PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Gigs

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Jun-09, 01:13
I wonder if we could use this as a sticky to highlight any gigs - in Caithness or elsewhere - coming up in the near future? Perhaps it would appear neater than having long lists of gigs flooding the main page, no?

Therefore, in true self-indulgent style, I'll lead off with one of my own...

James Brown Is Annie are supporting visceral jazz-punks, Acoustic Ladyland, at the Voodoo Rooms on Wednesday 24th June from 7.30pm (£9). AL's live shows are just as loud as their drummer's hair, so to all our regular Caithness-associated pals who have been coming to our shows of late, I'd recommend buying a pair of wax earplugs from Boots beforehand.

Before that, though, the long-anticipated appearance (for me anyway) of Zappa Plays Zappa comes to the Edinburgh Picture House next Thursday evening (18th June). A gig not to be missed for Zappa fans anywhere. Cannae wait.

zappster
10-Jun-09, 15:32
Yep I'll be there at Zappa plays Zappa canna wait!...then ac/dc wembley the week afterwards..joost seek i couldnt get tix for chickenfoot on the thursday night!

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Jun-09, 17:02
I managed to get a wee blether with Dweezil a few weeks ago. You can read what he had to say here: http://living.scotsman.com/interviews/Interview-Dweezil-Zappa--Proud.5349330.jp

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jun-09, 01:40
Mair JBiA gigs. This time, supporting Grammy-award-nominee and Allman Brothers' guitarist Dereck Trucks (Band) at the ABC in Glasgow, Wednesday 15 July...

Here's a wee clip of Trucks with John Frusciante and John Mayer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LrZKcp2ZcQ

http://www.myspace.com/thederektrucksband

Jude
15-Jun-09, 16:55
JUDE

Saturday 4th(9ish) & Sunday 26th July(3ish) and then Friday 28th August (9ish) in The Blackstairs Lounge, Wick.

Saturday 1st August (Wick Gala Bonfire Night - 10 O'clock) in J.D Wetherspoons, Wick.

Also still lookin' for bookings if anyone knows anyone that needs a band. Pubs, Dances, Birthdays, Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, just whatever.

Jeid
15-Jun-09, 21:49
What? No kids parties? :(

Jude
16-Jun-09, 15:00
We'll do your party if your desperate like?

Jeid
16-Jun-09, 17:58
Do you play Take That or Xmas songs?

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Jun-09, 13:18
A couple of gigs that some here might like to know about...

Faith No More
Edinburgh Corn Exchange
Aug 25 (on sale Friday Jun 19)

Biffy Clyro
Dundee Caird Hall (Nov 1)
Glasgow Barrowland (Nov 2, 3)

canuck
17-Jun-09, 15:15
Good luck tonight Pepsi. I won't be there. But hopefully I'll get some ear plugs organized by the 24th.

Metalattakk
18-Jun-09, 05:26
We'll do your party if your desperate like?

Do you play Take That or Xmas songs?

Maybe Jude do covers of Cryptic Slaughter (http://www.myspace.com/officialcrypticslaughter) songs? I think we should be told.

Jude
18-Jun-09, 13:42
We play Take That AND Xmas songs min but only usually when its xmas and when theres not a Take That tour on. But we do make exceptions... anything to make the birthday boy's day a special one.

Maybe Jude do covers of Cryptic Slaughter (http://www.myspace.com/officialcrypticslaughter) songs? I think we should be told.

Someone should stop ye from using links. Ye just run a bit mad with them. I mean, you'd be knackered if somebody stole the right button off yer mouse.

I did, however, quite like the drums in the first song that came on. No bad for only havin' one arm.

Metalattakk
18-Jun-09, 15:16
Someone should stop ye from using links. Ye just run a bit mad with them.

Nobody forces you to click on the links you know? :D

I mean, you'd be knackered if somebody stole the right button off yer mouse.

Hardly, Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V works a treat. ;)

I did, however, quite like the drums in the first song that came on. No bad for only havin' one arm.

Over ma heid, that one. :confused

However, as someone who has no idea who Jude are, can I get an answer to the following question:

What sort of music do you play?

Jude
18-Jun-09, 18:04
Geezo, Should probably calm down on the quotes aswell.;)

Now there's a worthwhile question at last. And I'm sure you actually dyin' to know so I WILL bore you to death with an answer.

We started as a pub band playin' songs that we liked ourselves, different songs from what other bands we're playin'. Stuff from bands like The Coral, Pulp, Franz Ferdinand, La's, Yeti (I wanted to do Wheatus but nobody was havin' it. God knows why?) and as much fun as it was and still is, the moneys not great as you'll lekly know. So we learned a new set of songs and got some smarter threads to become suitable for weddings. So now we playin' anything from Roy Orbison to Free, The Beatles to Van Morrison or Elvis to Kings of Leon. Even some Eagles, Creedence and The Band or whatever. And touch of Scottish stuff too. And, of course, don't forget our 30 minute long Take That medley.

Still do the pub thing for the laugh.

