PDA

View Full Version : Pick a charity.

cuddlepop
11-Jun-09, 15:12
If you had time to work for a charity for free who would it be and why?

I'm starting tomorrow down at our charity shop down at the pier because its a great shop with friendly people .

I'm not a church goer but I believe in what they do,if that makes sense.:confused

I also donate every month to the SSPCAA but as they have know shop here I cant "work" for them.:)

PDSA get all our charity bags if I remember to take them to Inverness and if i dont they go down the pier.

pat
11-Jun-09, 17:45
I do a few hours in the local RNLI shop and a few hours here and there for any charity I consider I want to donate time.

I volunteer with the RNLI shop as live on an island, off a bigger island, both surrounded by very dangerous water and it is all volunteers and donations which keep this excellent service running - no money from the government at all.

Folk have got used to me picking up all the pennies and now 5ps which children consider to be dross and worthless, they throw they down rather than keep them in their pockets - hope they remember that when they need money in later years when parents are not supplying everything to them. I
This alone brings in a good few extra pounds every year to the RNLI and it does not take time or real effort.

meu04223
11-Jun-09, 17:55
We are also fundraising for the local branch of RNLI in Lybster, Caithness on Saturday. Our fund raising idea is a mile of pennies in the village with donations being laid down throughout the day.

Gene Hunt
11-Jun-09, 18:06
Everyman.

They were a big help to me during when I had cancer and they are critically underfunded, they do a lot of good work in advice and awareness of male cancers.

grumpy1
11-Jun-09, 21:15
i commend anyone who goes out of there way to help any worthwhile cause..i myself do a lot at work for the charity they choose which this year is the muscular dystrophy campaign...so well done to everyone who makes that little extra effort

skinnydog
11-Jun-09, 21:30
Well done all you helpers! I used to help at the riding for the disabled many years ago when I had Wednesday off and worked Saturdays and that was good fun.

Now I just support charities rather than being able to give my time. I have done the dog walk for Balmore every year but this one and bake heaps and make jam etc for donations to whatever I want.

Fran
12-Jun-09, 01:02
I worked in the Hospice shop for 10 years.I do fundraising for the lifeboat and I do voluntary work for SSAFFA, the hospital , British Heart Foundation and the dialysis support group and the cancer support group I set up. i'm kept busy. Have to say Macmillan cancer care is the charity i would most support, in Caithness.

oldmarine
12-Jun-09, 05:15

I'm starting tomorrow down at our charity shop down at the pier because its a great shop with friendly people .

I'm not a church goer but I believe in what they do,if that makes sense.:confused

I also donate every month to the SSPCAA but as they have know shop here I cant "work" for them.:)

PDSA get all our charity bags if I remember to take them to Inverness and if i dont they go down the pier.

I've done volunteer for senior citizens by taking them meals on wheels. When I saw happy smiles on their faces, it made me glow inside.

cuddlepop
12-Jun-09, 20:19
I really enjoyed myself today and wished I'd done it years ago.:D

The shop was really busy this morning with plenty to do.It helped that we're in such a great location down at the peir and the weather was beautiful .

Its a pity more people arent able to give up a morning or afternoon to help in these charity shops.

ANNIE
12-Jun-09, 20:27
it would be help for heros and the reason is cause the government put our men and women out to war and then wont even pay to rehabilitate them when they come back injured :( Having a son myself in the forces its something quite close to me. Hoping to do something in the summer to raise funds so will keep u posted

aldis
12-Jun-09, 22:20
I was raised by my parents to be a volunteer. Since I've retired, I've been helping out once a week at a charity shop for one of the local hospitals. It is interesting to seem how much a little effort does. Not only do we raise the money for the hospital, we are a great source of cheap clothing and household goods for people of low income. Much of the donations of goods which we receive are sorted into items for us to sell in the shop, items suitable for the local women's shelter, craft items for an alternative school for aboriginal (Indian) children, etc. Some clothing items which are not suitable for us to sell are passed on to several missions for street people (homeless). Toys that are in good shape are saved for Christmas and given to poor families. We even give the old rags to the mechanics in the car repair shop near us. On so many levels this little act of volunteering is helping people.
Keep up the good work everybody.

TBH
12-Jun-09, 22:26

PDSA get all our charity bags if I remember to take them to Inverness and if i dont they go down the pier.I admire what charities do but I do not believe they should exist in Britain, for anything other than external causes.

forevera123
13-Jun-09, 11:11
sorry i am always far too busy to do some charity work, but i try mY best to put as many pennies into the charity boxes as i can afford.:)

bobandag16
13-Jun-09, 15:16
crossroads. my choice. for what they have done for me over many years.ready to die .come back new life . model boats. computor.now 89in aug.help when needed thanks.