PDA

View Full Version : Employment

K dragon
02-Jun-09, 15:45
is it just me, or is just about impossible to get a job up here anymore?

im talking about normal jobs.

you know things that dont require you to have umpteen references and about twenty years experience, and a degree in quantum physics?

vanman
02-Jun-09, 15:59
your right its very difficult to get any job up here, same with the apprenticeships its who you know not what you now! [evil]

Gizmo
02-Jun-09, 16:30
Suitable jobs just don't seem to exist anymore :(

kmahon2001
02-Jun-09, 17:14
This is not good news for me. I'm only just about to start looking for work and thought it should be relatively straight forward because I'm not looking for a career, just an ordinary job to pay the bills (street sweeper, caretaker, shop worker, warehouse staff, factory worker etc). If all those jobs have disappeared and there's only career type jobs left, where does that leave people like me?:~(

vanman
02-Jun-09, 17:22
up the creek without a paddle! Theres alot of people just like you, willing to take any work just to pay the bills but there just isnt the work, & when a situation does become available its not very often advertised as there always someone at that company who knows someone whos looking for a job, vicious circle but thats the way it is these days:(

K dragon
02-Jun-09, 17:32
street sweeper, caretaker, shop worker, warehouse staff, factory worker

as the above posted,

for most of these you now need previous experience, it makes no sense.

a lot of local shops dont hire now due to recession, and also they all look for prevoius experience.

how do young people fresh out of school, or people coming out of illness get back into work, the schemes and help systems dont work, because its still up to the employer on who they employ.

its truly depressing.

Vistravi
02-Jun-09, 17:53
It's been this way for some time. It's the same in inverness. All the grunt jobs as it is are taken and they're looking for managers.
There's a huge demand for bar staff in ness right now though and i've now got a weekend job in which i have already been warned to be cheeky as i want to the regulars as they're a cheeky bunch. Good thing i can give it back;)

Connor.
02-Jun-09, 18:07
Me too, been searching for a job for the past two months. Not a single thing, it's even more ridiculous because I thought a young college leaver would be fought over. There's nothing going atm though. :~(

Gizmo
02-Jun-09, 18:19
Things are even more difficult for myself, all my working life i have done manual labour work (Storeman/Delivery), but now i find myself with worn out knees and a bad back that prevents me doing the only kind of work i have ever really done, i left school at 15 without even sitting my O-Levels so i have no formal qualifications to fall back on. I need to find a job where i'm sitting down, like Office work, but that's easier said than done when you're not qualified at anything. I've pretty much given up looking for work at the moment, i'm just concentrating on doing Open Learning college courses in computing to get some paper qualifications, hopefully ending with a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician qualification in a year or so, then hopefully i can find some work, or else start working for myself, time will tell.

Connor.
02-Jun-09, 18:23
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician qualification in a year or so

Yeah, I did that on my HNC Computing course. I got the (70-271) passed. I would of thought IT people would be more sought after though. I might end up moving down south or even abroad just to get myself a living...although if an "Island patrol" job comes up in the bahamas, i'm there ;)

Gizmo
02-Jun-09, 18:29
Yeah, I did that on my HNC Computing course. I got the (70-271) passed. I would of thought IT people would be more sought after though. I might end up moving down south or even abroad just to get myself a living...although if an "Island patrol" job comes up in the bahamas, i'm there ;)

God, that depresses me even further, if someone fresh out of college with that qualification can't find work then what hope is there for someone like me who is nearly 38? :(

Thanks for brightening up my night Connor :lol:

Vistravi
02-Jun-09, 18:43

Well you know the hassle i had with getting work. i had to move away to get a job where i actually want to be and am qualified to do.

EDDIE
02-Jun-09, 18:48
I think it always been hard to find work in caithness thats why so many people move away like me.
But dare i say it as much as foriegn workers are good workers they should not be aloud to work in the uk for as long as they want they should all have work permits that expire then that way everthing is controlable.

Stefan
02-Jun-09, 19:00
But dare i say it as much as foriegn workers are good workers they should not be aloud to work in the uk for as long as they want they should all have work permits that expire then that way everthing is controlable.

