PDA

View Full Version : Holidays

pink25
11-Jun-09, 12:38
Looking for some holiday inspiration...where was your favourite holiday abroad and why? :)

dragonfly
11-Jun-09, 12:48
Florida for the fun aspect of it
Maldives for the relaxation, smells of the exotic plants, paddling with exotic fish and dodging the falling coconuts was fun
Rhodes for the friendliness of the locals

even caravanning in one of the wettest summers I've known (2 years ago) was enjoyable - holidays are what you make of them yourself :Razz

BINBOB
11-Jun-09, 13:13
For me it was

Hong Kong............it was so amazing and i saw my 2 puppies out there.[living with a scotsman].

Washington......I loved the historical aspects of it.and the lovely buildings...especially ,the cathedral.[also saw my puppy that lives there].

Zakythnos............because my dad loved our holiday there..........and left me with super memories of him.

Worst place we ever went to was Tunisia.............never again.

Kodiak
11-Jun-09, 13:28
Morocco was the best place I ever visited, mind you that was back in 1970 and was much safer then.

But was still great, the Old Walled city of FEZ was fantastic as was Marakesh.

Tom Cornwall
11-Jun-09, 14:49
we're just back from Turkey..Olu Deniz...and it was great...the Turkish lira against the pound was a good swap, compared to euros...they acept British £10 and £5 notes..not £20 notes and definately not Scottish or Irish money..not even in the banks...but the people were great, the place was brilliant and the weather was excellent..if you leave it till July/August it could get too hot.. don't fly out of Gatwick...a terrible airport..

BINBOB
11-Jun-09, 14:56
quote=Tom Cornwall;559865]we're just back from Turkey..Olu Deniz...and it was great...the Turkish lira against the pound was a good swap, compared to euros...they acept British £10 and £5 notes..not £20 notes and definately not Scottish or Irish money..not even in the banks...but the people were great, the place was brilliant and the weather was excellent..if you leave it till July/August it could get too hot.. don't fly out of Gatwick...a terrible airport..[/quote]

add heathrow to it..absolutely awful place.at least i did have some sanctuary in first class lounge.thank goodness.;)

christina
11-Jun-09, 19:43
Florida has to be our best Holiday yet we went 5 years ago and going back next year:D. Disney World was like being in a fairytale dream:Razz my Son loved it. My best mate lives in Clearwater in Tampa Bay so its great she knows all the good places to go.

Also have another friend there that I use to Childmind there son so will meet up with them aswell. The locals are so friendly and happy and go out of there way to welcome you. The rides were really scary :confused but worth it. And as for the food portions they are huge I remember my son ordering fish and chips, and he got a small basket of chips with 4 pieces of fish with it.

Its an action filled holiday though and not much resting takes place.

pink25
11-Jun-09, 20:34
Yeah I've been to Florida aswell - Walt Disney Land is something else!! :D Everything is so BIG over there - the rides, the food portions...everything! Great place!
Would love to back someday - but I'm not the best of flyers so the long flight puts me off :~(
Florida - definately one of my best holidays though.
Also went to Lanzarote once - lovely place with no shortage of things to do :)
Whenever I've been looking for holidays - Turkey always seems to be the cheapest, good to hear its good as I began to wonder why it was so cheap!

With weather like this - I cant wait to get away!!

skinnydog
11-Jun-09, 20:50
Crikey where do I start? I used to work in a travel agents a long time ago and went everywhere and did everything. There is no where I wouldnt go back to everywhere has its good points and bad points.

We are going back to California for a third time this year but only because my brother is living there just now, would normally try and go different places.

Holidays are definitely what you make of them. I dont think it matters how relaxed a holiday you have, the travelling is just the most horrendous part.

porshiepoo
12-Jun-09, 08:18
Turkey - Side - The locals were friendly and fantastic with kids and the hotel was top notch and amazingly clean. Went back a few times.

Africa - Malindi - Maybe at the time we didn't appreciate armed guards everywhere and the poverty but looking back it was great. My 6 year olds (at the time) will always remember snorkelling along the coral.

Crete - another friendly place in a quiet self catering place.

Cyprus - Near Paphos - best mass family holiday I've ever had. My sister grounded the plane on the way out due to serious illness but she flew out a few days later with her family and my mum and it was the best holiday ever.

Places I've been that I would recommend you avoid - Cuba (Cuban keyes), Tunisia and Margarita Island.

arana negra
12-Jun-09, 08:23
:) West of Scotland ! turn right just before Lochinver and head for Stoer I love the area and am coming back this August.

Sevilla Andalucia. Great place lots to do whatever your passion.

Tobago last year hire a 4x4 and go off road amazing what you will see, you can drive up the river to a waterfall if you dare :eek: we had to give up the wee thing just couldnae make it.

hobbes1962
12-Jun-09, 13:43
Majorca (Cala d'Or) - recommend
Lanzarote - make sure you go on a submarine ride while you're there
Isle of Man - loads of things to do
Italy (Torbole in Lake Garda) - Stunning, make sure you visit the Dolomites, they're just breathtaking

To avoid the big airports like Gatwick, Heathrow, Glasgow etc use a holiday company called Newmarket (www.newmarketholidays.co.uk (http://www.newmarketholidays.co.uk)) as they fly direct from your local airport, ie Inverness. Went with them to Italy last year and two and a half hours from Inverness, you're in Verona airport.

vaughan
12-Jun-09, 14:15
Cuba is interesting culturally. Its like entering a differant world frozen in time. You have to understand that you cannot measure it against other Carribean resort holidays though, the place had rationing when I went and that was only 3 years ago.

Loafer
12-Jun-09, 21:51
Looking for some holiday inspiration...where was your favourite holiday abroad and why? :)

Why abroad? Make no mistake, there is nowhere as beautiful as Scotland. The Fort William area is outstanding, the road from the western isles to Invergarry (the A87) is MILES better than anything I have seen in the Alps. Ireland a very close 2nd.

The Loafer

Fluff
13-Jun-09, 13:18
Well I have only been abroad twice, once to Barbados and once to Germany. I loved Germany, such a beautiful country.
We are going to Florida in about 4-5 weeks, doing the whole theme park thing. Should be great!

The macs
13-Jun-09, 14:39
Bali is amazing, very serene and chill out.
Bangkok was mad,crazy so vibrant and alive. We did it as a 2 centre so had the madness of Bangkok and them the chill out of Bali.

Mauritius is fab, very friendly.
Dubai is amazing,boiling hot and the shopping is fab, especially the gold souk. The Burj Al Arab hotel ( 7 star hotel ) was a real experience, £40 a head for afternoon tea but worth every penny, just to look around the hotel. How the other half live!!

I also love theCaribbean, for the white sands and turquoise seas.

Closer to home, Cyprus was fab, Egypt was amazing.

I love Cornwall and Devon too:Razz:Razz