PDA

View Full Version : Which class do you belong to?

crayola
08-Jun-09, 09:43
We've read a lot of post about 'ordinary people'. What does that mean? The working class? People on the minimum or thereabouts? people who do manual labour?

We've also read about ordinary people voting for parties they wouldn't normally vote for, like traditional Labour voters voting for the BNP or UKIP or in Scotland for the SNP.

What do you mean when you say 'ordinary people' and which class do you consider yourself to belong to?

The classifications in the poll above are fairly arbitrary and you may not agree with my rushed descriptions. Please correct my poor compehension of the class structure if necessary. In particular, by 'run own business' I meant 'run own large business'.

Oops, I made a worse mistake in the poll.

Upper middle class, well paid, professional qualifications, run own business

should have been

Middle class, well paid, professional qualifications, run own business

Never mind, the descriptions of what it was supposed to mean are more meaningful anyways.

golach
08-Jun-09, 09:57
Why should we take part in this yet again another "crayola poll"? I do not like being pigeon holed by anyone.[disgust]

Oddquine
08-Jun-09, 10:07
I'm afraid I think there are only two classes................working class and the rest...............i e those who do not do work for their income.

tonkatojo
08-Jun-09, 10:15
I voted working class skilled but alas am long term sick, I wonder why crayola who says she is well off in other threads has not voted in her own poll, is it because she is a little economic with the truth or what ?.

well it looks like someone has voted for her now, one in the rich lot (middle class), but was it her voting late I wonder.

Gizmo
08-Jun-09, 10:23
Since leaving school in 87, and until 18 months ago i was 'Working class unskilled' (does a driving license not count as a skill though?), i'm currently unemployed but aiming for 'Working class skilled' in the near future.

So what are you Crayola??

crayola
08-Jun-09, 10:29
I'm the one I messed up in the poll. :o

I don't think I'm quite the proper upper middle class because I'm still a wee minx. ;)

crayola
08-Jun-09, 10:31
I voted working class skilled but alas am long term sick, I wonder why crayolla who says she is well off in other threads has not voted in her own poll, is it because she is a little economic with the truth or what ?.No, it's because the cleaner arrived just as I was finishing the poll and messing up the options.

tonkatojo
08-Jun-09, 10:35
No, it's because the cleaner arrived just as I was finishing the poll and messing up the options.

yeah I believe you. ;)

perhaps you are seeing as it can only be a boss that would have so much time to reply to as many threads during the working hours, or on the other hand are you still being economical. ?

Sporran
08-Jun-09, 10:38
I'm in a class of my own! ;)

crayola
08-Jun-09, 10:43
yeah I believe you. ;)

perhaps you are seeing as it can only be a boss that would have so much time to reply to as many threads during the working hours, or on the other hand are you still being economical. ?
I am always economical, that's why I have money to spend. :)

tonkatojo
08-Jun-09, 10:46
I am always economical, that's why I have money to spend. :)

Thought so, economical all round. [lol]

butterfly
08-Jun-09, 11:17
This is another pointless thread Crayola.

trix
08-Jun-09, 12:50
i da ken what class im in...i left school ages ago :Razz

i do ken that am a hard workin lasagee wi 2 an a half jobs, enjoyin ma day of aday tho...

off oot til lunch wi ma 'multi rich' friend in a while...probly still go til spoons an hev fish an chips tho!! (large gless o' reid wine....obviously)

maybe some of us hev no class at'all [lol]

teenybash
08-Jun-09, 13:25
I am classless...........don't belong in any of the categories..........totally unique I am...............:)

Bazeye
08-Jun-09, 14:05
No, it's because the cleaner arrived just as I was finishing the poll and messing up the options.

Butlers day off?

joxville
08-Jun-09, 14:20
Why must money come into it? There's been many a story over the years of rich 'upper class' people giving up their inheritance to lead a simple, uncomplicated life. Me, I'm happy in my job and I don't look at money as putting me in a better class or making me a better person. In a previous job I dealt with 'commoners' as well as Lords & Ladies and treated everyone the same-class means nothing to me.