Two questions spring to mind:

1) Who is a "foreign worker" ?
2) What is "everything" that needs to be controlled ?

Just wondering.

golach
02-Jun-09, 19:21
Sadly this is not a new Caithness phenomena, unemployment has always been an issue, my own father had to seek employment outside of Caithness as far back as 1946.

Fluff
02-Jun-09, 19:28
It sometimes seems in Caithness, its not what you know but who you know!

Stefan good to see you back, I was just thinking to myself the other day wondering where you had got to!

Stefan
02-Jun-09, 19:33
Stefan good to see you back, I was just thinking to myself the other day wondering where you had got to!

I am still here, quietly reading here and there but not much time as I am moving from England to Caithness, with 3 kids (5 bed house), 3 dogs and some other animals. I am doing the packing, loading, transport and unloading all by myself, so been pretty busy and will be for another 2 month...

©Amethyst
02-Jun-09, 19:44
My last stint of job searching ended a year ago. It took me 6 months to find a job! And it wasn't for lack of effort. I lost out to foreigners on a job in Starbucks. Apparently locals can't make coffee. Just as well, now have a far more superior job. However, the fact still remains that the further north you go the less jobs there are (or so it seems).

In Thurso when I left school I couldn't find work for looking, and if I did it was temporary, or so rubbish it didn't matter to me.

Left Thurso for a 'better life' (but if I could do this job in Thurso, I'd be back in a flash). More job opportunities etc. Even in Inverness it's difficult.

I have a feeling it's going to get harder. :(

My OH and I are a couple of the lucky ones, we work in companies where there will always be demand for the services we provide.

Sorry, don't take that as an 'in your face'. But I know what it feels like to be searching for months. I ended up in tears on my kitchen floor one night after a rejection phone call. Couldn't take it any more. Felt like hiding away. Thing is, I didn't give up... and my advice to anyone in that situation would be not to give in.

kmahon2001
02-Jun-09, 21:29
The more I read on this thread, the more concerned I'm getting. :(

As a 46 year old with bad knees and a weak back who has been off sick for a while, I really don't stand a chance, do I. :eek:

Where do people go to sign on round here? Is there a jobcentre in Thurso?

grumpy1
02-Jun-09, 21:46

good for you.. do me a favour an give me plenty of notice.....

ShelleyCowie
02-Jun-09, 21:48
I have qualifications.

But right now i am looking for a Flexi-Time job so i can work around my OH's 12 hour day and night shifts. But no luck. There does not seem to be a job out there for me! :confused

DOCTOR
02-Jun-09, 22:32
I think it always been hard to find work in caithness thats why so many people move away like me.

All foreign workers working in the UK do so legally unless the company is exploiting them. :(

Work permits are issued to all non EU citizens for each individual job. These jobs have to be shown that they cannot be done by an EU citizen ie if a local or EU citizen can apply and do the job then they have prefference.

Work permit is dependant on the employer. If the employer asks for a one month, two month,, three year, four year, permit then that is what's issued.

Foreign legal workers are controlled.

Gizmo
02-Jun-09, 22:41
All foreign workers working in the UK do so legally unless the company is exploiting them. :(

Work permits are issued to all non EU citizens for each individual job. These jobs have to be shown that they cannot be done by an EU citizen ie if a local or EU citizen can apply and do the job then they have prefference.

Work permit is dependant on the employer. If the employer asks for a one month, two month,, three year, four year, permit then that is what's issued.

Foreign legal workers are controlled.

Yes, but EU citizens coming to work in the UK are also foreign workers, they are not controlled.

Stefan
02-Jun-09, 23:16
Yes, but EU citizens coming to work in the UK are also foreign workers, they are not controlled.

So you are telling me because I wasn't born in the UK I am an uncontrolled individual ???
Where is that going to lead ?

Should I go back to where my mother gave birth to me and tell my children I have to leave them behind because they were born in a different country to me ?

Or should I take them with me and turn them into uncontrolled individuals ?

EDDIE
02-Jun-09, 23:32
So you are telling me because I wasn't born in the UK I am an uncontrolled individual ???

