PDA

View Full Version : What is your religion?

crayola
11-Mar-06, 02:04
We've heard a lot about religion this week. What is your religion?

Moira
11-Mar-06, 02:42
Good to see you back Crayola

I've voted "Christian - Church of Scotland"

crayola
11-Mar-06, 02:54
Thanks Moira.

By the way, this isn't an open poll, so no-one can see how you voted.

Moira
11-Mar-06, 03:13
Thanks Moira.

By the way, this isn't an open poll, so no-one can see how you voted.

I did note this before I voted. Just thought I would post with how I had voted to open up the thread. I'm not sure that I'll post the "Why's & What for's" behind my religious beliefs here - that remains to be decided - later ;)

spurtle
11-Mar-06, 03:43
I believe in life before death therefore have no standard religion.What will be will be.My take is that life can be rubbish for some and not for others.How can anyone think there is something out there that cares when so many awful things happen?Sounds unfair -well it is.

willowbankbear
11-Mar-06, 08:31
I see a certain Atheist religion taking the lead,Doesnt surprise me in the slightest though, anyone else?

Not sure about this 1, can we choose which 1 we,d like to be or the 1 we are?Well in that case Im...........No Im not telling you coz it may start a brawl, football religion & politics ,war coming up on the horizon

angela5
11-Mar-06, 09:01
Not surprised in the slightest willowbankbear..:)

inte
11-Mar-06, 10:07
I have voted Muslim and my wife voted christian as we are both orgers as you would call us.Neither of us are what you would call practising but this is the religions we were individualy brought up in.:)

BazzaG
11-Mar-06, 10:27
I see a certain Atheist religion taking the lead,Doesnt surprise me in the slightest though, anyone else?

Think ure spot on there Willowbankbear

brandy
11-Mar-06, 10:28
im a baptist myself.. but do not agree with everything my religion teaches.. *smiles* not surprised though with how the majority of votes are going..

crayola
11-Mar-06, 10:59
Regarding "Eastern (Buddhist, Hindu, etc)", I shouldn't have added "Please state which". That was remiss of me. Please ignore.

Maybe I shouldn't have classified Hindu as Eastern, but I was running short of options and I thought we might have more Muslims so I gave them them their own slot. I put Hindus in with Buddhists because they aren't monotheistic religions. Again, that was for simplicity, or the KISS principle as phoenix might say.

I thought of including "scientist" but I thought I'd be consistent with my post on that thread and I didn't want to appear facetious.

cuddlepop
11-Mar-06, 14:18
Crayola,i dont believe in one single religion ,so where do i fit in.
i have respect for everyones belief and believe no ones is superior.
Not a practicing Wicca,but feel i lean more towards that side.
Am i right in thinking its one of the oldest forms of religion:grin:

katarina
11-Mar-06, 14:26
I'm just a don't know who keeps an open mind about most things. What does that come under? I looked up the meaning of agnostic, but that's not me either. If I HAD to chose a religion, I would say the church of Jesus christ of later day saints makes most sense to me. But I don't actively practice anything, tho I do go to church occassionally - feel very peaceful and uplifted there. (church of Scotland)

ice box
11-Mar-06, 14:28
I just believe in my self and none other the rest is just mambo jumbo but thats my opinion

scotsboy
11-Mar-06, 16:26
It would be good to see the breakdown of what those who entered Agnostic or Athiest "were" or were brought up in - I would hazard a gues that most were Presbyterian........it seems to be the natural progression of Presbyterianism that by empowering people is its own demise.

knightofeth
11-Mar-06, 16:38
I put agnostic. The easy choice, lol. I think about it a lot though. Especially after reading some threads on here.

Drutt
11-Mar-06, 16:43
It would be good to see the breakdown of what those who entered Agnostic or Athiest "were" or were brought up in - I would hazard a gues that most were Presbyterian........it seems to be the natural progression of Presbyterianism that by empowering people is its own demise.
Well certainly in my case, you'd be absolutely right.

Shalom
11-Mar-06, 16:55
Crayola, you left out the sects! i.e. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormon, Christian Scientists, 7th Day Adventist etc. I think we have at least a JW on here if not any of the others?!

scotsboy
11-Mar-06, 16:57
I thought you may have spotted the ommision of the Jewish faith Shalom.

canuck
11-Mar-06, 17:19
........it seems to be the natural progression of Presbyterianism that by empowering people is its own demise.

I think that all the time.

Saveman
11-Mar-06, 18:06
That is a whole lot of different belief systems! What a variety......

phoenix
11-Mar-06, 18:44
Crayola I can't find a category that I fit into so I can't vote.... I often wondered what was wrong with me :( I said in a another thread that Im supposed to be a Protestant.........how I came to be one Im unsure of, someone must have told me that I was one a long time ago.....I dont even know what a Protestant is .. I always thought that it must be someone who doth Protest? :confused: Anyways as far as Im concerned I dont need a religion to live my life, religions confuse me, I try to let my own spirit guide me only thing is my head gets in the way a lot of the time. :o My husband hes a Catholic......then again thats what he was told he was. He really takes nothing at all to do with Catholism though.........you should see his face anytime he has to go to a church for any reason, not a pretty picture! Both our sons were brought up with "None" religion, and so far theyve managed fine without it. I like to think that we are Human Beings doing whatever it is that we have to do.........just living our lives.........plain and simple! :o)

badger
11-Mar-06, 20:43
Crayola, you left out the sects! i.e. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormon, Christian Scientists, 7th Day Adventist etc. I think we have at least a JW on here if not any of the others?!