Metalattakk
18-Jun-09, 19:50
And I'm sure you actually dyin' to know so I WILL bore you to death with an answer.

Actually, I was wanting to know. No point advertising your gigs if you don't let people know what they're going to be in for.

Jeid
18-Jun-09, 23:14
And, of course, don't forget our 30 minute long Take That medley.

http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/love.gif

Jude
19-Jun-09, 10:28
Actually, I was wanting to know. No point advertising your gigs if you don't let people know what they're going to be in for.

Well if ye'd asked that question in the first place maybe I'd have believed ye a little bit sooner.

Anyways, thanks for the enquiry. And, more importantly, will we be seein' ye at any of these soirees? We'll do ye a Cryptic Slaughter number:roll:...mmm, or maybe no.

Metalattakk
19-Jun-09, 11:29
Well if ye'd asked that question in the first place maybe I'd have believed ye a little bit sooner.

How can you not take a question like this (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=531131&postcount=2) seriously? Seriously?? What did youy think I was meaning? :D

Anyways, thanks for the enquiry. And, more importantly, will we be seein' ye at any of these soirees? We'll do ye a Cryptic Slaughter number:roll:...mmm, or maybe no.

Well, if you're through in Thurso sometime I might take the time for a visit, but I'm afraid I'll not be travelling all the way through to Wick just for a wedding dance band.

Sorry. ;)

Jude
19-Jun-09, 12:02
Fair dues but If ye'd read what I said then you'd realise that we don't play wedding stuff when we're in the pub.

And anyway it said in my first post that we'd do a wedding. So ye either don't actually read posts or ye just like gettin' wired in for no good reason. Canna decided which it is tho? :roll:

Jeid
19-Jun-09, 14:37
If you really do a 30minute Take That medley, and do it well, I might be forced to come see you. Do you do all the harmonies?

honey
19-Jun-09, 14:46
. And, of course, don't forget our 30 minute long Take That medley.

Im seeing Take That at hampden tomorrow night... are you as good as them?? ;)

Metalattakk
19-Jun-09, 16:00
Fair dues but If ye'd read what I said then you'd realise that we don't play wedding stuff when we're in the pub.
Ye actually didna say that. You said you'd given up the pub songs and learnt a new set for weddings and parties. Now I can read between the lines as well as the next man, but hell, sometimes we all need just a bit of clarity. ;)

And anyway it said in my first post that we'd do a wedding. So ye either don't actually read posts or ye just like gettin' wired in for no good reason. Canna decided which it is tho? :roll:
You also said you'd do Bar Mitzvahs. Maybe your whole post was a joke - again, how are we meant to tell? :D

If you really do a 30minute Take That medley, and do it well, I might be forced to come see you. Do you do all the harmonies?
Which one of them is the fat dancer (© some Manc loser)?

honey
19-Jun-09, 16:08
Which one of them is the fat dancer (© some Manc loser)?

hoy Metalattakk.... your looking to get into an arguement with a hormonal pregnant woman talking about my boys like that!! [evil]

:lol:

Metalattakk
19-Jun-09, 16:34
hoy Metalattakk.... your looking to get into an arguement with a hormonal pregnant woman talking about my boys like that!! [evil]

Hey, it wisna me that said it (http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/celebrity/PhotoGalleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=4946986&imageindex=11)! ;)

Jude
19-Jun-09, 18:44
If the opportunity to play at a Bar Mitzvah arose, I do believe we would take the booking.

It cleary says "and as much fun as this was, and STILL is..." and then later "we STILL do the pub thing." I believe the pub thing is how we orginally started, playin' songs we like and STILL continue to do so. We just do wedding type stuff aswell. And in fairness, it may not have been written exactly as you'd have liked it but I have old mouldy bread in e cupboard that could have understood it.

So we're no a wedding band playin' in e pub. We're a band playin' songs that we want to play in a pub. Can ye no be enticed through?

I will reveal the Fat Dancer til ye if you come down a lookie! Canna say fairer than that?

And with regards to the harmony question Jeid, the answer is no. We do a true take on Take That so we just get a machine to do it. I am of course, Honey.

telfordstar
19-Jun-09, 21:34

You will never get one over metalattakk he moans about everything.

Metalattakk
19-Jun-09, 22:37
So we're no a wedding band playin' in e pub. We're a band playin' songs that we want to play in a pub. Can ye no be enticed through?
A' doubt hid. We hev' cover bands here in Thirsa too, y'know. As I said, if ye come ben e' hoose then there's every chance I'll make the effort.

I will reveal the Fat Dancer til ye if you come down a lookie! Canna say fairer than that?
Fair enough. If ye need an extra fat dancer then gimme a shout. I'll see who I can rustle up. :D

And with regards to the harmony question Jeid, the answer is no. We do a true take on Take That so we just get a machine to do it.

I ROFLed. Sorry Honey! [lol]

You will never get one over metalattakk he moans about everything.
Oh, quit your moaning. ;)

buddyrich
20-Jun-09, 23:38
To do an authentic Take That cover you need to have two guys in the band who do absolutely nothing and have no reason to be there.