Should I go back to where my mother gave birth to me and tell my children I have to leave them behind because they were born in a different country to me ?

Well all i was meaning is the uk needs to start controling the amount of eu workers comming in because the uk is going to be flooded with eu workers if its not already to late

golach
02-Jun-09, 23:44
Well all i was meaning is the uk needs to start controlling the amount of eu workers coming in because the uk is going to be flooded with eu workers if its not already to late
Eddie, a quick question, did you vote for the UK joining the EU, I did not, because I knew this would happen.
If you did vote for EU membership, then I suggest you have been hoisted on your own Petard[lol]

Alice in Blunderland
03-Jun-09, 06:29
Well all i was meaning is the uk needs to start controling the amount of eu workers comming in because the uk is going to be flooded with eu workers if its not already to late

Surely its a case of best person for the job ? :confused

Yes its difficult to find employment when there are so many people chasing the jobs however we are part of the EU and this means that anyone from Britain can work anywhere in the EU as well as 'foreign' workers from the EU being able to come and work here.

As Golach has rightly pointed out we are now in the EU and this is what comes with it. :(

I know someone who employs both local and EU workers and he admits that he has the tendency to employ the EU candidate if suitable on the grounds he has found them extremely hard working, punctual, reliable, polite and consistent with next to no time off for sick. Unfortunately the same could not be said for some of the locals he employs.......... this is his experience and as an employer he wants whats best for him.

The job situation at present is grim but tightening controls on EU workers is only the tip of the iceberg.:)

Stefan
03-Jun-09, 08:29
Well said Alice,

Germany used to have a very high number of unemployed people despite EU workers needing a work permit. Now EU workers don't need a permit any more unemployment hasn't improved...

I think it's totally unrelated.

Gizmo
03-Jun-09, 08:32

What i'm saying is that anyone (EU citizen or otherwise) not born in the UK should only be allowed to work in the UK for a permitted period of time, after that they either apply for citizenship or go back to their home country, the UK is in a bad way at the moment, and will be for some time yet, the last thing it needs is hundreds of thousands of EU workers clogging up the system and making it worse for those of us who were born here, there is a good reason that these masses of EU citizens, and especially eastern europeans, want to come here and work in the UK, in a nutshell...it's because it's a much better country than the place they were born, you don't see a mass exodus of UK citizens heading to Poland etc to find work...do you?...wonder why??

golach
03-Jun-09, 08:45
the UK is in a bad way at the moment, and will be for some time yet, the last thing it needs is hundreds of thousands of EU workers clogging up the system and making it worse for those of us who were born here,

Uk is in a bad way employment wise because many thousands of UK born citizens will not work or want to work, and are ready to live off the state.
If we toughened up our benefit system and made the shirkers work the UK would be better off.

Why just pick on the Polish as an example? There are as many UK citizens working in Spain and I am sure they are in many EU countries too.
You make no mention of the many hundreds of Australian and New Zealand youngsters working here, they are not EU/UK born.

K dragon
03-Jun-09, 08:54
im sure the comments being made about foreign workers, are made in the direction of cheap foreign labour.

not europeans who come to carve a life out for themselves in britain, such as yourself stefan.

and many others, but i beleive the workers being commented on a negative way are the ones that come over for a year or two, are given a good wage but is also cheaper for the employer, then they leave and head back home.

and baring in mind, i knew a polish bloke who started work in britain, was allowed work, got the job easily with no major interview, it paid well, was given a house by the council instantly and recieved a foreign benefit payment plan, on top of his wage.

that is blatantly unfair on british citizens.

im not against foreigners or anything, love other cultures, but something needs to be done without singling out the british citizen and the keen foreign worker looking to have a life in britain.

Gizmo
03-Jun-09, 09:00
Uk is in a bad way employment wise because many thousands of UK born citizens will not work or want to work, and are ready to live off the state.
If we toughened up our benefit system and made the shirkers work the UK would be better off.

Why just pick on the Polish as an example? There are as many UK citizens working in Spain and I am sure they are in many EU countries too.
You make no mention of the many hundreds of Australian and New Zealand youngsters working here, they are not EU/UK born.

