PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a bit more snow yet

Tugmistress
13-Mar-06, 17:43
Having a quick look at the charts today for later in the week ... possibility of some more snow showers for us around wednesday night to about saturday early hours. nothing to get excited about though unfortunately.

taken from net-weather.co.uk.....

A warm front is expected to move slowly east across the UK before being over run by a cold front coming in behind, followed closely by a trough producing some sharp wintry showers. Exact details are still vague but more northern areas of the UK are expected to have a risk of snowfall ,sleet and freezing rain in the next 24 hours. Current details are as follows but may be updated as further information is obtained.

During this afternoon a front will move in from the west. This will initially bring rain for some western areas but is expected to fall as snow over Scotland especially areas above 250 meters where perhaps falls in excess of 20cm are possible. Across the south of Scotland where cold air is moving north, graupel or freezing rain may occur.

Stargazer
13-Mar-06, 20:12
It is said that while snow lingers behind the dykes there is more to come.

I cannot remember if there is a folklore poem to go with that, but it seems to work.

Tugmistress
13-Mar-06, 22:07
I have not heard that before Stargazer, is it a local saying? and yes i can see the theory behind that working quite well :)

Oddquine
13-Mar-06, 23:04
Notwithstanding the wind and rain, there are still patches of snow in the field outside my window.

Does that count as "snow lingering behind the dyke" ?

Katy
13-Mar-06, 23:07
I heard of that too, and it is usually always true and you often find the snow comes back worse than it was before...oh help we are meant to be going off to Dundee this weekend, looks like that could be off then....

kx

ice box
13-Mar-06, 23:28
more the better bring it on but i will walk no car after the last time .

willowbankbear
14-Mar-06, 02:21
How much did it cost to sort yer car Ice Box?

goldenguernsey
14-Mar-06, 03:04
If the snow still hangs about behind the dyke backs, there is more snow to come.....

Saveman
14-Mar-06, 15:10
I don't think we'll get the amount of snow we had last time....maybe just a little smattering...I'm no expert tho :p

willowbankbear
14-Mar-06, 15:39
I have not heard that before Stargazer, is it a local saying? and yes i can see the theory behind that working quite well :)

Top wind speeds in Scrabster yesterday please Tugmistress, It appears to be s.s.e 6-7 today in Wick,definately not as hard as yesterday. Not sure for wind chill but my prediction is no snow until the wind veers Northerly

Tugmistress
14-Mar-06, 16:44
Top wind speeds in Scrabster yesterday please Tugmistress, It appears to be s.s.e 6-7 today in Wick,definately not as hard as yesterday. Not sure for wind chill but my prediction is no snow until the wind veers Northerly

55.2mph max gust & 31.3mph average yesterday :D

if we get any snow later this week it wil be on an easterly :) though if we do it will just be a dusting i reckon. Friend was telling us over a foot yesterday in the Clydebank area :D

ice box
14-Mar-06, 20:30
How much did it cost to sort yer car Ice Box?
you fancy paying lol

peedie man
14-Mar-06, 21:43
wick reports (http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGPC.html) will help you willowbank bear.....more snow in a weeks time