Jude
22-Jun-09, 15:11
We have four of those.

Invisible
22-Jun-09, 16:28
AC/DC - Hampden next week! canna wait!

Jeid
22-Jun-09, 18:37
We have four of those.

us too!

(10 characters)

telfordstar
22-Jun-09, 22:12
Are we plugging Hampden here too!!!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jun-09, 22:23
Steely Dan this Friday at the Edinburgh Playhouse. Will they go down a treat? Or will they suck a big one, so to speak? Only time will tell...

Chobbersjnr
22-Jun-09, 23:48
Steely Dan this Friday at the Edinburgh Playhouse. Will they go down a treat? Or will they suck a big one, so to speak? Only time will tell...

hmmmmmm I started remembering DF's last solo venture "Morph the Cat" & there are some cheese moments in there

thinking about Steely without Steve Gadd or Larry Carlton or Skunk Baxter even. I'll stick to the albums methinks however Jeff Beck is playing in Glasgow I think on the 28th June??

ANYWAY how about the Voodoo Rooms (Edinburgh) this Wednesday

Acoustic Ladyland
James Brown is Annie
Newt

booyaa

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Jun-09, 20:03
Another shameless plug...

James Brown Is Annie (supporting John Mayall)
HMV Picture House, Edinburgh
Tue 30 June

http://www.mamagroup.co.uk/picturehouse/

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Jun-09, 06:18
For those o' you based in Glasgow... here's a clip of Derek Truck's band - whom James Brown Is Annie are supporting on July 15 at the ABC - that ought to give you a clear taster of what to expect.

note: the funk kicks in around the one-minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AkvIErWE8c

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Jun-09, 09:37
[QUOTE=Chobbersjnr;564508]hmmmmmm I started remembering DF's last solo venture "Morph the Cat" & there are some cheese moments in there

thinking about Steely without Steve Gadd or Larry Carlton or Skunk Baxter even. I'll stick to the albums methinks/QUOTE]

9.5/10 :)

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Jun-09, 18:20
The Pixies at the SECC in November...

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Jul-09, 11:31
Fantastic concert by The Shee in Edinburgh last night. They'll be coming to Caithness on September 5th.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh-reviews/-The-Shee-Edinburgh-Folk.5443447.jp

BigKev
09-Jul-09, 12:21
What does "James Brown is Annie" mean?

Just though i would throw it out there. . .

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Jul-09, 12:54
It's the name of an Eddie Murphy Saturday Night Live sketch. Hard to find on the net now, although the actual sketch involved Eddie dressing up as lil' orphan Annie singing The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow in a James Brown style. Hope the satisfies your curiosity.

BigKev
09-Jul-09, 13:08
Well done. . . . .

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Jul-09, 13:25
Thank you.

canuck
09-Jul-09, 22:10
It's the name of an Eddie Murphy Saturday Night Live sketch. Hard to find on the net now, although the actual sketch involved Eddie dressing up as lil' orphan Annie singing The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow in a James Brown style. Hope the satisfies your curiosity.

And, after an JBIA gig you go away feeling that indeed 'The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow'!

hotrod4
10-Jul-09, 07:55
So why not call yourselves "The pepsi challenge is annie"?
I can just see you singing the sun will come out tomorrow in a james brown stylee!!!:lol:

Kenneth
10-Jul-09, 12:00
THink myself and Scollay and Colin Manson will be playing at The Central next Thursday...will let you all know what time! Im sure you'll be dying to know!

DOC ROCK
10-Jul-09, 17:06
And, after an JBIA gig you go away feeling that indeed 'The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow'!

Yes Indeed!

BigKev
10-Jul-09, 23:58
A band in the central eh!?!

Must be a holiday!!

What kind of stuff are you guys doing?

Kenneth
11-Jul-09, 17:12
Ehh just our usual mix of indie rubbish which no-one in this forum like haha. But on the plus side we will have a new member! Colin Manson on the CAJON!!!! Which is quite a cool we instrument. Also we seem to attract only young, beautiful girls at these gigs but I guess if thats your scene you can come along. Not sure what time we will be on but I'll let you know! In fact it might be next Thursday. Meh.

celtic1888
12-Jul-09, 08:30
Sergeant!!.. Are playin in Wick.
13th August - Blackstairs - Limited Tickets - £14
14th August - Assembly Rooms - Tickets - £12

Olin
14-Jul-09, 14:49
Ehh just our usual mix of indie rubbish which no-one in this forum like haha. But on the plus side we will have a new member! Colin Manson on the CAJON!!!! Which is quite a cool we instrument. Also we seem to attract only young, beautiful girls at these gigs but I guess if thats your scene you can come along. Not sure what time we will be on but I'll let you know! In fact it might be next Thursday. Meh.

How come Kenneth Mcelroy gets shortened to Kenny
Graham/Graeme Scollay Gets Shortened To Scollay

But I am stuck with "Colin Manson" lmao!

