PDA

View Full Version : Sadiq Khan - new Transport Minister

percy toboggan
07-Jun-09, 17:47
I'm struggling Gordon old lad I'm really struggling.[disgust]

I've tried to utter a few words in your defence...tried to point out that there are few qualified to succeed you, that the incumbent devil we know might be better than the smarm-bag Purnell suggests, or that the treacherous mini-mouse old Blear from Salford would reckon but you've stabbed me in the front....and below the belt.

Quite why have you appointed Sadiq Khan to head the Transport Ministry ? - ... a vital organ of state which has suffered from too many movements at it's helm.

Maybe his Dad was 'on the buses' in Dewsbury (as was mine in M/cr in the 1940's)....perhaps the fact that one with the same name blew himself up taking the best part of a tube train with him in '05....I dunno...I really do not know.

I suppose it's a sop to Muslims far and wide. You don't like women in the cabinet I hear so you've installed a Muslim in the cab.

If this bloke is to retain any credibility the first thing he should do is spend a week with a UK based long distance lorry driver - maybe one of Stevne's from Wick up in Caithness - because if he's not prepared to do this then frankly sarclet, I'm better blummin' qualified to be the Minster of State for Transport.

I despair, I really despair....

~~Tides~~
07-Jun-09, 18:41
So just what is your greivance with this particular man doing this particular job? I've read your post and I just don't get what your problem is.

You seem to take issue with the fact that a member of the Islamic faith attacked a bus once, so another member of one of the major world religions shouldn't be incharge of buses? Is that really the point, or one of the points you're trying to make? Because if it is, its you that I really despair for.

But please clarify what you meant.

Chillie
07-Jun-09, 23:36
So just what is your greivance with this particular man doing this particular job? I've read your post and I just don't get what your problem is.

You seem to take issue with the fact that a member of the Islamic faith attacked a bus once, so another member of one of the major world religions shouldn't be incharge of buses? Is that really the point, or one of the points you're trying to make? Because if it is, its you that I really despair for.

But please clarify what you meant.

Yes I agree Tides seem's your post is rather on the other side [disgust]

Metalattakk
08-Jun-09, 02:18
Quite why have you appointed Sadiq Khan to head the Transport Ministry ?

I think he's done it just to annoy bigots and racists.

percy toboggan
08-Jun-09, 07:58
You may well be right mettalattak...
if he carries on like this the BNP might soon be making inroads into Westminster rather than sprouting in Brussels !

Tides: My 'On the Buses'; reference was not aimed at the atrocity on the double-decker in London, merely a suggestion of Khan's oblique and dubious qualities in the transport stakes. Your knee jerk assumption seems to be I have a one dimensional train of thought and lack a sense of humour. If you keep reading my stuff you might pick up on it...eventually.

I am sorry you despair of me - I really am, but you seem tuned into the kind of wavelength that will never even try to see the opposite view, especially if it is one which has the temerity to assume a preference to be governed by my own people.

Sadly, I cannot accept or approve of the promotion of unqualified Politicians to positions of such responsibility - moreso when their ethnicity and their 'johnny-come-lately status suggests their appointment is mere tokenism.

Oddquine
08-Jun-09, 10:48
Tides: My 'On the Buses'; reference was not aimed at the atrocity on the double-decker in London, merely a suggestion of Khan's oblique and dubious qualities in the transport stakes. Your knee jerk assumption seems to be I have a one dimensional train of thought and lack a sense of humour. If you keep reading my stuff you might pick up on it...eventually.

I've been reading you on various forums over the years, Percy.....and I'm still struggling.

I am sorry you despair of me - I really am, but you seem tuned into the kind of wavelength that will never even try to see the opposite view, especially if it is one which has the temerity to assume a preference to be governed by my own people.

From that, I assume you mean of long time British descent, white and Christian (or at least of no religion).............regardless of their competence, honesty or ability to communicate effectively in their native language? As Sadiq Khan was born in London, he as as English as you and more British than me as I can't abide cricket.

He is not a Muslim MP, but an MP who happens to be a Muslim.

Sadly, I cannot accept or approve of the promotion of unqualified Politicians to positions of such responsibility - moreso when their ethnicity and their 'johnny-come-lately status suggests their appointment is mere tokenism.

Come on, Percy...........nearly every MP in every position of responsibility in Westminster is unqualified for that position........or any position other than that which they held before becoming an MP.

How much experience of the job have successive foreign or defence secretaries, chancellors etc had before they attained those offices crucial to Government.

If you don't assume that promotions are made using the Peter Principle (though I'm not convinced they are not,thinking about John Prescott), then the incumbents are chosen from the best available candidates.