As the Polish are the most common foreign worker in Caithness they were the first to spring to mind.
As for your ignorant benefit system comment, i've been unemployed for 18 months now, i don't get a single penny from the benefit system, and i want to work, but i can't find work...why?...because there IS no work

golach
03-Jun-09, 09:04
As the Polish are the most common foreign worker in Caithness they were the first to spring to mind.
As for your ignorant benefit system comment, i've been unemployed for 18 months now, i don't get a single penny from the benefit system, and i want to work, but i can't find work...why?...because there IS no work
I am sorry for your personal difficulties, I was not attacking you personally.
If there are no jobs for you, how are the common foreign workers finding work?

Stefan
03-Jun-09, 09:22
It seems that the UK is quickly turning into another Germany where people are happy to live off the state (= tax payers money) or only want to work in the job they got trained in. Employers asking for 2 years experience is not helping the situation.
I was never out of work in Germany despite everybody saying there was no work. I was never out of work in the UK either. Neither have I claimed a single penny in benefits.

You have to adapt to what is in demand. If Caithness needs people to sweep the streets or wash old men, hey presto, that's what I'll do. Besides I already have a job that is unrelated to location, but my children will be looking for some kind of work eventually, unless they decide to move back south.

My partner always seems to find work by starting as a volunteer. As others have said jobs are often not even advertised.

Life ain't easy but if you aren't flexible than life is even harder.

Gizmo
03-Jun-09, 09:40
I am sorry for your personal difficulties, I was not attacking you personally.
If there are no jobs for you, how are the common foreign workers finding work?

I think even the foreign workers are finding it difficult, and i believe that quite a few of the Polish workers in Caithness have actually returned home.
As for my own personal circumstances, i assume you didn't read my first post in this thread where i said that i can no longer do the work i have done since leaving school due to medical issues with my knees and back, my medical issues wont stop me working, they just limit what i'll be capable of doing on a long term basis, that's why i'm doing open learning college courses to get some qualifications.
I did enquire about going to college on a full time basis, but guess what?....there is NO financial help for someone of my age to attend college, i would have to meet the travel costs through to Thurso out of my own pocket...which for the financial year ending 2009 had an income of a big fat zero. There is also the issue of having no high school qualifications, which really limits which courses i could even think about signing up for.
The Government will say that there is help and training available for the long term unemployed....well, i have yet to see a single piece of evidence to support that.

cuddlepop
03-Jun-09, 09:44
Some people are too pround to take a job that's beneath themselves in their opinion.

My own son a qualified joiner will not take a Kp's job in a kitchen and would rather moan about having to live off £90 a fortnight.[disgust]

My X is exactly the same and my Oh through no fault of his own will not be able to work in the hotel trade.Luckily he got a start back on the lorry and will be expected to work at least 50 hrs a week and "work" round his tacho.

Me,I'm a qualified person who has cleaned in the past but can no longer as I developed a dust allergy and now a "professional" carer on £50.50 a week.:(

golach
03-Jun-09, 09:59
Gizmo, you are in a Catch 22 situation I can see, and I do sympathies, I would suggest a change of scenery from Caithness to an area where you may receive more help, I know this is not the ideal situation, and may be repugnant to many. My father did this in 1946, moved from a farm in Caithness to a farm in Perthshire, where he stayed for many years, until he took a stroke at 56 years old, he then moved to Edinburgh because there were no jobs where he was, he then got himself a job as a Lift man in Jenners ( a very up and down job) his joke not mine. He managed to hold down that job until he retired and loved it.
I have changed my career a few times also, from an apprentice Carpet Weaver (hated that job) to a Merchant Seaman, which I left only because of my wifes ill health, I then held down several jobs in the Catering trade, waiting tables , barman, Wine Butler, I took another change in direction and became a postman for 8 years, I then changed direction once more, took a £1.50 a week drop in wages and joined HM Customs, where I changed jobs from security, to Intelligence officer, Estate Management, and finally before I retired I became transport Officer for Scotland, Wales and N Ireland.
I am not praising myself or comparing myself to you Gizmo, the point of this post is, that I changed my life a few times and had to move away from those I loved. but all for the best eventually.

balto
03-Jun-09, 10:17
you seen to need experiance and qulifications for even the easiest jobs these days, i know someone who got turned down for a cleaning job as they got someone better quilified.