Don't I get a cool nickname? lol

Also I am damn keen for this gig like!

What time is it on and what not Kenny?

BigKev
15-Jul-09, 12:27
Colin, i believe people refer to you as Monsoon do they not?

Thats a fine enough name!

Talking about upcoming gigs i hear theres a band playing on gala night in skinandis, anybody heard whos playing?

James Brown is Annie by any chance?

loganbiffy
15-Jul-09, 12:44
Talking about upcoming gigs i hear theres a band playing on gala night in skinandis, anybody heard whos playing?

I believe it is your new cover band Kev ;)

theboss
15-Jul-09, 14:19
I believe it is your new cover band Kev ;)

Surely you knew that Kev?

MusicWicker
15-Jul-09, 16:08
Theres a band playing in the Blackstairs this Saturday (18th) called

Be a Familiar

7 piece from Glasgow complete with Pianist, Trumpeter & Cello player!

Have a listen

http://www.myspace.com/beafamiliar (http://www.myspace.com/beafamiliar)

Starts at 9pm, support comes in the form of 'UltraViolet Pilot' , great young cover band from Wick.

Kenneth
15-Jul-09, 18:59
Alright folks

We've now changed our gig in The Central to next THursday (23rd)

Will let you know what time we are on

Kenny Scollay And....Colin Manson

haha

BigKev
16-Jul-09, 12:27
Cheers Boss, I was trying to keep an air of mystery about the whole thing.

You suck!!

Olin
16-Jul-09, 13:00
Alright folks

We've now changed our gig in The Central to next THursday (23rd)

Will let you know what time we are on

Kenny Scollay And....Colin Manson

haha

Right seriously you baboon!

"Colin Manson"

hahahah!

I thought yer had a band name? If not get one on the go and something a bit more creative than "The Indiens" cause that is Jerry Springer Cheesy lol

Canna wait for the gig tho!

Hope the new percussion is here!

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Aug-09, 16:29
Mair self-promotion...

JBiA
Ironworks, Inverness
Fri Sep 25

www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie

buddyrich
24-Aug-09, 21:52
Promise i'll try and make it down this time.

MusicWicker
24-Aug-09, 22:23
Hey, I know this is a bit against the grain for this thread, but heres some gigs thats on in CAITHNESS this next whilie :lol:

Blackstairs gigs

28 Aug 2009 JUDE
5 Sep 2009 Catching Amy
20 Sep 2009 Luke Plumb (Shooglenifty) & Peter Daffy (Funky String Band)
28 Sep 2009 Finley Quaye
4 Oct 2009 Chris Helme
31 Oct 2009 Cassidy

Also, Healthy Minds Collapse in Skinandis on Sep 5th - Brilliant Band

Gleber2
25-Aug-09, 02:18
Fats and Isaac are in the Mountain Dew on the 28th August.

DOC ROCK
25-Aug-09, 09:55
Diesel n Dust 28 th August Orkney TTT bike rally.

Kenneth
25-Aug-09, 11:21
The London Gentlemen on the 30th August at The Central Bar! 8pm til half 10

Day off for BT/Dounreay on the monday too!! Sesh on! :D

Jude
25-Aug-09, 14:19
I'll come and see you if you come and see me, Gleber!

Gleber2
25-Aug-09, 15:30
Done!!![evil]

buggyracer
28-Aug-09, 16:30
Prolific, live, Sat 29th August

Holborn 9:30pm til late

Blast!
28-Aug-09, 20:01
The London Gentlemen on the 30th August at The Central Bar! 8pm til half 10

Day off for BT/Dounreay on the monday too!! Sesh on! :D

Can you play a Creed cover please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2-eNnvo64M preferably.

Also, here's one of my all time favourite YouTube comments:

mrfourtysevenman (http://www.youtube.com/user/mrfourtysevenman) (1 hour ago)

it sounds like a baby bear trying to sing.
no offense.
it just kinda does doesn't it

ppllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaa aassssssssssssseeeeeeee

Gleber2
29-Aug-09, 13:58
Welsher!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenneth
29-Aug-09, 18:24
Well I was thinkin bout playing some Creed, Blaast, but I remember they were crap! So instead im going to play some Bryan Adams and Bon Jovi.

zappster
01-Sep-09, 17:59
Doon Major Playing the Back Bridge St Club This Sat 5th Sept...

Chobbersjnr
02-Sep-09, 17:11
Doon Major Playing the Back Bridge St Club This Sat 5th Sept...

HAHA quality name...........btw tell Thomas to watch out for really drunken members of the public trying to take his guitar off him. Then remind him about the Mountain Dew on Gala night past. LMAO

pesky Mackay :)

Chobbersjnr
02-Sep-09, 17:12

hmmmm we came, we saw, we ran (through really heavy rain).

we didn't see you though.

The Pepsi Challenge
02-Sep-09, 17:39
The Homecoming Suite
JBiA
Thurso Comm
Sat 26 Sep

www.myspace.com/jamesbrowniannie

Jude
02-Sep-09, 18:09
I know. I'm sorry.