He will not have been promoted because he is non-white and Muslim....he will have been promoted because the options in loyal, reasonably intelligent, honest MPs is strictly limited.

fingalmacool
08-Jun-09, 14:29
Maybe its not that deep that he is included on Gordons team, it maybe that he is a yes man, and by the looks and sounds of it Gordon needs them all:confused

percy toboggan
08-Jun-09, 21:05
Oddquine: I have been reading you long enough to know your grand-child cannot take your opinions seriously, and I'm afraid neither can I.

Feel free to ignore me - three lines is all I can manage - I'm far more selective these days.

Oddquine
09-Jun-09, 04:18
Oddquine: I have been reading you long enough to know your grand-child cannot take your opinions seriously, and I'm afraid neither can I.

Feel free to ignore me - three lines is all I can manage - I'm far more selective these days.

Ach, no, Percy...........I'd not ignore you.........I can always do with the reminder that however dogmatic and intransigent I might appear, there is always somebody worse.

By the way...my grand children think I am ace (all four of them........19 down to 9)..........and that is despite the fact that I chew them up if they come out with racist remarks. Not that they ever have as such........but they do get racist texts on their mobiles sometimes which they think I should find funny.

Even the nine year old can discuss the issue with a reasonable grasp of my point of view. Such a shame the same can't be said of many adults.

percy toboggan
09-Jun-09, 07:50
Ach, no, Percy...........I'd not ignore you.........I can always do with the reminder that however dogmatic and intransigent I might appear, there is always somebody worse.

By the way...my grand children think I am ace (all four of them........19 down to 9)..........and that is despite the fact that I chew them up if they come out with racist remarks. Not that they ever have as such........but they do get racist texts on their mobiles sometimes which they think I should find funny.

Even the nine year old can discuss the issue with a reasonable grasp of my point of view. Such a shame the same can't be said of many adults.

This is one way of looking at it Oddquine.
Not many adults can 'grasp' your point of view? - surely this justifies my little snipe.

Another way might be that a nine year old's often simplistic view of the world can more readily accept your train of thought on your two main beefs- from the narrow confines of all out and rampant Scottish nationalism, to the question of racism and all of it's sub-headings.

Might I suggest a little more clarity - you 'chew them up over racist remarks' yet they never make any....'as such'. How does this work then?
I'd be so disappointed if any child or grandchild of mine made 'racist remarks' - the world they are growing up in is so very different to that of my own experience. They need to feel at home in it - I have no similar need, and rather enjoy railing against it - especially as so few others seem willing to rail with me... in public anyway.

Sniping,cutting comments regarding colour and race have always left me feeling demeaned - from whichever section of society they come....yet sadly they are inevitable in the melting-pot, at least for a decade or three yet. Comedy based references can be funny, albeit reliant on the stereotypes we are all familiar with.

My own children grew up in a 99% white environment so race was not an issue - the local area is still 95% similar so I'm not yet in full retreat mode. I appreciate your lack of any personal knowledge of huge swathes of the UK precludes an informed opinion on the effects of mass immigration.

I really hope your Grandchildren continue to think of you as 'ace' and they keep you tuned into youth culture well into your dotage. You seem to enjoy it , and good luck to you.

Oddquine
09-Jun-09, 14:06
This is one way of looking at it Oddquine.
Not many adults can 'grasp' your point of view? - surely this justifies my little snipe.

Another way might be that a nine year old's often simplistic view of the world can more readily accept your train of thought on your two main beefs- from the narrow confines of all out and rampant Scottish nationalism, to the question of racism and all of it's sub-headings.

Might I suggest a little more clarity - you 'chew them up over racist remarks' yet they never make any....'as such'. How does this work then?
I'd be so disappointed if any child or grandchild of mine made 'racist remarks' - the world they are growing up in is so very different to that of my own experience. They need to feel at home in it - I have no similar need, and rather enjoy railing against it - especially as so few others seem willing to rail with me... in public anyway.

Snipe away, Percy et al....as long as you are doing that, you are leaving someone else alone. I'd be interested in how many people grasp your point of view when it tends to be couched in BNP style rhetoric which detracts from whatever point you are trying to make. (What was the point of this thread, by the way?)

I'm rather glad I am simplistic..........that way my opinions are clear, however badly I express them, though I fail to see what my stance on Scottish Independence has to do with this thread. (I note you forgot to mention smoking). I am somewhat gratified that a few people find my purple prose so irritating that they remember it and comment on it months later.

I did explain that I was talking about the repeating to me of racist jokes sent as texts. As someone who walked out of a Billy Connolly concert many years ago because he told a disabled joke for no other reason than because he could, I can safely say that I have never found jokes based on stereotypes humorous.......whatever the stereotype.

To my knowledge, none of my grandchildren make racist remarks, though obviously I have no idea how they talk when with their peers.