That could be quite a list. Wonder how many variations of the main religions and non-religions there are? Does anyone know of a comprehensive list? Crayola's was a pretty good start.

nicnak
11-Mar-06, 21:39
Well my one of my neighbours calls me a witch amongst other things but at least on this one they are right and I am proud of what I am.
Ps good to see you back Crayola

Shalom
11-Mar-06, 21:54
I thought you may have spotted the ommision of the Jewish faith Shalom.

No, I didn't spot that one! But then, I'm not Jewish! (I'm Gentile, Protestant, Baptist, Evangelical, Born again...... Hallelujah!!)

crayola
12-Mar-06, 01:59
I thought you may have spotted the ommision of the Jewish faith Shalom.Oops. I meant to include Jewish. I must have forgotten. Sorry.

I thought 10 options would be enough and chose what to put in them accordingly. I wanted to include all the major religions and end up with a table which had at least one or two votes for every option. Obviously I couldn't include all the sects.

"None of your business" was an afterthought. This was originally going to be "none" or "don't know". I suppose "none of the above" would have been better than "don't know". Oh well, I don't think I did too badly for a first shot.

I think the results are really interesting. I didn't expect "atheist" to score nearly 40% and I'm surpirsed that we have 6 orgers who are "Wiccan or other Earth-based religion".

Thanks to everyone for taking part. Let's keep them coming in.

Rheghead
12-Mar-06, 02:01
Oops. I meant to include Jewish. I must have forgotten. Sorry.

Stick 'em in with the Muslims, I read somewhere that they are genetically off the same lineage anyway.:roll:

wickerinca
12-Mar-06, 04:49
Stick 'em in with the Muslims, I read somewhere that they are genetically off the same lineage anyway.:roll:

Can't stop laughing rheghead. Great one!!!!.... so un-pc and I love it!!

wickerinca
12-Mar-06, 04:51
Think that I'll be a Pagan..easy to spell!!....brought up as a presby though...suppose my vote will have to be Wiccan etc.

Great to see you back Crayola!!! How was your trip??!!lol

abalone
12-Mar-06, 05:34
Although my grounding is Christian I'm more inclined to Spiritualism.Those are the churches I usually go to.If there was such a religion as reincarnationism I would be that.

badger
12-Mar-06, 14:34
Although my grounding is Christian I'm more inclined to Spiritualism.Those are the churches I usually go to.If there was such a religion as reincarnationism I would be that.

Plenty of choice for you here - http://www.comparativereligion.com/reincarnation.html

landmarker
12-Mar-06, 14:38
I have no truck with organised and hiearchical religions. Sometimes I wish I did.

If I were to follow any religion then druidism is the one which has made the most sense to me when I skimmed the subject a few years ago. I guess 'agnostic' would sum me up. I know it's a pathetic hedging of bets but it's the best I can offer until I know differently.

Rheghead
12-Mar-06, 14:40
If the atheists , agnostics and the wiccans join together then we would have a majority, then we could impose a fundamental atheocracy...:roll: :p

scotsboy
12-Mar-06, 15:24
Surely atheists and agnostics are diametrically opposed?

2little2late
12-Mar-06, 15:26
No time for religion.

Rheghead
12-Mar-06, 15:35
Surely atheists and agnostics are diametrically opposed?

How come?

Agnostics are just atheists on Monday to Friday then believers at the weekend. Unless you were getting confused with Gnostics?

Or is your point semantic?

landmarker
12-Mar-06, 17:41
How come?

Agnostics are just atheists on Monday to Friday then believers at the weekend. Unless you were getting confused with Gnostics?

Or is your point semantic?

You are joking aren't you?
I've already pinned my colours to the agnostic mast.
Monday to Friday though I often think 'there must be summat better than this'

Weekend's I'm so busy relaxing or enjoying myself I dont really contemplate such matters.

I've decided you were joking Rheghead and power to your elbow. We could all do with a laugh.

scotsboy
12-Mar-06, 18:20
For me, and I could be wrong. Atheists have examined the evidence and don’t believe, Agnostics want to believe but have not been convinced……..as I say I could be wrong.

Whitewater
12-Mar-06, 18:59
I was brought up in the Salvation Army and Church of Scotland, and must say that the only Church, or should I say movement which has not astounded me is the Salvation Army, I have a lot of admiration for them. It does a lot of good work all around the world, particularly in places where our so called superior Churches feel it beneath their dignity to venture.

Having said that, I'm also into a lot of reading through various authors in an attempt to find out what the actual truth is. It has been rather surprising to see how we have been hoodwinked throughout the ages.