Late start + sharp finish = Less time to crowd please and in turn lack of breaks. Sickner.

How was it?

zappster
02-Sep-09, 22:44
HAHA quality name...........btw tell Thomas to watch out for really drunken members of the public trying to take his guitar off him. Then remind him about the Mountain Dew on Gala night past. LMAO

pesky Mackay :)
Haha dinna think he'll remember that night in question!!

Olin
11-Sep-09, 14:08
The London Gentlemen will be appearing in The Newmarket bar on Sunday the 4th October at 8pm!

Banter? Yes!
Drink? YES!
Michelle Sutherland? Hope Not!
Kenneth? Sadly! lol

This show is being performed to promote awareness to the fact Kenneth now has his braces off!

(The London Gentlemen are: Graeme Scollay - Guitar and Vocals, Kenneth Mcelroy - Guitar and Vocals, Colin Manson - Cajon)

murraywebster
11-Sep-09, 18:47
Weekend Wars will be playing their 1st gig on Friday, 2nd of October from 9pm to 11pm in the Blackstairs.

We are currently working towards writing our own material, but for now we're just doing some covers. Influences include Kings of leon, Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian.

Hope you can come along for a listen :D

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Sep-09, 20:47
PiL are reforming for a tour in December, playing the O2 in Glasgow on December 18th. Managed to cadge an interview with John Lydon for this, too. Scary? Frying marshmallows is scarier.

moncur
13-Sep-09, 21:39
Bridge Pin (Calum & Richard from Empty Fortune with Ewan Barker on Drums & Vocals now)

Newmarket Bar
26th September 10pm til late

MusicWicker
13-Sep-09, 23:15
Blackstairs Lounge, Sunday 20th September

Luke Plumb
of
Shooglenifty

&

Peter Daffy
of
Funky String Band

"Luke Plumb, originally from Hobart and now international mandolin celebrity with the very wonderful Shooglenifty, is a fine tunesmith and astonishing instrumentalist. He had been playing traditional Celtic tunes in pub sessions in Australia when he received a challenge he couldn’t refuse. Shooglenifty was touring Down Under, and needed a replacement for its mandolinist, who’d recently left. Would he care to fill in for a few shows?

Luke is now the band's principal writer, but he likes to change the style a little every now and then with his old pal Peter Daffy. Peter is also a great player, and well known as a maker of very high quality guitars - and Luke's mandolins.

"Luke Plumb displays a blistering virtuisity ... he celebrates the musical ingenuity of the mandolin and the deep resonant poetry within traditional Irish and Scottish music." - Songlines magazine.

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Sep-09, 19:45
Edwyn Collins
Skinandis
Oct 15

!!!

johnny north
15-Sep-09, 21:10
Edwyn Collins
Skinandis
Oct 15

!!!

Seriously?

theboss
15-Sep-09, 23:27
Seriously?

Aye. Seriously!

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Sep-09, 00:37
Support at the Edwyn Collins gig, as far as am aware, comes from the 1990s.

Jeid
16-Sep-09, 00:54
Yep, sure is. Saw the poster tonight.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Sep-09, 02:28
Broken Records will be in town, too, soon - right?

zappster
16-Sep-09, 06:44
Edwyn Collins was in Wetherspoons Wick 2 weeks ago for a meal with his Family... Got a wee blether with him & his Wife...Real nice,Genuine people & got a photo with him (the photos on his site with me & ma youngest!)...Glad to see he's on the road to recovery!

On Another note
Doon Major will be playing the Newmarket Thurso on 3rd Oct
Then
Staxigoe Hall??10th Oct
www.bebo.com/DoonMajor

theboss
16-Sep-09, 08:00

Aye, tickets and posters arrived yesterday. I'll put details up asap.

Kenneth
16-Sep-09, 08:44
Edwyn Collins
Skinandis
Oct 15

!!!

WOW

May have to take a wee dander down to Skins then!

buddyrich
17-Sep-09, 23:46
Bingo! I will be there.

Altogether now............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............How much are the tickets??????????????????????????????????

buddyrich
17-Sep-09, 23:52
PiL are reforming for a tour in December, playing the O2 in Glasgow on December 18th. Managed to cadge an interview with John Lydon for this, too. Scary? Frying marshmallows is scarier.

Ask him about butter.

No Wobble or Levene though. Shame.

Jeid
18-Sep-09, 00:25
£15 for Edwyn Collins I believe

WeeRob
20-Sep-09, 23:45
He's also playing Helmsdale! Hometown shown fur the Helmie loon.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Sep-09, 16:29
Second-last shout out for JBiA @ Comm this Saturday, and, if you're in Inverness the day before, The Ironworks.

chimo
21-Sep-09, 17:17
Ocean Colour Scene playing in the Assembly Rooms on 13 Feb, good work!!! Was posted on their site today. Tickets on sale from Friday:

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Ocean-Colour-Scene-tickets/artist/970348

PartChimp
21-Sep-09, 17:45
£28.50 a ticket!! :eek:

Bit steep IMO!

moncur
21-Sep-09, 19:00

Bit steep IMO!

maybe compared to gigs down the line, but this gig's only a short bus journey away.

