PDA

View Full Version : caithness might as well be in outer space.

roadbowler
03-Jun-09, 11:35
getting fed up of my ebay purchases culminating into geography lessons... Emails go something like this.... "hello. My address is in caithness. Caithness is the nortnernmost county on mainland uk. Some couriers yes, will try to tell you my address is on an island, but, they are correct, it is on the island of mainland uk. I would suggest the courier check their maps and try again or we find an alternative carrier." In this case, they are trying to tell me additional charges of £95 apply outside mainland britain. Anybody know sensible couriers that will deliver for mainland prices? Thanks.

muffin
03-Jun-09, 11:41
We've had similar problems both sending and receiving, the only way we have found which is reliable and fast is Royal Mail or Parcelforce but Parcelforce are expensive compared to other couriers. We have had buy-it-now items cancelled because of living here.

Kodiak
03-Jun-09, 11:57
City-Link couriers deliver to Caithness, I have had numerous delivers from them and from a variety of differnt Sellers. I have never been charged any extra for gettings goods delivered to Caithness by City-Link

Not only that but I usually, but not always, get next day delivery. City-Link get the goods delivered to Inverness Hub and from there it is AJG Deliveries who transport from Inverness to Caithness.

Shabbychic
03-Jun-09, 12:54
I would also recommend City-Link. I also, almost always, get next day delivery at no extra cost.

annthracks
03-Jun-09, 13:52
Is it long overdue to start a petition for our own postcode and not one from Kirkwall?

I believe that CN....(for Caithness?) is available!

daviddd
03-Jun-09, 14:05
Is it long overdue to start a petition for our own postcode and not one from Kirkwall?

I believe that CN....(for Caithness?) is available!
I don't thinks that's necessary Annthrax (great name btw!) - we have out own local postcode numbers e.g. KW14 for Thurso, and shipping cos are aware of this. I've never had much trouble with this really, just once or twice.

kmahon2001
03-Jun-09, 14:21
getting fed up of my ebay purchases culminating into geography lessons... Emails go something like this.... "hello. My address is in caithness. Caithness is the nortnernmost county on mainland uk. Some couriers yes, will try to tell you my address is on an island, but, they are correct, it is on the island of mainland uk. I would suggest the courier check their maps and try again or we find an alternative carrier." In this case, they are trying to tell me additional charges of £95 apply outside mainland britain. Anybody know sensible couriers that will deliver for mainland prices? Thanks.

That's what really annoys me - the fact that the delivery charges being offered are quoted as applying to Mainland UK, but then we are told that this doesn't include the Scottish Highlands. Surely we are part of the mainland? Or have we suddenly become detached and are floating away without us realising it? :eek:

These courier companies have a real cheek adding surcharges for delivery up here anyway, particularly when the Royal Mail will deliver up here AND to the Islands all for the same price as delivering to the rest of the UK. If the courier companies continue to charge such high prices or, as some of them do, refuse to deliver up here at all, then we will eventually become cut off from the rest of the UK anyway, particularly if the Royal Mail continues to cut back on services the way they have been. :roll: Still, that simply means we will have to become more self sufficient up here - Matthew's new auction site will help with that.:D

Invisible
03-Jun-09, 16:52

I purchased both a laptop and a guitar from ebay, the seller didnt charge extra and i think it was DHL & Parcelforce who delivered.

katarina
03-Jun-09, 21:33
I've never been charged extra for any ebay purchases. I once bought a new mobile though (not from ebay) and had the problem that they thought it was Orkney.

~~Tides~~
03-Jun-09, 21:38
Been charged a little extra a couple of times, but never had to give any georgraphy lessons. Think you are maybe just unlucky.

ShelleyCowie
03-Jun-09, 21:59
i have only ever had to pay extra once for a very large item. To be honest i did not mind because i wanted my livingroom furniture and it was my OH paying! lol.

Never had any other problems so far! I do buy quite alot from ebay aswell.

I do understand though that a few do not realise Caithness is mainland! :confused

BINBOB
03-Jun-09, 23:22
It is not just deliveries that wind me up...after moving here 19 months ago,most of my friends seem to think i HAVE moved to outer space!!!

i get really fed up with their silly comments about how far away i am from them...............elgin,dundee,falkirk.........th at is where most of them are.

i was considering a move to shetland at one point!!only the long boat trip [for the dogs sake] put me off.:lol:

DEEKER
04-Jun-09, 07:37
we order a lot of goods online and have been fairly lucky with delivery,most of the time its very quick and nothing extra to pay.
it does get annoying though when they tell you(euro car parts) that its free delivery to mainland uk,but when they get your address they put a surcharge on it,once when a parcel was late i phoned up to enquire about it only to be told it must have missed the ferry!!

kmahon2001
04-Jun-09, 10:47
we order a lot of goods online and have been fairly lucky with delivery,most of the time its very quick and nothing extra to pay.
it does get annoying though when they tell you(euro car parts) that its free delivery to mainland uk,but when they get your address they put a surcharge on it,once when a parcel was late i phoned up to enquire about it only to be told it must have missed the ferry!!

I had a similar issue when a parcel was late - when I checked the tracking online it said it had been sent from Glasgow depot via land/sea and had arrived at the port (didn't specify which port), from then it had been returned to Glasgow depot and shipped out again via land/sea. I contacted the company I was buying from to find out what was going on - turns out they thought I was on Orkney because of the KW postcode. :lol:

cuddlepop
04-Jun-09, 11:37
Even although Skye has an IV post code and we've had a bridge for at least 10 years couriers argue the toss that we're still an island nd have to be charged extra,

Skye Express are good at delivering anything over here so maybe they should start going north too.....might get my relocation wish then.;):)