PDA

View Full Version : damages disparity

landmarker
10-Mar-06, 22:34
A witness in an upcoming criminal trial was gunned to death in 2000 because the Police did not protect him properly. His relatives have been awarded £50,000 in damages. I caught just the tail end of this item on the news ans didn't catch the mans name.

Duwayne Brooks was with his friend of Stephen Lawrence, when the teenager was murdered in 1993. He claimed the Police treated him 'like a criminal' and he has suffered post traumatic stress ever since. He has been awarded £100,000.

The Metropolitan Police is clearly trying to salve its collective conscience over the Lawrence investigation. I find the amount of damages in these cases out of kilter.

gleeber
11-Mar-06, 00:28
The Metropolitan Police is clearly trying to salve its collective conscience over the Lawrence investigation. I find the amount of damages in these cases out of kilter.

Its unlikely the Metropolitan police willingly handed over 100 grand to the man who was traumatised by the attitude of the police officers investigating the Stephen Lawrence murder. They treated these two young men like criminals just because they were black. The white men who murdered Stephen Lawrence were then allowed to walk free because of the incompetance and institutionalised rasicm of the metropolitan police force. Dont forget that.
The amounts of compensation would have been agreed by lawyers.
Whether the collective consciousness of the Met has been pricked or not, I dont know, but what I do know is, if it has it needed to be.

Drutt
11-Mar-06, 10:16
Hear, hear, gleeber.

Alice in Blunderland
11-Mar-06, 10:41
Its unlikely the Metropolitan police willingly handed over 100 grand to the man who was traumatised by the attitude of the police officers investigating the Stephen Lawrence murder. They treated these two young men like criminals just because they were black. The white men who murdered Stephen Lawrence were then allowed to walk free because of the incompetance and institutionalised rasicm of the metropolitan police force. Dont forget that.
The amounts of compensation would have been agreed by lawyers.
Whether the collective consciousness of the Met has been pricked or not, I dont know, but what I do know is, if it has it needed to be.

I agree here the police force handled this whole affair in a terrible manner.The lawyers were doing their job properly to win this award for the person concerned if the polce had not been so rascist in doing their job this would never have arisen.The police are there to protect and defend everyone no matter what colour of skin.