further north than the central belt, what with food and fuel costing an arm and a leg up here, but now we have more solid proof that public petitions are a total waste of time. We already knew that in Caithness, following the ASDA fiasco.
Is it worth us compiling a list here on the Org of those companies who impose surcharges for the Highlands and Islands? It might save us internet shoppers a lot of fruitless searches for stuff and there must be a lot of personal experience out there to draw on. We could maybe do it under headings - for example I have recently been looking for a bit of garden kit and have come across some truely disgusting surcharges. One company wanted £30 on top of their "national carriage rate" for something which cost less than £60.

Nice to see you using your-grey matter.
But it isn't just company's from further south than Edinburgh that are at fault I have had the same response from Perth, Aberdeen and a few others wanting stupid postage surcharges. As for ASDA that makes my blood boil as well, being stuck with Tesco as the only major supermarket, I wonder who is really to blame for them not coming here ??.