Gizmo
03-Jun-09, 11:21
Gizmo, you are in a Catch 22 situation I can see, and I do sympathies, I would suggest a change of scenery from Caithness to an area where you may receive more help, I know this is not the ideal situation, and may be repugnant to many. My father did this in 1946, moved from a farm in Caithness to a farm in Perthshire, where he stayed for many years, until he took a stroke at 56 years old, he then moved to Edinburgh because there were no jobs where he was, he then got himself a job as a Lift man in Jenners ( a very up and down job) his joke not mine. He managed to hold down that job until he retired and loved it.
I have changed my career a few times also, from an apprentice Carpet Weaver (hated that job) to a Merchant Seaman, which I left only because of my wifes ill health, I then held down several jobs in the Catering trade, waiting tables , barman, Wine Butler, I took another change in direction and became a postman for 8 years, I then changed direction once more, took a £1.50 a week drop in wages and joined HM Customs, where I changed jobs from security, to Intelligence officer, Estate Management, and finally before I retired I became transport Officer for Scotland, Wales and N Ireland.
I am not praising myself or comparing myself to you Gizmo, the point of this post is, that I changed my life a few times and had to move away from those I loved. but all for the best eventually.

I understand your points fully, but moving away from Caithness for possible (but not guaranteed) better job prospects would more than likely mean moving to a City, i'd rather put a rope round my neck than live in a city, that may sound a bit extreme, but i could think of nothing worse than living in a highly populated area, these days i generally avoid social interaction as much as possible, so living in a city is something i would refuse to do.
There is also the financial implications of moving, it costs a small fortune to do these days, money which we just don't have, and for us personally there is also the issue of it being damn near impossible to find rented accommodation that will allow our family pets.
It's taken me a long time to find peace within myself, i'm not about to turn that upside down and jeopardise it by moving away.

Ash
03-Jun-09, 11:32
I have qualifications.

But right now i am looking for a Flexi-Time job so i can work around my OH's 12 hour day and night shifts. But no luck. There does not seem to be a job out there for me! :confused

me too shelley, OH does same shifts as yours, its hard getting something, my wee girl goes into P1 this year so fingers crossed i can get something for when she is in school full time, for now being an Avon rep will have to do

Stefan
03-Jun-09, 11:57
I understand your points fully, but moving away from Caithness for possible (but not guaranteed) better job prospects would more than likely mean moving to a City, i'd rather put a rope round my neck than live in a city, that may sound a bit extreme, but i could think of nothing worse than living in a highly populated area, these days i generally avoid social interaction as much as possible, so living in a city is something i would refuse to do.

Having lived in a large city for many years, where I could go for days without speaking to anybody, and living in a rather large town on a main road now... I can tell you from experience: you will not need to socialize with anybody. I don't even know my direct neighbours...At the moment I know more people in Caithness, even though I don't even live there full time yet...

Suppose that doesn't make it nicer living in the city but I wouldn't worry about having to talk to people.

I think you are doing the right thing by getting qualifications that mean you can be self employed and work for anybody. In times of the Internet you can even work online.

I used to be a self employed web designer and most of my clients were from Germany even though I didn't live there.

kmahon2001
03-Jun-09, 13:30
There is also the financial implications of moving, it costs a small fortune to do these days, money which we just don't have, and for us personally there is also the issue of it being damn near impossible to find rented accommodation that will allow our family pets.
It's taken me a long time to find peace within myself, i'm not about to turn that upside down and jeopardise it by moving away.

Surely this is half the problem. The government is concerned about the decline in population in rural areas, and in Scotland as a whole, but if people are having to move so far away to find jobs, then the decline is only going to continue. We need enough local jobs of all types, from menial right through to executive and professional, to keep the population levels up.

It's all very well some people on this thread saying that the unemployed aren't flexible enough and aren't prepared to do menial jobs, but this thread started off saying that it's the menial jobs that people are having trouble getting. I, personally, am more than prepared to sweep streets, clean loos, stack shelves etc, but it appears that the employers have increased their qualification and experience criteria beyond reason.

