PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts at Shurrery

Eagleclaw68
06-Jun-09, 02:36
Any body seen or heard about ghostly activity at Shurrery, had a weired scary experience the other night at Shurrery, just plain weired.

Aaldtimer
06-Jun-09, 02:53
Do tell! :confused

Loafer
06-Jun-09, 16:03
Any body seen or heard about ghostly activity at Shurrery, had a weired scary experience the other night at Shurrery, just plain weired.

Tell us more.......

The Loafer

teenybash
06-Jun-09, 17:22
More please....what happened, what did you see, feel, hear.........:eek:

butterfly
06-Jun-09, 18:53
Spooked was you?Come on spill the beans.:eek:

katarina
06-Jun-09, 22:58
please please spill the beans.......

3of8
07-Jun-09, 17:16
Maybe they came and took Eagle away?

The story will continue on the safe return, no doubt. Awaiting with bated breath........

Stefan
07-Jun-09, 17:32
Never seen any ghosts at Shurrery and have stayed there a fair few days... but you never know, it's got plenty of ruins and now people are building in the area... My neighbours got their frame up and should have the roof on by now.....

Sure Eagle will tell us when the shock is over....

catran
07-Jun-09, 21:26
Was it near the Loch by any chance? Quite boggy and creepy down there.

buzzard
08-Jun-09, 21:39
Please do tell us your experience!

Was it a scary weird laughing noise at night?

Tubthumper
08-Jun-09, 23:14
Camped in the woods at Broubster/ Shurrery on Saturday night, and was up at Loch Scye as well. Owls! Midges! Cows! Spooky! And our poop shovel went missing!

I reckon there's a lot of history round there, not all of it happy. I believe the 'clearances' continued in the area almost until the 20th century, under the old guise of 'land improvement'. You can actually see quite a few ruined buildings up and away from the road.

Mind you I'm half-man, half turnip, what do I know...

Stefan
09-Jun-09, 09:13
I doubt that ghosts need poop shovels, unless there is something they haven't been telling us...

There are plenty owls, midges, well, don't get me started and there are some noises I have never heard of before. Not sure what kind of animal it is, but there is a weird alien like sound at night, as soon as it gets dark. I have heard it most nights. It doesn't sound like an animal to be fair, more like somebody holding up a plastic tube and moving it around in a fast circle.

I think Shurrery is a great place with bucket loads of history and I feel honored to be able to live amongst it.

Hoping to rebuild the ruins (anybody know where I can learn how to do it?) and dry out the land a bit. It's midge heaven out there.

buggyracer
09-Jun-09, 09:44
i doubt that ghosts need poop shovels, unless there is something they haven't been telling us...

There are plenty owls, midges, well, don't get me started and there are some noises i have never heard of before. Not sure what kind of animal it is, but there is a weird alien like sound at night, as soon as it gets dark. I have heard it most nights. It doesn't sound like an animal to be fair, more like somebody holding up a plastic tube and moving it around in a fast circle.

I think shurrery is a great place with bucket loads of history and i feel honored to be able to live amongst it.

Hoping to rebuild the ruins (anybody know where i can learn how to do it?) and dry out the land a bit. It's midge heaven out there.

the sound you hear is a bird ;)

Stefan
09-Jun-09, 09:49
Yes, my neighbour told me it's a bird, but it still sounds weird.
Do you know which bird it is?

buggyracer
09-Jun-09, 09:54
Yes, my neighbour told me it's a bird, but it still sounds weird.
Do you know which bird it is?

I think a curlew but not 100% :roll:

Tubthumper
09-Jun-09, 18:29
Having heard it the other night, I think it's more likely to be a greater moss harrier (burdus naechanceii)
Probably a young female. Strange though, they don't usually come this far north (global warming?) I wonder if the Broubster Leans RSPB project has received its first summer stranger.

Stefan
09-Jun-09, 19:18
I hear the curlew all the time, that's not the noise I mean. Curlews do actually sound like birds.
The sound is very deep and uniform, rather erie (if thats a word).

Never heard of a greater moss harrier. Can't find any info on them online either, or am I looking in the wrong place?

I am not easily spooked but those sounds are weird!

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/shortearedowl/index.asp

If you listen to the clip, it sound similar to the first part, only faster and you have to ignore the cheerful background noise.

buggyracer
09-Jun-09, 19:49
I hear the curlew all the time, that's not the noise I mean. Curlews do actually sound like birds.
The sound is very deep and uniform, rather erie (if thats a word).