I'm still openminded.

fred
12-Mar-06, 19:53
For me, and I could be wrong. Atheists have examined the evidence and don’t believe, Agnostics want to believe but have not been convinced……..as I say I could be wrong.

Not quite. Agnostics are people who have no beliefs, presumably because they don't want to have any beliefs. Atheists do have a belief, they believe God does not exist which is just as much a belief as believing God does exist.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
12-Mar-06, 22:33
Just an auld fashioned Christian fae the Church o' Ecosse.Baptized,went to Sunday School never went back again.I've always wondered what this makes me?

A lazy Christian who cannae be bothered getting oot o' his bed on a Sunday morning or an athiest in the making!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

crayola
13-Mar-06, 00:05
Think that I'll be a Pagan..easy to spell!!....brought up as a presby though...suppose my vote will have to be Wiccan etc.

Great to see you back Crayola!!! How was your trip??!!lolThank you. :)

My trip was cold. Too cold. Almost much snow as Glasgow 'eday.

You a witch too then? ;)

Wiccarinca
(last week)

crayola
13-Mar-06, 00:49
Although my grounding is Christian I'm more inclined to Spiritualism.Those are the churches I usually go to.If there was such a religion as reincarnationism I would be that.Sorry for not listing Spiritualism or reincarnationism but I couldn't include everything. I'll add them in my next life. :)

Porshiepoo is an expert on reincarnation. Do you know her?

wickerinca
13-Mar-06, 01:42
Thank you. :)

My trip was cold. Too cold. Almost much snow as Glasgow 'eday.

You a witch too then? ;)

Wiccarinca
(last week)

So my husband keeps on telling me!

crayola
13-Mar-06, 02:09
So my husband keeps on telling me!As if he'd know. :eyes

wickerinca
13-Mar-06, 02:20
As if he'd know. :eyes

Well this is true!

Good to see you back!

crayola
14-Mar-06, 01:50
This gets more interesting by the day. Right now we have two sets of two roughly-equal classes of religion in terms of votes:-

Christians on 30
Atheists on 28
Agnostics on 9
Wiccans/Earth religions on 8I couldn't have predicted this.

I was told today that I should classify sets of religions as "believers" and "brights" but I'm not sure where we Wiccans and Pagans and our like-minded friends fit into this scheme. I think we should be "brights" but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?

goldenguernsey
14-Mar-06, 01:57
A force is all about us, an energy so strong.
We must all be receptive, to what is going on.
We all can feel its presence when we understand our role.
For some it’s second nature, already in your soul.
For others it is different, to see is to believe,
And once they start to see it, to those things then they cleave.
They feel a sense of wonder, a joy unknown before.
A glow of real contentment, serenity and more.
And all of this within us, each and every one,
Of things long past forgotten, a time that’s now long gone.
A glimpse of things in harmony, a sign of Mother Earth.
Nothing has more impact than the miracle of birth.
There’s nothing more spectacular than nature at her best,
She’ll show us what to aim for, then put us to the test.
But all is finely balanced, and all things come to pass.
First is Mother Nature, then Mother Nature last.

goldenguernsey
14-Mar-06, 02:04
Somehow I always knew that in the greater scheme of things,
Our happiness was always at the root of all love brings.
To see our life before us and the progress we have made,
And then look back and realise the price we all have paid.
For every man makes sacrifice, and gives up of himself,
And every woman doubly so, her children are her wealth.
Her primary investment, before all else on earth,
For these are her endowments, and have been so since birth.
And like insurance, come rewards, with bonuses throughout.
At each and every stage of life a windfall comes about.
Until they reach maturity and then you feel you’re done,
Your task complete, it’s quite a feat, and so it is for some.
But life has other tasks for some, and one is just creation.
And so it goes to predispose, another generation.
You may be feeling old and like us all be getting weary,
Your eyes be growing dim but there are things that you see clearly.
That all of your investments are at last now bearing fruit,
And every generation travels back through one great root.
It keeps us all together, and in the scheme of things,
Happiness again is at the root of all love brings.

crayola
14-Mar-06, 02:07
Did you write those yourself goldenguernsey?

Rheghead
14-Mar-06, 02:12
I was told today that I should classify sets of religions as "believers" and "brights" but I'm not sure where we Wiccans and Pagans and our like-minded friends fit into this scheme. I think we should be "brights" but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?

I have been reading a book called, 'The Modern Pagan: How to live a natural lifestyle in the 21st century' by Brian Day. He claims you can be a pagan-catholic, pagan-atheist etc as paganism is a culture, not a religion.