As for wealth, I'm not financially wealthy but I have the unconditional love of my son which makes me the richest man in the world. :)

So I shant be voting.

Rheghead
08-Jun-09, 14:37
I would say that I am working class even though I have professional qualifications and a very good lifestyle because I didn't start out like that. I am Wilson's child not Thatcher's. To me class is more of a mental state rather than material status. I feel more at home cracking on to working class people than others of my 'middle class' level, they seem to eventually take a nippy sweet at my coarse idio-syncracies.

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Jun-09, 14:45
Lower class, obviously.

joxville
08-Jun-09, 14:56
Another thing, it seems to me that class is only held dear by those considered to have it, ie Royalty or extremely rich people, 'normal, down-at-heel' people couldn't care less. I suppose going on about it is telling what class I am but it annoys me that now in the 21st century, with all the worlds ills and troubles, that some people still care or aspire to have it. Remember Crayola, this is Caithness.org not Sloane Square.org so I'd expect the majority of people who respond to the poll to be working class skilled/unskilled and really don't give a stuff about it either, but I think you know that anyway, which makes the poll rather pointless.

So frightfully sorry old girl, must dash-having afternoon latte with my financial advisor. Shouts <Jeeves, fire up the coach and four> ;)

bothyman
08-Jun-09, 14:58
How do you define between skilled and unskilled??

Most People have some sort of skill even though they may not realise it.

Some People can washup, other people can't.:roll:

Boiling an Egg is a skill ?? so if you class yourself as unskilled learn to boil an egg and you can hold your head high and call yourself skilled.:confused

How can anyone vote unskilled, when they had to use a computer, which is a skill to vote??;)

Thumper
08-Jun-09, 15:06
I agree I do not believe in classes and think only those who think they are above us use class as a distinction.You could be the richest person in the world yet have no class whatsoever,likewise you could be very poor but yet have wonderful manners and dignity.Working,middle and upper class are nothing more than labels made to make people look differently at others x

ShelleyCowie
08-Jun-09, 15:22
I class myself as none of those! Why should i be part of a group?

i work as a full time mum. Dont intend on going back to a job anytime soon because i want to stay at home with my boy!

So im in no group so wont vote! ;)

BINBOB
08-Jun-09, 15:27
To me...class is good manners,respect for others and being charitable to folk worse off than one self.

Iwas born into a very hard working class family,consider myself[ and proud of it] still to be working class.

Because of my ancestors working hard ,i am very lucky to be in the position i am.

I will remain working class till the end of my days.Idid not vote either.;)

Gene Hunt
08-Jun-09, 15:49
I class myself as working class.

I work and I am pure class .. ;)

Sporran
08-Jun-09, 18:14
In my opinion, a person of good class is someone who has integrity, a sense of fairness, good manners and respect for others. You could be rich, have a title and a zillion letters after your name - and still not possess good class!

Anybody who works to earn a living is working class.

oldmarine
08-Jun-09, 18:24
I checked "Working class skilled" however, I am currently retired. It should be interesting to read all these posts.

Vistravi
08-Jun-09, 19:10
This is just labelling. Don't you think we do enough labelling as it is without adding "class into it?
I strongly object to labelling. I have heard so many kids say they are bad when they are just not listening due to not being able to keep concentration for as long as an adult wants or because they are being naughty. Bad is a word i do not use when explaining to a child that they have done something wrong. There is no such thing as a bad child, just poor discipline on the adults part.

davie555
08-Jun-09, 20:33
DRINK IS THE CURSE OF THE WORKING CLASSES

WORK IS THE CURSE OF THE DRINKING CLASSES!!

:lol:

barmar62
09-Jun-09, 22:18
Mind your own business !!!

