PDA

View Full Version : Talmine, near Tongue

landmarker
10-Mar-06, 22:53
We've just booked a cottage here for a July holiday. Does anyone know it?
It looks like a good place to see the northern coast from with Thurso an easy excursion. Extremely reasonable rent. So cheap in fact we've booked another in Banff for May! Not to mention Morar in September !
Did I mention we like Scotland?

willowbankbear
10-Mar-06, 23:10
There is magnificent scenery up there Landmarker,really breathtaking, I went up the North coast road to Durness a month or so ago. I hadnt been up that way since 14 years & I forgot how beautiful it was. I just wish I had taken a camera for Loch Erribol ,Durness, Bettyhill & Tongue at high tide was amazing to me anyway.

Dont know if youve got kids man, but there is NOT much to do but chase wild Haggis round the hill, or go hiking, You will need a car and its single track in some places, but ye cant have everything easy

Fran
10-Mar-06, 23:59
Tongue is a beautiful place, lovely big cave to explore there. my family come from nearby, at Bettyhill and skerray. you really must go there, its a right turn to Skerray before Tongue , the scenery and the beach are amazing and if you go to skerray harbour you can see islands out at sea for miles. you will pass through Bettyhill and farr beach which are lovely too. Have a nice stay, the people are so friendly.

Bill Fernie
11-Mar-06, 00:05
Here are my Talmine photos incase you have not found them yet
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/sutherland/talmine/index.htm

For other places around that area check out my A - Z Of Sutherland
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/sutherland/index.htm

One Day this section will move to a new home rather than buried in the Caithness A - Z - meant to be a temporary repository.

DrSzin
11-Mar-06, 00:23
Talmine is a good choice landmarker. I love that area. If you get good weather, then it's world-beating. If you get miserable weather, then it's, well, miserable. But you just have to ignore the weather and do it anyway. Fran and WBBear have said it all reading the local area. Well, nearly all. Loch Loyal is not to be ignored and imho Strath Naver is one of the country's "undiscovered" gems. And you should make a trip beyond Durness to the west coast too.

I think you said you've been to Morar before. I love that place too. What a fab beach - from the picturesque white sands by the road to the acres of white sands by the sea. And don't forget to look for elephants in the loch.

I've never been to Banff (Scotland) but I once spent an evening with a girl from there - does that count? I could wax lyrically about Banff (Canada) but I guess that's not gonna be a whole lotta help.

We're off to Balamory in a few weeks. :)

Tugmistress
11-Mar-06, 02:35
I have been over to Talmine on a couple of occassions :) it really is beautiful :)
may i suggest a trip to Smoo Cave (just a bit further west) as that is awesome especially at both extremes of the tide :)

rainbow
11-Mar-06, 07:05
It is beautiful up in the NW tip of Scotland - ope the weather is good for you. I would recommend that you attempt Ben More or the Klibreck - both of them are Munro's and the views are worth the long climb.

airdlass
11-Mar-06, 08:12
Hi Landmarker
Agree with everything which has so far been said about Talmine etc. Was brought up in Tongue and lived in Talmine for a short while so I know the area well.
Haven't been home for a while but as far as I know Tlmine has a shop/post office,craft shop etc. Also Craggen Hotel which is very welcoming!
Tongue has two hotels,the Ben Loyal Hotel and the Tongue Hotel. It also has Post Office, two mini-supermarkets, craft shops, Royal Bank of Scotland etc.
Making me quite homesick writing this!
You will have a great time I'm sure

cuddlepop
11-Mar-06, 14:11
My x husband has/had relations in the bettyhill/Melness area.What i remember of it was its breathtaking beauty.At times you felt no one else was there it was so wide and open.People friendly and helpful ,but like the Doc says you need the weather.
Remember it being very cold and windy,dont think the wind ever dropped in the week we were there.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it :grin:

Saveman
11-Mar-06, 14:30
A lot of history round those parts, a lot of sad stories from the 1800s

cuddlepop
11-Mar-06, 14:48
On the Talmine website is that an old boat wreck nearest the road on the beach,piture8/9.If it is, its been there since 1985 and we stayed the other side of the road:Razz

scotsboy
11-Mar-06, 16:20
Talmine is fantastic, I used to go there camping and diving at least once a year. The coastline is superb. If you get a chance get a boat trip around Eilean Nan Ron.