Rheghead
03-Jun-09, 14:51
I can still hear Norman Tebbit's pearl of wisdom ringing in my ears.:lol:

kmahon2001
03-Jun-09, 15:04
I can still hear Norman Tebbit's pearl of wisdom ringing in my ears.:lol:

Trouble is, who can afford a bike? [lol]

ShelleyCowie
03-Jun-09, 16:18
me too shelley, OH does same shifts as yours, its hard getting something, my wee girl goes into P1 this year so fingers crossed i can get something for when she is in school full time, for now being an Avon rep will have to do

They are terrible shifts to work around aint they! Think its because they dont work the same days each week! :(

Ash
03-Jun-09, 16:35
They are terrible shifts to work around aint they! Think its because they dont work the same days each week! :(

thats exactly the problem

EDDIE
03-Jun-09, 17:09
Eddie, a quick question, did you vote for the UK joining the EU, I did not, because I knew this would happen.
If you did vote for EU membership, then I suggest you have been hoisted on your own Petard[lol]

No i did not vote for the joing of the eu

EDDIE
03-Jun-09, 17:22
Surely its a case of best person for the job ? :confused

Yes its difficult to find employment when there are so many people chasing the jobs however we are part of the EU and this means that anyone from Britain can work anywhere in the EU as well as 'foreign' workers from the EU being able to come and work here.

As Golach has rightly pointed out we are now in the EU and this is what comes with it. :(

I know someone who employs both local and EU workers and he admits that he has the tendency to employ the EU candidate if suitable on the grounds he has found them extremely hard working, punctual, reliable, polite and consistent with next to no time off for sick. Unfortunately the same could not be said for some of the locals he employs.......... this is his experience and as an employer he wants whats best for him.

The job situation at present is grim but tightening controls on EU workers is only the tip of the iceberg.:)

The case of its the best person for the job i would disagree in this day age its who is cheapest to employ.
What employer needs to start reliseing foriegn people are only spending money in our country when the have to and there sending the rest of the money back to there own country thats not good for our econemy is it and the more local people unemployed the more benifits have to be payed out so taxes goes up. so it does have knock back effect.
Foriegn workers are good workers and decent people but charity should begin at home and i do think all eu workers should have work permits with an expiry date on it.
If you take a country like poland the size of poland and its population and the amount of people over there that are unemployed or seeking a better lifestyle they could flood the uk big time.

Alice in Blunderland
03-Jun-09, 18:22
The case of its the best person for the job i would disagree in this day age its who is cheapest to employ.

I will agree to disagree with you on this one. In some cases you will be right and in others I will. The employer also has to make money so is on the lookout for the best person for the job at the most competitive price. Workers legally employed are covered by minimum wage etc, etc, so the employer will have to pay the going rate no matter where you originate from.

What employer needs to start reliseing foriegn people are only spending money in our country when the have to and there sending the rest of the money back to there own country thats not good for our econemy is it and the more local people unemployed the more benifits have to be payed out so taxes goes up. so it does have knock back effect.

And these foreign workers dont pay tax into this system nor do they buy food, rent a house ? They also have to live in this country which is putting at least some of their money back into the system. British workers are not told where and what to spend their money on so no-one else can be told what to do with their money either. Goodness next it will be holiday at home because you must spend your wages in Britain. :confused

Foriegn workers are good workers and decent people but charity should begin at home and i do think all eu workers should have work permits with an expiry date on it.

All that will happen then is that the work permit will be renewed when the expiry date comes round and the employer will pay for this one. The same as work permits have to be renewed presently for non EU workers.

If you take a country like poland the size of poland and its population and the amount of people over there that are unemployed or seeking a better lifestyle they could flood the uk big time.

