PDA

View Full Version : heating

brandy
12-Mar-06, 15:32
hiya guys..
just looking for advice here
we are looking to put new heating in the near future
we have about a 30 year old boiler and furnace..
so def time to update!
as transco has told us that at teh moment they still have parts but once they are gone they are gone.
its vents in the walls right now.. and one of the bedrooms and bathroom has no heat..
there is a tank in the attic.. and we have zip hot water pressure
so looking for something that will keep the house toasty and give us decent water pressure!
any ideas on where to enquire and how much it usually costs..
looking fowards to some ideas! THANKS

2little2late
12-Mar-06, 15:35
Why don't you wait and get the new community heating fitted?

brandy
12-Mar-06, 16:05
looking into it as well.. but looking for dif options before we make up our minds. we have a gas hob as well as gas heat so want to look at other options before we make a choice.

ice box
12-Mar-06, 16:24
brandy have you tried getting in touch with some plumer the might have a better idea of what best for u my mate got oil installed and he said it brillant and price is not bad .

gleeber
12-Mar-06, 16:46
Hi Brandy. Ice box is almost right. Get in touch with as many plumbers as possible, tell them what your needs are, and get as many detailed estimates as you can.
Low water pressure could lower your options. You will need to talk to the water board about that. They are committed by law to supply you with a minimun water pressure.

brandy
12-Mar-06, 16:58
hmm i didnt know that..
it takes about 10-15 min to run a hot bath.. great cold water pressure but pittiful hot water pressure

landmarker
12-Mar-06, 18:48
We have gas warm air. Not everyone's cup of tea but after thirty years we have discounted the slightly noisy aspect and the sound emitted ceased to be intrusive about twenty nine years ago! This is our second system, and it's three years old. It's very fast to warm up the house, and very responsive. Economic to run to, and no worrying about placing of clumsy radiators.

No real downside apart from having to have vents (small) fitted to outside doors.

Johnson & Starley are the manufacturing bods to look for.

Whitewater
12-Mar-06, 19:39
We are onto our second system as well, now using oil, our original system was solid fuel but it got fairly costly. Oil is now beginning to get costly, but it is still well below solid fuel costs.

We are also getting interested in the new community system which is coming into the town, but since this system was mentioned wood chipping have increased in price from £10 to £40 per ton. It does not bode well if costs continue to escalate in this manner.

We have now more than paid for the installation cost of the oil on what we saved from the cost of the solid fuel. The installation cost of the community system would be a factor as well as the running cost.

gleeber
12-Mar-06, 19:43
hmm i didnt know that..
it takes about 10-15 min to run a hot bath.. great cold water pressure but pittiful hot water pressure
Water pressure comes from the cold water mains. As its the hot water you are having a problem with thats an internal matter and should be easy enough to solve.
Go through the local plumbers and ask all of them for a quote. Thurso plumbers too. Estimates are free.

Gus
13-Mar-06, 11:25
Hi Brandy,

Have you thought about running your water and heating off a gas combi-boiler?

That would give you intsant hot water when you turn on the tap, and you can run your heating off a thermostat by turning it on or off, depending on how cold you are - rather than use a timer.

The possible downsides from this system might be that the water for your bath gets colder the longer you keep it running - that is, if your heating's on at the same time. But: seemingly the newer the model of combi-boiler and the better the model, the less this happens. There are people who swear by it and those who swear at it, and I think you gets what you pays for.

We saved and, after six months of thinking about it, just got an oil condensing combi-boiler installed last week. Oodles of hot water (what a luxury) and the best showers ever after the dribble we had before.

I will admit that the heating-valve isn't turned on yet (old house, oldish pipes, 3 leaks on Friday at 5pm - now fixed) but we have high hopes. We've saved 11 1/2 hours of hot water heating already by virtue of not having it on a timer, and have continued to heat the rooms with a coal/log fire (much adored for aesthetic, cosy properties anyway).

What everyone else has said about talking to plumbers - if you know of any who won't try and sell you the thing they get the biggest commission on, you have nothing to lose. There's always the internet...

http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/Mains_Pressure_Hot_Water_Systems.htm

might help!

ice box
13-Mar-06, 20:33
Does anyone know who got the contract for installing the heating i heard it was gmr henderson but then heard it was mmm. miller have they started it yet ?

krieve
13-Mar-06, 21:03
Does anyone know who got the contract for installing the heating i heard it was gmr henderson but then heard it was mmm. miller have they started it yet ?
I had heard it was gmr Henderson there are portacabins beside the distillery

Fran
14-Mar-06, 01:08
Gas central heating, quick, efficient and not too costly. also the small halogen heaters are very cheap to run when you dont have the central heating on.:lol: