PDA

View Full Version : Bank notes

tonkatojo
11-Jun-09, 13:56
Every now and again The wife gives me some bank notes to go into hospital with (as if I would dare spend it), quite frankly it could be monopoly foreign or any bits of official looking paper as there are so many different designs, different banks, different colours etc. It's a nightmare for me and I profess to have all my faculties working, the old folk and poor sighted must have a hard time, I know I should be more familiar with them but honestly I don't use money all that often.
Does anyone else have the same problem ?.

joxville
11-Jun-09, 14:35
I'm the same, never handling money often. Usually it's all gone on bills or tax before I get to see it. [disgust]

forevera123
13-Jun-09, 11:40
I'm the same, never handling money often. Usually it's all gone on bills or tax before I get to see it. [disgust]
yeah, i got the same problem. i always mix up ten pounds notes and twenty's, pound notes and five pound notes. there are so many different bank issue the bank notes, it takes time for us to regonize them

Alice in Blunderland
13-Jun-09, 11:49
Garuanteed your average teenager can tell you exactly what all the different notes look like in an instant no problem. :lol:

tonkatojo
13-Jun-09, 12:09
yeah, i got the same problem. i always mix up ten pounds notes and twenty's, pound notes and five pound notes. there are so many different bank issue the bank notes, it takes time for us to regonize them

aye but by that time they have changed them. :~(

forevera123
13-Jun-09, 13:52
aye but by that time they have changed them. :~(
that s the problem, so many bank issuing the different bank notes and them keeping changing

Stefan
13-Jun-09, 14:19
I don't handle cash all that much other than giving out pocket money :roll:

Most annoyingly my kids have had trouble in several shops in England paying with Scottish bank notes. Nightmare.

People hold them against the light, show them to their colleagues and call for the manager who starts with the show all over again, then the final verdict: we can't accept that fiver, it doesn't look real.

WHAT ?????

What is wrong with English people ?????

I usually end up changing it for an English note for them and take the Scottish money back to Scotland....

As we say in Germany : Was der Bauer nicht kennt frisst er nicht...

kmahon2001
13-Jun-09, 14:46
I don't handle cash all that much other than giving out pocket money :roll:

Most annoyingly my kids have had trouble in several shops in England paying with Scottish bank notes. Nightmare.

People hold them against the light, show them to their colleagues and call for the manager who starts with the show all over again, then the final verdict: we can't accept that fiver, it doesn't look real.

WHAT ?????

I usually end up changing it for an English note for them and take the Scottish money back to Scotland....

As we say in Germany : Was der Bauer nicht kennt frisst er nicht...

The trouble is the number of different notes of the same denomination up here. In England, a £10 note, is a £10 note, is a £10 note - they all look the same and everyone knows what they should look like. Up here there are 3 different banks producing bank notes and each of those banks has several different designs for each denomination. I had a Bank of Scotland £10 note the other day that looked more like one of the old French Franc notes. How on earth are we supposed to know whether or not we have a genuine note or not, let alone people in England who only rarely, if ever, get given these notes. People in London who are used to dealing with different currencies, including Scottish notes, are usually ok and people just South of the Border are used to them too but anywhere else in England they simply don't see these notes and they all look like monopoly money to them. :confused:

shazzap
13-Jun-09, 14:51
[quote=Stefan;560701]

Nothing

Stefan
13-Jun-09, 16:06

Nothing

You sure about that?
I have seen some weird behaviour in the last 9 years I have lived in England...

Just wait until we get the Euro... then you soon change your mind about Scottish money looking like monopoly money ;-)

I still can't tell the coins part...

shazzap
13-Jun-09, 16:36
[quote=Stefan;560737]You sure about that?
I have seen some weird behaviour in the last 9 years I have lived in England...

Absolutely positive.

What do you class as weird behaviour?