PDA

View Full Version : D-Day Remembrance

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Jun-09, 15:27
Spare a thought, please, for those who lived and died fighting for our freedom during the Second World War on Saturday. :)

Rheghead
04-Jun-09, 15:34
I will thanks but I think we should have just one Remembrance day per year for all conflicts on November 11th. Just my 2p. :(

Tighsonas4
04-Jun-09, 17:33
how much thought nowdays is given, it was make or break at that particular time or hitler would have been over here tony

Alice in Blunderland
04-Jun-09, 20:02
I with my children will stop and think for a momment and remember pepole and relatives who gave the ultimate sacrifice so that we may have life as we know it now. :)

As the years pass its sad to say that less people hold dear the sacrifice that was made. :(

Lest we forget...............................

Each
04-Jun-09, 21:41
Visited Normandy lasted summer with the kids and was very moved by the history. It wasn't something I was particualrly interested in before - but it really hit home when I was there.

Its amazing how our perceptions have changed - 250,000 died in the first four days of the landings. Ordinary people gone in the blink of an eye.

The enormity of the sacrifice really puts the media response to some more recent conflicts into context.

achingale
05-Jun-09, 14:58
I always do as I share the birthday with its anniversary so it is a double edged sword. My grandfather was there and was one of the lucky ones but his close friend was killed two hours in.

Rheghead
06-Jun-09, 22:43
Its amazing how our perceptions have changed - 250,000 died in the first four days of the landings.

That seems an awful lot, have you got that right?:confused

Tristan
07-Jun-09, 09:46
From http://www.ddaymuseum.co.uk/faq.htm it seems new information is coming to light but Allied deaths on the day seem to be be between 2500 and 10000. Over 425,000 Allied and German troops were killed, wounded or went missing during the Battle of Normandy.

I think the main reason for so much interest this year is that it is a significant year (65 years) and it is unlikely that veterans will be there for 70.

Each
08-Jun-09, 13:45
Got the figure from a leaflet at one of the sites.
Within the first four days of the landings 250,000 died (allied and german)
By the time paris was liberated 4 weeks later that had risen to 425,000.

The figures were so big it stuck in my mind. - See below.

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/T/timeteam/2004_dday_deaths.html

"Altogether, more than 425,000 Allied and German troops were killed, wounded or went missing during the Battle of Normandy. Allied casualties totalled around 209,000, including 37,000 dead from the ground forces and almost 17,000 from the airborne forces.

The Allied casualties included 83,045 from 21st Army Group (British, Canadian and Polish ground forces) and 125,847 from the US ground forces. Around 200,000 German troops were killed or wounded and a similar number captured. Normandy's war cemeteries contain the graves of some 110,000 soldiers, including 77,866 Germans, 9,386 Americans, 17,769 British, 5,002 Canadians and 650 Poles. Additionally, an estimated 15-20,000 French civilians were killed, mainly by Allied bombing."

oldmarine
08-Jun-09, 18:48
Some good postings here. I do hope that we can all learn from history.

Gene Hunt
08-Jun-09, 20:54
One example of why its important to remember. I have been here many years ago and it is a truly humbling experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zUE_n5aX4o

percy toboggan
08-Jun-09, 20:58
how much thought nowdays is given, it was make or break at that particular time or hitler would have been over here tony

Most unlikely that in June '44 Hitler would have been in any position to invade - check your history books - if you have any.

percy toboggan
08-Jun-09, 21:03
We should never forget the sacrifices of ordinary men who became extra-ordinary in the very hour it was needed. Not all heroes, yet all heroic in their service and their duty to their country in its hour of need.

Most of those who remain were the very youngest at the time - their lives perhaps defined, and changed forever by the Battle for Normandy and the subsequent push to Berlin.

We owe them everything - including the right to freedom of thought and speech.
Talking to old soldiers is usually a privilege.