I like the book, it appears I may be a pagan-atheist:o :grin:

crayola
14-Mar-06, 02:26
I know Day. He is more "Good Life" than "Good Book" and his Spirit is lacking but he's getting our message over so I forgive him.

goldenguernsey
14-Mar-06, 02:49
Yes I did.

goldenguernsey
14-Mar-06, 02:58
The Willow Tree

I’ve seen a Spanish lady, who dances by the lake,
I’ve seen her when I’ve been asleep but also when awake.
Her skirts are swirling round her feet, and over and about,
This lady and her ease with life will never live without,
The breeze that brings her movement and the early morning light,
I’ve seen her, she’s spectacular, natures pure delight.
Everything is gentle every movement carries grace,
She’s standing strong, a quiet strength is shown within her face.
And elegance in all she does, in every move she makes,
Not an easy thing to do, but she’s got what it takes.
With all this world’s thrown at her, and tried to knock her down,
She’s been blown this way, then blown that, but all the while she’s known,
Nothing here will move her, for she has set her roots,
She shows us things and teaches us what can’t be had from books.
Her underlying message, is tolerance to all,
She gives a little every day but never will she fall.
And as in life we have those times when nothing’s going right,
It’s easy for us all to get depressed, bemoan our plight,
And most of us are rigid and fast within the trap,
Because we cannot bend at all it’s those of us who snap.
It’s better to be flexible, not set within our ways,
Just watch the Spanish Lady how she moves and how she sways.
The message from this lady, to the likes of you and me,
Is “Let life’s wind blow over, and bend like the willow tree.”

goldenguernsey
14-Mar-06, 03:01
The Herons

Herons

There’s something very peaceful, just as the sun goes down,
There’s something almost spiritual that spreads across the ground.
The hillside seems a glowing, all bathed in sunset gold.
An imprint in your memory and in your heart to hold.
And just about this time of day we see the Heron fly.
At the fading of the daylight, him and his mate come by.
A priceless glimpse of nature, of magic you can feel.
Something deep and wonderful, the two of them, surreal.
Returning to their evening roost, following the stream.
Paired for life together now, inseparable, a team.
Gliding oh so graceful, on huge slow motion wings,
Long thin legs like bits of thread, such fascinating things.
A privilege to see them both at each end of the day,
I hate to think I’ve missed them as they pass here on their way.
My life is surely richer, with them as part of me,
I only wish that everyone could see what I can see.
And often in the mornings, as mists begin to rise,
The sunlight seems much sharper and I have to rub my eyes.
And watching from the window, there go my Herons, two.
Long may they thrive and stay alive, as lifelong partners true.

goldenguernsey
14-Mar-06, 03:18
Take a look around……….

We may have new technology, an electronic age.
To what the future has to bring, none on earth can gauge.
21st the century with all its bright ideals,
Looking like a Christmas box, as good as gold it feels.
But just a sec, let’s look about, let’s all re-read the script.
It isn’t all that good in parts, the scales are somewhat tipped.
While you and me have food enough and take it all for granted,
Somewhere in the back of me the seeds of doubt are planted.
Not everyone has what we’ve got, and some are so without,
And so take root and prosper now, those dreaded seeds of doubt.
The basics with us all each day are absent for so many.
In our world of plenty here, there really are not any,
Who go without, who suffer, as I know plenty do,
In other parts, courageous hearts, who struggle on and through.
And all I want to say to you and make you understand,
If someone reaches out to you and offers you their hand,
And opens up their heart and shows you all that they can give,
We’re all on this same planet and we have the right to live.
All equal in possession, from the moment we are born,
The spirit of the universe, from natures ancient dawn.
Waste not want not, oh how true, if only others had,
The bulk of what we throw away, they’d only be too glad.
So think about it next time friend, before you waste some more,
That others would be grateful, those whose lives are not so sure,
People living on the edge, scratch for grains of rice,
Living desperate, hand to mouth, it can’t be very nice.
Everything on offer, consider what we’ve bought,
Consider what we’ve thrown away, what have we all been taught?

katarina
14-Mar-06, 08:48
Wonderful poems, enjoyed them all. Thankyou.

phoenix
14-Mar-06, 12:15
What about Jedis? I recall during a census I think it was, it was said that if so many people {cant remember how many it was} put down Jedi as their religion then offically it would become a religion! [smirk] As far as I remember it did become a religion? We all put down Jedi just for the sheer fun of it! [para]

phoenix
14-Mar-06, 12:31
Loved the poems Goldenguernsey......especially "The Willow"! :o) I love Willow trees, almost every time I take a trip to the garden centre I come back with one! :grin: Got six of them so far! Theyre apparently good for absorbing radiation, if I recall rightly werent they going to plant some up at Dounreay at one time? Theyre good also in the garden where theres water/streams running underground! :o) Believe they play a part also in Wiccan Religion. I copied something of the internet once about the stories attached to them, cant remember what I did with it :o.........must look it out.....

Saveman
14-Mar-06, 15:30
So it looks like spirituality of one sort or another has topped this poll.

phoenix
14-Mar-06, 15:45
The Herons

Herons

There’s something very peaceful, just as the sun goes down,
There’s something almost spiritual that spreads across the ground.
The hillside seems a glowing, all bathed in sunset gold.
An imprint in your memory and in your heart to hold.
And just about this time of day we see the Heron fly.
At the fading of the daylight, him and his mate come by.
A priceless glimpse of nature, of magic you can feel.
Something deep and wonderful, the two of them, surreal.
Returning to their evening roost, following the stream.
Paired for life together now, inseparable, a team.
Gliding oh so graceful, on huge slow motion wings,
Long thin legs like bits of thread, such fascinating things.
A privilege to see them both at each end of the day,
I hate to think I’ve missed them as they pass here on their way.
My life is surely richer, with them as part of me,
I only wish that everyone could see what I can see.
And often in the mornings, as mists begin to rise,
The sunlight seems much sharper and I have to rub my eyes.
And watching from the window, there go my Herons, two.
Long may they thrive and stay alive, as lifelong partners true.

