PDA

View Full Version : Social Work

wicker
10-Mar-06, 21:07
I desperately need to get myself a proper career and been thinking about what would interest me, always wanted to join police force but that aint going to happen so been thinking about social work. Does anyone here work in this line of work or know anyone that does. What sort of qualifications would i need, what sort of work does it entail. Any info much appreciated, thank you

Drutt
10-Mar-06, 21:39
Have a look at this site (http://207.45.112.173/).

landmarker
10-Mar-06, 21:53
I know it pays quite well these days.
Good luck.

Fran
11-Mar-06, 00:11
I desperately need to get myself a proper career and been thinking about what would interest me, always wanted to join police force but that aint going to happen so been thinking about social work. Does anyone here work in this line of work or know anyone that does. What sort of qualifications would i need, what sort of work does it entail. Any info much appreciated, thank you
you would need to go on a course of social work for 1-2 years then decide what part of social work you want to be involved with and train for that. why not phone the social work department for a brochure to see. Have you thought about the ambulance se

rvice, where you could be a care assistant or technician(must have driving licence) if you didnt want to be a paramedic.
A good site for you re social workers is www.totaljogbs.com or type social work in google and you will get a large choice of sites.

wicker
11-Mar-06, 09:19
Have you thought about the ambulance service, where you could be a care assistant or technician(must have driving licence) if you didnt want to be a paramedic.

I have a drivers licence but thought with that you would need to have done medical stuff before??

98elite
11-Mar-06, 10:50
It really depends if you want to train as a social worker or start out as a social care worker, locally the council advertise once a year for trainee social workers for this you would need 120 academic credits to your name ie an HNC or similar course through the Open University plus experience through volunteering, relief work etc, if successful you would then go on to do your degree through Robert Gordons University in Aberdeen while in post gaining experience, imo its a great set up. Many people start out as social care workers in Children's homes, homes for the elderly or working on projects like Surestart and progressing their careers gradually through NVQ/SVQ and so on and the moneys not bad either, there are lots of opportunities once you are in post, one thing to bare in mind is that the vast majority of jobs include shift work but I suppose if you fancy the Police then shifts wont be a problem, hope this helps.

DrSzin
11-Mar-06, 15:04
It really depends if you want to train as a social worker or start out as a social care worker, locally the council advertise once a year for trainee social workers for this you would need 120 academic credits to your name ie an HNC or similar course through the Open University plus experience through volunteering, [...]At what level do the 120 points have to be? The Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/sqa_nu_display.jsp?pContentID=4596&p_applic=CCC&p_service=Content.show&) (SCQF) defines 12 levels of qualifications from level 1 (Access 1) through level 12 (Doctorate). Since you mentioned an HNC, I would guess that the 120 points have to be at level 7 (or higher). Advanced Highers and many (most?) first-year university courses are also level 7. That seems quite a high requirement to have before even starting training.

Today's Herald claims that there's a huge shortage of social workers in Scotland at the moment. In some areas 50% of social work positions are currently unfilled. The average may have been as high as 40%. So it appears that there are lots of jobs for you to aply for wicker!

(I will add a link to the Herald article if and when they update their website.)

Considering the amount of training required and the responsibility involved, I didn't think social workers were particularly well-paid. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

weefee
11-Mar-06, 15:15
im currently studying through the open university, understanding health and social care, it takes 9 months and will give me 60 credits, which is half an HNC. I have to say i am very impressed with how the course is laid out and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in this line of work.

if you are on benefits you can do this course for free, as it is considered part time and won't interfere with "looking for work" , you can study one 60 credit course a year for free.

wicker
11-Mar-06, 15:26
Thanks for the info

Im currently in full time employment been here 7 year and have to say i really do not enjoy it at all only stick it cos i need money to pay bills.
I have the open university booklet at home but closed the book when i seen how many courses was in it got confused with the choice and which one to do.

cuddlepop
11-Mar-06, 15:59
Wicker,I'd be very careful when chosing your course.Social Work will not be a stand alone agency in a few years.Just now the split is happening,with the social work part for kids going to education.The elderly going to health.Domestic's to housing and volantary sector.
Look for something thats quiet wide.Have been trying to do a BA in Health and Welfare.Its delivered through .Ina.Maciver@lews.ac.uk. (UHI.Ina.Maciver@lews.ac.uk.)
I dont like this form of delivering education as its too isolating.
Wish you luck in what ever you decide to do :grin:

Fran
12-Mar-06, 01:51
no you dont need previous health experience as you go on a residential course at Peebles, different courses and length of course depending what you want to do. You could go to the Scottish Ambulance service web site which will give you all sorts of information.
I have a drivers licence but thought with that you would need to have done medical stuff before??