Never heard of a greater moss harrier. Can't find any info on them online either, or am I looking in the wrong place?

I am not easily spooked but those sounds are weird!

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/shortearedowl/index.asp

If you listen to the clip, it sound similar to the first part, only faster and you have to ignore the cheerful background noise.

you are correct its not a curlew, i know the sound as i have heard it recently, sorry i dont know the species of bird but do the sound you describe.

gleeber
09-Jun-09, 19:57
It's probably a snipe. The sound comes from the air rushing through its tail feathers and is commonly known as drumming.

Aaldtimer
09-Jun-09, 19:59
Does it sound anything like this:- http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/blackgrouse/index.asp :)

Stefan
09-Jun-09, 20:36
Not sure.
Could be. Have to listen to it again next week. Down in ugly England at the moment.
Snipes are supposed to be active in the morning though, not late at night when darkness sets in...

Skifter
09-Jun-09, 21:52
The snipe near where i live are very active in the evening.

teenybash
09-Jun-09, 22:14
Never waste your time listening next week for it isn't a bird......well not of the feathery kind.
Many years ago Bognan, a well known trouble making Banshee from the Emerald Isles called Ireland, caused a lot of trouble for a lot of folk...including her own.
Her biding place was around the edges of Nilkanoon village, reknowned for its band of Banshees, who were relatively harmless though a little bit noisy during a full moon. They would set away singing and skirling on their pipes and beat haunting rythms on their bodhrans accompanied by their usual screaming and screeching to which the folks of Nilkanoon were well used .
However, Bognan took it upon herself one dark November eve to create a stir...... She went round every house in the village where a child lay asleep and outside their window, in the eerie dark set up the most awful din. '''SCRECHINAAAAaaaaa...SCIOCHALAAAAaaaa.....WIYAAA aaaaa!!!!'''
And when the mums and dads drew back the curtains holding their crying sleepy eyed child to reassure them nothing was there....out jumped Bognan, in the full glare of the winter moon and frightened the life out of everyone because the meerest glimpse of her was so horrible.
Her gaping mouth was filled with blackened teeth and through them she growled and howled out the terrifying sounds, her gnarled face framed by wild coils of steel gray hair that never a comb had been through.

The Nilkanoon village council threatened to rid the place of every Banshee if Bognan wasn't dealt with severley and she was banished across the seas, never to return to Ireland again.
Many years passed and she wandered here and there looking for somewhere to call home. Somewhere that reminded her of the boggy lands around Nilkanoon and it was by chance that she found herself in the County of Caithness in Scotland and she at last felt at home among the wild boggy areas filled with tall rushes, purple heather, bog cotton and the sounds of the wild calling and calling.......................

So, the sound you hear is simply Bognan contentedly humming as she stops a while in Shurrery.............watching and waiting to see what mischief she can get up to......when the time is right. ;)

Tubthumper
09-Jun-09, 23:13
Can the police not do anything about these banshees? Why should we have to put up with Ireland's screeching cast-offs?

Aaldtimer
10-Jun-09, 03:03
Does the Matron know you're oot Teeny?;)

teenybash
10-Jun-09, 13:08
Does the Matron know you're oot Teeny?;)

SSsshhhhhh.....never say a word...if she asks say you know nothing.:confused

catran
10-Jun-09, 18:57
What a lovely story teenybash, could just imagine it up there in the boggy wetlands.

Stefan
20-Jun-09, 12:15
Please do tell us your experience!
Was it a scary weird laughing noise at night?

I usually sleep well at night so haven't heard anything weird really.
Have you heard it yourself?
Seems that Eagle never returned to tell us. The post about ghosts at Shurrery was his last one..... oh dear....

buzzard
20-Jun-09, 20:52
Yes, it was an owl, very close to our bedroom ;), very loud, gave me a real fright first times I heard it...

Still curious what happened to Eagle though.

buggyracer
24-Jul-09, 19:38
yes its a snipe i was meaning :)

Mrs Bucket
24-Jul-09, 22:07
I thought it was a well known fact that a snipe is a banshee with feathers.

redeyedtreefrog
25-Jul-09, 00:22
Cant have an experience with something that doesn't exist.