This reminded of my husband .......he used to say that we are like a pair of Geese........together for life! When a flock of wild geese fly over he tries to count them to make sure theres an even number, if theres not he goes all sad.........in saying that there was a time when he used to go out and shoot them :eek: he doesnt do that anymore :) Just thought Id say.............:o

cuddlepop
14-Mar-06, 16:11
Last year we found a dead Heron washed up on the shore.His/her mate was just standing there further down the beach.Made me all sad.:cry:
Lovely poem Goldenguernsey,are you from there or is it a favourite place.Just asking because my late father was from there :)

Julia
14-Mar-06, 16:49
I'm an athiest but I do believe in life after death.

Drutt
14-Mar-06, 21:26
So where do you plan on going after death? :confused:

Oddquine
14-Mar-06, 21:35

I voted agnostic, because I'm not sure I'm an atheist. :o

I was brought up Church of Scotland in as much as I was sent to Sunday School, but I wasn't baptised until I was seventeen, joined the Church at eighteen, parted company with it in my late twenties and haven't infilcted religion on my children.......apart from having them christened.

katarina
14-Mar-06, 21:59

Is this possible?

Rheghead
14-Mar-06, 22:06
Is this possible?

Yes it is.

If I die before you then you're still alive, aren't you?;)

Marty McFly
14-Mar-06, 22:06
Indeed, is it possible?

I'm an athiest too, but reckon i'll be going no-where when my time is up!

Saveman
14-Mar-06, 22:08
Is this possible?

Anything is possible on the Org....

;)

crayola
15-Mar-06, 01:08
Yes I did.I thought so. They're super. :D

The fastest growing religion on the Org on this day is "None of your business!" :lol:

katarina
15-Mar-06, 09:55
I wish you'd included a 'don't know' in your pol Crayola. Cos to be honest, that's what i think most of us are.

Julia
15-Mar-06, 11:11
Is this possible?

When I die I expect to go on and do something, I don't believe I will take my last breath, close my eyes and that will be that. My spirit will survive.

Saveman
15-Mar-06, 11:31
When I die I expect to go on and do something, I don't believe I will take my last breath, close my eyes and that will be that. My spirit will survive.

"Hello Julie, nice to see you....is it heaven or hell for you today?"

"Well I'm not sure, heaven I think."

"Well Hell's just down the stairs to your left if you change your mind. Heaven is up the stairs to your right. Just look for the pearly gates you can't miss them!"

"Actually, probably not Heaven because I don't believe in God."

"You don't believe in what?

"Emm....nothing, up the stairs to the right you say?"

;) :p

Dinnae worry Julie, none of the above is gonna happen.

goldenguernsey
15-Mar-06, 23:47
Hi Cuddlepop, I'm from the North east of England, a spot known as Upper Teesdale approx 1000 ft above sea level and used to see the herons every day, magic!

crayola
19-Mar-06, 15:06
I wish you'd included a 'don't know' in your pol Crayola. Cos to be honest, that's what i think most of us are.I agree that I should have included a "don't know", but I disagree with your claim that most of us are "don't knows".

crayola
19-Mar-06, 15:06

When I die I expect to go on and do something, I don't believe I will take my last breath, close my eyes and that will be that. My spirit will survive.How very unusual. What exactly do you believe in Julia? And why?

crayola
19-Mar-06, 15:12
Things have quietened down on this poll, so let's summarise again.

We still have two sets of two very similar classes of religion in terms of votes:-

Christians on 33
Atheists on 30
Agnostics on 10
Wiccans/Earth religions on 9Who knows where the "don't knows" would have come in?

Thanks for talking part everyone. I've learned a lot from this thread. What's more, we've managed to discuss religion without rants, without serious slagging matches and without petty bickering. This must be a first on the Org!

Gleber2
19-Mar-06, 19:59
Got no religion, it ain't my pigeon,
There's no religion big enough for me,
Got no religion, just give me a smidgeon,
Of an illegal substance to set my spirit free.

Jesus didn't die for my sins,
He died for his own,
There is no religion
Big enough to take me home,
Got no religion, it aint my pigeon,
No religion big enough for me.

golach
19-Mar-06, 21:11

He died for his own,
There is no religion

I love that!!!!!!....I wish it could be set to music :evil

landmarker
19-Mar-06, 21:35
Isn't 'don't know' the same as 'Agnostic' ?
If not I've been barking up the wrong tree for years.

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 21:37
If not I've been barking up the wrong tree for years.Thats what i thought too!:confused:

landmarker
19-Mar-06, 21:37

He died for his own,
There is no religion

Sounds like an egocentric claptrap calypso to me.
Sorry. No offence.

