PDA

View Full Version : One Penny Charge!!!

Fran
09-Jun-09, 01:11
I picked up a leaflet in Tesco, a 2 page leaflet for beds and sofas and put it in with my shopping. got home to find out it was out of date - it was easter offers, but i was really annoyed to discover that I had been charged 1p at the till for the "flyer". Beware what you pick up in Tesco!!!

joxville
09-Jun-09, 07:22
Take it back and ask for refund.

grumpy1
09-Jun-09, 08:53
I picked up a leaflet in Tesco, a 2 page leaflet for beds and sofas and put it in with my shopping. got home to find out it was out of date - it was easter offers, but i was really annoyed to discover that I had been charged 1p at the till for the "flyer". Beware what you pick up in Tesco!!!

thats not so good...especially as they not supposed to scan the flyers.. which tesco was it just out of nosieness

Macwull
09-Jun-09, 12:27
OH used to work in tesco and she said that it comes up as a penny on till receipt but gets removed at bottom on savings. They scan it to keep rack of how many have been given out etc...

If it didnt come off she reckons it was a till malfunction.

Connor.
09-Jun-09, 13:30
1 pence...?

DarkAngel
09-Jun-09, 16:15
....Since Your On The Subject Of 1 Pences...
They Charge 1p For A Bag In Superdrug Now!!

Matthew
09-Jun-09, 16:18
Why would the flyer have a barcode on it? If it doesnt, then it definately wasnt theflyer. Did you buy a newspaper and get a free DVD with it? That is probably why. In tesco we have to scanthe paper and the dvd so we keep track of how many DVD's we have given out (just like macwull said). And the 1pence is deducted at the end.

AfternoonDelight
09-Jun-09, 16:58
Shoot me - shoot me now... :confused

Invisible
09-Jun-09, 20:32
If you had just put that leaflet in your pocket decided to walk out the shop would that be classed as stealing, once more would the security alarm go of?:confused

telfordstar
09-Jun-09, 21:54

I noticed that as well i had a crap load of stuff so had no option but to pay 1p for my bag!!!!

Fran
09-Jun-09, 23:53
It was wick Tesco, the out of date advertising leaflet was not scan coded sand i was charged 1p for "flyer" and there was no 1p refund at the end of my till receipt. will ask about it when i go to Tesco tomorrow.

Ajax
14-Jun-09, 15:01
hi i know its only 1p but you are right i also got charged1p as i bought a good few items total was 12.77 i dont think that this is right if every one got charged1p day in day out i bet it would amount up

forevera123
17-Jun-09, 01:49
Take it back and ask for refund.
can't be right enough!

forevera123
17-Jun-09, 01:51
i will go to tesco to pick thousands of flyers and sell them back to the cashiers there for 2 for 1p

forevera123
17-Jun-09, 01:57
It was wick Tesco, the out of date advertising leaflet was not scan coded sand i was charged 1p for "flyer" and there was no 1p refund at the end of my till receipt. will ask about it when i go to Tesco tomorrow.
did they refund you 1p for the outdated flyer, Fran? i hope the person you talked to in tesco, didn't laugh at you. it is not about 1p, it is about them doing something that they not supposed to.

AfternoonDelight
17-Jun-09, 12:08
hi i know its only 1p but you are right i also got charged1p as i bought a good few items total was 12.77 i dont think that this is right if every one got charged1p day in day out i bet it would amount up

The reason they charge you 1p for a bag is to try and encourage you to recycle the ones you already have or to use a bag for life, reducing the amount that go to landfill every year.

I wish all companies did this - it might make people think of what they are doing.

Why do you think you have the right to a free carrier bag anyway? If the companies involved put all the money made from this practice to an environmental charity would you have such a gripe then?

grumpy1
17-Jun-09, 16:56
The reason they charge you 1p for a bag is to try and encourage you to recycle the ones you already have or to use a bag for life, reducing the amount that go to landfill every year.

I wish all companies did this - it might make people think of what they are doing.

