PDA

View Full Version : Euro Elections - 4th June

The Pepsi Challenge
02-Jun-09, 04:42
How will you vote? Will you vote?

Well, if anyone is looking to see what party suits their political outlook this is quite a fun wee tool.

http://www.euprofiler.eu/area/scot/

It asks you a few political questions then matches you up to the party most suited to your views, and was carried out by a university in German and has the support of the European parliament, so is not a tool that is angling towards any specific party.

Anyway, here's my 'vote': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-voting

Alien Adrenaline Reflex
02-Jun-09, 10:17
If they would add an option to the end of the voting slip, "none of the above", then I would cast my vote on every occassion. Then they would be able to sort the apathetic from the rest of us.

It is not often tjhat there is a good enough candidate for me to vote for.

annthracks
02-Jun-09, 11:39
How will you vote? Will you vote?

Anyway, here's my 'vote': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-voting

If you don't vote then you have no right to whine about the policies of whichever government is in power :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2422/3588110213_b78f69552b_o.jpg

canuck
02-Jun-09, 11:52
Practical question here from someone who is voting in the Euro Election for the first time. What information is on the ballot? Is the party listed or do we vote for individuals? Or are we presented with names and the parties which they represent? I'm trying to figure out how to figure out who to vote for.

I have happy memories about the last Euro Election. It was held on my first day in Wick. Of course, I wasn't on the voters list then, but as a Canadian it was fascinating for me to see the EU in action.

buddyrich
02-Jun-09, 11:58
That ones similar to mine. Im more conservative than i thought.

hotrod4
02-Jun-09, 12:04
oops I come out as BNP!!!!!:eek:

Kodiak
02-Jun-09, 12:06
I will be voting on the 4th June but I will not post here who I will be voting for it is a secret Ballot.

I will say one thing though I will vote in what I believe is the best way to vote and that is NOT for any Political Party. I will be Voting for the Person whom I think will represent Caithness better than all the others.

I think is far more important than voting for a Perticular Political Party.

Shabbychic
02-Jun-09, 12:07
Double ooops, I'm a Conservative.:eek:

Rheghead
02-Jun-09, 12:18
I will be Voting for the Person whom I think will represent Caithness better than all the others.

I am interested in how you will come to that decision? 'Represent Caithness' without some sort of political reference to your own point of view? I don't get it.

Amy-Winehouse
02-Jun-09, 13:23
Not Labour, thank god for that.

Rheghead
02-Jun-09, 13:23

I came out somewhere near to them but the nearest was Green Party, very left-wing Euro-sceptic. If I took out the immigration influences then I come out blob on Green. I should either be ashamed of myself for being anywhere near the BNP ( yet I don't feel like a racist or thought anything like one.) or I'd expect the BNP have an 'image' problem or the test is rubbish. Why are the BNP called a far-right party when they are just as right-wing socially and economically as the Conservatives and Labour??:confused Their only major difference is with immigration and Euro scepticism etc.

What has totally confused me is that Labour is far too right wing for my liking and too pro-Euro, I've never appreciated before how far they are diametrically opposed to how I think as a sociallist and yet from an image point of view they still seem to tick a lot of the boxes.

I really do think that the Green Party is now the default sociallist party of choice for traditional Labour Party voters as myself yet if a little too left-wing. Basically I feel like in a political wilderness atm.

DeHaviLand
02-Jun-09, 14:58
Oops, looks like I came out as more right-wing than the BNP!:lol:

The Pepsi Challenge
02-Jun-09, 15:01
Related, and funny...

The Pepsi Challenge
02-Jun-09, 15:02
If you don't vote then you have no right to whine about the policies of whichever government is in power :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2422/3588110213_b78f69552b_o.jpg

That's OK, I used to think the same way, too. Then I realised - just a few weeks ago in fact - that I was right to have been suspicious all those years ago.

NickInTheNorth
02-Jun-09, 17:03
Interesting, it selected exactly who I was planning to vote for, a pretty accurate analysis I think.

Bazeye
02-Jun-09, 21:39
Oops, looks like I came out as more right-wing than the BNP!:lol:

Nearly the same as me .