Gleber2
19-Mar-06, 22:32
How could I take offence from some-one who swears by the Beatles? I wrote it, so it must be egotistical and it is set to a reggae beat, not a calypso.

landmarker
19-Mar-06, 23:04
How could I take offence from some-one who swears by the Beatles? I wrote it, so it must be egotistical and it is set to a reggae beat, not a calypso.

Well, I did sense that West Indian rhythm.
The ego need not pervade everything one writes.
I suggest you look at some of the Beatles work in that regard.
Much self doubt creeping in there, especially in their middle period.

The rest of the world might be wrong gleeber me auld cock, maybe the fab four were a bunch of pretentious cretins. I have yet to be persuaded.

katarina
19-Mar-06, 23:42

I thought so to until I looked it up oin the dictionary. It says ' a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known about God,
Is that the same as don't know? I don't feel it is quite...

Gleber2
19-Mar-06, 23:44
If, by setting ones personal ideals and beliefs to music, one can be considered egotistical then Mea Culpa. To be considered Gods and to find their own feet of clay must have been egoshattering.BTW,I'm Gleber2 not GLEEBER.

crayola
20-Mar-06, 01:12
I thought so to until I looked it up oin the dictionary. It says ' a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known about God,
Is that the same as don't know? I don't feel it is quite...Thank you katarina.

The most interesting thing about most self-proclaimed agnostics is that they don't know what agnostic is supposed to mean. :lol:

There is an alternative "don't know" meaning and I think that's what most people really mean when they say they're agnostic.

golach
20-Mar-06, 10:43
Landmarker, I am a declared Agnostic, so I am a "dont know" and definately a Dont Care a Hoot one way or another. RELIGION, you can keep it in any form, I dont want it.

crayola
21-Mar-06, 01:14
Methinks golach protesteth too much. He's a prime candidate for conversion. Which way will he go? To Jesus or to Mother Earth? Or maybe to the Buddha?

As they say, the converts are always the worst. ;)

golach
21-Mar-06, 10:12
Methinks golach protesteth too much. He's a prime candidate for conversion. Which way will he go? To Jesus or to Mother Earth? Or maybe to the Buddha?

As they say, the converts are always the worst. ;)
Aye Right!!!! you will not get me to convert. Keep trying though :lol:

sjwahwah
24-Mar-06, 22:18
You don't have a check box for Anti-theist so...

Anti-Theist (Check!)

Gleber2
26-Mar-06, 04:00
I've converted to Gaffa-ism. The Holy Gaffa Tape is black on one side, white on the other and holds the Universe together.

JAWS
26-Mar-06, 04:56
Aye Right!!!! you will not get me to convert. Keep trying though :lol:
Yer no playin in ma rugby team then! :p

crayola
01-Apr-06, 01:51
I've converted to Gaffa-ism. The Holy Gaffa Tape is black on one side, white on the other and holds the Universe together.There's always one who can't resist the urge to be silly in a serious religious debate. Is it always a man? :~(

fred
01-Apr-06, 09:39
There's always one who can't resist the urge to be silly in a serious religious debate. Is it always a man? :~(

I didn't think he was being silly, I thought the tape being black on one side and white on the other was a reference to yin and yan, good and evil, posative and negative and that he believed that without those two basic forces the universe wouldn't exist, without evil there could be no good, without negative there could be no posative, without the male there could be no female.

Gleber2
01-Apr-06, 13:34
I didn't think he was being silly, I thought the tape being black on one side and white on the other was a reference to yin and yan, good and evil, posative and negative and that he believed that without those two basic forces the universe wouldn't exist, without evil there could be no good, without negative there could be no posative, without the male there could be no female.

Thanks Fred. Sexist Crayola don't like jokes on a serious thread. Religion? Serious? Who could be serious about Wicca and witchcraft, a religion as pointless as the rest.[evil]

golach
04-Apr-06, 14:54
Not that I believe in this kind of rubbish but I did it as a laugh and Im going to come back as a penquin

http://www.reincarnationstation.com/

Cocoa
04-Apr-06, 15:45
so u r back crayola. not plannin' on usin' another orger's name when u rep someone again i hope???

crayola
16-Apr-06, 00:02
I didn't think he was being silly, I thought the tape being black on one side and white on the other was a reference to yin and yan, good and evil, posative and negative and that he believed that without those two basic forces the universe wouldn't exist, without evil there could be no good, without negative there could be no posative, without the male there could be no female.Crikey fred, how did you figure that out? I honestly thought he was just being silly.

Gleber2, I read that you're a man who likes plants. You should join us in our appreciation of Mother Earth and all that grow in her. We have no supernaturals. Wouldn't you fit in well?

Cocoa, it was a little late night joke that apparently wasn't appreciated. It was a wee bit of fun and wasn't meant to cause any offence. Sorry Hon xxx

unicorn
16-Apr-06, 00:10
Awwwwwwwwwww man I am coming back as a bear!!!!!!!!! I'm scared of bears......... I dont wanna be a bear.... I would rather be a penguin.

