PDA

View Full Version : Back Scratching/cheating

Mrs Bucket
09-Jun-09, 21:12
Tonight I witnessed what in my opinion can only be described as blatant back scratching. It involved a children's competion. There was obvious collaboration between the male judge and a tutor of some of the competitors. The judge's decision is final he tried so hard to justify himself but it is so unfair not only on the unsuccessful competitors but the winners who get the impression they are better than they really are. But thats life. I dont think it was the children it was about. Has anyone else come across this sort of behaviour?

skinnydog
09-Jun-09, 21:37
Not directly I havent but I must admit that Rosie (3 at the time) entered stuff in the County Show childrens section and oh my god you could tell that a 3 year old had done it herself, although she was very proud of sticking some weeds into her wellies. Well when I went to put her entries in I was more than gobsmacked by what met me. Looked like professional florists had been in before me. That kind of shocked me as it was titled "childrens section" so my dilema this year is do I let her lash on again and do it herself or do I do it and pass it off as hers.

By the way - she did get a second prize but it must have been out of pity more than anything else and that was just for a pear with 2 cloves stuck in it to look like a mouse!

joxville
09-Jun-09, 21:45
It's good grounding for what life has in store for them. As much as I'm a firm believer in fair play, unfortunately no matter how good you are, there is always someone willing to use some influence or take a short cut to get what they want. [disgust]

Invisible
09-Jun-09, 21:49
I've had experience of this but it was when the judge knew the tutor but i dont believe the decision was influenced at all. The problem is you cant really complain or youll appear a bad loser.

joxville
09-Jun-09, 21:52
It's just like the Org's Sunday night quiz....too much favouritism going on there too. ;):cool:

golach
09-Jun-09, 21:53
It's just like the Org's Sunday night quiz....too much favouritism going on there too. ;):cool:
Naw Jox, only when one Quizzie runs it [lol]

joxville
09-Jun-09, 21:58
Naw Jox, only when one Quizzie runs it [lol]

Here's an 'i' for you Gol, you forgot to add it to the word 'runs'! [lol]

mushroom
09-Jun-09, 22:12
why do the judges at the towns gala take the names of each child before the parade and announcing the winner? i remember one year they called the winner of the younger section and said "this family have supported the gala for years" surely you chose the winner THEN ask their name. that was the last year that i entered my child, what is the point going to all the effort of dressing up your child when it is a forgone conclusion.

Moira
09-Jun-09, 22:38
Tonight I witnessed what in my opinion can only be described as blatant back scratching. It involved a children's competion. There was obvious collaboration between the male judge and a tutor of some of the competitors. The judge's decision is final he tried so hard to justify himself but it is so unfair not only on the unsuccessful competitors but the winners who get the impression they are better than they really are. But thats life. I dont think it was the children it was about. Has anyone else come across this sort of behaviour?

I have no idea what you are on about :confused

Present the bare facts before us as in :-
Criteria for entering
Venue
Entrants
Judges
Results

Hibeechick
10-Jun-09, 08:49
Not directly I havent but I must admit that Rosie (3 at the time) entered stuff in the County Show childrens section and oh my god you could tell that a 3 year old had done it herself, although she was very proud of sticking some weeds into her wellies. Well when I went to put her entries in I was more than gobsmacked by what met me. Looked like professional florists had been in before me. That kind of shocked me as it was titled "childrens section" so my dilema this year is do I let her lash on again and do it herself or do I do it and pass it off as hers.

By the way - she did get a second prize but it must have been out of pity more than anything else and that was just for a pear with 2 cloves stuck in it to look like a mouse!

Please, please please, from a florists opinion and point of view, continue to let Rosie do her own. Encourage her to be creative and have fun. If you want to know more about the rules of how something should be arranged please ask :) I cant speak on behalf of any judges etc, but I know from judging at things myself that if I come across something that im pretty sure hasn't been done by the kid, I have the right to disqualify or at least not place that particular arrangement.

jings00
10-Jun-09, 09:01
Please, please please, (from a florists opinion and point of view), continue to let Rosie do her own. Encourage her to be creative and have fun. ....................

yip, i agree...let the bairn keep doin it herself....part of the fun, gettin in about

Lingland
10-Jun-09, 09:10

He who cheats acknowdedges that he is afraid of the opposition

vanman
10-Jun-09, 09:43
The judging at shows really annoys me[evil]
If we can all see that half the entries are obviously done by adults why cant they! I did actually say this to the judges last year but they refused to answer me.
At our local show its the same child that wins every year everyone knows she doesnt do the items herself & even the other children she goes to school with point out her work at school is nothing like what she enters. Her parents arent doing the child any favours all they are teaching her is how to cheat!!

Mrs Bucket
10-Jun-09, 13:43
I have no idea what you are on about :confused

Present the bare facts before us as in :-
Criteria for entering
Venue
Entrants
Judges
Results
Why? It would not serve any useful purpose those concerned are aware of the situation. As I have stated (it is my opinion) also (the judges decision is final)

Mrs Bucket
10-Jun-09, 13:46
The judging at shows really annoys me[evil]
If we can all see that half the entries are obviously done by adults why cant they! I did actually say this to the judges last year but they refused to answer me.
At our local show its the same child that wins every year everyone knows she doesnt do the items herself & even the other children she goes to school with point out her work at school is nothing like what she enters. Her parents arent doing the child any favours all they are teaching her is how to cheat!!
I agree and so it goes on into the next generation. And sadly it appears to happen in all areas of life even in the highset offices in politics.

joxville
10-Jun-09, 13:53
I agree and so it goes on into the next generation. And sadly it appears to happen in all areas of life even in the highset offices in politics.

To paraphrase Mr Armstrong: It's one small leap from the sack race then one giant leap from the sack.[lol]