Well unfortunately the Polish people have a reputation for being hard workers unlike the Brits. :(

Thats it in a nutshell the reputation for being work shy, benefit dependant, is the biggest hurdle that some of the Brits have to get over when looking for jobs NOT foreign workers. ;)

youoldduffer
03-Jun-09, 20:17
Its when you go for a job and dont get it and find out later that you were over qualified???, thats depressing.
I've actualy been asked at an interview why did i want the job when i was obviously over qualified for the position and giving the answer "because i want to work and do not like being unemployed" and still dont get it.
I spent a long time in the hotel trade working my way through the diffrent depts until i was at the top and now to be told I didnt get the job as a KP because i was over qualified.
I hate being on the dole, some of them act as if its their own money we're begging for. I was a day late for signing on due to family sickness and even though i explained why they still decided that i had done it on purpose. I felt like I was something they had dragged in on their shoe.

EDDIE
03-Jun-09, 20:39
I will agree to disagree with you on this one. In some cases you will be right and in others I will. The employer also has to make money so is on the lookout for the best person for the job at the most competitive price. Workers legally employed are covered by minimum wage etc, etc, so the employer will have to pay the going rate no matter where you originate from.

All the employer has to do is pay the legal min wage not the going rate for the type of job thats why they will go for foriegn workers so they can pay min rate

And these foreign workers dont pay tax into this system nor do they buy food, rent a house ? They also have to live in this country which is putting at least some of their money back into the system. British workers are not told where and what to spend their money on so no-one else can be told what to do with their money either. Goodness next it will be holiday at home because you must spend your wages in Britain. :confused

Your missing the point if u had 1 million foriegners in the uk and if every one of them sent £40 a week back to there country thats £40,000,000 a week leaving the uk econemy while on the other hand we have 1 million unemployed uk people how much are we paying to support them in benifits every week thats why we need better control on eu work permits

All that will happen then is that the work permit will be renewed when the expiry date comes round and the employer will pay for this one. The same as work permits have to be renewed presently for non EU workers.

Thats why they need to change the system and put a limit on the amount of work permits issued to keep the numbers down

Well unfortunately the Polish people have a reputation for being hard workers unlike the Brits. :(

Thats it in a nutshell the reputation for being work shy, benefit dependant, is the biggest hurdle that some of the Brits have to get over when looking for jobs NOT foreign workers. ;)

well they are good workers
I was trying to break down the reply i dont no how to do that

EDDIE
03-Jun-09, 20:56
Its when you go for a job and dont get it and find out later that you were over qualified???, thats depressing.
I've actualy been asked at an interview why did i want the job when i was obviously over qualified for the position and giving the answer "because i want to work and do not like being unemployed" and still dont get it.
I spent a long time in the hotel trade working my way through the diffrent depts until i was at the top and now to be told I didnt get the job as a KP because i was over qualified.
I hate being on the dole, some of them act as if its their own money we're begging for. I was a day late for signing on due to family sickness and even though i explained why they still decided that i had done it on purpose. I felt like I was something they had dragged in on their shoe.

If your over qualified the interviewer might think u wont stay long and treating the job they are offering u as a stop gap job until something better comes along.
I have been unemployed in the past its not a nice feeling at all and u shouldnt feel guilty about claiming for benifits thats what u pay ure taxes for and i thnk anyone that can get to 65 without experiencing reduncey is very lucky person
I always say this caithness is nice place to live and if u get a job there u have to hang on to it moveing from job to job like you can do in a city is not something u would do in small county like caithness and if u loose your job its really hard to get another job u want especially if its in particular skill thats why most people move away.

Geo
03-Jun-09, 22:41
Has anyone tried Manpower recently?

Stefan
04-Jun-09, 09:43

This would mean that a person like me who has lived here for nearly 10 years, never sent any money back to the country I was born in, always worked, never claimed a penny but hasn't applied for citizenship, would not be able to live here.

I would be forced to apply for citizenship. Why? What difference does it make to any foreign worker? They could still just live here to work and send money home.