JAWS
16-Apr-06, 00:17
Awwwwwwwwwww man I am coming back as a bear!!!!!!!!! I'm scared of bears......... I dont wanna be a bear.... I would rather be a penguin.
Oh dear Unicorn, you really are a risk taker. I'm rather partial to the odd Penguin! :D

unicorn
16-Apr-06, 00:20
hmmmmmmmm eaten by jaws or be a bear....thats a tough decision but I dinna lek bears or coo's or camels!!! they all make me run fast..

Gleber2
16-Apr-06, 02:21
What's silly about Gaffaism? Fred, now there's a man of fine understanding. He understands the finer points and he's only a man.

Yes, sister, I love plants. So much so that I would call myself a Shevite. I would even go to jail for my plants.
You're jibe about supernaturals, in my reality, nothing is supernatural, only natural.
I notice, in an earlier post that I sort of referred to witchcraft as a religion as silly as all the rest. Wicca is not a religion but the way it is practised today makes it as silly as the rest.
Unicorn, Golach says he's coming back as a penguin too. You'd better watch yourself.

This my last incarnation.

crayola
16-Apr-06, 02:35
Oh heck, I'm lost here. What exactly is gaffaism? And what is a shevite?

I know the black & white pic with yin and yan but not a lot more. :confused:

Gleber2
16-Apr-06, 02:57
Oh heck, I'm lost here. What exactly is gaffaism? And what is a shevite?

I know the black & white pic with yin and yan but not a lot more. :confused:

Gaffaism is a joke among musicians and others who rely on this wonderful sticky tape to hold everything together and make it work. A Shevite is an Indian Holy Man who has given his life in devotion to the weed and all it is. He is revered among his fellow countrymen as a man of infinite wisdom and a judge who knows the truth at all times. From his own meditations he teaches those who wish to learn and, by smoking with them, is capable of raising their level of conciousness in a way that has no parallel in our society.He owns nothing but his begging bowl, his chillum and the clothes on his back. I am but a humble pupil who has not yet learned to totally give up the comforts of the material world but if the Great Unknown permits, I will get there before I die.
I have no doubt that this post and the one I did on incarnation will further the belief that I am a heeder and will subject me to the ridicule of some of our fellow Orgers. DON'T CARE!!!!

golach
16-Apr-06, 10:14
Gaffaism is a joke among musicians and others who rely on this wonderful sticky tape to hold everything together and make it work. A Shevite is an Indian Holy Man who has given his life in devotion to the weed and all it is. He is revered among his fellow countrymen as a man of infinite wisdom and a judge who knows the truth at all times. From his own meditations he teaches those who wish to learn and, by smoking with them, is capable of raising their level of conciousness in a way that has no parallel in our society.He owns nothing but his begging bowl, his chillum and the clothes on his back. I am but a humble pupil who has not yet learned to totally give up the comforts of the material world but if the Great Unknown permits, I will get there before I die.
I have no doubt that this post and the one I did on incarnation will further the belief that I am a heeder and will subject me to the ridicule of some of our fellow Orgers. DON'T CARE!!!!

Gleber2 I can picture you sitting crossed legged on the floor in a Ghandi like fashion, wearing your Dhoti and dragging on your Beedi, whilst turning your Charkha with one hand and preaching Satyagraha and Ahisma to the masses and the Sahibs.

Gleber2
16-Apr-06, 13:12
Gleber2 I can picture you sitting crossed legged on the floor in a Ghandi like fashion, wearing your Dhoti and dragging on your Beedi, whilst turning your Charka with one hand and preaching Satyagraha and Ahisma to the masses and the Sahibs.

I've been there, bought the T shirt and came home again. But wwwwwwwwwwwwwhat's a charka? Is it a kind of shark.

golach
16-Apr-06, 13:43
I've been there, bought the T shirt and came home again. But wwwwwwwwwwwwwhat's a charka? Is it a kind of shark.
Oh Enlightened one. I thought that you as a devotee of the Mahatma, would have forgiven my typo, it should be a Charkha, or spinning wheel, did the Mahatma no teach you anything ;)

Gleber2
16-Apr-06, 13:54
Oh Enlightened one. I thought that you as a devotee of the Mahatma, would have forgiven my typo, it should be a Charkha, or spinning wheel, did the Mahatma no teach you anything ;)

More than you it would appear. Have another try, you might get the spelling right. Anyway, apart from an admiration for the man, his actions and his politics I have no real interest in Ghandi. He and I, however, learned from the same tradition.:D

Ricco
16-Apr-06, 15:46
I was one of those who weren't too sure about religion; was an atheist once, then agnostic (or perhaps gnostic) until something that happened in Fuerta Ventura some years ago. Long story but it made me realise that we are not alone!:grin:

angela5
11-Jun-06, 19:23
Where did this appear from? it's dated march!:eek:

DrSzin
11-Jun-06, 20:02
Where did this appear from? it's dated march!:eek:The Lord moves in mysterious ways...

angela5
11-Jun-06, 20:09
The Lord moves in mysterious ways...