Bazeye
09-Jun-09, 23:06
You forgot to mention the underclass. The ones who have never worked, have no intention of working, keep popping kids out and think the world owes them a living.

bothyman
10-Jun-09, 08:57
You forgot to mention the underclass. The ones who have never worked, have no intention of working, keep popping kids out and think the world owes them a living.

But if you didn't have an underclass, there would be no upperclass ??:roll:

©Amethyst
10-Jun-09, 09:25

We have three houses directly across the road from us filled with these folks and one lady along the road who thinks she's above the rest of us because she drives fancy cars and has expensive cats that she feeds with nothing but M&S ham while her OH works abroad for 6 months at a time or longer.

The mother-in-law doesn't work, still has two of the kids at home, her husband doesn't work. She's disabled and he chose to stay home to look after her. Yet the mother-in-law is a wonderful person who worked hard while she could but people look down on her because she's not in a wheelchair etc. I'll not say anything more about her lazy husband though other than that - lazy.

Those on my street that don't work, all have more than one car outside their houses. We work hard, we pay our bills, we have expendable income (which I spend too easily). We aren't poor, nor are we rich but I refuse to state whether I am in a higher or lower class than others as money shouldn't really have much to do with it... it should be down to the individual's manners, habits and attitude.

But that's just my opinion.

crayola
12-Jun-09, 23:48
I'm surprised no-one commented on my choice of two unpopular topics for polls, namely the EU and what is usually called the British or even the English class system. Exploring unpopular concepts on what some have called labelling is far more interesting than who labels themselves as whatever.

Thanks to everyone who posted or voted.

forevera123
13-Jun-09, 04:18
I'm afraid I think there are only two classes................working class and the rest...............i e those who do not do work for their income.

that s what i thought:D

forevera123
13-Jun-09, 04:20
I'm in a class of my own! ;)
that s good answer

hotrod4
13-Jun-09, 05:54
I used to be in primary 7 but then I went to the big school and was in loads of different classes,so technically i am Multi classed and am now able to take part in useless polls!!!!![lol]

crayola
13-Jun-09, 15:52
If we're talking work I suppose I would would ask for an upgrade to business class. :)

joxville
13-Jun-09, 16:25
If we're talking work I suppose I would would ask for an upgrade to business class. :)

Why ask? Why not pay for it at the outset? Bloody cheapskate! :roll: ;)

Vistravi
13-Jun-09, 18:16

Crayola pay for what you want. Asking doesn't always get. If you want something you have to go and get it.

maverick
13-Jun-09, 18:43
To those who have need of me I'm topclass, to those who have no use for me I'm bottomclass. To my better half and my family I'm the dog's danglies..............

crayola
14-Jun-09, 23:49
Why pay when you can make their day by asking? ;)

percy toboggan
15-Jun-09, 17:46
Why should we take part in this yet again another "crayola poll"? I do not like being pigeon holed by anyone.[disgust]

I agree.
And why would anyone want to 'escape being working class'
Are you flogging these little snapshots to some market research company Cray?

If so you are ripping them off ! Well done.

crayola
16-Jun-09, 10:14
I agree.
And why would anyone want to 'escape being working class'
Are you flogging these little snapshots to some market research company Cray?

If so you are ripping them off ! Well done.
Hmm, recent events mean you won't have the opportunity to reply to me but I'll reply in the hope that you may read it.

Many of the so-called 'working class' want to escape to the lower middle class and that's how the 'lower middle class' emerged.

Encyclopedia Britannica definition of lower middle class (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/349939/lower-middle-class)

..A new urban class emerged as sales outlets proliferated and growing managerial bureaucracies (both private and public) created the need for secretaries, bank tellers, and other clerical workers. A lower middle class, composed of salaried personnel who could boast a certain level of education—indeed, whose jobs depended on literacy—and who worked in conditions different from...It's not my definition.

I am interested in what people think about unpopular concepts and why they think the way they do. The poll about the EU vs USA was similar but that was also the subject of a bet with a pal. I won the bet. :cool: