PDA

View Full Version : What are you worth?

cuddlepop
07-Jun-09, 18:24
Its been something that's bothered me for awhile and now its getting to me.:(

When you do a job of worth and your paid say £5.80 how would that make you feel if a cleaner received more.
I've cleaned and was on over £6 an hour so I'm not having a dig at cleaners its just with this economic climate employers seem to be devaluing "your worth".

Well what do you think?

Gene Hunt
07-Jun-09, 18:52

When you do a job of worth and your paid say £5.80 how would that make you feel if a cleaner received more.
I've cleaned and was on over £6 an hour so I'm not having a dig at cleaners its just with this economic climate employers seem to be devaluing "your worth".

Well what do you think?

All employers are looking to get more for less these days, its just the way of the world. Even when there isnt a recession on they will rob you blind where they can come to think of it. Cue my boss who has implemented a policy of paying for the water cooler in our place.

I'd rather do a job I enjoyed for slightly less cash than enduring a job I hated for a few quid more.

S&LHEN
07-Jun-09, 19:01
I know what you mean I was a nursing auxillary and got £5.65 and I did night shift and got £6.00 and loads of other people were paid way more than me for other less demanding jobs:roll:

cuddlepop
07-Jun-09, 19:51
I know what you mean I was a nursing auxillary and got £5.65 and I did night shift and got £6.00 and loads of other people were paid way more than me for other less demanding jobs:roll:

Thats what I mean.
Just how can you get motivated when people you know are getting paid more for doing less.
£6 for a night shift is shocking,I bet shop workers in the coop get paid more for nightshift.:(

tonkatojo
07-Jun-09, 21:31
Most, if not all employers are only looking after their own pockets or shareholders interests, you are only a number. The idea that a job has security as used to be went out the window years ago, around the time thatcher came along. Job loyalty should be thought about and treat in the same way, a fair days work for a fair days pay, no extras or favours without the correct renummeration.

Mik.M.
07-Jun-09, 21:51

Well what do you think?
Where I work we just had a pay rise that was recommended by our union as a good deal,we then find out that another depot get more money than us for doing the same job. We also had our shifts changed,we now seem to work longer too.

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jun-09, 21:53

Well what do you think?

Over six pound an hour for a cleaner how about twelve pound an hour as that is what I was paying for cleaning. :)

tonkatojo
07-Jun-09, 22:05
Over six pound an hour for a cleaner how about twelve pound an hour as that is what I was paying for cleaning. :)

A I B was that paid to the actual cleaner or to an agency ?

Vistravi
07-Jun-09, 22:17
Can understand how you feel cuddlepop.
I get £5.94 an hour from the nursery and £5.75 an hour from the pub. i enjoy working in the nursery and do about 40 hours a week. i work in the pub at weekends an a couple of evenings. but like last night when i get moaned at by customers some who don;t make what they want clear makes me feel as if its not worth the bother. but for the regulars and the staff the banter is great. makes it a great job.

S&LHEN
07-Jun-09, 22:56
I had another job and I was getting paid near £8.00 an hour for taking people out to lunch or coffee (which also got covered by the company and travelling on top of that!! I dont know how companys work its total madness. Homecarers are seemingly on £12.00 an hour now (they do a great job to but what are nurses on ???:(:eek::roll: so Cuddlepop I more than see your point.

EDDIE
07-Jun-09, 23:13
I had another job and I was getting paid near £8.00 an hour for taking people out to lunch or coffee (which also got covered by the company and travelling on top of that!! I dont know how companys work its total madness. Homecarers are seemingly on £12.00 an hour now (they do a great job to but what are nurses on ???:(:eek::roll: so Cuddlepop I more than see your point.

£12per hour a lot of tradesmen arent even on that.
I no my attitude stinks but the way i see it if you are doing a job were you are on £6 per hour and you think it should be £7 or£8 per hour make sure u only give them £6 per hour worth of labour and not the other in this day and age u get no thanks for going the extra mile.

cuddlepop
08-Jun-09, 07:53
£12per hour a lot of tradesmen arent even on that.
I no my attitude stinks but the way i see it if you are doing a job were you are on £6 per hour and you think it should be £7 or£8 per hour make sure u only give them £6 per hour worth of labour and not the other in this day and age u get no thanks for going the extra mile.

Thats very true Eddie if you feel your not being paid "your worth then you dont go that extra mile there is just no incentive.
I know money shouldnt rule our lifes but try living on the minimum wage or income support its an indurance test on your sanity.:eek:

Alice,you paid more than the Healthboard paid their cleaners,they must be paying you too much.;)

Invisible
08-Jun-09, 09:30
I'm 21 and until January this year I was on £4.77 which for the type of work I do I feel was totally unacceptable. I spoke out and got a pay rise to now £6.00 an hour, which is better of course.

But I dont bear a grudge on cleaners or anyone for that matter who earn more than I do

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jun-09, 15:35
A I B was that paid to the actual cleaner or to an agency ?

That was paid to someone running the business so the cleaner in fairness wasnt probably getting that much.

CP it was hubbys idea for a cleaner its him thats paid too much. ;)

I did offer to stay at home and he could pay me to do the cleaning instead. He reckons Im a big enough drain as it is :lol: :lol:

oldmarine
08-Jun-09, 18:45
You are worth whatever the trafic will allow. Sometimes I believe the amounts are out of proportion, i.e., in the USA professional athletes are making millions while educators who are training young minds, in proportion, are earning small amounts.

cuddlepop
08-Jun-09, 19:34
You are worth whatever the trafic will allow. Sometimes I believe the amounts are out of proportion, i.e., in the USA professional athletes are making millions while educators who are training young minds, in proportion, are earning small amounts.

Over here its professional footballers that are on monthly salaries that would keep most folk for a year.:(

What annoys me aswell is the varience in minimum wage in relation to someones age.
Hotels are the worst culprits for employing two 16 year olds for the price of an over21.
In some cases 16 year olds are doing the exact same job as someone else on the full minimum wage thats not fair either.

mama2
08-Jun-09, 20:00
Over here its professional footballers that are on monthly salaries that would keep most folk for a year.:(

What annoys me aswell is the varience in minimum wage in relation to someones age.
Hotels are the worst culprits for employing two 16 year olds for the price of an over21.
In some cases 16 year olds are doing the exact same job as someone else on the full minimum wage thats not fair either.

I agree it's no fair but it's the government that set these minimum brackets and of course most employers are going to make the most of them. I know if I owned a hotel I would employ two 16 year olds before I would employ one 21 year old. Morally wrong - I know but that's business.

balto
08-Jun-09, 20:57
well like most mums i am well underpaid for the work i do, cook cleaner, peace keeper, nurse and so on and on, i also earn 5.85 in my other job.

EDDIE
08-Jun-09, 22:45
If you were single and earning £6 her hour how on earth are u supposed to buy a house and pay the run of the mill bills and still have a bit of a social life in this day and age £6 isnt a lot really i think the min rate should be £10 for the cost of bills theses days but it aint gone a happen is it

Vistravi
08-Jun-09, 23:08
well like most mums i am well underpaid for the work i do, cook cleaner, peace keeper, nurse and so on and on, i also earn 5.85 in my other job.

The joys of motherhood, you forgot eco keeper for the big kid;)

Venture
08-Jun-09, 23:50

S&LHEN I think £12 is what the client pays to HRC but I don't think this is the amount per hour paid to the homecarer.