PDA

View Full Version : Smiddy Inn, Thrumster

Fran
05-Jun-09, 00:54
Excellent. Took my mum there last night and I had roast chicken and she had gammon steak. Huge platefuls, very good price, warm, nice coal fire, very welcoming, good staff. my mum is very fussy but she really enjoyed her meal. so much so, we went again tonight. We had half portions, it was really good. The bar lady was very welcoming and very helpful.
I dont think i will be able to get my mum away from there. It really is good in every way.

butterfly
05-Jun-09, 01:26
Excellent. Took my mum there last night and I had roast chicken and she had gammon steak. Huge platefuls, very good price, warm, nice coal fire, very welcoming, good staff. my mum is very fussy but she really enjoyed her meal. so much so, we went again tonight. We had half portions, it was really good. The bar lady was very welcoming and very helpful.
I dont think i will be able to get my mum away from there. It really is good in every way.

Yes you get a good meal there Fran and the place is well known for it's big portions and cosy atmosphere with welcoming staff.

Margaret M.
05-Jun-09, 03:07
It has always been one of my favourite places -- the meals are consistently wonderful.

sjr014
06-Jun-09, 22:23
Yeah defo hard til beat! Love the chicken fillets! Had roast chicken last time and it was yummy!

Mrs Bucket
06-Jun-09, 22:29
We ate there as a family about ten days ago and all I will say is we will nevver be back again. ever

butterfly
07-Jun-09, 02:40
We ate there as a family about ten days ago and all I will say is we will nevver be back again. ever

Why?:confused

Mrs Bucket
07-Jun-09, 19:10
Food terrible and too expensive tables sticky plates too small. Staff not interested in customers. I simply wont be going back.

butterfly
07-Jun-09, 20:14
Food terrible and too expensive tables sticky plates too small. Staff not interested in customers. I simply wont be going back.

Oh dear that's a shame.Did you complain?

shamrock2007
07-Jun-09, 21:33
Had a lovely old fashioned pub grub 2nite. Excellent & quick. Huge portions & good value for money. :D

Lingland
08-Jun-09, 08:54
Ive eaten there it is ok

Mrs Bucket
08-Jun-09, 09:54
Oh dear that's a shame.Did you complain?
Of course I did was met with silence and a stoney stare.

hotrod4
09-Jun-09, 05:44
Must give it a try.I love "pub grub" and even though I am a chef i hate all fancy namby pamby foods.Why dress something up with useless "jus"etc when it tastes perfectly good the way it is?
Will have to stop by and taste their fare.

TopCat
09-Jun-09, 13:53
Food is fantastic but we were stinking of chip fat when we came out. The door to the kitchen was wedged open and the odours came right through the bar. I had to wash everything from my hair to my jeans!

Twiggy
09-Jun-09, 17:40
Must agree with Top Cat[evil];)

phil1958
09-Jun-09, 19:26
i ate there not long ago and i must say even tho it was one of my favourite places it has incresed its prices and it is slowly going down hill it needs a refurbishment staff were nice and fire cosy but wont be back since last time sorry till its cleaned up..sorry....:~(

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jun-09, 20:50

The mucky table Im sure if you had pointed it out to a member of staff they would have cleaned it immediately. If they missed a spot as sometimes these things happen a quick word would have rectified it.:)

If the food was that bad then you wouldnt have wanted a larger plate now would you ;)

Wee sparkle had her eighteenth birthday party in The Smiddy last weekend and it was excellent. The food was great and the kids all had a brilliant time. The staff handled it all perfectly and I for one was more than happy to hand a large bunch of teenagers over to them and have them look after them for the evening. I can assure you it will be worth every penny.

I find the food perfect and the price is in line with the quality and portion.

If you want cheaper there is Weatherspoons where there is a distinct lack of quality and amount, you get what you pay for.

The Smiddy isnt one of the most modern brand new pubs that you can find, air conditioning and so on.............. however it has individual character. Where else can you go for something to eat and have a step into the past with quant reminders of how it used to be hanging around. It was after all an old blacksmiths and some of the equipment is still there.

Its different.

Some people will like it and some wont, each to their own. :)

I personally like it. One of the few places you can still go and be served 'real' chips.

katarina
10-Jun-09, 21:46
well i've always enjoyed the food there but i haven't been there for awhile right enough.

Dynamic Sounds
10-Jun-09, 21:52
I haven't actually eaten there, but have been in a few times with "work", and have often wished I came earlier and eaten my dinner first.

The staff and the owners, IMHO, are good, provide a good service, and are a laugh. I like the old stlye bar/pub feel. Never been to keen on the clinical look and copy cat that features of chain pubs, and is also making its way into many locals nowadays.

Amy-Winehouse
10-Jun-09, 22:02
We have been there quite a few times over the years and i think the food is first class and when we were last there the staff were spot on and good with my son :D

Alice in Blunderland
10-Jun-09, 22:09
when we were last there the staff were spot on and good with my son :D

I have to agree with you there, they are good with kids. My youngest two have often left with a sweetie from the owner. :)

Mrs Bucket
11-Jun-09, 07:57
I agree it used to be good in fact excellent but right now I say they need to take action and clean things up at bit and get their act together again.