PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Glass

Kevin Milkins
12-Jun-09, 21:08
Is Caithness glass still in production? I know the one in Wick has been gone a while, but I thought also the one in Perth had stoped production.

Mrs M was watching the shopping channel with her mum and it was selling paper weights and showed how they were being made in the far North of Scotland.:confused

TRUCKER
12-Jun-09, 21:41
Yes they still make paperweights, it is now done in crieff they are now a divison of dartington crystal.

TBH
12-Jun-09, 21:43
They shouldna get away wi' callin et Caithness Glass, if they do it's a damn cheek.

Kevin Milkins
12-Jun-09, 22:35
Yes they still make paperweights, it is now done in crieff they are now a divison of dartington crystal.

Thanks for that info TRUCKER as the old girl fancied a couple of paper weights and I told her it must have been an old programme.:confused

They shouldna get away wi' callin et Caithness Glass, if they do it's a damn cheek.

I suppose they get away with it because Caithness Glass is now a brand and not a product.:confused (Perhaps).

TBH
12-Jun-09, 22:47
I suppose they get away with it because Caithness Glass is now a brand and not a product.:confused (Perhaps).The name should be protected as is the likes of Parma Ham, et al and etc. This European union we are part of should be protecting companies such as this. Caithness Glass is a world famous name which should still be manufacturing in Caithness.

EDDIE
12-Jun-09, 22:55

I know its terrible its the same as scottish beef everyone thinks its scottish beef when a lot of it aint its just processed in scotland the animals come from other countrys as long as they process it in scotland they can call it scottish beef

purplelady
13-Jun-09, 00:09
I know the old one in perth has been pulled down and as far as i know tis not back there x

Fran
13-Jun-09, 01:07
Caithness glass is no longer. Blythswood shop in wick has a lot of caithness glass, and paperweights, some boxed, in their window in wick."Himself" was a glassblower for many years.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jun-09, 01:30
The name should be protected as is the likes of Parma Ham, et al and etc. This European union we are part of should be protecting companies such as this. Caithness Glass is a world famous name which should still be manufacturing in Caithness.

If Carlsberg did irony.

Fluff
13-Jun-09, 13:14
OOh spooky, I was just thinking about Caithness Glass the other day too!
I did my work experience there, it was a brilliant week, fantastic place. I got to engrave my own vase too

weeboyagee
13-Jun-09, 16:13
Dartington Crystal owning the brand name Caithness Glass - now that's the irony!

I once visited that place as our (Caithness Glass') main competition. The people at the top of that organisation were the people at the top of Caithness Glass when it went down. The remaining part of CG after Wick was axed was sold to Edinburgh Crystal - who also went bust (go back to a post of mine in 2004!).

The product classed as Caithness Glass now is a disgrace to the term and brand name for what it originally represented. A crying shame. Business, enterprise and commercial viability determined the closure. Mark my words, if that's the case, Dartington will collapse in the near future. Remember my post when I forecasted the collapse of Edinburgh Crystal months before it went? In today's modern world that market will not survive as an indigenous UK market - the Far East will ultimatley kill it. And it won't happen to nicer people.

WBG :cool:

Tom Cornwall
13-Jun-09, 16:22
There's still the Caitness Crystal factory in King's Lynn..wasn't Caithness Crystal part of CG at one time...

weeboyagee
13-Jun-09, 16:39
Caithness Glass bought the Crystal Factory in Kings Lynn in the late 80's / early 90's. CG introduced colour to their clear crystal - the first main range to be unveiled with this idea was Panache - pink swirls in clear crystal in a range of stemed and highball crystal glassware. The manufacturing element ceased shortly aferwards because of the extreme competition in the market (especially from Czech Rep and Far East). A glassmaking studio remained for attracting visitors. Their sales outlet added a considerable boost to the groups overall sales at the time.

WBG :cool:

Kevin Milkins
13-Jun-09, 16:45
Had a tour of the Waterford Crystal factory many years ago and I think they have gone bump as well now.:confused

weeboyagee
13-Jun-09, 18:13
Yip - they have gone bump as well - also Wedgewood Crystal and a number of others are brand name only - being procurers rather than manufacturers now. The brands were strong but the competition and cost was just not commercially viable.

WBG

dragonfly
13-Jun-09, 18:15
even Denby (sure its part of the same group) isn't as safe as it used to be, too many cheaper alternatives but coffee doesn't taste right out of a cheaper mug :Razz