But how often do people spend 15-20 quid on a ticket for a popular band, take two days annual leave, spend another £50+ to take an 8 hour train journey to Glasgow or Edinburgh and then spend another wad of cash sleeping in a travelodge or kippin on a mates floor just to see one band then do that 8 hour journey back home?

I seen them a couple of years ago at TITP and they were very good IMHO.

Also, people say that popular bands never make the effort to come up north, and if they do then its to play Orkney and they usually ignore Caithness. This band chooses to make an effort and play a gig in caithness, would it be fair to moan about paying an extra 10 or 15 quid?

Sorry if I sound like a gurn but I think its a bargain, especially for a Saturday night when most people wouldnt think twice about payin £8 just to enter a nightclub.

Douglas Cowie
21-Sep-09, 19:25
Saw them at Belladrum a couple of monthe ago, well worth the money believe me, quality band on your doorstep for £28.50, start moaning about that and you don't deserve it.

Blast!
21-Sep-09, 19:38

Bit steep IMO!

Agreed.

Absolute rip off for a bunch of has-beens.

Douglas Cowie
21-Sep-09, 20:34
Agreed.

Absolute rip off for a bunch of has-beens.

I give up, we really don't deserve any bands in Caithness.
Anyone in bands from the South having a look at this forum must think why bother coming here.
They make jokes about Aberdonians being mean, Caithness is in a class of it's own!

MusicWicker
21-Sep-09, 21:21
Jesus, will you lot stop whining. If you dont like the ticket price don't buy one.

The ticket price is in direct relation to the fee the band charge. I have a low capacity to work with so thats the price. Again, it's £28.50 or no gig.

I think you lot believe these bands come up here to play for a couple of pints and a bag of crisps

zappster
22-Sep-09, 06:38
Well done Music Wicker for getting all these Bands up to Wick lately!
You've done more in the last few months to get NAMES THAT ARE RECOGNISABLE up ,than anyone else in the last 15 -20 years & i applaud you..
Those who complain about the ticket prices ...Take a look at what Moncur said & think before you rant...

loganbiffy
22-Sep-09, 15:54
I think it's a fair price for Ocean Colour Scene. It's probably about £30 - £35 to see them down in say Glasgow anyway. And let's not forget how big this band used to be.

They have some great songs and I'm sure it will be an excellent night! :)

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Sep-09, 16:13

Bit steep IMO!

You can check the prices here.

http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user?query=search&category=misc&search=ocean+colour+scene&region=xxx&beginmonth=09&beginday=21&beginyear=2009&referral_id=featured_home_onsale

Credit to Wickerman for getting the band this far north. After all, when's the last time a band who count eleven Top 20 Singles to their credit, came this far north. Hats off to you, sir.

Jeid
22-Sep-09, 16:30
Pretty reasonable considering how far north we are, especially compared to the tickets based further afield.

buddyrich
23-Sep-09, 10:31
Second-last shout out for JBiA @ Comm this Saturday, and, if you're in Inverness the day before, The Ironworks.

Hell yes i will be there.

Should i bring a bass guitar? :lol:

buggyracer
25-Sep-09, 12:47
Frayed Edges, @ Holborn Bar this Sat night (26th) :cool:

Kenneth
28-Sep-09, 01:59
Looked like a busy week for Caithness bands last weekend! Unfortunately I was working and could not sample all their delights. However I was entertained by the grand Diesel & Dust, who played "Down on the Corner" so I really can't complain. And also Turning Japanese! Didnt see that one coming! Anyway well done boys

Popped into the Newmarket for 2mins before I began work in Skins (where the music wasnt so grand...apart from an Edwyn Collins tune!!) and they sounded good! Would have liked to have seen more of them!

Probably would have poked my heid in the Comm if I had the chance to see JBIA but maybe another time!

Anyhoo, enough gibber jabber, lets get down to business. The London Gentlemen are playing from 8pm on October 4th, at the Newmarket - a fact which I will be reminding you of more and more in the coming days.

We are composed of one singer with good hair and even better guitar skills (no, wait, actually, his hair is better), a genuinely talented drummer turned cajonist and myself!

Pop down if you fancy listening to some indie tunes and the like. Also good banter and booze. A perfect recipe for a well deserved Monday hangover!

Jeid
28-Sep-09, 08:02
Astronot are playing Mad Hatters on December 17th

loganbiffy
28-Sep-09, 09:42
Astronot are playing Mad Hatters on December 17th

Might see if I can make it down to this like :)

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Sep-09, 14:19
Five bands in Thurso playing on the same night? Been a long, long time since that happened. All bodes well, though.

theboss
28-Sep-09, 14:20

Same here.

guitarzan
28-Sep-09, 15:26
I was in past the Comm and the Newmarket and both seemed to have a strong crowd and the bands were in good form.

I did nip in by TJ's and the Holborn as well but those bands must have been on a break...

