PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Weather

Happy Guy
04-Jun-09, 20:49
With the help and encouragement of Tugmistress, I have set up a weather station at my property at Keiss. This is now linked into Tugmistress's world famous weather website. I must confess that my involvement in the process was more or less limited to making sure her coffee cup didnt run dry, and watching her fingers fly over the keyboard, as I attempted to understand the flow of data and charts that emerged with each keystroke!
Anyway now its possible on her site, to see weather on both the North and East Coasts of Caithness. I am proud to be a small part of it!

kmahon2001
04-Jun-09, 21:01
With the help and encouragement of Tugmistress, I have set up a weather station at my property at Keiss. This is now linked into Tugmistress's world famous weather website. I must confess that my involvement in the process was more or less limited to making sure her coffee cup didnt run dry, and watching her fingers fly over the keyboard, as I attempted to understand the flow of data and charts that emerged with each keystroke!
Anyway now its possible on her site, to see weather on both the North and East Coasts of Caithness. I am proud to be a small part of it!

That sounds like a great idea. :cool: Is the weather station equipment expensive and is it complicated to set up?

Tugmistress
04-Jun-09, 21:02
you are more than welcome :)

anyone else wanna join in? lol

Tugmistress
04-Jun-09, 21:03
That sounds like a great idea. :cool: Is the weather station equipment expensive and is it complicated to set up?

cost approximately £170 including uploading software for station, setting up easy with a compass and knowledge of how to do up bolts and nuts and screws and a little spare time :)

kmahon2001
04-Jun-09, 21:19

I'd love to. Where do I get the equipment and how do I get involved? I'm only about 6 or 7 miles from Scrabster, but I'm inland, so the weather can be different to on the coast.

Tugmistress
04-Jun-09, 21:22
I'd love to. Where do I get the equipment and how do I get involved? I'm only about 6 or 7 miles from Scrabster, but I'm inland, so the weather can be different to on the coast.

Hi,
the station i run is this one (http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/item--LaCrosse-weather-station--WS2350.html), which is also the one HG runs too now :) the software is a download and about $70 US. (wdisplay32)

if you're interested after having a look and want to upload on to the net somewhere and don't mind leaving the computer running 24/7 to upload then send me a pm and i will either come see you (or vice versa) or i can give you a ring when convenient, you're also welcome to come have a look at my set up :)

seadog
04-Jun-09, 21:26
;) I thought you were ment to be taking it easy Tugs!!:lol:

kmahon2001
04-Jun-09, 21:32
Hi,
the station i run is this one (http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/item--LaCrosse-weather-station--WS2350.html), which is also the one HG runs too now :) the software is a download and about $70 US. (wdisplay32)

if you're interested after having a look and want to upload on to the net somewhere and don't mind leaving the computer running 24/7 to upload then send me a pm and i will either come see you (or vice versa) or i can give you a ring when convenient, you're also welcome to come have a look at my set up :)

Thanks for the info. I see there are all sorts of different weather stations on that site. Will have a good look at them all before deciding. :D

Stefan
04-Jun-09, 22:19
I was thinking of having one too, but I am not sure if the dial up speed will cope with the uploads and the solar panels with the power demand of the netbook.
I am at Shurrery.

Tugmistress
04-Jun-09, 22:29
;) I thought you were ment to be taking it easy Tugs!!:lol:

haha i am! i have to keep myself occupied though or i'll be stir crazy by the time i see you on sunday ;)

Tugmistress
04-Jun-09, 22:30
I was thinking of having one too, but I am not sure if the dial up speed will cope with the uploads and the solar panels with the power demand of the netbook.
I am at Shurrery.

that's something i have absolutely no idea about sorry :confused
maybe some kind orger (Lazytown?) may be able to answer :D

Mr P Cannop
04-Jun-09, 22:42

can i come up and see your set up please ??

lazytown
05-Jun-09, 15:44
I am at Shurrery.

that's something i have absolutely no idea about sorry :confused
maybe some kind orger (Lazytown?) may be able to answer :D

You may be able to get away with uploading the data every hour or two. Based on a 56k modem connection you are looking at approx 4 - 5 mins upload time.
Don't think solar panels work to well at night though :lol:.

jambo
06-Jun-09, 13:27
on the keiss one is the wind direction right as it is showing southeast and wind is northeast.

Stefan
06-Jun-09, 15:14
You may be able to get away with uploading the data every hour or two. Based on a 56k modem connection you are looking at approx 4 - 5 mins upload time.
Don't think solar panels work to well at night though :lol:.

4-5 minutes upload should be fine until I get broadband (if ever).

I have 3 x 105ah batteries connected to 3 x 13W solar panels. I would need to check what the netbook uses with the lid shut and fully charged. Might get away with running it all day. Not at night though until I get my wind turbine up.

Tugmistress
06-Jun-09, 15:27
on the keiss one is the wind direction right as it is showing southeast and wind is northeast.

i'm going over this evening with my compass to set it up properly, i know the direction is out by around 90 degrees at a guess but HG didn't have a compass at the time but we will correct that this evening :D

Happy Guy
06-Jun-09, 16:23

My thanks to both Jambo for pointing out my error in guesstimating which was east! ( although Tugs had already spotted it!) and of course to tugs and her compass, who are coming to 'point me in the right direction'!

However, I am encouraged to know the someone, at least, is looking at it! Thank you!!

Tugmistress
06-Jun-09, 20:32

all sorted now Jambo :D

now working on a webcam feed from the keiss site ! :lol:

Tugmistress
06-Jun-09, 20:33
My thanks to both Jambo for pointing out my error in guesstimating which was east! ( although Tugs had already spotted it!) and of course to tugs and her compass, who are coming to 'point me in the right direction'!

However, I am encouraged to know the someone, at least, is looking at it! Thank you!!

Glad you are happy HG :D
It'll all come together eventually!

JAWS
07-Jun-09, 10:05
i'm going over this evening with my compass to set it up properly, i know the direction is out by around 90 degrees at a guess but HG didn't have a compass at the time but we will correct that this evening :D
Take a real watch, that's one with a round face with numbers on it and real hands on it, point the hour hand towards the sun and midway between the hand and twelve o'clock is due south. Don't forget to adjust for BST and don't bother if it's dark because the sun ain't there.
It’s near enough for most things if you haven’t go a compass handy.

And no, before anybody asks, it doesn't work with those new fangled digital thingamabobs. :lol:

Tugmistress
07-Jun-09, 12:09
thanks jaws, never knew that! - i have a 'real' watch that i wear but as the windy thing uses an east west align it would still be guess work lol

anyway, it's done and running and uploading to the scottish weather network site too now :)

Well Done Happy Guy :D

JAWS
10-Jun-09, 04:34
I was going to suggest putting a stick in the ground and checking when the shadow is shortes to find due north but thought better of it. :lol: