PDA

View Full Version : peat for the barbeque

rich
11-Jun-09, 15:23
I wonder how many orgers are going to be barbecuing this summer and how many of you have considered using peat as the fuel.

In Ireland they use turf chips to barbecue. I dont see why the same procedure could not be followed in Caithness. Perhaps a business already exists?

Here is the barbeque with turf site from Ireland:

http://www.irishsmoke.ie/

Joefitz
11-Jun-09, 15:26
I lived on Glenfiddich estate outside Dufftown in 1971, as a gamekeeper. We used to make small peat fires and cook rabbit or blue hare on them in the autumn. Tasted awful good, too!

George Brims
11-Jun-09, 23:14
I've cooked trout over a peat campfire. Wonderful.

Rheghead
12-Jun-09, 18:32
Isn't it bad for health bbqing with peat? Heavy metals and all that. Probably in long term, the odd bbq wouldn't be a problem.

rich
12-Jun-09, 19:35
I suppose our Caithness ancestors must have lived in peatsmoke (no chimneys) and smoked fish to preserve it. All of which sounds highly carcinogenic.

Somewhere I read that the main source of Vitamin C in the Highlands in the 19th century was from rhubarb which they would grow on the midden.

It makes me wonder how they survived.

And on St. Kilda's, puffins, dried on the clothesline were a prominent part of the diet.

I think I might have had a worse meal in a hotel in Thurso (which shall remain nameless.)

What we need now is to follow the example of our Irish cousins and start marketing this exotic stuff.

We should start by creating a puffin trail with samples to taste.

In a gesture to today's high-tech world we will not dry our puffins on clotheslines in the back green - no! We will attach them to the wind machines that blight our view of Morven!

We could even have advertising placards attached to the wind machines extolling the gourmet delights of our local Barbecue Peat.

I can just see the headlines - Big Flap on the Cassiemire!

What a vision! Gourmets from all over the world will be headed for the Ord of Caithness.

To find out more details of the coming economic transformation and to obtain a stake in it send cheques and postal orders to Rich, Robert Mowat House, Toronto Canada

Thank you!

Tristan
12-Jun-09, 20:18
Why would there be heavy metals? Are the Peatlands contaminated?:confused

Kodiak
12-Jun-09, 21:13
We tried to use Peat on our Barbeque but he fought so hard we had to let him go. [lol]

Rheghead
12-Jun-09, 22:06
Had a peat bbq tonight on the chiminea and I'm a convert, very tasty.:lol:

wifie
13-Jun-09, 01:57
Somewhere I read that the main source of Vitamin C in the Highlands in the 19th century was from rhubarb which they would grow on the midden.

It makes me wonder how they survived.

Emmmm, what do you think fertilser is?