Sniping,cutting comments regarding colour and race have always left me feeling demeaned - from whichever section of society they come....yet sadly they are inevitable in the melting-pot, at least for a decade or three yet. Comedy based references can be funny, albeit reliant on the stereotypes we are all familiar with.

My own children grew up in a 99% white environment so race was not an issue - the local area is still 95% similar so I'm not yet in full retreat mode. I appreciate your lack of any personal knowledge of huge swathes of the UK precludes an informed opinion on the effects of mass immigration.

I really hope your Grandchildren continue to think of you as 'ace' and they keep you tuned into youth culture well into your dotage. You seem to enjoy it , and good luck to you.

I do not see what not having personal knowledge of huge swathes of immigration have to do with having an informed opinion about whether the colour of a person's skin, their religion or ethnicity has any bearing on anything at all.

In my opinion, people are people. There are as many white British Christian wastes of space as there are non-white, non-British, non-Christian ones. None of them are wastes of space because of their race, religion or colour.....simply because they are that kind of person.

If sniping, cutting comments regarding colour and race leave you feeling demeaned, why would you think that those kinds of comments from yourself would not offend others?

They are inevitable as long as people are allowed to make posts in the tone of your original one on public forums. I should think that you have accomplished your purpose in generating yet another thread on your pet bugbear, Percy.

I'm sorry I have indulged you to the extent I have...........I really must learn to roll my eyes heavenward and sigh the next time you climb on this particular soapbox.

rich
09-Jun-09, 14:56
Percy, you still haven't told us what relevance the appointment of a Muslim as transport minister has to the polnt you are trying to make.
Whatever that point is.

percy toboggan
09-Jun-09, 15:15
[quote=Oddquine;559024]
....If sniping, cutting comments regarding colour and race leave you feeling demeaned, why would you think that those kinds of comments from yourself would not offend others?....

quote]

You have obviously mistaken me for someone else. I have never indulged in this kind of behaviour on this. or any other forum.

If you can provide an example beyond your delicate and sensitive thresholds then I shall be happy to apologise.

I don't feel 'indulged' if it's any consolation and I'd much prefer you ignored me you know. We clearly each think the other an interminable drone and
dullard.

percy toboggan
09-Jun-09, 15:18
Percy, you still haven't told us what relevance the appointment of a Muslim as transport minister has to the polnt you are trying to make.
Whatever that point is.

He's not qualified - which was the essence of my original post.
I also mentioned I preferred governance to come from my own people.
If he is a devout muslim he will too likely be called away to pray etc. up to five times a day
Friday afternoons are hellish on England's roads you know.
While he may be happily & for him rightly sprawled out in supplication to his God (peace be upon him) the motorways will be seizing up!

Rheghead
09-Jun-09, 15:21
...If he is a devout muslim he will too likely be called away to pray etc. up to five times a day...While he may be happily & for him rightly sprawled out in supplication to his God (peace be upon him) the motorways will be seizing up!

So if he was stuck for somewhere to pray, would you offer him the cold shoulder or the hard shoulder?:confused

percy toboggan
09-Jun-09, 15:38
So are you offering him the cold shoulder or the hard shoulder?:confused

Pinch of salt time Rheghead, we can still have a joke in this country you know.Maybe this is what you're doing (hard to tell frankly) :lol:

He may well turn out to be the best Transport Minister we ever had.
All of them should spend some time at the diesel face, working with Airport & Railway staff and getting to know the nuts and bolts of their jobs. If he does things like this regularly - even as a transparently superficial propaganda exercise - then he will at least go some way to reversing my view. He needs to doff a cap to those who make British transport work - and cast a beady eye over those that don't.

Kenneth
09-Jun-09, 15:47
I think lets give him time, then judge him, Percy. Judge not lest ye be judged as they say, but going by some of the remarks on this forum, I think ye have been judged! :lol:

percy toboggan
09-Jun-09, 15:52
I think lets give him time, then judge him, Percy. Judge not lest ye be judged as they say, but going by some of the remarks on this forum, I think ye have been judged! :lol:

Kenneth's cage rattled again !
By jove...best do it once a day after feeding time.
Those leaves alone won't cause indigestion -
indignation perhaps...mind you you're on form today...
and at least you're smiling.
Progress.

Kenneth
09-Jun-09, 16:01
Kenneth's cage rattled again !
By jove...best do it once a day after feeding time.
Those leaves alone won't cause indigestion -
indignation perhaps...mind you you're on form today...
and at least you're smiling.
Progress.

Sometimes I can't tell if you are trying to patronise me or if you are trying to be funny. But you don't use a smiley face after your shpiel so how can I tell, maybe I should buy one of those sarcasm detectors.

