PDA

View Full Version : Thurso College.

cuddlepop
11-Mar-06, 13:58
Can you tell me if students have accommodation available to them when they are on a full time course,would phone the colllege but their closed just now.
thank -you :)

ice box
11-Mar-06, 14:17
i think most students when i was at the college was staying in the ormile lodge saying that its 1996 but iam not sure if the college provides the accommodation or do you have to find your own .

cuddlepop
11-Mar-06, 14:24
Thanks Icebox,if no one else replys daughter will have to wait till Monday:o)

RandomHero
11-Mar-06, 14:38
It's Ormilie Lodge still but also some people tell the college they are willing to let rooms out to students

cuddlepop
11-Mar-06, 14:51
Randomhero,whats the accommodation like.:grin:

emszxr
11-Mar-06, 16:22
it used to be £30 a week and £20 a week if you were not there in the holidays, yes you have to pay for the room if your not there. this was in 1996-1997 so may all have changed. the rooms were small but big enough for what you need it for. kitchens that everyone shares. the rooms do get pretty cold or they did and the owner not keen on you using wee heaters in your room, but what he dont know.
sorry i dont have any up to date info on the place for you

98elite
11-Mar-06, 16:39
Randomhero,whats the accommodation like.:grin:

I heard about a girl from Ross-shire that moved out of Ormlie Lodge a couple of months ago because of trouble, drugs were mentioned, I suppose you can get this situation in most places however I know from a family member that she did not enjoy her time there.

wee_fuzzy_kitty
11-Mar-06, 16:47
yeah, the rooms are small. Id probably go insane if i had to stay in there for a length of time. You share bathrooms and kitchens with other residents.

When you join the college they give you a list of people who let out rooms in their houses to students, have to be well behaved ones though :lol:

RandomHero
11-Mar-06, 18:54
Ormilie Lodge is quite small. I've only been in it once but the guys room was a tip. Don't worry bout drug talk, very rare and easily avoided. if u call the college im sure they could arrange a tour round & chat about the accomodation.

What course are you studying out of curiosity?

cuddlepop
11-Mar-06, 19:36
Its not me that will be studying fulltime there its my daughter who is hoping to do there child care Hnc
Really wants to go to Langside but there slow on the replys.Apparently if they dont get in contact with you by May you contact them?
Got into Glasgow's North College to do Media Studies but she's not sure...
[smirk]

RandomHero
11-Mar-06, 19:51
media studies or childcare? a strange combo! when i applied to langside i got a response within about 3 weeks. i didnt end up goin coz it wasnt the course for me but then again that a different story. i did an hnc in thurso and i found that it was a great introduction, a taster if you will to a subject i intended on goin further with. it's a nice college and a friendly staff. i wud reccomend perhaps she did the hnc here and then moved further down the line to study the rest of the course. perhaps stay on and do an HND and then get an accelerated entry in a different college. im quite experienced on applyin and such like so don't hesitate to PM if you want to ask questions or nethin at all. happy to help.

cuddlepop
11-Mar-06, 21:01
What she really wants to do is join the police force.Advice is to wait until she's 21 before applying.
Really good with kids,good with her Galic,taking her higher.enjoys photography,drama production etc.
When you look closely you'll see its possible to go into Galictv production for kids with this mix.
Good luck with your studies:grin:

angela5
11-Mar-06, 23:30
lol jst helping out pal best not stay in that place it would be like living with the adams family lol

But they are a sweet family i would swap mine anyday.

wee_fuzzy_kitty
12-Mar-06, 12:08
Thats the course I'll be moving on to after the summer. Im currently doing the NC. Your daughter will like Thurso college, everyone on my course is great, and so are the lectures (for care courses anyway, not sure about the rest,lol) Hope she finds accomodation. :grin:

pops
12-Mar-06, 12:28
the HNC childcare course is really good i would recomend it! Thurso college is good too! lots of time out on placement 2 which is really gd!

Moby
12-Mar-06, 12:32
If you constact Student Services at the college tomorrow they have a list of people in Thurso who rent out rooms in their own homes for college students. A friend of mine also runs a B&B in the town http://www.watersidehouse.info/ - she does student rates I think - but you won't be able to get hold of her until tomorrow either.

There is also a gaelic playgroup in Thurso which might be a really great placement for your daughter if she chooses to do her HNC up here.

cuddlepop
12-Mar-06, 16:09
Thanks everyone for your help.Will get onto the college first thing:Razz