Jeid
28-Sep-09, 15:34

like theboss, and Imma let you finish n all, but I think I'll try and make this too

loganbiffy
28-Sep-09, 16:27
like theboss, and Imma let you finish n all, but I think I'll try and make this too

Awesome, only 2 members left to make the trip down then. Wonder if they will make it?......

Jeid
28-Sep-09, 16:29
As far as I know, they don't know it's happening.

buddyrich
29-Sep-09, 13:17
How did JBIA get on? I was going to come down and claim my place with my former colleagues but i faffed about a fair bit and then ye gods it was 2am and i still hadnt left the house.

Cazart!

murraywebster
01-Oct-09, 19:25
Weekend wars will be playing tomorrow night between 9 and 11pm in the blackstairs. Currently doing covers but working towards writing our own songs. Influences include kings of leon, kasabian, arctic monkeys and oasis so come along and support the young, local bands :D

-Sarah-
03-Oct-09, 11:34

Any further word on this? Have caught Broken Records a few times and are excellent, folk would love them up here.

Jeid
03-Oct-09, 13:01
Yeah, it's advertised on the Skins website if I recall correctly

zappster
04-Oct-09, 17:29
Thanks to all the folks that came along to Doon Major last night at the Newmarket...twas a hoot!

guitarzan
05-Oct-09, 00:59
Many thanks to all who came along for our gig in the Newmarket tonight - very good craic!!

Especially the hour long improvised jam at the end - cheers Jeid, Marc, Sas, John Scollay, the boys and whoever else got involved! haha

Jeid
05-Oct-09, 01:26
aha! Makes a lot more sense now!

murraywebster
05-Oct-09, 11:55
cheers to all who came along to the blackstairs on friday night to support Weekend Wars! hopefully the 1st of many gigs to come :P

Jude
05-Oct-09, 19:38
cheers to all who came along to the blackstairs on friday night to support Weekend Wars! hopefully the 1st of many gigs to come :P

Hope it went well, Troops.

Darren

Kenneth
07-Oct-09, 13:05
Weekend Wars! Great name! U boys shud get a gig in Thurso as id love to come and see u biys

foreveruntitled
07-Oct-09, 20:03
Weekend Wars! Great name! U boys shud get a gig in Thurso as id love to come and see u biys

You do know that Wick is about 18 miles from Thurso? Is that too far for you to travel?

Kenneth
08-Oct-09, 02:25
You do know that Wick is about 18 miles from Thurso? Is that too far for you to travel?

I can't drive and I work Saturdays in the central/top joes! its difficult to get off as i have already booked off 2 consecutive saturdays in october for our own gigs! So, in answer to your question, no, actually, its not too far, but if i could i would!

Olin
08-Oct-09, 10:25
Hey there thanks to all who attended our recent gig in the Newie! Ace night and the sing along that was just getting going when I left was "effing" amazing! Thanks again!

Just to let you know that we have the following dates comin up:

The Blackstairs Lounge - 17th October - 9pm
The Holborn Bar - 24th October 9.30pm

Over 18's Only!

We now have a very basic website up that we are hoping to add more pics and various other sections to very very soon!

Check it out at:

www.thelondongentlemen.co.uk

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Oct-09, 10:15
Probably mentioned this a hundred times before, but...

James Brown Is Annie support Paul (Barrere) & Fred (Tackett) of Little Feat at the Renfrew Ferry in November. This is an acoustic show for Paul & Fred, but we'll be their backing band for the last song of the evening, the great Dixie Chicken. We'll also be playing during the afternoon session, as well, so if any org-related weegies are kicking about, send me a PM and I'll try stick you doon on the guestie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek_L6JqJh_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehyju7UU3gs

James Brown Is Annie (supp. Paul & Fred)
Renfrew Ferry, Glasgow
Sunday 22 November
7pm
£15 in advance (£17 on the night)

www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie
www.paulandfred.com

buggyracer
24-Oct-09, 09:31
The london gentlemen
live 9:30-late
the holborn
sat 24th oct

murraywebster
01-Nov-09, 23:06
Weekend Wars will be playing in the holborn this saturday night at about 9:30pm! Hope to see you there :D

Blast!
18-Nov-09, 14:52
Anymore gigs coming up?

Jude
18-Nov-09, 15:39
JUDE

12th December - J.D Wetherspoons, Wick

19th December - Blackstairs Lounge, Wick

MusicWicker
19-Nov-09, 19:58
Ah hope you've been practising your Noddy Holder classics Coghill!

guitarzan
23-Nov-09, 13:10
A wee impromptu gig coming up!

The London Gentlemen

Friday 27th November (this Friday), Central Bar, Thurso

theboss
23-Nov-09, 14:30
Shell suits, Naff Naff jackets and Hypercolour t-shirts at the ready folks...

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hxyrf8.jpg

Jude
24-Nov-09, 14:12
Ah hope you've been practising your Noddy Holder classics Coghill!