Either way, my point sticks. Politics and Politicians can be surprising. Mr Khan could prove you wrong, but we shall see.:confused

percy toboggan
09-Jun-09, 16:08
Sometimes I can't tell if you are trying to patronise me or if you are trying to be funny. But you don't use a smiley face after your shpiel so how can I tell, maybe I should buy one of those sarcasm detectors.

Either way, my point sticks. Politics and Politicians can be surprising. Mr Khan could prove you wrong, but we shall see.:confused

Ken - don't worry either way...forget my posts within seconds of reading them - that is my usual approach to yours.
Given recent events (the last 40 years) if Khan does much to please me it will be a first...and just for you I'll grab him and give him a great big kiss !
;)

(interesting spelling of shpiel by the way - I likes it)

Alien Adrenaline Reflex
09-Jun-09, 16:13
what does his fathers occupation have to do with his own occupation? Did your fathers job determine yours?

why would it matter that someone with the same surname blew themselves up make him less qualified to be a transport minister? is your surnaem clear of all crimes?

whats the fact that he's a Muslim got to do with his ability to be an effective transport minister?

Please define your own people.

What difference will it make if he goes to pray 5 times a day? I dont remeember any previous transport ministers out directing trafic or digging the roads up personaly. i'd imagine its fairly simple tyo arrange meetings around these times.

like Rich I stil dont see what point you are trying to make.

Kenneth
09-Jun-09, 16:15
So what went wrong from the 60s Percy? Groan, dont tell me, immigrants, Jamaica, Motown, bah humbug!

I am being a bit naughty there but I would be interested to hear you opine on British Society pre and post Suez Canal

percy toboggan
09-Jun-09, 16:27
what does his fathers occupation have to do with his own occupation? Did your fathers job determine yours?

why would it matter that someone with the same surname blew themselves up make him less qualified to be a transport minister? is your surnaem clear of all crimes?

whats the fact that he's a Muslim got to do with his ability to be an effective transport minister?

Please define your own people.

What difference will it make if he goes to pray 5 times a day? I dont remeember any previous transport ministers out directing trafic or digging the roads up personaly. i'd imagine its fairly simple tyo arrange meetings around these times.

like Rich I stil dont see what point you are trying to make.

And like Rich you are a bit of a twerp, devoid of humour...any sense of irony and bereft of anything interesting to say.

Try some of your own medicine - it might perk you up a bit....and while yer at it give your mate Rich a shot.

(PT: hangs head and waits for infraction points)

percy toboggan
09-Jun-09, 16:35
I also see our mate 'plasma' Malik's back as Communities Secretary.
Just the job for him.

There are so many of them after all - communities.
Used to be only one but we've diversified so much it's hard keeping up.

Alien Adrenaline Reflex
09-Jun-09, 16:35
you could have just said that you were going to sidestep all questions about what you said in the first place and saved us all the trouble of responnding and what is a infraction point? sorry im new. hi rich it seems we're mates now.

rich
09-Jun-09, 16:53
He's not qualified - which was the essence of my original post.
I also mentioned I preferred governance to come from my own people.

Percy, I am uncertain as to who your "own people" are.
Would I count as one of your own people? (I certainly hope not!)
As for the qualifications issue where do you get your licence to rant?

rich
09-Jun-09, 17:02
Greetings, Alien!
I am still coming to grips with Percy's notion that I don't have a sense of humor!

My thousands of fans will treat this comment with the derision it deserves.

If I may paraphrase Dr. Johnson (one of us?) patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

That can apply to humor as well.

I have noticed that Percy begins his homilies with a big,blatantly prejudiced statement.

Then he withdraws the most offensive parts by claiming he was only joking.

But the sneer and the smear remain.

percy toboggan
09-Jun-09, 17:04
Percy, I am uncertain as to who your "own people" are.
Would I count as one of your own people? (I certainly hope not!)
As for the qualifications issue where do you get your licence to rant?

I do not 'rant'.
As a freeborn Englishman blessed with a modicum of literary skill I attempt to enlighten, en(rich), witticise and entertain. At the same time generally sounding orf.

Alien concepts to you no doubt - that's why yer not one 'o mine.:confused

rich
09-Jun-09, 19:23
I accused you of ranting.

Oh, mea culpa! I should of course have said "raving."

And whence cometh the "free-born Englishman"?

If you have to describe yourself in these terms it is time for the psychiatrist's couch!

percy toboggan
10-Jun-09, 07:03
[quote=rich;559099]Greetings, Alien!
I am still coming to grips with Percy's notion that I don't have a sense of humor!

My thousands of fans will treat this comment with the derision it deserves.

quote]

I await a tidal wave or derision then.:confused
Or perhaps your thousands of 'fans' hang out somewhere else.
I've never noticed many of them hereabouts.
Methinks you're becoming delusional once again.

You might be joking of course, in a bid to prove my 'humourless' jibe wide of the mark - remember humour is subjective.:Razz

toboggan