PDA

View Full Version : Two minutes is not that much to ask!

Drutt
11-Nov-03, 12:53
Well, that was the noisiest 2 minute silence I've ever sat through.

In my open plan office 2 people talked on the phone throughout. At least 3 others treated it as a sponsored silence, where as long as they kept their mouths shut they were okay, and delighted us with the sounds of lots of tip tapping on their keyboards and paper shuffling.

After the 2 minutes 'silence', when I gently suggested (though with barely concealed contempt), that it was supposed to be a time for quiet reflection, I was given pathetic excuses about how they had to work because they are so busy.

Anyway, I was appalled. Two minutes contemplation is not a lot to ask, considering how many people lost their lives so we could be so 'busy' in our lives today.

jjc
11-Nov-03, 13:03
Yup, I know what you mean. Somebody at my place decided that 11am today was a good time to run a fire-alarm test!!! [disgust]

Kenn
11-Nov-03, 17:48
Know just what you mean we had posted a notice on the shop door saying we would be observing the silence...just dropped the catch and there's the first illiterate banging on the door! Needless to say we made her wait .Surely 2mins is not too much to ask for a quiet reflection and a little respect.

golach
11-Nov-03, 20:39
Lizz, it had to be a wuman [lol]
Golach

Wounded Soldier
11-Nov-03, 23:44
I tried all day to remember jus like i do every year but.....

...I jus cant remember being in that war an fighting along side them heroes [lol]

Donnie
12-Nov-03, 11:03
Maybe they never knew anyone who died then? Maybe it was long enough before their life time for them not to care? Maybe they don't agree with it? If people want to pay their respects then it is up to them. If they do they may want to do it in their own time in their own way.

George Brims
12-Nov-03, 21:34
Here in the US my two minutes were disturbed by 15 or so WW2 fighter planes from the local branch of the Commemorative Air Force flying over on their way to do a fly-past at a nearby memorial service, and the cat bolting past me to hide under the sofa. I must give them a call and ask them not to go over so low next year. By then the cat may have come out.

Back in the distant past, when I was small, everything stopped for those two minutes. Cars halted. Everyone stopped walking. Men took off their hats. I also recall the memorial services used to be held on the 11th, not on the nearest Sunday as they are nowadays.

golach
12-Nov-03, 22:38
There is no RESPECT nowadays, for anything or anybody,ok I did not know anybody that fought or died in WW1, but I respect the memory of those that did die. WW2 I did not know the members of my family that died, but I respect their memory also, coming nearer to home one of my sons was one day from being in the Falklands crisis and I do know one who did die there, I respect his memory along with all the others who have served their country and died doing their job.
If standing still and quiet for two minutes is a way of showing my respect then it is a small price to pay for RESPECT
Golach