K dragon
04-Jun-09, 19:54
It's all very well some people on this thread saying that the unemployed aren't flexible enough and aren't prepared to do menial jobs, but this thread started off saying that it's the menial jobs that people are having trouble getting. I, personally, am more than prepared to sweep streets, clean loos, stack shelves etc, but it appears that the employers have increased their qualification and experience criteria beyond reason.

the above comment was my point exactly.

but heres the kicker,

im severely mentally ill and have social problems,

i am on a medication prescribed to me by "government assigned doctors"

this medication stops me from functioning properly and is very painful and makes me ill.

i also have on going bone problems in my hands and my knee and feet.

but im not entitled to any type of benefit because i live with my partner, i have pleaded my case and now i have to live off my father.

how can i work when employers are too picky, jobs are scarce, im mentally ill, my mobility is damaged and the government has classed me unfit to work, but they wont give me a measley sum of money to feed myself.

and this is after, contacting CAB, and also contacting PARLIAMENT.

if it was not for my dad, my partner and i would be out on street.

im only twenty two for gods sake, and i feel at the end of my tether,

its unfair and cruel!!!!

Gizmo
04-Jun-09, 20:11

the above comment was my point exactly.

but heres the kicker,

im severely mentally ill and have social problems,

i am on a medication prescribed to me by "government assigned doctors"

this medication stops me from functioning properly and is very painful and makes me ill.

i also have on going bone problems in my hands and my knee and feet.

but im not entitled to any type of benefit because i live with my partner, i have pleaded my case and now i have to live off my father.

how can i work when employers are too picky, jobs are scarce, im mentally ill, my mobility is damaged and the government has classed me unfit to work, but they wont give me a measley sum of money to feed myself.

and this is after, contacting CAB, and also contacting PARLIAMENT.

if it was not for my dad, my partner and i would be out on street.

im only twenty two for gods sake, and i feel at the end of my tether,

its unfair and cruel!!!!

That's a sad state of affairs for sure, and sadly the solution for you is for your partner to give up her work and then you can claim *Disability allowance* (or whatever it's called), which also allows you to claim housing benefit and council tax benefit...the system really is erse backwards aint it?
I'm in a similar position, that i'm not entitled to any benefit money as my wife works full time, now if she lost her job and we had to claim benefits we wouldn't actually be much worse off then we are at the moment...it's just daft.

Your situation really boils my blood, someone in REAL need of help that can't get anything, while countless fat lazy tinks with no intention of ever working, and with not a single family member in employment, claim disability for a sprained toe...or whatever other illness than can convince their GP they have [evil]

Stefan
04-Jun-09, 20:11
Disability living allowance and incapacity benefits are not related to a partners income if I remember correctly. Not trying to be clever here but have you looked into that?
It does sound cruel and makes you very vulnerable.

Heaven forbid something happened to your father and he couldn't support you.

Surely there must be something out there to help you look after yourself.

However, if your partner earns enough so you can't get benefits then surely your partner needs to support you as well.

Somebody else can probably help you better, I am no wiz when it comes to the benefit system.

*Martin*
04-Jun-09, 20:37
http://www.entitledto.co.uk/

K dragon
04-Jun-09, 21:18
incapacity involves partners income, and tax credits

i have none.

never recieved any as i have had on going mental problems for ten years and they are getting worse.

i have applied for dla and was denied, if i qualified i would get 14 pound a week. so thats more than enough to live off.

tried every available avenue.

only hope i have is a lengthy fight for my rights with the government.

and i dont have the peace of mind to do so, sounds silly but my mental health is fragile, does not take much to set it off.

but its typical though

the government tells me i cant work, but they wont pay me to live. im not asking for hundreds, just enough to pay my part of rent and pay some bills and food.

ar1ling
04-Jun-09, 23:23
k dragon, i feel very sad for you, i wish any goveners who reading this will take some action to help you out. good luck

K dragon
05-Jun-09, 14:34
thank you for kind words and support.

put a smile on my face.

K dragon
05-Jun-09, 20:49
does anyone have any idea what i can do?

i feel as if i have tried everything, and exhausted evry available avenue.

shazzy
05-Jun-09, 22:29
The more I read on this thread, the more concerned I'm getting. :(

As a 46 year old with bad knees and a weak back who has been off sick for a while, I really don't stand a chance, do I. :eek:

Where do people go to sign on round here? Is there a jobcentre in Thurso?

jobcentre in wick,tesco had jobs advertised on there board the other day

Boboowest
06-Jun-09, 19:33
Contact Icetech Freezers 01847822200 and request an application form.

We are always looking for positive thinking and reliable people.