PDA

View Full Version : Bank of Scotland Waring

Kodiak
03-Jun-09, 14:04
I think I picked this up correctly. I just watched the STV News and this is what I think was said. I say I think as it is always possible I picked something up incorrectly.

A Ploice spokesman said that if you receive a phone call from the Bank do Not phone them back on your own phone if they ask you to do so as they belive that there is a stong possibility that your call will be diverted. They say to use a Public Phone or to Phone from a Friends House. It was reported that this happened to a Lady who almost lost £30,000 and it was just noticed in time by the Bank and they stopped this transfer to a bank in India.

Police say that this is a very sophisticated organisation and that they have quite a bit of details of some Bank of Scotland Customers and that have the ability to divert calls from customers phones to their own.

If this is true then all Bank of Scotland had better be aware of this

Stefan
03-Jun-09, 16:49
This can be a problem with any bank you ring back if it's not the bank who rang you in the first place !
Banks do not ring you and ask you to call back to make a payment.
If in doubt visit your branch or make payments online. Never press "7" (or whichever number) to call back when a message was left.

Banks will ring you until they get hold of you or their automated service does. Detailed checks of your identity will be carried out, but I never make any payments over the automated service. I always log into my banks online banking system or else the telephone system where I ring the bank.

If you're worried ask your bank about their fraud protection policy in case such a thing happens.