I've been practicin' them all year in anticipation.

zappster
03-Dec-09, 13:30
Doon Major will be Playing Wetherspoons This Sat 5th Dec 10pm ...Then ....
The Newmarket Fri 11th Dec 10pm ... come along a look

zappster
06-Dec-09, 11:56
Cheers to all the folks that came along to the Doon Major gig in spoons last night... apart fae the technical difficulties ( worst of which was my hangover i was suffering!) It was a fun night!

buggyracer
08-Dec-09, 19:49
The superb Diesel and Dust this Friday, Holborn hotel 9:30pm-late. :D

zappster
10-Dec-09, 17:23
Doon Major will be playing the Newmarket Tomorrow night (10th Dec) 10pm till late... should be a fun night in Thurso what with Diesel & Dust playing The Holborn as well!

guitarzan
10-Dec-09, 20:55
Aye, rumour has it there is a lot of musical entertainment on tomorrow Zappster!

You loons are playing in the Newmarket, Diesel and Dust in The Holborn, a number of acts are playing in Y-Not at a Christmas Open Mic Night and I also heard Vikki Macleod is in The Comm (not sure if that is right or not though...)

We're playing in Y-Not but it's only a short set so will be over to see what the craic is in The Newmarket efter!

zappster
10-Dec-09, 21:16
Nice one loon... when ye come in,You can take over fae me & i'll go see Diesel & dust!!haha

zappster
12-Dec-09, 14:53
Cheers to all the folks that came to Doon Major in the Newmarket last night...'Twas a blast!

buggyracer
16-Dec-09, 16:35
The superb J.Fats band, will be playing in the Holborn Hotel
Boxing Day Sat 26th Dec :cool: :cool:

MusicWicker
16-Dec-09, 17:54
JUDE play the Blackstairs Lounge on Sat 19th December

TORRIDON on the 30th December

The Pepsi Challenge
31-Mar-10, 11:16
Playing The Holburn on Saturday the 10th of April... James Brown Is Annie.

Featuring Marc "the Dalry Llama" Mowbray on guitar, Nice Guy Eddie on keyboard, Mr. Isaac Sutherland on the Purdie Shuffle, and yours truly on public saxophone, if groove-based tunes in a 4/4 time is your thing, do come along. Free drumstick sweeties to all who can guess Marc's weight.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2754/annielogo.jpg (http://img29.imageshack.us/i/annielogo.jpg/)

Olin
31-Mar-10, 12:46
http://failedthehero.co.uk/idea3.jpg

These gigs are free of charge and because one of them is on Easter Sunday i.e. No Work on Monday I think it's the perfect excuse for a "Sesh" lol

Olin
31-Mar-10, 12:49
In case people don't know yet The London Gentlemen are:

Graeme Scollay - Vocals and Guitar
Colin Manson - Cajon/Drums
Kenneth "Tinge of Ginge" Mcelroy - Vocals and Guitar

(Kenneth is also the host of Caithness FM's Tunes Til Ten Wi' Drew And Ken)

So for that reason alone you should probably make an appearance! lol

zappster
02-Apr-10, 21:28
Doon Major will be playing Wetherspoons Wick Tomorrow Night (Sat 2nd)... YET AGAIN Only as a 4 Piece! (Though we are still a 5 Piece the other Geetarist(me!) has a wedding to attend!)

chimo
07-Apr-10, 15:18
Glasgow band Hip Parade are going to be playing Skinandis on Sat 29th May. They supported the Stereophonics last month, but this will be a step up for them!

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Apr-10, 17:56
Delighted to announce that James Brown Is Annie will be supporting American music legends, and good friends, Little Feat, when they come to the HMV Picture House in Edinburgh on Sunday 15 August. If anyone from the county is in the Capital at that time, get in touch. Hoy! Hoy!

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3830/hmvpichos.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/i/hmvpichos.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The Pepsi Challenge
02-May-10, 04:40
Granted, it's another excuse to mention the gig; regardless, it's still a pretty cool way of seeing exactly where you'll be playing. Check it.

http://www.mamagroup.co.uk/picturehouse/content/tourfiles/virtual_tour.html

zebedy
03-May-10, 17:44
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/Zebedy00/HailOnTheRoad-skindandis1505.jpg

theboss
20-May-10, 09:41
http://i47.tinypic.com/4v5njc.jpg

The Pepsi Challenge
23-May-10, 16:09
James Brown Is Annie (or, The Isaac Sutherland Allstars) will be headlining The Potting Shed (Belladrum Festival) on Friday 6th August at 10pm.

Blast!
23-May-10, 20:23
The Potting Shed

Some waft off the clay last year!

:)

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Jun-10, 13:42
JBiA @ The Insider Festival in Cairngorm Mountain Park next weekend (Saturday 19th June, 6.30pm). Failing that, come see us headline the Potting Shed at Belladrum on August 6th.

www.insider2010.com

Astronot
10-Jun-10, 12:01
Astronot are in the City Bar, Inverness tonight from 7:45 to 8:15 as part of GoNorth.

Alright!

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Jun-10, 16:56
GoSouth surely, no?