Why do you think you have the right to a free carrier bag anyway? If the companies involved put all the money made from this practice to an environmental charity would you have such a gripe then?

back in the day (showing my age now)..everyone charged for carriers and it was the norm... i dont see what the big deal is lidl charge for them an people accept this...i totally agree with you

poppett
17-Jun-09, 17:19
The free carrier bag is just a form of advertising for the company. Some years ago in an M&S store the cashier remarked "three pence for the carrier bag" as she rang up the total amount. Although the goods were already in said bag I delayed paying her until they were removed and the bag turned inside out so it did not show their advertising logo. Bag was repacked, money changed hands, much to the amusement of the queue. Whilst I did not object to paying for the carrier bag I strongly objected to being a free advertisement board for the company.

Alice in Blunderland
17-Jun-09, 17:33
If the companies involved put all the money made from this practice to an environmental charity would you have such a gripe then?

And IF these companies did donate all the money made into charity I'll dance naked at the trinkie on a sunny warm day in the middle of winter.

And Jox no peeking :eek: It wont be pretty sight.

joxville
17-Jun-09, 18:30
As if I would!! [disgust]

Well, maybe just a quick look. :cool:

Alice in Blunderland
17-Jun-09, 19:03
As if I would!!
Well, maybe just a quick look. :cool:

Mind now one look and youll be turned to stone.................. [lol]

Imagine a stoned Jox :eek:

Fran
18-Jun-09, 01:19

It is not about carrier bags, it is about being charged 1p for an outdated leaflet about things they sell!

Fran
18-Jun-09, 01:20
Why would the flyer have a barcode on it? If it doesnt, then it definately wasnt theflyer. Did you buy a newspaper and get a free DVD with it? That is probably why. In tesco we have to scanthe paper and the dvd so we keep track of how many DVD's we have given out (just like macwull said). And the 1pence is deducted at the end.

No i didnt buy a paper, it was a leaflet, theres a whole pile of them re easter bargains of furniture etc.

joxville
18-Jun-09, 01:44
So why take a leaflet...remind me when Easter is? :confused

[lol]

luke83
18-Jun-09, 10:45
In response to the carrier bag charging posts, Superdrug will be donating 50% of the proceeds from the sale of carrier bags to the Teenage Cancer Trust (www.teenagecancertrust.org), who are one of our charity partners this year, the other 50% presumably going to cover the cost of the bag. As for a more sustainable option, Bags for Life will be available towards the end of the summer, exact date unknown!

George Brims
18-Jun-09, 19:38
1 pence...?

No, one penny.

joxville
18-Jun-09, 21:21

It probably cost you more than 1p to start this thread. :roll: [lol]

forevera123
19-Jun-09, 19:20
It probably cost you more than 1p to start this thread. :roll: [lol]
i guessed fran talking here about things fran has been treated unreasonabely,but not about 1p?

Fran
20-Jun-09, 02:48
Over 1,500 people have read this, so hopefully they wont pick up the leaflet and have to pay for it!!!!

hotrod4
21-Jun-09, 07:03
OMG whatever next?
A whole 1p, theres bairns starving in the world and we're dicussing 1p,what a crazy world we live in!!!!:eek:

Venture
21-Jun-09, 09:23
OMG whatever next?
A whole 1p, theres bairns starving in the world and we're dicussing 1p,what a crazy world we live in!!!!:eek:

Ah but lots of pennies make pounds hotrod.[lol]

AfternoonDelight
23-Jun-09, 17:41
It is not about carrier bags, it is about being charged 1p for an outdated leaflet about things they sell!

I think you'll find I was replying to the post about carrier bags, therefore it is.

AfternoonDelight
23-Jun-09, 17:42
In response to the carrier bag charging posts, Superdrug will be donating 50% of the proceeds from the sale of carrier bags to the Teenage Cancer Trust (www.teenagecancertrust.org (http://www.teenagecancertrust.org)), who are one of our charity partners this year, the other 50% presumably going to cover the cost of the bag. As for a more sustainable option, Bags for Life will be available towards the end of the summer, exact date unknown!

Nice one, Luke83 - a resposible company with a sensible policy towards carrier bags. Just make sure you don't have any out of date leaflets lying around the store now...