PDA

View Full Version : SkyHD+ Box

Rheghead
03-Jun-09, 02:26
In March I ordered a SkyHD+ box through their online ordering system only to be told that the order would take 3 months for it to go through. Then I received a letter last week to say thank you from Sky for my order and to say it will take 3 months to process the order. That makes nearly 6 months to get my box. [disgust] Is anyone else having or had the same experience? Is it just a Caithness thing because there is perhaps only one contractor who can install these things or is it national backlog?

floyed
03-Jun-09, 07:07
Hi there, We had Sky HD installed a few weeks ago, it was ordered online. It took 7 weeks to be installed.

Moonboots
03-Jun-09, 09:15
It is a national backlog.

Everyone is in the same boat. 3 months waiting list then allocated dates after.

kriklah
03-Jun-09, 12:09
i ordered mine (see/speak/surf package)on line but their system screwed up at the time and i had to phone them, found the order hadnt processed tho the payment had, but they reprocessed over the pnone, had to pay for the box again but first to be refunded(was back to me 2 days later). the broadband box arrived 2 days later, and was activated next day, phone changed over the following week and the sky+HD box a week later. all in all from order to complete set up was 2 weeks. id even had a call from chessors with an earlier date to replace box, but as it was a new installation, not an upgrade, i had to turn it down as i didnt have the new sky card yet.

so really why anyone should have to wait 3 months is daft.

Green_not_greed
03-Jun-09, 12:14
It may depend if you are an existing Sky customer or not. I ordered an HD/Sky+ box by telephone about 6 weeks ago and it was fitted by Colin Chessor a week later. I was not a Sky subscriber until then.

3 months wait is pretty bad. 6 months is insane!

GNG

Rheghead
03-Jun-09, 12:37
I think you are right GNG. I've been a Sky subscriber for 17 years now so money is in the bag for them. What really miffs me is that they were quick to take the money out of direct debit quick enough.

Kodiak
03-Jun-09, 12:49
I think you can buy a SKY+ HD Box from Tesco's in Wick, Right at the Back of the store on the back wall just to the Right of the TV's. At least I am sure I saw them there on my wanders around the store.

slinky
03-Jun-09, 13:12
i got my sky+hd box ordered online and installed 7 days later that was month and half ago :Razz

Green_not_greed
03-Jun-09, 13:16
I think you are right GNG. I've been a Sky subscriber for 17 years now so money is in the bag for them. What really miffs me is that they were quick to take the money out of direct debit quick enough.

If your contract runs out soon you could perhaps tell them you don't want to renew it. That'll get their attention!

The best customer service comes from those who have to work at it - i.e. those who have some competition.

mums angels
03-Jun-09, 17:03
I was offered mine 7 weeks ago and got an email last week to say 3 - 5 weeks expected installation . ( we will see but am in no hurry as don't actually care if i have HD or not , just handy to have sky plus upstairs as well as down :lol:)

ANNIE
03-Jun-09, 18:56
Got the same problem ordered sky+ 3 months ago and still not got it and have been a customer for about 15 years

ShelleyCowie
03-Jun-09, 21:13
It took 5 weeks for me to get Sky+ fitted. Wish i had just got the HD one at the time cos now my OH wants it but i cant be bothered with the hassle.

Hope you get it sorted soon!

Rheghead
02-Sep-09, 12:36
I was finally able to seal the offer from Sky this week then I saw the monthly cost of £58 and thought better of it. I'm not paying that much for high definition!:lol:

Kevin Milkins
02-Sep-09, 12:53
There is an interesting discusion going at the moment on radio 2 Jeremey Vine show about whether these box's should be turned off at night or when not at home as one consumer had his house burned down because of a fault.:eek:

Tellyaddict
02-Sep-09, 13:15
I ordered my sky+ HD box by telephone on 28 January this year and I got it installed last week and I have been a customer with Sky since 20 years!

stixie
02-Sep-09, 13:54
Hello

I got mine almost instantly about a montha nd a half ago.

Maybe the problem is that Tesco did an offer of free Sky HD+ if you bought a tv through them, and its jammed the system!

Goodness knows, hope you get it soon though.

Bobinovich
02-Sep-09, 14:18
There is an interesting discusion going at the moment on radio 2 Jeremey Vine show about whether these box's should be turned off at night or when not at home as one consumer had his house burned down because of a fault.:eek:

I have my TV, DVD & Sky box on a remote socket which gets turned off when they're not in use - it can sometimes go days before it's needed! My only problem is that when I switch it on it can take up to an hour before I get a signal back!

I have phoned Sky and they have run through tests on the box (which tests fine), and say it's unlikely to be anything to do with me switching it off, therefore it must be my dish that is out of alignment. But, as I explained to them, if that's the case why does the signal return to full strength an hour or so after it goes on???

