PDA

View Full Version : Metal detector !

rich62_uk
02-Jun-09, 19:21
Would any kind soul have a metal detector that I could borrow for an afternoon, I have lost a bolt to my garden strimmer in the grass, I have tried dragging a high power magnet through the grass, raking, and been on my hands and knees for many hours much to the amusment of my dear lady wife.

The bolt cannot be replaced as its a left hand thread, without it the strimmer is beyond repair.

Small gift waiting for kindly soul......:D

I live near Thurso !

annthracks
02-Jun-09, 19:29
replied via PM

rich62_uk
02-Jun-09, 19:33
What a wonderfull area Caithness is already got someone with a metal detector to help out.

Thanks to everyone who looked at the post will come back and tell you the result.

Thankyou Caithness.:D

Bazeye
02-Jun-09, 21:59
Shame you didnt finish cutting the grass first then you would have found it.:lol:

Bobinovich
02-Jun-09, 23:30
If all else fails just take the mower over the grass! Its almost guaranteed that you'll find it, although your mower might need repaired, or a nearby window / leg / other bodily part gets smashed as the bolt hurtles out :eek:.

Just a thought!

butterfly
02-Jun-09, 23:39
Where can you buy a metal detector?

Rheghead
03-Jun-09, 01:24
Where can you buy a metal detector?

Best buy a metal detecting magazine and order one from an advertised website.

butterfly
03-Jun-09, 01:28
Best buy a metal detecting magazine and order one from an advertised website.

Thanks,any idea how much?

Rheghead
03-Jun-09, 01:32
Thanks,any idea how much?

They aren't cheap, but it all depends what you want to do. For a half decent coin shooter then I wouldn't pay less than £250 for new but there are good second hand deals in these mags. For a bees knees model then I would pay again £750 for new.

butterfly
03-Jun-09, 01:55
They aren't cheap, but it all depends what you want to do. For a half decent coin shooter then I wouldn't pay less than £250 for new but there are good second hand deals in these mags. For a bees knees model then I would pay again £750 for new.

Thanks again.:)

annthracks
03-Jun-09, 09:57
Thanks again.:)

You can get a relatively decent machine (a Garrett ACE 250) for around £150 to £200 mark to save you spending too much and then finding you don't like it :) (or finding there's naff all to find except tons of tin foil, millions of old Sweetheart tins, ringpulls, even tyres and wheels!! the soil's too acidic for even decimal coins to survive more than 25yrs on the Dammies...LOL

If you type Garret Ace into ebay, the ones from regton (http://www.detecnicks.co.uk) are are a good purchase or Detectnicks (http://www.detecnicks.co.uk) is another reasonable company.

rich62_uk
04-Jun-09, 08:24
Thankyou so much Annthracks for your visit it was great meeting you and Mrs A. I can now confirm that my grass is completly stripped of anything metal and i now have a fine collection of tent pegs. The only thing that managed to evade detection was the bolt.

Ok so who has got an xray machine that can do my whole garden or the telephone number for Time Team :lol:......

davem
04-Jun-09, 18:09
I'd rather buy a new bit than have Tony Robinson in my garden for 3 days or even one.

joxville
04-Jun-09, 18:33
Thankyou so much Annthracks for your visit it was great meeting you and Mrs A. I can now confirm that my grass is completly stripped of anything metal and i now have a fine collection of tent pegs. The only thing that managed to evade detection was the bolt.

Ok so who has got an xray machine that can do my whole garden or the telephone number for Time Team :lol:......

Have you checked your shed/outhouse/doghouse for the missing bolt? It may have fallen off after a previous use and you didn't notice it until using it this time!

PS How much are you asking for the tent pegs?[lol]