PDA

View Full Version : A Piece of History

Saveman
11-Mar-06, 16:45
Living in western society is easy.
If we get sick or are born with infirmities the government looks after us. Jobs are well paid, supermarkets are bursting with food of many kinds. Getting credit is easy. You can have everything you ever wanted.....buy now pay tomorrow. I'm not saying things are perfect or everyone is prosperous. I just wish to highlight how well off we all are.
Since Talmine has been mentioned on another thread I thought it would be appropriate to use an example from Tongue of the piece of history I wanted to highlight from the Archive Centre:

Letter written on behalf of Chirsty Mackay to Parochial Board for application of Poor Relief. The Letter informs Dr. Black (Inspector of the Poor) that Chirsty Mackay is almost blind and lame and cannot support herself. She cannot even get herself peat to keep herself warm without paying someone to fetch it for her. The letter states that Chirsty Mackay's case is to be pitied.

Application was refused.
Skinid, Tongue
4 November 1848

This is not an isolated incident. It was common.
There are many many other situations that are very similiar or worse as they involved children.
They are all gone now, they are at rest but their pain should not be forgotten.