Full Moon tonight!:lol:

obiron
11-Jun-06, 20:11
Full Moon tonight!:lol:

think that explains it all. hee hee

Ann
11-Jun-06, 22:53
I think if someone votes, it brings the thread back up to the top.

willowbankbear
11-Jun-06, 22:56
Is this no trolling? close this thread please, it is tedium time now:roll:

angela5
11-Jun-06, 23:38
Is this no trolling? close this thread please, it is tedium time now:roll:

I thought something was mentioned before about bringing up old threads?:roll:

connieb19
12-Jun-06, 19:00
I thought something was mentioned before about bringing up old threads?:roll:Is this why you keep bringing it back to the top?..lol:roll:

George Brims
13-Jun-06, 01:38
When the clean-cut young men in the nice suits carrying their zip-up LDS Bibles, or the Jehovah's Witnesses, or whatever, come to the door, I find it useful to tell them I already have a religion. I am an Evangelical Hedonist. They are usually still at the looking puzzled stage as I thank them for calling and gently close the door.

Chillie
13-Jun-06, 01:46
I think if someone votes, it brings the thread back up to the top.

I thought when the poll was closed that was it, no more posting's:confused:

scrapydoo
13-Jun-06, 01:49
When the clean-cut young men in the nice suits carrying their zip-up LDS Bibles, or the Jehovah's Witnesses, or whatever, come to the door, I find it useful to tell them I already have a religion. I am an Evangelical Hedonist. They are usually still at the looking puzzled stage as I thank them for calling and gently close the door.

I can't possibly post what i say to them when they knock on my door [evil] i would be spending the next month in org jail [lol]

crayola
16-Jun-06, 22:53
I think if someone votes, it brings the thread back up to the top.It musta been a resurrection. :lol:

No, really, I think Ann is right.

pultneytooner
16-Jun-06, 22:57
ditch religion, live life the best you can.;)

abalone
18-Jun-06, 12:08
I was brought up a Christian but when I attend church from choice(not weddings or funerals) then I go to a Spiritualist church.

katarina
18-Jun-06, 13:25
I was one of those who weren't too sure about religion; was an atheist once, then agnostic (or perhaps gnostic) until something that happened in Fuerta Ventura some years ago. Long story but it made me realise that we are not alone!:grin:

Do tell.......

Ricco
18-Jun-06, 14:11
Do tell.......

I have already related the event to Canuck so I guess I can here. My wife and I had gone to the big beach at Correlejo and while she was sunbathing I went in the surf along with some other adults. It was quite rough and the red flags were flying. Great fun diving through the breakers!

Anyway, I heard a child screaming and looked around - just along the same trough as me was a young girl - possible about 10 y.o. She was being pounded under by the breakers and was screaming every time she surfaced. I looked around to see if the life guards had spotted her and no-one else seemed to be aware.

Crap, I thought, its gotta be me. (Sorry about the C word, but it was what I thought) so I swam over to her. She, of course, immediately went for the neck hold but I managed to get her to loosen her grip after a moment. She turned out to be German and couldn't speak English... and I don't speak much German.

I tried swimming one-handed but was also being pounded under and there was a slight undertow. I was beginning to get a bit scared as I was getting tired. I even considered breaking her free to save nyself. At this point a calm voice in my head said to not worry - swim back to where I had been and I would be able to get my feet down.

This made sense and I did so. I was able to get myself and the girl out, and then hand her over to someone else 'cos I was in a bit of a state myself by then.

Anyway - that made my mind up. I have gone all 'born again' or evangelical. I only go to church occasionally, but then I feel that if someone is there all around why do I need to go to a building? Oh, by the way, the voice was genderless.

connieb19
18-Jun-06, 14:16
It's strange but I got a shudder down my spine when I read that. I totally believe there is something else..Well done for saving that girls life!!

Ricco
18-Jun-06, 14:23
It's strange but I got a shudder down my spine when I read that. I totally believe there is something else..Well done for saving that girls life!!

Thanks, Connieb - I still get a shudder when I think back to it.

canuck
18-Jun-06, 19:33
Thanks Ricco for putting your story up on the board. You know how much I appreciated reading it when you sent it to me. I am sure many others will have as positive a reponse as I did.

Ricco
18-Jun-06, 21:28
I just wish I knew whether the girl grew up terrified of the water or did manage to get back to swimming.

katarina
18-Jun-06, 22:34
You gave me a shudder too. But I'm sure some of the more scientific in our midst will be able to explain it away.

Sporran
19-Jun-06, 19:54
Ricco, I enjoyed reading your interesting story as well. Thank goodness you listened to that voice in your head! Sounds like it could well have been some sort of divine intervention....

katarina
19-Jun-06, 20:02
Guess it just wasn't your time to go, neither you nor the girl.

Ricco
19-Jun-06, 20:30
That is what I am relieved about as well. As for scientific explanation - well, I am a scientist by training before going into education... and I was an agnostic as well. I don't know - the voice wasn't my own memory; it didn't even have a gender. I was quite scared of losing my own life, and deeply ashamed at having thought about loosening the girl's grip to save myself, yet the 'voice' or memory was calm, told me not to panic and to swim back to where I had originally been. Don't know - don't care - made my mind up for me.