As the Doc says if the weather is good, there are few better places, but if not it can be miserable. Good food in the Craggan as well.

Loafer
11-Mar-06, 17:47
The breadlady and myself absolutely love walking at Tongue. If you get a chance, park up in the village, get yourself a picnic and walk round the old road. It is about 12 miles and it looks different everytime we go. We were last there about 6 weeks ago and we were in t-shirts it was so warm!!

We always say we are going to walk to the castle ruin overlooking Tongue (canna remember the name), but we are usually to knacked by the time we get back. The photo's from there will be amazing I bet. Maybe next time!

The scenery is breathtaking. Would love to live there, but just too far to travel to the power plant each day! Maybe the lottery will come up tonight!

The Loafer

Saveman
11-Mar-06, 18:23
I'll second Tugmistress suggestion about going to Smoo Cave.....it's is very cool.
You're actually in the last stop on the north coast in Durness (on the main road) before you hit the west coast..... and the west coast is just something else!

airdlass
11-Mar-06, 19:43
On the Talmine website is that an old boat wreck nearest the road on the beach,piture8/9.If it is, its been there since 1985 and we stayed the other side of the road:Razz
On picture 9 which is picture of Talmine Bay you can see the house I stayed in! (2nd white house on top left of picture)
The views from the house were fantastic.

landmarker
12-Mar-06, 14:32
thank you very much for all the advice and tips.
We have only driven around up there the once, this time we'll have time to pause and ponder. Smoo Cave and the 'Craggan' have already been stored in my head along with all the other points of interest. Weather permitting it will be great. We'll be taking a few books, a case of red wine & some dvd's just in case it foul ! At least we'll be up in the right place for a week whatever the weather.

ywindy
13-Mar-06, 23:48
thank you very much for all the advice and tips.
We have only driven around up there the once, this time we'll have time to pause and ponder. Smoo Cave and the 'Craggan' have already been stored in my head along with all the other points of interest. Weather permitting it will be great. We'll be taking a few books, a case of red wine & some dvd's just in case it foul ! At least we'll be up in the right place for a week whatever the weather.

Landmarker,
Check this website to add even more interest to your trip
http://www.mackaycountry.com/Mackay%20Country%20Laid%20hertiage%20Trail.htm
ywindy

Bill Fernie
13-Mar-06, 23:52
The castle overlooking Tongue is Varrich and a few photos of the castle and views are here http://www.caithness.org/atoz/sutherland/castlevarrich/index.htm

landmarker
14-Mar-06, 17:00
thanks. Those url's are now installed in my favourites. The 'Hood' stones will definitely be visited and that one hour walk to Castle Varick looks just about doo-able. I'll have to go into training !

Cheers

Whitewater
14-Mar-06, 17:26
Landmarker, I have been up that way many times over the years, and agree with what everybody has said, it is a beautiful place. You must go for a drive down the west coast a bit from there, the landscape looks like something from the moon, and well worth having a good walk through if you have two or three hours to spare.

Never been to Varick Castle though, must do that on my next trip.

landmarker
14-Mar-06, 18:49
Landmarker, I have been up that way many times over the years, and agree with what everybody has said, it is a beautiful place. You must go for a drive down the west coast a bit from there, the landscape looks like something from the moon, and well worth having a good walk through if you have two or three hours to spare.

Never been to Varick Castle though, must do that on my next trip.

Aye, we know the west and explored a little more last year.
We almost bought a house in Lochinver last year too, but hesitation cost us a bargain. Now the prices have risen sharply. We want to live their some day - the west that is - failing that the next place we shall try for is the far north.

Looking last night I have listed Oldshoremoor near Kinlochbervie as a 'must see' and if the training goes well we might even attempt Sandwood Bay. We are lucky to be up three times this year (touchwood) in three very different areas.

Scotland is our nirvana, there is simply no better place for us to be.

Saveman
14-Mar-06, 19:21
Aye, we know the west and explored a little more last year.
We almost bought a house in Lochinver last year too, but hesitation cost us a bargain. Now the prices have risen sharply. We want to live their some day - the west that is - failing that the next place we shall try for is the far north.

Looking last night I have listed Oldshoremoor near Kinlochbervie as a 'must see' and if the training goes well we might even attempt Sandwood Bay. We are lucky to be up three times this year (touchwood) in three very different areas.

Scotland is our nirvana, there is simply no better place for us to be.

Well you've certainly got good taste Landmarker :D