DeHaviLand
02-Jun-09, 21:56
Nearly the same as me .

Now I'm really worried :eek:

Alien Adrenaline Reflex
03-Jun-09, 09:19

Not voting is just as democratic as voting. Just because you have the right to vote doesnt mean you have to vote. Id rather stay clear than feel i must votye for the best of a bad bunch. I can whine all i like if I didnt vote for the party in power. Even if i didnt vote against them i still didnt vote for them

Interesting, it selected exactly who I was planning to vote for, a pretty accurate analysis I think.

I came out between lib dems and snp in the test and that seems about right for me. I wount be voting for any of them until they find a better candidate.

Are there any indepoendents standing? they might be more worth voting for.

I've not have ver4y much junk mail from any of them this year I remember seeing somethgin in from the lib dems but that is about it.

balto
03-Jun-09, 09:27
i will be voting tomorrow, but havent got a clue who though, find myself gearing towards the conservatives. i believe that if you dont vote and choose to waste it then you have no rights to moan how the govermant runs things.

golach
03-Jun-09, 09:29
i will be voting tomorrow, but havent got a clue who though, find myself gearing towards the conservatives. i believe that if you dont vote and choose to waste it then you have no rights to moan how the govermant runs things.
Totally agree with you on this issue, I think the Australian voting system is best, it is compulsory to vote there.

balto
03-Jun-09, 09:31
Totally agree with you on this issue, I think the Australian voting system is best, it is compulsory to vote there.
you never know the country might be run better if everyone got of their behinds and voted at the last general election.

crayola
04-Jun-09, 14:21
I will say one thing though I will vote in what I believe is the best way to vote and that is NOT for any Political Party. I will be Voting for the Person whom I think will represent Caithness better than all the others.

I think is far more important than voting for a Perticular Political Party.Maybe, but how do you decide who will represent Caithness best within the electoral system we use for choosing Scotland's MEPs? As far as I can see not one of the leading candidates has any connection with Caithness. One is from Sutherland originally but she headed down the line a long time ago.

No other ballot I'm aware of in Scotland or indeed the whole UK is more party political than the EU one.

Kodiak
04-Jun-09, 14:59
I think it will be a very low turnout in the election today. Mrs Kodiak and I have Voted but we were thr only ones in then and was told that it had been very quiet all day.

Perhaps it will pick up in the evening, but I doubt it, sad it is that only a few can be bother to vote. :~(

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Jun-09, 15:01
I've voted every time since I've been legally allowed to do so. But not today; today I didn't vote, as my democratic right.

Rheghead
04-Jun-09, 15:16
On the way to the polling station I was stopped by my neighbour who said he spoilt his paper with a big anti expenses message. I thought what was the point in that but understood his anger.

I think a party like the Greens will be an excellent anti-sleaze vote.

Each
04-Jun-09, 20:43
Went to do my duty - Polling station was deserted -

Looks like the election will be decided by the four or five how bothered to turn out.

crayola
04-Jun-09, 22:53
The person in charge of my local polling station said it had been very busy tonight so the result will determined by my community if no other community voted. :cool:

balto
04-Jun-09, 23:05
when i went in to my polling station today after work to do my duty, there was just me and the offical people.

youoldduffer
04-Jun-09, 23:20

Yup me too which was a suprise :eek::eek:

Foxy
04-Jun-09, 23:51
When i went to our local polling station to vote at 6pm, i was told it had been very quiet all day. :roll: I have always voted because if you don't vote you have no right to moan, it only takes a minute to put your cross on the ballot paper.

alanatkie
04-Jun-09, 23:56
We went in to vote just before 6 & there was just us but we met another couple coming in as we were going out. We asked if it was quite all day & they said it had been steady but at that point it had been busier than Wick.

achingale
05-Jun-09, 14:56
I have always voted. The parties have changed a bit over the years but I think it is our civil duty to do so. Sometimes though when you are standing there with the list it is hard to know where to put the cross. So yes, I voted yesterday. I mainly saw older people in the hall at the same time though.