They are unable to explain that one, so I've either got to go to the expense of getting someone in to check the dish & signal before they will admit there may be a problem with the box, or just remove the Sky box from the remote switch and leave it on, which is by far the easier option! :roll:

crayola
02-Sep-09, 14:21
I was finally able to seal the offer from Sky this week then I saw the monthly cost of £58 and thought better of it. I'm not paying that much for high definition!:lol:
You can get HD with freesat. That's the BBC/ITV version of freesat, not the Sky product which very confusingly has the same name.

Freesat (http://www.freesat.co.uk/)

grumpy1
02-Sep-09, 16:24
In March I ordered a SkyHD+ box through their online ordering system only to be told that the order would take 3 months for it to go through. Then I received a letter last week to say thank you from Sky for my order and to say it will take 3 months to process the order. That makes nearly 6 months to get my box. [disgust] Is anyone else having or had the same experience? Is it just a Caithness thing because there is perhaps only one contractor who can install these things or is it national backlog?

we had the same hassle...we kicked off when my old box broke down an they expected us to fork out for an engineer visit....couldnt understand why the cost of the repairs for an old manky box were dearer than there upgrade packages..(which we were never offered)
after a good old who ha we got our upgrade (sky+) and our hd box (which we had waited for on an endless 3mth waiting list) all within a week ....it was well worth the hassle of kicking off.....

grumpy1
02-Sep-09, 16:26
Hello

Maybe the problem is that Tesco did an offer of free Sky HD+ if you bought a tv through them, and its jammed the system!

:lol: thats right blame tesco again....

davie
02-Sep-09, 16:52
Ordered Sky HD online 3 months ago and had an email saying 3 months wait. After a month another email saying 3 months wait. Another month went by and same email with same 3 months wait !!.
I went direct to Colin Chessor and had the new box installed and working in a week - same price as Sky online.

im behind you
02-Sep-09, 17:11
Hello

grumpy1 i cant see why you are blaming tesco. on this quote they are just on about the offer tesco had on when you bought a tv you got a free hd box i took the offer. when you think about it how many other people took this offer up around the uk quite a few i would of thought and maybe sky cant keep up with the orders that has been coming in with this deal nothing really to do with tesco or else it has put mr beggs shop out of business. then i suppose you could blame tesco then.

weeksider
02-Sep-09, 17:20
I got friends on to sky and got the free HD Box package ,they got there weeks ago installed but still waiting for my box to be updated/delivered .
my last month's bill was £112

BINBOB
02-Sep-09, 21:20
You can get HD with freesat. That's the BBC/ITV version of freesat, not the Sky product which very confusingly has the same name.

Freesat (http://www.freesat.co.uk/)

Can u please tell me which channels[roughly] that u get with FREESAT ??
thank u.

weegie
02-Sep-09, 21:44
I know its not skyHD but we ordered sky+ online and it was installed within 4 days so I dont think its a backlog and with regards to leaving devices on standby overnight , my wife left our tv on standby as normal , granted it wasnt brand new but it was nowhere near old , and she went into town , our flat burned to the ground and the fireservice (Im not claiming to be a fireman so please dont correct the following ) said it was most likely dust creating a spark when entering the vents at the back of the TV . We switch everything off every night including broadband unless im downloading some legal content as a result but we dont swith off the firidge freezer weird eh

badger
02-Sep-09, 22:00
Is is worth getting HD? We'll be having 3D soon and need to replace the whole set anyway. Then in 7 years we'll have power cuts because there won't be enough supply so what then? Back to playing charades :(

Rheghead
02-Sep-09, 22:13
Then in 7 years we'll have power cuts because there won't be enough supply so what then? Back to playing charades :(

Well you know what to do then.

crayola
02-Sep-09, 22:51
Can u please tell me which channels[roughly] that u get with FREESAT ??
thank u.
They're listed on the freesat website (http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main).

Freesat broadcasts BBC HD and ITV HD but I've just noticed 'ITV HD is not currently available to STV and UTV viewers.' How does satellite TV know where you are? It's not as if your dish beams a signal back to the satellite shouting 'I'm in the STV area' or does it? :confused

I find it funny that Virgin advertise their fibre-optic cable TV and broadband on the Org. Do they not know where Caithness is or have they clandestinely laid fibre-optics to every house without anyone noticing? :confused

The Oracle
02-Sep-09, 23:03
They're listed on the freesat website (http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main).

Freesat broadcasts BBC HD and ITV HD but I've just noticed 'ITV HD is not currently available to STV and UTV viewers.' How does satellite TV know where you are? It's not as if your dish beams a signal back to the satellite shouting 'I'm in the STV area' or does it? :confused

I find it funny that Virgin advertise their fibre-optic cable TV and broadband on the Org. Do they not know where Caithness is or have they clandestinely laid fibre-optics to every house without anyone noticing? :confused

It doesn't, when you set up your FreeSat box or FreeSat TV it asks for your Region so that you get your local content.

If you choose STV you can still get ITV HD on ITV London (Channel 677).

crayola
02-Sep-09, 23:14
Thanks for clarifying that. You can probably tell I've only ever had Freeview and Virgin Media.