PDA

View Full Version : winmx and MP3 help!!!!!!

porshiepoo
13-Mar-06, 19:55
I've always been able to use winmx but when I recently had to have my computer recovered the Norton anti virus 2003 seems to be stopping the winmx thingy from connecting.
Anyone know what I can do? I've tried other p2ps too.
I've also tried the things it says in the norton help but it ain't helping.
Does anyone understand any of this?

Also. Kids have got MP3 players that they want to download music onto but they've lost the instructions.
How do we download music from say a cd that I've saved to my computer? We've tried everything and can't get it to work. Should it really be this blinkin hard?

Ali
13-Mar-06, 20:22
I've just got a new laptop with wireless connection and I cant get winmx to start up either?? Help

Answers please in non technical Jargon. :-)

If you plug in the mp3 player do you not click and drag files to it? I used to open 2 windows. one for "my music" and "my computer" which normally shows the mp3 player as a portable device. Worked for me before I got the laptop.

Al

porshiepoo
13-Mar-06, 20:29
Yeah I think it should work like that but it doesn't appear to be doing.

Answers on a postcard guys.

acameron
13-Mar-06, 21:05
Sounds like your firewall is stopping it

angela5
13-Mar-06, 21:15
Sounds like your firewall is stopping it

Quite possible..i had a few problems with my computer last week..firewall was stopping me doing certain things as soon as i removed firewall everything was fine..

pultneytooner
13-Mar-06, 21:40
To get your music files onto your MP3 player just plug the player into your usb socket then go into my computer and the mp3 player should be listed there as a storage device.
Open the folder that contains your cd tracks, left click your mouse and highlight all the songs or each one individualy and then open your mp3 player icon in my computer and simply right click and paste the songs and they will transfer to your player.:grin:
Hope this helps.
Not a good Idea to go onto the internet without a firewall!
Heres a link for another p2p program like winmx.

http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net/

tip top
13-Mar-06, 22:41
I use limewire to download and windows media player to synchronise works a treat for a technophobe

Oddquine
13-Mar-06, 22:47
I use limewire as well. Tried most of the others,but have found it best.....but, if you haven't got an antivirus which checks on download..don't ever forget to virus-check anything you download from P2P services beforeopening.

Oddquine
13-Mar-06, 22:53
Also. Kids have got MP3 players that they want to download music onto but they've lost the instructions.
How do we download music from say a cd that I've saved to my computer? We've tried everything and can't get it to work. Should it really be this blinkin hard?

I assume you are changing the wav file on the CD to mp3 before you try to transfer it.

With most MP3 players I have anything to do with.............it is just a case of plugging in the USB and dragging and dropping from Windows Explorer....... but having said that, Ipods may be different.

pultneytooner
13-Mar-06, 22:53
limewire is fast but contains too many fake and sometimes malicious files, a road which winmx and most other decentralized p2p sites are going down.
This is mostly due to the illegality of downloading copyrighted material as a lot of companies employ others to upload fake and malicious files to try and put a curb on illegal filesharing.

Oddquine
13-Mar-06, 22:58
limewire is fast but contains too many fake and sometimes malicious files, a road which winmx and most other decentralized p2p sites are going down.
This is mostly due to the illegality of downloading copyrighted material as a lot of companies employ others to upload fake and malicious files to try and put a curb on illegal filesharing.

I use the free AVAST anti-virus, and it is ace at picking up corrupted downloads before they actually get saved.I guess it's down to what kinds of files you download...........programme files tend to have more of that than music ones, I've found.

As an aside, why can't I copy and pasteto alter the layout of posts on here....or is it just me?

pultneytooner
13-Mar-06, 23:07
As an aside, why can't I copy and paste to alter the layout of posts on here....or is it just me?
Switch to editor mode using the icon at the top right hand corner.

Oddquine
13-Mar-06, 23:10
Thanks muchly...........it has been a pain, because I can never remember what I have written to rewrite it.....so much of my scintillating prose gets lost when I decide I've set it out wrong!

Ali
13-Mar-06, 23:12
To get your music files onto your MP3 player just plug the player into your usb socket then go into my computer and the mp3 player should be listed there as a storage device.
Open the folder that contains your cd tracks, left click your mouse and highlight all the songs or each one individualy and then open your mp3 player icon in my computer and simply right click and paste the songs and they will transfer to your player.:grin:
Hope this helps.
Not a good Idea to go onto the internet without a firewall!
Heres a link for another p2p program like winmx.

http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net/

I've just downloaded ares and it works a treat. Thank you very much.

Al

pultneytooner
13-Mar-06, 23:13
You're very welcome.:grin:

Oddquine
14-Mar-06, 00:38
I've downloaded it as well. Will give ita try.

Phoebus_Apollo
14-Mar-06, 00:51
Download Shareaza (http://www.shareaza.com/) not only can it handle torrents and standard P2P but it `s spyware free!!:o)