PDA

View Full Version : S.n.o

compo
07-Jun-09, 08:19
hello there. i was a wondring if any one else here has had to deal with s.n.o otherwise known as Second Nature Observation. as i have googled and yahooed it with no results in conection with its meaning which is. health and safety in that if you observe what you consider to be an unsafe act then you approach the person commiting said unsafe act and ask them to comply with the rules. this S.N.O thing only seems to apply at dounerey but i have heard that the same sort of thing happens off shore.

Kevin Milkins
07-Jun-09, 09:57
I worked under a similar safety programme when I was with Lawson Mardon Star (later to become Alcan) and they called that STOP, Safety Training Observation Programme.

It was devised by Du-Pont who’s aim was to achieve a zero accident rate in the work place as they believe that there is no such thing as an accident and all work place injuries can be avoided.

I still have all the course work if it is something that may be of interest to you.

compo
07-Jun-09, 12:53
Thanks kevin i have done the course just wondered if any one else had encountered it outsidr of dounerey.

joxville
07-Jun-09, 13:01
We have a similar thing at my work, in that if you see an unsafe act and don't stop it or report it then you are deemed as guilty as the person carrying it out. Our safety programme is called OSCAR- Observe, Safety Conscious, Avoid Risk. Similar to Kevin's anecdote, the bosses believe that a zero accident rate is possible, that you risk assess the task first-even though you may have done the job previously and it's covered under a SSoW (Safe System of Work). Only then can the task be carried out.